Venice

:(I wasn't able to book an on shore excursion for our second day in Venice. We will be there on Sunday, June 21 until 2 pm. So I was thinking of doing something on our own. I need help as it is our first time there. Any suggestions? madmarti

Venice is very easy to do on your own, what are you doing on the first day in Venice? If you are spending the first day over in the St. Mark's area, maybe on the second day go to the Frari church or the Accademia Museum? More just wandering the Venice streets? What interests you? Shopping, art, churches? You may wnat to pick up one of the smaller guide books for ideas, something like the Venice Top 10 from DK Eyewitness.

If you are interested in history, go to the Jewish ghetto.

We were very happy that we made it there. Make sure you get to St. Marks square. Do not sit down for a coffee in the square, it could cost $30. for two coffees and peanuts.

If you like wine pick up a bottle in a grocery store and find a seat some where and enjoy the people going by.

It is easy to walk around Venice. There are street names and directions to St. Mark, and the Realto Bridge on the side of buildings.

Venice is very easy to do on your own, what are you doing on the first day in Venice? If you are spending the first day over in the St. Mark's area, maybe on the second day go to the Frari church or the Accademia Museum? More just wandering the Venice streets? What interests you? Shopping, art, churches? You may wnat to pick up one of the smaller guide books for ideas, something like the Venice Top 10 from DK Eyewitness.

Agree strongly that Venice is easy to do on your own. It is hard to get lost there. Most signs point you back to St. Mark's area. In fact, just wandering around can be highly enjoyable and very interesting. We ran into a super charming mask shop by doing that. It is so nice in Venice not to have motor scooters and cars to hassle with and/or battle against or hear. Clearly you want to tour both St. Mark's (including on second floor) and the Doge's Palace. Very historic and interesting. Love Venice!!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Venice can only be explored on foot with the ocassional use of the local water buses (vaporettos). The vaporetto company (ACTV) sells mulit-day passes which are a great deal if you make use of the vaporettos and even venture out to the other nearby islands in the lagoon (Burano, Murano, Lido, Torcello). We have never found much use for booking overpriced tours since you are essentially paying for somebody to walk you around and tell you some history. A decent guide book will give you plenty of info (and maps), save you money, and let you go at your own pace. One caution (as mentioned in the previous post) is not to sit down at the cafes in St Marks Square and always look at prices before you decide to eat or drink in any cafe/restaurant.

Hank

Thanks for the suggestions. The first day we are in Venice, Sat. June. 20, we booked St. Mark's and Doge's Palace. We wanted to go to Murano and burano on the second day but it wasn't offered. Then I tried to book it for the first day and It came up on the site there was a conflict of time. So, how hard is it to go there on your own? Although, walking around a little would be nice. madmarti:confused:

:(I wasn't able to book an on shore excursion for our second day in Venice. We will be there on Sunday, June 21 until 2 pm. So I was thinking of doing something on our own. I need help as it is our first time there. Any suggestions? madmarti

You are lucky, as the OPs said you will have a far more enjoyable experience in this wonderful city.

Take the watertaxi either to San Marco or Railto, from there take a leisure walk among the many narrow streets and just enjoy the views and shops. Sign up online for tickets to Dodge's Palace. While in San Marco look to climb the clock tower or visit the St Marks or just take in the square and the wonderful sights. If you are interested you should walk into some of the larger hotels near San Marco as their architecture and decoration is also a sight.

If it is your thing, hire a gondolla ( about 100 euros / 45', can be shared with up to 6 ) and cruise the canals.

As touristy as it sounds maybe take a meal along the grand canal weather permitting. Yes there is better resturants and cheaper ones away, but the views make for something special, and the price isnt' really that bad when you consider what you are getting. A agree the price and experience in San Marco square is less a bargain.

Enjoy, no tours are necessary in Vencie!

Thanks for the suggestions. The first day we are in Venice, Sat. June. 20, we booked St. Mark's and Doge's Palace. We wanted to go to Murano and burano on the second day but it wasn't offered. Then I tried to book it for the first day and It came up on the site there was a conflict of time. So, how hard is it to go there on your own? Although, walking around a little would be nice. madmarti:confused:

These can be booked independent, and likely cheaper. Google it and see what comes up. You might also try some of the online TA sites as they offer tours in most major cities too.

Murano requires a boat ride from central venice. 15 years ago we got a free ride with a salepitch at the end. From what I research online that isn't happening anymore as they get enough interest that they can charge for it :mad:

This is the easiest question of all. The vaporetti go right there--we got on at St. Mark's or San Zaccharia, but you can look at the map at the dock and tell which one you need to hop on. It goes past the cemetery, which is its own island, and drops you off right at Murano. You don't need a tour, just wander in and among the shops. We got off at the 2nd stop and walked about a block and found a nice outdoor cafe where we had a great lunch--and ran into some shipmates who sat down and joined us. Then hop back on and head to Burano--same thing. Trust me, you do NOT need to pay for a tour to see these islands!!

Cathy

Skip Murano the glass blowing island. This is a tourist trap. Instead take the same ferry to Burano, the lace making island. It will take 45 minutes each way to Burano- so if you decide to do this go at 10AM- because you don't want to be late getting back to the ship for sailaway. This means being back on by 4PM usually.

I really enjoyed Burano- it is a little version of Venice and has nice shops.

If it were me I would scrub the ship's tour you have already. I would buy a 2 day vaporetto pass and visit ST Mark's etc on my own.

You can book advance tickets here to avoid waiting in line. (Free)

http://www.basilicasanmarco.it/eng/visite/prenotazioni.bsm?cat=6&subcat=5

There is further information about St Mark's if you explore the above site.

You can also book a secret itineries tour at the Doge's Palace (not covered on the ship's excursions). Your ticket will allow you to remain & explore the rest of the Palace on your own when you have finished the tour.

http://en.venezia.waf.it/museo_dett/28-civic-museums/530-doge-palace-secret-itineraries.html

You can then spend the rest of the time exploring the area at your own pace.

Not sure what time you arrive on the first day & how long you will have, but it also might be worth a thought to swap your days around, exploring Murano, Burano etc on your first day & perhaps Rialto Bridge & St. Mark's Square area when you return, and then using your second day for the Basilica & Doge's Palace in the morning. That way you will be on the island & it will be easier to get back to port for your sailing.

Another good site to explore for Venice is Europe for Visitors.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

& info on vaporetto routes including the islands here.

http://www.venice-rentals.com/info/routes.html

I agree with the person who suggests cancelling the ships tours. We've been to Venice a few times. Easy to book tickets to Doges Palace and St Marks on line. We've booked both for early morning ( first timed ticket ) and had a realy pleasant time before the crowds and heat arrived.

Also suggest buying a vaperetto pass which will enable trips out to Islands, Grand Canel etc. Burano is lovely.

We walked from cruise terminal to Piazza Roma ( Took about 20 mins) to pick up the vaperetto.

Getting to Murano or Burano (this takes about 40 min) is quite easy and is just a matter of jumping on the proper vaporettos. With a simple guide book and map (including Vaporetto routes) its a piece of cake. Both those islands are easily explored on foot from the vaporetto stop.

Hank

:(I'm too chicken to cancel the ship's tour for St. Mark's and go it alone both days we are in Venice. I didn't realize it took 45 mins to get to Burano. Our ship leaves Venice at 2pm, maybe I won't get to see that. Madmarti

:(I'm too chicken to cancel the ship's tour for St. Mark's and go it alone both days we are in Venice. I didn't realize it took 45 mins to get to Burano. Our ship leaves Venice at 2pm, maybe I won't get to see that. Madmarti

Cancel the ships tour and go to Burano and/or Murano on your first day when time isn't really an issue and you have no chance on missing the ship. Then do the Doge's Palace and St. Mark's on your second day. You can book a free time certain entry into St. Mark's so you don't have to wait in line. Prebook the first entry of the day at Doge's Palace and you're set. You should even have time to go up into the bell tower before you have to get back to the ship.

Venice is the easiest place to do on your own.

Here's a link to a review I wrote after our European cruise in 2006. The Venice section includes the websites and phone numbers for prebooking admissions to the sites mentioned above.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=379708

That is such a shame.

What are your concerns?

Venice really is one of the easiest places to visit alone. You don't need to speak the language. All vaporettos are marked with their number & destination. All vaporetto stops are marked with their name. The people in the ticket booths & most cafe's, restaurants, shops etc speak enough English for you to get by.

Hey sparky 1664, thanks for the encouragement. Our tour for St. Mark's and Doge's Palce is on a Saturday, morning. I was thinking of going to Burano in the afternoon. Our ship is in Venice overnight, so we won't be pressed for time. What do you think about that? madmarti:confused::o

Hey sparky 1664, thanks for the encouragement. Our tour for St. Mark's and Doge's Palce is on a Saturday, morning. I was thinking of going to Burano in the afternoon. Our ship is in Venice overnight, so we won't be pressed for time. What do you think about that? madmarti:confused::o

That should be fine. :)

The reason I suggested the islands on the first day is so you could relax & take your time, perhaps visiting both islands, without worrying about being back in time for the sailaway.

When you have finished at the Doge's Palace you could go to the San Zaccaria stop (If you go to the entrance of the Doge's Palace & face the Grand canal, turn left & walk over the bridge & you will come to the S. Zaccaria stop. Take the number 41 to Murano. Get off at the Murano Faro stop (you can have a wander on this island too if you want) and then catch the LN line (I think..anyway, it will be marked) to Burano.

The journey will take a while as it travels round the island to Fondamenta Nove before heading off to Murano, just relax & enjoy.

When you are ready, go back to Murano Faro & then take the 41 back to Santa Marta & back to the ship.

Vaporetto route here.

http://www.venice-rentals.com/info/route-41-42.html

On your second morning why not take the vaporetto to Rialto Bridge & explore the market, the streets, shops & cafe's?

Before you head off for your first vaporetto trip, I would buy a 24 hour water pass. These are actually valid for 24 hours, ie: if you start using it at 1pm on the Saturday, it will be valid until 1pm on the Sunday. You can buy it from any ACTV booth, near the vaporetto stops.

A single journey ticket is currently 6.50 euros, (St Marks to Murano + Murano to Burano + Burano to Murano + Murano to Santa Marta = 4 X 6.50 = 26 euros) a 24 hour pass is 18 euros currently & you can also use it on the Sunday. :)

Also on the Sunday, if you make your way from the ship to the Tronchetto stop, you can catch the number 2 vaporetto to Rialto without having to walk the further distance to Piazzale Roma.

Actually, I've just realized, if you are there at the weekend there is probably a free port shuttle to Piazzale Roma which may be another option for you on the Sunday. What ship are you on?

I'm sure you will love Venice. :)

Edit: Just checked. The MSC Musica will be sailing from Venice on June 21st, so there will definatly be a free port shuttle to/from Piazzale Roma

I would agree with the suggestion to see the islands (Burano and Murano) on your first day when you have no time limitations. Burano is simply too far to do on a day when you must be back at the ship before 2. It would be possible to do Murano on your last day if you go in the morning, but it makes sense to stay on Venice that 2nd day so you have no worries about getting back to the port on time.

Hank

Yes- no sense in going to Burano if you have to be on the ship by 2.

If you go on the first day. Go in the afternoon when most people are coming back. I was there at sunset and it is so relaxing and beautiful there. You can really imagine living on Burano (more so that in Venice). I really love Burano.

:confused:Rebeccalouise, I was thinking of going to Burano on Sat. afternoon after our ship tour to St. Mark's and Doge's Palace. We won't be pressed for time because our ship, Legend of the Seas, will be there overnight. Can you just go to Burano? madmarti

You can get to Burano on the vaporettos (I think there were two lines that went out to the island), but you will probably have to make one vaporetto change in Venice to get on the proper line (we are traveling now and do not have our vaporetto maps). You might also want to keep in mind that the vaporettos can get expensive if you use them a lot, and you might want to consider buying a multi-day pass or perhaps even a Venice Card.

Hank

Someone mentioned earlier to "take a watertaxi" Be aware of the difference between a watertaxi and a vaporetto, as a watertaxi cost a lot more (most rides will set you out 100 euro) I would only really advise watertaxies when you are travelling with lots of luggage and for a fair distance say airport to hotel or hotel to port. However watertaxi is a really cool way to see venice, sort of like a limo ride!

Cheers!

:confused:I am so confused. How do you get from the ship to where you have to get a vaparetto? I'm thinking we can go to Burano on the afternoon of our first day in Venice. We have St. Mark's booked, I had to see that, but we still have the afternoon. The next day is very short, ship leaving at 2 pm. So I'm thinking may be Mass in the am. Can you go directly to Burano without a stop in Murano. We will see a glass factory on the first day, included in our tour. madmarti

Can you go directly to Burano without a stop in Murano. We will see a glass factory on the first day, included in our tour. madmarti

Marti

Go straight to Burano after yout tour. You can catch the number 41 vaporetto for St Mark's at the S. Zaccaria stop. See my earlier post (post 18) for the route map & return journey. As far as I am aware you have to stop at Murano first whichever method you choose, but you have 2 choices.

41 vaporetto from St Marks to Murano Faro stop then get off & catch the LN to Burano from the same set of vaporetto stops.

Or, 41 vaporetto from St Marks to Fondamenta Nova, then get off & catch the LN line to Burano from here.

Either way is straightforward. Don't panic..it is very easy, you will see when you get there....promise. :)

Archived