Using a BlackBerry on Cruise

MissMouse

Before anyone starts, I know I'm supposed to be on vacation, but my job calls for me to be reachable and responsive at all hours for my clients. I do limit myself to checking twice a day -- once in the morning and once right before close of business.

Has anyone used a BlackBerry on RCL? I am going to be on the Mariner going out of LA. Did you get hit with a bunch of crazy charges? My firm pays for it, but I don't want to get a call from the accounting department upon my return... :)

Thanks!

Be it related to work or for keeping in touch w/family -- think it's a sign of the times:).

I'm a Canuck, I took my (personal) BB on my last cruise on the Grandeur. It was on 24/7 (no, I didn't look at that often:D) - over and above my normal monthly data plan I paid out a whooping $13.82Cdn in roaming usuage for 7 days. So no, I didn't get hit with a lot of crazy charges. However, the actual data plan you have (or your company) has may have an effect on what you get charged.

One thing, not all BB's or BB providers are capable of 4quad (GSM) so reception might only work in a US port. My BB is GSM capable (world-wide) so had great coverage even in the middle of ocean.

Enjoy your cruise!

We always use our blackberrys on our cruises. If you have T-Mobile, just call customer care the day you are leaving on your cruise and order the international data service. They charge $19.99 a month for this service I believe, but you can call the day you get back from your cruise and cancel the service and it is pro-rated. This service gives you unlimited email service. It does not include phone calls or text messages though. We also can get on the internet and there is not extra charge, its really nice. Just don't forget to call and cancel the day you get back. We have done this several times and it works wonderfully!

Sprint, our wireless carrier, is available on RC ships while at sea. I've used my blackberry to text message the kids on the Enchantment and the Monarch. Sprint charges: All cruise ship calls: $2.49/minute/Data: $0.020/kb.

While in port, the ship's wireless phone service is turned off, and you'll pay international charges based on the wireless carriers in the country you're visiting.

A lot of the charges depend on your carrier. My DH carries a Blackberry and it doesn't work when at sea, but in ports it is on "roaming". I suggest you check with your carrier to see what charges they impose. There have been some nasty surprises after cruises!

Thanks everyone! I have a BB Curve from early 2008 so I'm assuming it is GSM, but I'll check.

My provider is TMobile. I don't have cell service on the BB (I chose to keep my personal cell separate so I could, in theory, leave "work" behind). I'll give them a call and see if I can temporarily add on the international plan. I did that with my sprint cell phone when I went to Cancun and it worked great. I, however, forgot to call when I got home to cancel the international calling plan, but surprisingly, sprint refunded the charge when I told them about my forgetfulness!

I had my Blackberry on Mariner 2 years ago and it worked fine. There are repeaters on the ship apparently. (My carrier then was AT&T) I don't recall crazy data charges but I did have to make a phone call once or twice and the charges were high. Work picked it up but still.....

Hi all! I am saling this Sunday, March 1st, and I was wondering the same about my BB! Since I live in Puerto Rico, I guess my options are somewhat different with my carrier, T-Mobile. I will call tomorrow and see what they offer.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, here's my update. I was able to connect to the ship's WiFi network, but as soon as I tried to see any page on my BB, I got to a login page that warned me about the 55 cent per minute charge for Internet access. So I did not go further. I saw people with their laptops, and some with BBs and other smartphones apparently browsing web pages, and others obviously talking.

RCCL has a brochure about cell phone usage onboard, and direct people to http://www.cellularatsea.com for details. I could scan the brochure and post it if you want, or send it to your email address.

I brought my Blackberry curve with me to LA for a Mexican Riviera cruise and regardless of whether it was a sea day, or port day - I had no service (Canadian carrier). I think it may depend on your carrier.

-Pet

For the record, I kept the data connection off at all times, and only used it in St. Thomas, when BIS decided to push a million messages to my BB! Even when I turned it off it kept receiving messages! LOL!

Archived