NCL Dining

librarycin

Hi. I am not actually travelling solo, but I am going with a friend. We are not a couple, so we will often be doing our own things at our own times.

So, what I wanted to ask about was the dining. I'm a little concerned with it being "freestyle". What experiences has everyone had with going to dinner solo on NCL?

Thanks so much! :)

I have never had any problem. I did one solo cruise on NCL + 2 with a friend. It's quite easy. Most of the time, if you say nothing, they will seat you at a table for 2 on your own (I sometimes bring a book, just in case I get bored) but if you ask to be seated with others (in the main dinning rooms - I don't think you can do that in the Specialty Restaurants), they will sit you with other people who want to share a table.

What is fun is that, if you meet other people on the ship, you can ask them if they would like to meet for dinner and if they are interested, you can all go together (while with traditional seating, you won't be able to go to dinner with new found friends - unless you book a specialty restaurant).

Teppenyaki is usually fun as a solo since they cook in front of you and it's a bit of a show on top of a dinning venue. If you like Murder Mystery Dinners, you can sign up for it and you will share a table with other participants, so this can also be fun.

I like NCL, solo or not, and I hope you will like it as much as I did. If you have specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Hi - just read your post, very helpful! I will be going solo on NCL but wonder about the nights they offer 2 for 1 dining - would solos get 1/2 off cover or free? I read that on a post before but asked NCL rep and they said no - would have to have 2 dining to get 2 for 1 which would be totally unfair since I am paying for 200% of room cost - should at least get 1/2 off cover.

I'd like to be prepared prior to boarding and see what others have experienced. I am planning to eat at the specialty restaurants too but don't want to have to "argue" for a discount if I should get one.

Most of the time, if you say nothing, they will seat you at a table for 2 on your own (I sometimes bring a book, just in case I get bored) but if you ask to be seated with others (in the main dinning rooms - I don't think you can do that in the Specialty Restaurants), they will sit you with other people who want to share a table.

Thank you for the tips! I've actually enjoyed traditional dining on Celebrity because you get to know your table-mates well and your waiter too. I don't really want to sit on my own - especially if my friend won't be with me. I'd rather sit with other people.

Thank you for the tips! I've actually enjoyed traditional dining on Celebrity because you get to know your table-mates well and your waiter too. I don't really want to sit on my own - especially if my friend won't be with me. I'd rather sit with other people.

Hi librarycin! I noticed you are from Calgary, I am from Cochrane, AB (right next door to you!). I will be travelling on the NCL Dawn March 21st as a solo. This will be my first time on NCL and am hoping that I will be able to enjoy a meal with others from time to time. I am quite comfortable eating on my own, but after seven days it might be nice to have some company once and awhile. Just curious about when you are planning to go and on what ship?

Happy Sailing,

cpcanuck

Hi librarycin! I noticed you are from Calgary, I am from Cochrane, AB (right next door to you!). I will be travelling on the NCL Dawn March 21st as a solo. This will be my first time on NCL and am hoping that I will be able to enjoy a meal with others from time to time. I am quite comfortable eating on my own, but after seven days it might be nice to have some company once and awhile. Just curious about when you are planning to go and on what ship?

Well, hello neighbour!!! :) I'm not going anywhere till October. I'll be on the Jewel for a Canada/New England cruise, departing New York on October 10. I actually haven't booked it yet - waiting for my holidays to be approved at work - but as soon as that's done, I'll be booking and adding a countdown clock to my signature. Can't wait!

Yours is coming up quick! Have a fabulous cruise!

Well, hello neighbour!!! :) I'm not going anywhere till October. I'll be on the Jewel for a Canada/New England cruise, departing New York on October 10. I actually haven't booked it yet - waiting for my holidays to be approved at work - but as soon as that's done, I'll be booking and adding a countdown clock to my signature. Can't wait!

Yours is coming up quick! Have a fabulous cruise!

Thanks! I have absolutely every intention of enjoying my cruise - 25 days and counting!!!

I will be writing a review once I am back with the solo traveler in mind. The Canada/New England cruise is also on my list. I would love to see the maritimes. Perhaps in a couple of years I will be able to do that one as well.

Take care!

cpcanuck

I will be going solo on NCL but wonder about the nights they offer 2 for 1 dining - would solos get 1/2 off cover or free? I read that on a post before but asked NCL rep and they said no - would have to have 2 dining to get 2 for 1 which would be totally unfair since I am paying for 200% of room cost - should at least get 1/2 off cover.

On a recent trip aboard the Pearl, they gave me 50% off (I always dine alone). The first time it happened I didn't even know that a 2-fer-1 was available that night. But, of course, your experience may vary... :-)

Hi, everyone....

I'm going on the Jewel in October. I have always heard that NCL is not known for their food. Now I wonder if those comments were directed at the main dining room, or specialty restaurants. This cruise I am taking is to reunite with friends, or I wouldn't have booked it. My experience with NCL is on the NCL Crown (formerly Orient Line's Crown Odyssey, later sold by NCL), and on the Marco Polo when NCL took over....the food was so unacceptable, that I ended up eating hamburgers most of the time. I hope they've come a long way since 2004. Whatever you can tell me would be great, and rest assured, food will never ruin a cruise for me. Jini

Food is very subjective and I am not much of a picky eater but IMHO, the food is good (not awfull, not excellent but good to very good most of the time - I had only 1 very bad dish in 3 cruises). I had their Cooking Light options many nights and it was always a good choice, very tasty and you don't feel guilty after the meal.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend and I were on the Spirit last September, and the food was great! We never went to the surcharge restaurants.

But I must say that when I was on the Dawn as a solo in November of 2006, I was treated terribly as a solo diner. I was never seated with strangers. I always asked for it, but everyone treated me as if I had three heads, because they had never heard of people being seated with people that they didn't know. And a lot of people choose to sail with NCL because they won't have to eat with pesky strangers! That's the primary reason they sail with NCL.

My friend and I were on the Spirit in May of 2008, and we were always asked if we wanted to share a table. (This surprised me, because, as I said, I was treated so differently on the Dawn.) We always said yes. But we were never seated with anyone else, with the exception of one time at breakfast. I guess it was because even though we were willing to eat with strangers, they couldn't find any strangers who were willing to eat with us.

When we were on the Spirit in Sepember of 2008, we were asked if we would share a table, and a couple of times we did, but the other people were grim and unfriendly (because they had been looking forward to eating by themselves), and they didn't say a single word during the meal (except to talk to the waiter). They didn't even talk to each other. They were too angry about being "forced" to eat with strangers. (The reason they did agree to eat with us was so that they wouldn't have to wait and wait for a smaller table.)

Thanks for all the replies. I actually just went and booked the cruise yesterday! Yay!

vacation luvver, the things you have mentioned where what I was a bit worried about. I suspect that my friend and I will try to eat most meals together - at least in the dining room(s). But, there could be the odd time when we don't.

I knew the dining situation when I booked - and before. But the price and itinerary were what decided it anyway, and I'm sure I'll have a fabulous time, whatever happens during mealtimes! :)

Now, I just need to make my countdown clock work! I set it all up, but it won't seem to work when I try to add it to my signature... :(

... Now, I just need to make my countdown clock work! I set it all up, but it won't seem to work when I try to add it to my signature... :(

At this time, you have three sets of Cruise Critic Countdown Clock code in your signature. Each one is for your 10/10/09 NCL Jewel cruise.

Were you using Firefox as your browser when you generated the codes for each set of clock code? Were you also using it when you pasted each set of code into your signature?

I ask because one of the Mod screens shows me your signature in code only. All three sets of countdown clock code in your signature at this time are corrupted the same way as I have seen in other member signatures. It is due to their using Firefox as their browser when they create, copy and paste a set of Cruise Critic Countdown Clock code into their signature.

To me at the time I type this reply, your signature has three little boxes with X inside each instead of the countdown clocks. I use Internet Explorer as my browser. I can see them, but you cannot if you are using Firefox as your browser.

You need to switch your browser to Internet Explorer. This will help you take care of your Cruise Critic Countdown Clock problem.

All versions of PCs have Internet Explorer installed and it is completely free to use. Locate yours by clicking Start on your computer, then Programs and then find Internet Explorer.

Once you are using Internet Explorer as your browser, log in to Cruise Critic. Look at your signature on one of your posts. You will then see the three little boxes with X inside each as mentioned above.

Click User CP then Edit Signature.

To remove the three sets of corrupt code now showing in your signature, use the Switch Editor Mode icon (A/A) to see your signature in code. The icon is in the far upper right corner of the gray frame around the Your Signature text box. Use the icon to toggle back and forth so you can see your signature in code only.

Place your cursor at the end of the corrupt countdown clock codes needing to be removed appearing in the Your Signature text box. Backspace (erase) the codes. Or highlight and click your delete button. Make sure you remove all sets of code for the countdown clocks. Leave the list of your prior cruises. The Your Signature text box should be empty of countdown clock codes. Click the Save Signature button.

While you are still using Internet Explorer as your browser, go to http://www.cruisecritic.com/vbulletin/countdown.cfm and generate the code for a new 10/10/09 NCL Jewel Cruise Critic Countdown Clock. Copy the code.

Go back to User CP, then Edit Signature.

Paste the code for your new 10/10/09 NCL Jewel clock into the Your Signature text box over your list of past cruises.

Click the Save Signature button again.

This should leave your signature with your list of past cruises and one 10/10/09 NCL Jewel Cruise Critic Countdown Clock in your signature.

If you want to add another Cruise Critic Countdown Clock for another cruise, you will need to repeat the above steps to create and then paste the other countdown clock code into your signature.

You may want to go to the TEST FORUM at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=225 to make a test post. That's where all members should go to see how their signature looks on the message board. Test posts should never appear on any other forum.

After that, you are free to return to Firefox as your browser. However, please remember the next time you want to remove an expired clock code or add a new clock code you must use Internet Explorer as your browser.

082502btw_prv.gif, you had each set of code next to each other. I have placed a blank line between each so you could see where each set starts and stops.

I sincerely hope this information will be helpful, and 080402gudl_prv.gif with your signature!

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

At this time' date=' you have three sets of Cruise Critic Countdown Clock code in your signature. Each one is for your 10/10/09 NCL Jewel cruise.

Were you using Firefox as your browser when you generated the codes for each set of clock code? Were you also using it when you pasted each set of code into your signature? [/quote']

Thanks for the info. I do use Firefox (though I have IE on my computer). I'll just have to remember to use IE when I'm on this site then. I'll fix the multiple signatures when I get home from work today.

Can I make a suggestion? Maybe there should be a note on the countdown clock page when we're setting it up NOT to use Firefox to do so, for the reasons you've stated? I don't know if you can do that or suggest it to someone else? Oh, I hope you don't tell me that there is a note there and I missed it! ;)

Thanks again!

Thanks for the info...

... I'll just have to remember to use IE when I'm on this site then...

... Can I make a suggestion? Maybe there should be a note on the countdown clock page when we're setting it up NOT to use Firefox to do so, for the reasons you've stated? I don't know if you can do that or suggest it to someone else? Oh, I hope you don't tell me that there is a note there and I missed it!...

You are most welcome!

At this time you only need to use IE while creating a Cruise Critic Countdown Clock. You can use Firefox the rest of the time while on the Cruise Critic site.

No, you didn't miss it. At this time there is no such note on the Cruise Critic Countdown Clock page. However, I understand the PTB are aware of the situation and are trying to fix it.

Usually, folks see my Sticky on the TEST FORUM at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=680149 and make their way to the Need Help Using The Boards? Ask Here! Forum at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163 for help with their countdown clocks.

Kat 070106YA43_prv.gif

Usually' date=' folks see my [b']Sticky[/b] on the TEST FORUM at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=680149 and make their way to the Need Help Using The Boards? Ask Here! Forum at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163 for help with their countdown clocks.

Kat 070106YA43_prv.gif

Ahhh. Nope - didn't see that! Someone else just pointed me in the right direction to set it up. I had done it once before (possibly using IE?) but just didn't remember where to go to do it. Thanks again! :)

And a lot of people choose to sail with NCL because they won't have to eat with pesky strangers! That's the primary reason they sail with NCL.

I agree with your comment. As a solo, I usually WANT to dine alone. So NCL works very well for me. But it is obviously not for everyone, especially those who are looking for a more "traditional" shipboard dining experience.

Ahhh. Nope - didn't see that! Someone else just pointed me in the right direction to set it up. I had done it once before (possibly using IE?) but just didn't remember where to go to do it. Thanks again! :)

You are most welcome again!

Glad to be of service,

Kat 050103cat_prv.gif

Thanks, jp2001.

mtwingcpa, I realize that not everyone is like me, so obviously there are people (including you) who are thrilled about having the opportunity to eat alone. I had sailed with NCL three times previously, each time before they adopted freestyle, and when I booked the November, 2006 cruise less than two weeks ahead of time, the NCL employee told me about freestyle, and when I told her that I wanted to sit with other people in the dining room, she assured me that all I had to do was say that I wanted to sit with strangers, and I would be put with strangers, and it happened all the time. I remembered going to the dining hall in college, where there were tables for eight, and twosomes, threesomes, foursomes, etc. were put together into groups of seven or eight to sit a a table. I figured that it would be like that.

So I would ask to sit with strangers, and the hostess would be totally taken aback, and she would tell me that if anyone showed up who said, "We don't want to eat alone! We want to eat with strangers!" she would have them seated with me. However, the waitstaff, as soon as they saw that I was alone, promptly grabbed the extra glasses, plates, and silverware and took them off the table, even though I tried telling them that maybe someone else would be showing up. No one else ever showed up.

There was one really bad time when I sat down, read the menu, decided what I wanted to order, and then put the menu down on the table, which I figured was the signal that I was ready to order. I then took out my book and started to read. Eventually, I looked at my watch, and I realized that I had been sitting there for twenty minutes, and no one had taken my order. I asked where my waitress was, and she came over. She told me that she hadn't taken my order, because she thought that I didn't come into the dining room to eat. She thought that I came into the dining room to read. Oh, I'm sure. I wondered if she didn't wait on twosomes because they were talking to each other, figuring that they came into the dining room to talk, not to eat.

After I had my meal, someone asked me if I wanted coffee or tea. I said tea. Then the waitress took my order for dessert. When she brought it, I started to say that I hadn't gotten my tea, but she ran away before she could hear me. I ate my dessert without tea. Then the waitress came back and asked me if I wanted coffee or tea. I told her that I had ordered tea from someone else before she had given me my dessert, but I had never gotten it. She found the other person who told me that she had COMPLETELY forgotten that I had ordered tea. I asked her if she had forgotten about just me, or had she forgotten about everyone else. She assured me that I was the only person that she had forgotten about.

The maitre d' came over, and I told him how dissatisfied I was with the service. He said that he was sorry, but a lot of good that did. He wasn't the one who mistreated me because I was by myself.

Another thing - I noticed that when twosomes or bigger sat down, the waiter/waitress told them about the different kinds of bread in the basket. When I sat down by myself, they just slapped the bread basket down and walked away. I asked a guy who was travelling solo if he had noticed the same thing, and he said yes.

That's pretty much what I experience on NCL. They are not, in my opinion, very solo friendly. Once when I asked some people if I could join their table, they actually had the cajones to say no. I was embarrassed beyond belief. That was when I decided never to cruise NCL again. That, and the poor service and what was, again in my opinion and after cruising many other lines, that the food was really subpar.

<<They are not, in my opinion, very solo friendly.>>

No, they are NOT. When my friend and I were on the Spirit in May of 2008, we went to the singles dinner. Only one other person showed up. (That was NOT NCL's fault.) I urged my friend to go to the grandparents tea party. (I'm not a grandparent, so I didn't go.) She was the only one who showed up, with the exception of a man who was dropped off (late) by his daughter, complained that he didn't want to be there, and took off before the table could be set up with coffee, tea, and desserts. So my friend had coffee and dessert with a hostess.

NCL nowadays seems to attract people who just want to do their own thing and not meet or talk to anyone they don't know.

When we were on the Spirit in September of 2008, we signed up for the singles dinner, but then found out that it would be at 8:45 PM on the night when there was only one show at 9:00 PM (most of the time, there were shows at 7:30 PM and 9:30 PM0, and it was a show that we really wanted to see. (We weren't allowed to find out when the dinner would be until after we signed up.) I told my friend that if we missed the show for nothing (meaning that no one else showed up for the singles dinner), I would hit the ceiling, so we skipped the dinner. Afterwards, I asked several hostesses why the dinner was scheduled so as to conflict with the show, and no one had any idea.

And another thing - we were supposed to meet at a bar at 8:45 PM, and that would involve waiting 15 or so minutes for everyone to show up, ordering drinks, drinking our drinks, and then going to the dining room, meaning that we wouldn't get into the dining room before 9:30 PM. This was before the only morning that everyone who had booked a shore excursion had to meet at 8:00 AM in the theatre to be put on tenders. I have no idea why they scheduled the dinner to be so late.

<<Once when I asked some people if I could join their table, they actually had the cajones to say no. I was embarrassed beyond belief. >>

I'm sorry this happened to you.

<<That was when I decided never to cruise NCL again. That, and the poor service and what was, again in my opinion and after cruising many other lines, that the food was really subpar. >>

I really can't complain about the service I got when I was with my friend. But I acknowledge that passengers should be treated properly when they are solo. As for the food, my friend and I enjoyed it very much. In September of 2008, NCL offers for dinner every night, IN ADDITION to the six or so entrees that change every night, sirloin steak, salmon, chicken breast, and cheese tortellini. Plus they always have Caesar salad and shrimp cocktail. I call it "something for everyone."

This is so sad. I'm so sorry there are such bad experiences for solo cruisers on NCL (at least when it comes to dining). I guess I am lucky that I will have a friend with me - at least most of the time. Maybe I'll just eat in the buffet or somewhere else if we aren't going to eat together on a particular night.

Thank you all for your comments and insights.

Vacation Luvver - I agree with your descriptions of service problems for singles aboard NCL. But frankly, this is no different than the way I'm treated as a solo diner on dry land. So I feel right at home. :-)

I always try to pick the seat at the table where I can most easily catch the waitstaff's eye (even if that seat sacrifices the view out the window, etc.). But sometimes you do get stuck at a table where you are just out of the loop, and I agree that can be a drag.

An alternative is to stay home and have a microwave entree... :-)

I'm so sorry to hear about all the bad experiences you have had with NCL Dinning, it's awful.

Vacation Luvver - I agree with your descriptions of service problems for singles aboard NCL. But frankly, this is no different than the way I'm treated as a solo diner on dry land. So I feel right at home. :-)

For me, it has been the complete opposite, I have been badly treated a few times as a solo in land restaurants but always very well treated when I was solo on a ship (sometimes even better than if I had had companions with waiters who would take a minute or two to chat with me and give me some hint/tips about the next port of call, etc.).

Archived