TOURISM ALERT: Mexican Riviera, anyone worried yet?

klfhngr

TOURISM ALERT

The State Department issued a new travel warning for Mexico on Friday, urging Americans to use caution not just in border areas but also in tourist resorts because of increasing violence.

The department's statement said millions of Americans visit Mexico safely each year, but that robberies, homicides, petty thefts and carjackings are rising.

Dozens of U.S. citizens have been kidnapped in recent years, the statement said, and many of the cases remain "unresolved."

Some Americans have been trapped temporarily in border cities during battles between the Mexican military and well-armed drug gangs that "have resembled small-unit combat," the department said.

The report identified crime hot spots including Ciudad Jurez; Tijuana, across the border from San Diego; Matamoros, across from Brownsville, Texas; and Nogales, across the border from Nogales, Ariz.

I read the US web-site and the warnings seem to be mainly for the border towns. I would think that the cruise lines would not let passengers off in unsafe areas where they dock. We should not venture off on our own. Go on organized tours and be aware of your surroundings at all times.

TOURISM ALERT

The State Department issued a new travel warning for Mexico on Friday, urging Americans to use caution not just in border areas but also in tourist resorts because of increasing violence.

The department's statement said millions of Americans visit Mexico safely each year, but that robberies, homicides, petty thefts and carjackings are rising.

Dozens of U.S. citizens have been kidnapped in recent years, the statement said, and many of the cases remain "unresolved."

Some Americans have been trapped temporarily in border cities during battles between the Mexican military and well-armed drug gangs that "have resembled small-unit combat," the department said.

The report identified crime hot spots including Ciudad Jurez; Tijuana, across the border from San Diego; Matamoros, across from Brownsville, Texas; and Nogales, across the border from Nogales, Ariz.

The towns that you are mentioning are just across the southern US border.

When I think of the Mexican Riviera.......it's Cabo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta.

If any cruising port would come close to those that you are reporting about............it would be Ensenada.

And in a seperate report that critterchick wrote about her last visit to Ensenada...........the town is missing the old activities that was created by RCCL's Monarch of the Seas visiting there twice per week. So, if any Mexican town could turn a bit more violent........it could be Ensenada, because of the lack of tourist trade. Hopefully, now that Carnival has two ships per week visiting Ensenada...........it will help the local economy there.:)

Rick

We were just in Cozumel and there was nothing but nice and friendly people there. We went to town and ate at Margaritaville. We went to Dophinarius where there trainers absolutely loved the dolphins. We actually walked around all over town and there it was great. Just always try to stay in groups and don't venture off anywhere alone. That goes for anyplace you go to that you are not famliar with including US cities.

I agree that the problem is occuring in the border towns, however, the latest warning says 'not just in border areas but also in tourist resorts...'.

I'm not to concerned, yet, however, as most mentioned, be safe, travel in groups and be aware of your surroundings.

One of my life time rules is NEVER worry. I will educate myself and use caution if necessary...but worry no, never did anyone any good at all.

I agree Rev, life is to short to worry about that stuff, especially when you're on a cruise! ;) I'd rather worry about when my next drink is coming! ;)

The towns that you are mentioning are just across the southern US border.

When I think of the Mexican Riviera.......it's Cabo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta.

If any cruising port would come close to those that you are reporting about............it would be Ensenada.

And in a seperate report that critterchick wrote about her last visit to Ensenada...........the town is missing the old activities that was created by RCCL's Monarch of the Seas visiting there twice per week. So, if any Mexican town could turn a bit more violent........it could be Ensenada, because of the lack of tourist trade. Hopefully, now that Carnival has two ships per week visiting Ensenada...........it will help the local economy there.:)

Rick

I think you are right, Rick. I am not the least bit uncomfortable in the traditional Riviera towns. I do not venture off the beaten path and stick with guided tours if I want to see something new! I love Mexico away from the border. They are some of my favorite ports.:)

BTW, how was your cruise? We are waiting for a full report over on the AZ Cruisers thread!:D

One of my life time rules is NEVER worry. I will educate myself and use caution if necessary...but worry no, never did anyone any good at all.

Well said. I went on a field trip with my DD's class once when she was in grade school. We were going into the "big city". We lived in a small community in central Illinois at the time. Her teacher told the class on the bus about dangers that are present in the city and what to watch for. She ended the talk with the phrase, "I do not want you to be afraid because there is so much to enjoy. Being afraid will take away the enjoyment. I just want you to be careful." Good advise for today, too.

Within the past couple of months I have visited Acapulco, Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, & Mazatlan and have noticed no changes in these cities. I am NOT worried and will continue to feel safe in these areas while paying attention to all of the usual cautions that are necessary when traveling anywhere in the world.

Happy and safe travels to all !! :)

I love Mexico and love to travel. Living in south Texas we use to go to

the border towns several times a year and a resort like tulum or

Cancun once a year or so. I stopped going to the border towns 2 years

ago. We went to Playa del Carmen this past October but we are not going

back this year. Never personally had any problems but our local paper

down here carries story after story of drug crime and bystanders hurt.

The police force seems to be completely overwhelmed or corrupt. I hope

things will improve and of course there are risks everywhere and it will

not stop us from our travels but for now, yes, we are avoiding Mexico.

There was an article in the Wall street journal this past weekend reporting on this very thread. Discussed how the Mexican army and police force are basically at war with the drug lords and how the Mexican goverment does face the possiblility of falling. They discussed how Monterrey used to be safe from this kind of violence but no more. This would be in the weekend journal dated February 21-22 titled "The Perilous Sate of Mexico"

We used to drive thru Mexico quite often to shop in Tijuana or rent condos in Rosarito and drive down to Ensenada to drink/shop. We've had the urge to go again, however, we've been cautioned to stay away for now. A couple of months ago, a few innocent bystanders were killed in Tijuana during a gun battle. I know that Cabo, Maz., and PV are quite different, but I have to admit, things are getting crazy! Sign of the times...... I feel bad for the citizens of Mexico, the majority of them are kind people, hard working and are peaceable. Being that I'm latin, I am not being biased... We've traveled to Mexico hundreds of times and know how kind the people are.... These criminals are harming these law-abiding citizens, the income that tourism brings, or lack of, will definately have a major impact on them.

Hi - I did not know about this. I visited Mexico last year and went to Playa, Tulum etc and always felt perfectly safe. That said, I spoke to a woman from Texas who said she found some parts of Mexico to be very unsafe.

I guess some parts are more dangerous than others and you need to use common sense. We found the roads more scary than anything else. People seemed to swerve from one lane to the next without looking and we saw a few crashes. We took public transport and noticed that one driver crossed himself at every single stop.

We also noticed that the police seemed to stop a lot of vehicles for no apparent reason, when we were getting our transfer from the airport. That and all the swerving and crashes put us off driving.

But I did feel quite safe in Mexico. We stopped over in New York on the way and I felt much safer in Mexico than I did there.

When I was a kid, our family used to drive across the border to Estero Beach and camp--it's still there, just south of Ensenada. I certainly wouldn't do that right now. But Ensenada is very close to Tijuana and the border. Cabo San Lucas is at the tip of Baja--days' drive from there.

There was an article in our local paper a few months ago about a surfer who used to go down to Baja regularly, but took his girlfriend, and they were attacked on the beach. She was raped, and he was beaten and robbed. He will never go back. Again, though, that was on the stretch south of Ensenada, a couple of hours below Estero Beach.

I haven't heard any of this happening at the Mexican Riviera stops, although crime happens everywhere, of course.

I had decided not to start a new thread about this very subject after reading my weekend paper but since the thread is here I will add this article. I actually copied this from Yahoo news.

I am definitely going to be while visiting Zihu on my cruise, but will do so with caution and will be watching for any more news reports for the same scary events. I understand Zihu is a small town, but surely will not go near the police station. :eek: But one might never see something like this coming, but there certainly is some danger to visiting the Mexican Riviera.

Below is the link to Yahoo.

Carole

Sat Feb 21, 2:57 pm ET

ACAPULCO, Mexico – Mexican police say assailants hurled two grenades at a police station in the southwestern beach town of Zihuatanejo, wounding one officer and four civilians.

The Guerrero state Public Safety Department says men in an SUV threw the explosive devices at the station Saturday. Three taxi drivers, a woman and a policeman were hurt.

Grenade attacks have become a fixture of Mexico's brutal drug violence.

Last week, five civilians and an officer were wounded in a grenade assault on a police patrol in western Michoacan state.

Mexican police say they are outgunned by drug gangs that attack them every day.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090221/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_mexico_violence_20

Archived