Tour Guides in Athens

The historical center in Athens is so small, with lovely pedestrian-only streets, that we chose to tour on our own last September using a guidebook, especially because none of the Greek taxi drivers often cited on these boards are licensed guides.

Hi CintiPam, Good advice..both about doing Athens on your own, and differentiating between a driver and guide.

We used Jordan (mentioned above) for a day of touring the Peloponnese area and I would recommend him for Athens as well, but only if you need a 'chauffeur' to get you from point A to point B. We needed transportation for our day in the Peloponnese area, but not in Athens, where we've enjoyed exploring on our own twice - on a port day and during a post cruise stay.

I am on the fence between a half day and full day tour in Athens. Anyone have any opinions on this? If I do the half day, what would I be missing? I hate to overschedule everything, having us exhausted at the end of the day.

Hi KYDeb,

Athens has so much of interest that 4 hours doesn't seem long enough to get much of a glimpse of it. If the 4 hours includes driving from Piraeus and back, then your time in the historical centre of Athens will be very short ... but if you let us know what the 4 hour tour includes, then it will help with letting you know what you might be missing.

We loved Athens and spent our port day exploring on our own (from 8 a.m. until 7:30 p.m.) ... completely exhausted, but what an amazing day. Our return trip 3 years later with 3 days post cruise was equally interesting and fun.:)

KYDeb, greetings from your OH neighbor!

Susan-M also provides good advice; Athens certainly is worth a full-day tour, unless you simply are not interested in this historical period of the Golden Age or your cruise schedule will have you "ruined-out" by that time, as certainly can happen. Hopefully you can fit in some slower days on some of the Greek island stops, such as Mykonos, which I assume your cruise visits.

KYDeb, greetings from your OH neighbor!

Susan-M also provides good advice; Athens certainly is worth a full-day tour, unless you simply are not interested in this historical period of the Golden Age or your cruise schedule will have you "ruined-out" by that time, as certainly can happen. Hopefully you can fit in some slower days on some of the Greek island stops, such as Mykonos, which I assume your cruise visits.

Hi, neighbor!! We'll be flying out of CVG for our trip!! We do have sea days before and after Athens, so I guess that will be time to rest up. And I suppose I may never get there again, so a full day tour seems the best. Sometimes you just need to talk things out. DH really isn't in the planning mode yet. That ususally happens on the plane as we're flying somewhere. He expects to be educated through osmosis!!!:D

I would tour on our own, but my BFF had knee replacement surgery early last fall and I don't want to overtax her with climbing up to the Acropolis, walking to the metro, etc, etc.

Hi, neighbor!! We'll be flying out of CVG for our trip!! We do have sea days before and after Athens, so I guess that will be time to rest up. And I suppose I may never get there again, so a full day tour seems the best. Sometimes you just need to talk things out. DH really isn't in the planning mode yet. That ususally happens on the plane as we're flying somewhere. He expects to be educated through osmosis!!!:D

I would tour on our own, but my BFF had knee replacement surgery early last fall and I don't want to overtax her with climbing up to the Acropolis, walking to the metro, etc, etc.

Hey Deb... we are doing a full day in Athens and the cost is quite reasonable. Comes out to 45 euros each for a full day. Not too bad really. My husband and I did a great deal of Athens on our own last time, and this time we decided with the whole family, to let someone else worry about getting us everywhere we wanted to be. We are seeing the Acropolis, Temple of Zeus, the Plaka for lunch and shopping (this is a great wandering spot) and also the Olympic stadium. I am not sure what else we will be doing, but we did opt for the full day tour as there is just so much to see. Let me know on our Roll Call if you would like the email address of our guide to see if he can direct you to another one??

Hey Deb... we are doing a full day in Athens and the cost is quite reasonable. Comes out to 45 euros each for a full day. Not too bad really. My husband and I did a great deal of Athens on our own last time, and this time we decided with the whole family, to let someone else worry about getting us everywhere we wanted to be. We are seeing the Acropolis, Temple of Zeus, the Plaka for lunch and shopping (this is a great wandering spot) and also the Olympic stadium. I am not sure what else we will be doing, but we did opt for the full day tour as there is just so much to see. Let me know on our Roll Call if you would like the email address of our guide to see if he can direct you to another one??

Do you mind me asking how many are in your group?

Thank you

Bobbie

Archived