Adventure Bound's "2nd Boat" ?

cruisin'mama

We are planning to go on Adventure Bound's Tracy Arm boat trip, but will be on the 9am trip, not the normal 8am one. I know this trip uses another boat and captain. Has anyone been on this and could you please tell me about this boat. Their website only talks about their main boat used at 8am.

Thanks....

We are also going to be on the 9:00 am tour. I did a search and they say the 8:00 boat is the Adventure Bound and is 56 ft long. The Captain Cook is the boat for 9:00 and is 65 ft long. The way is sounds they both hold from 30 to 45 people. We are really excited about this tour.:) I'm hoping we can get off the ship on time.:eek:

We were on the 9:00 a.m. Captain Cook in June 2008. I don't have much to compare the boat to, but we were very satisfied. I believe there were about 48 people on our boat. It was a comfortable boat with a great crew. It had a nice deck for viewing and it was never crowded. Of course, the dreary, drizzly day surely had something to do with that. They sold snacks and sandwiches. We stopped at the Paradise Cafe before heading to the Adventure Bound dock, as I needed a vegetarian lunch. My DH did buy a sandwich on board and said it was good. They made them up as you ordered. They were not the premade type that were getting soggy. ;) YOu will enjoy the trip!!!

I'm hoping we can get off the ship on time.:eek:

We were originally booked on the 8:00 a.m. tour, but our boat docked an hour and 15 minutes late. (8:15 a.m. instead of 7:00 a.m.) It was an issue all year on our itinerary. Fortunately they were running the 9:00 a.m. boat that day. We would have been so disappointed!!!

We were originally booked on the 8:00 a.m. tour, but our boat docked an hour and 15 minutes late. (8:15 a.m. instead of 7:00 a.m.) It was an issue all year on our itinerary. Fortunately they were running the 9:00 a.m. boat that day. We would have been so disappointed!!!

Was this the Carnival Spirit? I was wondering how much time we would need for debarkation and to get to where this tour meets? It docks at 7am.. should I book the 8am or 9am?

We were on the Captain Cook in July 2008. As said by a previous poster it's pretty much the same as the Adventure Bound. The captains talk to each other via radio so the second boat out has the advantage of knowing of upcoming conditions. The vendor does ask that you give advance notice if you plan to order sandwiches onboard so that they bring enough food, but they usually bring extra in case passengers are unaware of this. Some passengers on our trip brought coolers filled with food and drinks. I also suggest you bring something to wipe the sweat off the windows. They give you one paper towel per window, but they keep fogging up. Just stick a hand towel from your room into your backpack for the afternoon. Be sure to save film, disc room, battery life... until you get to the glacier and for the way back. The trip was so beautiful that we took loads of the photos on the way in. One of our cameras went dead early into the trip. Fortunately we had a backup. It's interesting how the perspective from the way out looks different from the way in! This is quite a trip!

I can 't speak for your cruiseline, but we were on Celebrity. Our ship was due in port at 8am. We were in dock and permitted on land promptly at 8am. MY husband and I headed right off the ship and bee-lined to the Adventure Bound dock in the hope of making the early boat. It took us about 15 minutes to walk there, but the boat had already left. The woman at the desk had said it was full anyways and is usually full before they commit to putting the 9am onto the water. Given your arrival time you should be able to make the 8am. I believe that the AB company will refund your money if you miss due to a late ship and can't manage the later trip.

Ten hours on a boat sounds like a looooong time. Does it feel that way or is there so much to see that time flies? I'm worried that my DD will get bored (you know how kids want action every minute). But she can bring a book and her Ipod (is there internet access out there--LOL?) Is the trip to the arm just open water or is it scenic too. I'm actually trying to decide between this trip and Misty Fijord...

Was this the Carnival Spirit? I was wondering how much time we would need for debarkation and to get to where this tour meets? It docks at 7am.. should I book the 8am or 9am?

We cruised on the Carnival Spirit and chose the 9 am departure with Adventure Bound just in case the ship docked late...It took us about 15-20 mins to walk from the ship to the Adventure Bound Office..

Ten hours on a boat sounds like a looooong time. Does it feel that way or is there so much to see that time flies? I'm worried that my DD will get bored (you know how kids want action every minute). But she can bring a book and her Ipod (is there internet access out there--LOL?) Is the trip to the arm just open water or is it scenic too. I'm actually trying to decide between this trip and Misty Fijord...

How old is your daughter??? In my opinion, this wouldn't be recommended for under 6?? And even then, may be too young? This area is more scenic than Misty Fiords, UNLESS you are looking at flying in there?? I do not agree that it is superior to Kenai fjords however, as noted above.

If you are taking activites, I suggest triple what you think you'll need with plenty of extra batteries and head phones.

I also suggest you bring something to wipe the sweat off the windows. They give you one paper towel per window, but they keep fogging up. Just stick a hand towel from your room into your backpack for the afternoon. Be sure to save film, disc room, battery life... until you get to the glacier and for the way back. The trip was so beautiful that we took loads of the photos on the way in. One of our cameras went dead early into the trip. Fortunately we had a backup. It's interesting how the perspective from the way out looks different from the way in! This is quite a trip!

Thank you so much for the tip about the hand towel. That is certainly something I would never know to bring if it wasn't for these boards. Aren't they the best? I am just glad it isn't another thing to pack in the suitcase.:)

Whether 10 hours is a long time depends on you. It takes about 2 1/2 hours to get to the fjord. However, it is scenic and you are on the watch for whales. I have to say, there were a few people on our trip that were bored. Not me!!! I loved every minute of it!!! I am the type of person who is bored at an amusement park, but never bored when I am with nature. It all depends on "what floats your boat."

Make sure she your daughter has plenty of snacks and activities in case she isn't that interested in what is outside. If you are blessed with good weather, she will probably really enjoy being out on deck looking to spot wildlife. The captain is very good and letting you know what is found and where to look. We did see whales on our trip to the fjord, which was an added bonus.

My best tip for this tour is to make sure that you arrive early for your departure so that you can be near the first in line to get onboard. This will allow you to pick a good table for your party. As you said it is a 10 hour trip, and you will enjoy having a good seat with a table, especially on the way back, when 1/2 of the passengers usually end up taking a nap. Good luck,

Louis

I may be mistaken, but I thought the Captain Cook only had one table, and the locals did take that table. It was available when my DH and I boarded, but there were just the two of us, so we left if for a larger group. It was used by some locals who brought a picnic lunch.

We were on the Volendam, which apparantly had a change in schedule for last year, but never made that clear to anyone. Watch your daily programs. Our in-cabin TV had the wrong information, but the correct information was on the daily program you receive the night before.

How long it will take you to get to the Adventure Bound dock, will depend where your ship docks. We were just a short walk to Adventure Bound. Maybe 10-15 minutes max. There is one dock in Juneau that is about a mile from the rest. I believe I read it has shuttle service to downtown.

At all of our other ports, we were able to walk right off the ship at the time we were given for docking. Departure was very quick, although the Volendam is a small ship, so I can't say what it would like on a larger ship.

If all goes well with your docking, you should make the 8:00 a.m. The Adventure Bound boats seem to leave about 15 minutes early, so if you will be there later than 7:30, I suggest you call them so they know you are coming. In our case, we were in Juneau by 7:00, but we had to wait for a dock to be vacated. Since we were so close, my cell phone worked out on the deck of the ship and I was able to connect to a local tower rather than the ship's expensive towers. Winona at AB just told us she would put us on the 9:00 a.m. boat. All worked well!!!

I suggest you put in all important phone numbers in your cell phone before you head to Alaska. It saves time later ;)

If you want to be able to sleep in a little longer and have a more leisurely breakfast, you can always book the 9:00 a.m. if it is being offered that day. Going on the earlier boat, will give you more time to spend in Juneau when you get back, if that is of interest to you. Decisions!! ;)

I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but the potentially bored daughter I refered to earlier is actually17! But she's one of those kids who, even as an infant, always needed to be entertained. I think if I make her the official photographer it'll keep her busy.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but the potentially bored daughter I refered to earlier is actually17! But she's one of those kids who, even as an infant, always needed to be entertained. I think if I make her the official photographer it'll keep her busy.

No need to be embarrassed. We are all different and our interests are all different. I would imagine though, that once you get to the fjord, your daughter will be pretty amazed at the floating blue glaciers. We saw some pretty impressive calving at the glacier, which should also impress just about anyone. So even if the whole trip doesn't interest her, I am pretty sure she will find some things pretty amazing. Just crunching your way through the floating ice is quite an experience. I think she will be fine for the most part. Making her the official photographer is a great idea. Don't forget to have something to keep that camera dry. I used this idea and it worked great:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Camera-Zip-lock/

Our boys were around this age when we sailed with Adventure Bound in 2005. Sailing out they weren't so bored, sailing back, they were quite bored. Even some adults slept on the way back. Our teenage nieces were with us, and they had the foresight to bring along small games/cards... certainly helped.

I won't deny that it is a long day... but it is worth every second of getting there and pack. Just go prepared. A book, iPod, handheld game, travel games (Scrabble makes a nice zipper one), and snacks will fill in the gaps.

A top excursion pick in the opinion of my family, including the (then) teens! :)

Only my opinion again- :) BUT involve your daughter in this decision. She is old enough to opt out if she chooses and I would allow her to do so. When my oldest was 16, he had had enough of traveling, (and continues as such today) that it wasn't enjoyable to him and not his preference. I did drag him all over until then, 4-6 trips/year, the benefits of an airline employee husband, which made the world small. But, after that point, I left him home where he was happy and what he preferred. My younger son, has the travel bug like I do, and now with him 21, I am so fortunate that he still will travel with me. :) 3 trips last year, with one being a month in Europe, this year repeating Europe for 5 weeks, plus 2 more. :)

Thanks for the advice. She has definitely been involved in much of the decision-making for this trip (in fact we gave her the option of this cruise or Ireland--because my DH and I couldn't decide). I've been gathering all the info I can on this excursion before I put it up for a vote. I think it will be a yes.

She has scrapbooking software for her laptop computer, so on the way back she could load all her marvelous new picture and start working on that. Come to think of it, that's a great idea. The computer fits easily in a back pack

Budget Queen, I'm available for adoption if you want a daughter! I'll even quit my job to make it easier to work around schedules.

No need to be embarrassed. We are all different and our interests are all different. I would imagine though, that once you get to the fjord, your daughter will be pretty amazed at the floating blue glaciers. We saw some pretty impressive calving at the glacier, which should also impress just about anyone. So even if the whole trip doesn't interest her, I am pretty sure she will find some things pretty amazing. Just crunching your way through the floating ice is quite an experience. I think she will be fine for the most part. Making her the official photographer is a great idea. Don't forget to have something to keep that camera dry. I used this idea and it worked great:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Camera-Zip-lock/

Thanks for the tip!!! I'm going to try this.

• 1 month later...
Whether 10 hours is a long time depends on you. It takes about 2 1/2 hours to get to the fjord. However, it is scenic and you are on the watch for whales." quote]

My DH and I are traveling on the Diamond Princess NB, 23 May B2B SB, 30 May 09, our first Alaska trip. We are considering going to Tracy Arm on the Adventure Bound. I am glad that I read this thread, as I thought it was a 5 hour trip. I am glad to discover it is 10 hours for planning purposes. When there is mention of ice, is the reason ships can't get up to the glaciers because of solid ice or too any ice chunks? Is the seating some kind of cushioning or hard surface? Haven't decided whether to do it going NB or coming back. All comments are appreciated! :)

Whether 10 hours is a long time depends on you. It takes about 2 1/2 hours to get to the fjord. However, it is scenic and you are on the watch for whales." quote]

My DH and I are traveling on the Diamond Princess NB, 23 May B2B SB, 30 May 09, our first Alaska trip. We are considering going to Tracy Arm on the Adventure Bound. I am glad that I read this thread, as I thought it was a 5 hour trip. I am glad to discover it is 10 hours for planning purposes. When there is mention of ice, is the reason ships can't get up to the glaciers because of solid ice or too any ice chunks? Is the seating some kind of cushioning or hard surface? Haven't decided whether to do it going NB or coming back. All comments are appreciated! :)

The reason ships can't get in is because of many floating ice chunks.

Seating was comfortable, but if the weather is good, you will want to be out on deck as much as possible.

You cannot do this trip on the southbound leg as you will not be in port long enough (port time on the SB is 6:30 a.m to 4:00 p.m. You will have to contact Adventure Bound to see if you have enough time on the northbound segment. Some days they only run a 8:00 a.m. tour. They require you to be at the dock at 7:30 a.m. and your itinerary shows your ship arriving at 8:00 a.m. The only way you have time to do their tour is if they are running a 9:00 a.m. tour on the day you are there.

vbmom87,

I didn't realize that the timeframe was that different for the SB trip. We were on the fence about Tracy Arm and thought we would see how the glacier viewing went going NB before committing. It appears the choice has narrowed. Thanks very much for your response!:)

Archived