TA Bookings

toledo_cruiser

I've tried to deal with two local TAs for an upcoming booking. In one case the agent claimed not to know about military rates until we told her, and neither knew about the Early Saver Rates. Both agents did try to book group rates, but those were higher than the ES. One agent told one of my friends that if she could find a cheaper rate directly from Carnival she should call Carnival and book it! I can only assume that they either: 1. Wouldn't discount their commissions. 2. Really didn't care for our business.

When all is said and done we expect to have about 20 people in the group. I was just surprised at the cavalier attitude of the agents. It's not that hard to book a cruise these days. :) Perhaps next year we'll try one of the online TAs. I get solicitations daily, just have never used one in the past. I like brick and motar because I can put a face with the voice. Plus it's nice being able to send someone directly to the agent if they have problems or questions.

Rant mode off....

I have used a small local TA for the past 5 years. I do alot of research before hand and know the prices - I tell her what I want and she gets the commission.

She's great - I just canceled one cruise and rebooked on another line for alot less money and she thought it was great that I was saving so much money because she knows that I will end up booking another trip with her.

I'd rather give a local company revenue and where IO get personalized service.

Brinda

I have used a small local TA for the past 5 years. I do alot of research before hand and know the prices - I tell her what I want and she gets the commission.

She's great - I just canceled one cruise and rebooked on another line for alot less money and she thought it was great that I was saving so much money because she knows that I will end up booking another trip with her.

I'd rather give a local company revenue and where IO get personalized service.

Brinda

If I was a TA and my clients did all the work and I got commissions I'd be great too.:p

It's all well and good booking with a local agency but if you know more about the process of booking a cruise it's time to go elsewhere.

Bill

I take that back, Military Rates are available through our agent booking system, they just aren't available on every sailing. I have never had a military guest book Carnival before, so I haven't really looked at them.

Also available to past military as well. One of my cruisemates just booked Military when the ES rate increased to an amount higher than Military rate. When I booked in January, the ES rate was lower. Carnival already has our DD214s on file from previous cruises.

As I said earlier, I prefer dealing locallly, but most people, including me, are looking for the lowest rate. I hope I didn't come off as a whiney know it all, cause that wasn't my intention. I have two friends going on the same cruise who paid substantially more than my friend who used the military rate. And they had the luxury of paying a booking fee. :D

Jim

interesting rant. our friends have a local TA they've used for years, so they wanted to use her again for this cruise. we booked side-by-side rooms. I honestly wasn't particularly impressed with her because we went in to book the cruise at least a week after ES rates were announced and she said she hadn't heard of them until the day before, when the CC rep came to visit their office and mentioned them. so all the paperwork she'd printed out had the wrong pricing.

perhaps I'm picky, but I felt like it's not too much to ask for a travel agent to be on top of the major sales by the top cruise lines. or to at least have seen the discounted prices when she went to book our cruises.

I do like the idea of giving someone business, but she really needs to earn her commission by doing at least a little bit of work. We, too, went in with cabin numbers in hand and all she had to do was enter the info and take our deposits.

I'm glad I know about this site, because I was here this weekend and saw that the balcony rooms we'd booked didn't have connecting balconies, as we thought they did. So our friends changed their cabin so that it'd be on the other side of ours, which does have connecting balconies. I felt like the travel agent, knowing we were traveling together, could at least have mentioned that not all balconies connect, in case that mattered to us. Our friends thought all balconies did, since every time they've had a cabin it did connect to the one their kids or friends were in. But it turns out that was just luck.

If you have 20 people in your group there's also a way to book Early Saver into a Group so you can get even better value.

I would be getting a bad first impression of the TA's you are talking too which to me would be a sign of problems down the road if I needed to make changes in my booking. Look around ... there's some good ones out there who will bend over backwards for your business.

......, because the commissions are significantly lower on Early Saver rates than they are on a Fun Saver or Past Guest rate.

False. The commission percentages on Fun Saver rates are the same as all other rates. Remember how "assume" is spelled.

I've tried to deal with two local TAs for an upcoming booking. In one case the agent claimed not to know about military rates until we told her, and neither knew about the Early Saver Rates. Both agents did try to book group rates, but those were higher than the ES. One agent told one of my friends that if she could find a cheaper rate directly from Carnival she should call Carnival and book it! I can only assume that they either: 1. Wouldn't discount their commissions. 2. Really didn't care for our business.

When all is said and done we expect to have about 20 people in the group. I was just surprised at the cavalier attitude of the agents. It's not that hard to book a cruise these days. :) Perhaps next year we'll try one of the online TAs. I get solicitations daily, just have never used one in the past. I like brick and motar because I can put a face with the voice. Plus it's nice being able to send someone directly to the agent if they have problems or questions.

Rant mode off....

What you asked for has nothing to do with discounting their commissions. They could have and should have been able to do what you asked without ANY problem. BUT they obviously DO NOT know their business.

I have used online TA's for years [10 or more years] Wish I could give you a name.

Go to the top of this page, right below the waving people is a link to cruise agencies. Look at their sites AND call them and talk it over.

Dan

False. The commission percentages on Fun Saver rates are the same as all other rates. Remember how "assume" is spelled.

I wasn't referring to the percentages, but rather the dollar amounts. Lower fares = lower earnings. Commission percentages are set based on the dollar value of your agency's annual bookings.

A cruise fare is $500. but the customer qualifies for a Military, Group, Past Guest, Resident, etc., etc., pick one, rate of $400. At a 10% commish the agent makes $40 on the qualified rate instead of $50. on the general public rate. But that is not discounting the rate any more than making $60. on a $600 fare is "padding" the commish.

Discounting the commission is giving part of the $40 OFF the total.

The OP wasn't asking for that, just the best "QUALIFIED" rate.

The TA's screwed up.

Dan

What you asked for has nothing to do with discounting their commissions. They could have and should have been able to do what you asked without ANY problem. BUT they obviously DO NOT know their business.

I have used online TA's for years [10 or more years] Wish I could give you a name.

Go to the top of this page, right below the waving people is a link to cruise agencies. Look at their sites AND call them and talk it over.

Dan

I read you, Dan. Sometimes a little learning is a dangerous thing. I expect, or at least hope, to continue learning as I read these boards. I don't get peeved that someone may have gotten a $30-$40 lower fare than I did, but I expect the people I deal with to at least try to keep me in the ball game, especially when I've done all the legwork to determine where I want to go and when. It wouldn't be hard to screw up the courage to book with an online agent for myself, but it's a little harder when you're advising a group of novice cruisers and they think you're the expert. :D

Thanks for your insight.

Jim

We've been using the same TA for years. She told me that the price is the same as you would get if you went on Carnival's site and booked yourself. I believe her because I experimented. I'd rather book through her because I have someone to go to instead of a faceless person on the other end of the line. Also, I'm not paying more than I have to and she can eat too!! Happy cruising !! Bill.

We've been using the same TA for years. She told me that the price is the same as you would get if you went on Carnival's site and booked yourself. I believe her because I experimented. I'd rather book through her because I have someone to go to instead of a faceless person on the other end of the line. Also, I'm not paying more than I have to and she can eat too!! Happy cruising !! Bill.

Thank You for supporting your local TA we do work hard and put in lots of hours for the little commision we make, but we do it because we love it and we are there for you if there are any problems.. Can you same the same for the online agents? We also can work with you to get the best price, and also get you some ammenities in your room so give your local agents a chance at least...We are all just trying to get by in this economy

Pat

Rant mode off....

Shame on those TA's Do you think they were new agents? In this day and age, we agents should and do bend over backwards to get you the best price we can, and if we dont know the answers we call the CL and ask!No way would i ever turn away a group of 20.

Great service = repeat business bottom line!

Pat

We always book our cruises as a group. I'm very hesitant to book directly through Carnival or with an online agency. I don't want to be responsible for any glitches with reservations or collecting monies. For those reasons we use a local TA. The more we cruise, the more we research, so we pretty much know what we want when we're ready to book. I do feel I know about as much about the booking process as the TA but I still want that contact person. I coordinate the booking but I don't want the buck to stop with me. I'm on vacation too and I don't want to be the group leader. We divide up the group savings amongst the cabins. Maybe if I took the free half cabin I'd be willing to do the whole thing. I coordinated flights last year, I found flights to PR reasonably priced but when one got cancelled I really felt the pressure. It all worked out but do I really want a whole group's expectations on my shoulders? That being said, I know I could do the booking process myself but I'm not yet ready to take that step.

I always tell people to use either a good travel agent or book directly with Carnival through a Carnival PVP.

When it comes to hotels or airfare, I say the same thing, use a good TA or book directly with the supplier.

I would never recommend an online travel site to anyone because their customer service is spotty at best and often times if you have a problem they will tell you it isn't their problem and that you are on your own and out of luck.

We always book our cruises as a group. I'm very hesitant to book directly through Carnival or with an online agency. I don't want to be responsible for any glitches with reservations or collecting monies. For those reasons we use a local TA. The more we cruise, the more we research, so we pretty much know what we want when we're ready to book. I do feel I know about as much about the booking process as the TA but I still want that contact person. I coordinate the booking but I don't want the buck to stop with me. I'm on vacation too and I don't want to be the group leader. We divide up the group savings amongst the cabins. Maybe if I took the free half cabin I'd be willing to do the whole thing. I coordinated flights last year, I found flights to PR reasonably priced but when one got cancelled I really felt the pressure. It all worked out but do I really want a whole group's expectations on my shoulders? That being said, I know I could do the booking process myself but I'm not yet ready to take that step.

Well said. I feel your pain, I feel THE pain. :) I still end up doing much of the work. Many group members just don't want that much involvement. "Just tell me what to pay, and to whom." Sometimes it's okay to be George. Someone has to do it. I do feel that responsibility to make their cruise as trouble free as possible. That's one of the reasons I live here daily.

Jim

I have learned so much here on these boards. At times I feel 'infomation overload'. Is that why they say 'ignorance is bliss'? Our group sums up your reference to the tell me what, where and how philosophy. Plus, they have never whined, complained or been negative about any aspects of our cruising travels. They just go with the flow and that makes it easier for me to continue gathering information for them. They are all wonderful friends.

I suspect I might have spent more time looking at cruises than the agent at a certain car club. :) I knew about the ES rates even before I went in for a face-to-face meeting with the agent. One advantage of being retired is that you have lots of time on your hands for internet research.

That I can truly believe. I just found it hard to believe that an agent would steer a customer directly to Carnival to book. I have no way of knowing how much commission (no, I'm not fishing) an agent makes on a booking, but apparently it wasn't enough for her to keep that booking inhouse. Good luck with your business, and thanks for responding. BTW, I enjoyed your photos.

Jim

If you really need a B&M TA then search around locally for a TA that specializes in cruises. The "car club" TA's are not looking to serve you but to just get your booking and get you out the door. I had a problem with a "car club" TA that cost me $500 in cancellation fees. No satisfaction from anyone (all the way up the corp ladder) at the "car club". No more "car club" TA's for me or my cruising friends. I have been quite happy using an online TA (associated with AMEX) that gives us much better rates than the B&M TA's or Carnival PVP's.

I always tell people to use either a good travel agent or book directly with Carnival through a Carnival PVP.

When it comes to hotels or airfare, I say the same thing, use a good TA or book directly with the supplier.

I would never recommend an online travel site to anyone because their customer service is spotty at best and often times if you have a problem they will tell you it isn't their problem and that you are on your own and out of luck.

I have booked over 50 cruises and over 1000 air flights and hotels using TA's I have never met. Only serious problem I have ever had was with local face to face TA's.

Dan

If you really need a B&M TA then search around locally for a TA that specializes in cruises. The "car club" TA's are not looking to serve you but to just get your booking and get you out the door. I had a problem with a "car club" TA that cost me $500 in cancellation fees. No satisfaction from anyone (all the way up the corp ladder) at the "car club". No more "car club" TA's for me or my cruising friends. I have been quite happy using an online TA (associated with AMEX) that gives us much better rates than the B&M TA's or Carnival PVP's.

I don't understand how any TA could give a better price than the ES rates direct with Carnival given their price gaurantee???

Peter

I don't understand how any TA could give a better price than the ES rates direct with Carnival given their price gaurantee???

Peter

The online TA's can only advertise Carnival's posted (advertised) rates. You have to call them to get their best rate. It is worth the time it takes to call. Just make sure you ask about any extra fees they may add.

Archived