Vancouver Port Questions

dedle

Is there a liquor shop inside the terminal? On our last cruise out of San Juan there was a liquor shop inside the terminal and they let you take your purchases on the ship with you...I know that RCCL normally does not allow this (maybe it is only Puerto Rico?).

Also, is there any type of store for water/cokes inside the terminal or would it be better to stop before we got there?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Dedle

RCL uses Ballentyne Pier and there is NOTHING there, as far as I know. It's like a big empty warehouse. Maybe they've added something. My last few cruises have ended in Vancouver, but didn't start there, so I'm not sure what the area is like where you go to check in.

Our Radiance Ultimate Alaska cruise in Sept.07 embarked at Ballantyne Cruise Ship Terminal in Vancouver and there wasn't a liquor store or any store to buy cruise supplies in the terminal. I would suggest stopping on route to the terminal since the terminal was isolated in a commercial shipping area on the water front. I believe this is the one most RC cruises depart from.

I can't recall ( it's been a few years since being there) if the other cruise ship terminal in Vancouver, Canada Place, has a duty free liquor store but it is located right in the downtown so you should be able to get cruise supplies nearby.

Is there a liquor shop inside the terminal? On our last cruise out of San Juan there was a liquor shop inside the terminal and they let you take your purchases on the ship with you...I know that RCCL normally does not allow this (maybe it is only Puerto Rico?).

Also, is there any type of store for water/cokes inside the terminal or would it be better to stop before we got there?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Dedle

How do you plan on getting it on the ship once you have purchased it?

You can bring on board all the soda and water you want during embarkation..............but there is a NO LIQUOR policy. You can take the chance of packing it in your checked luggage..............but you run the risk of getting caught by the liquor police. And taking it in your carry is a sure way of having it taken away.

It's been a long time since you've cruised with RCI hasn't it. In 2006 they instituted a No Carry-on liquor policy on all their ships. I sailed out of San Juan in 2008 and it was in effect. If detected, it will be confiscated from you and returned to you the last night of your voyage.

Ballentyne pier is in a not so nice part of town. The terminal itself is OK but there is nothing much there or within walking distance. Even if you could walk, not so sure you'd want to. Since 911, there isn't much access to the port area. The port is cut off by the quite busy railway tracks. Don't count on buying much of anything in the terminal.

Barb

I live in Vancouver and agree with the previous posters, there is NOTHING by Ballantyne Pier. Even if the ship docks at Canada Place I honestly can't think of anywhere close (walking distance) to purchase alcohol (unless there is something inside that I am not aware of).

Either way, from what I know you CANNOT take it onboard anyway. I have read on these boards about people smuggling alcohol. If you want to do that I am sure you can find the information; however, I would say find a bar onboard that you enjoy, get to know a bartender, and enjoy the cruising experience. If you want to have a drink in your cabin, a bar is only a couple decks away.:)

Archived