Drug wars in Mexico - Is it safe for cruisers

PittsburghGirlee

I was watching the news last night and it was showing lots of gun battles with drug dealers and so forth. My DH wants me to cancel our excurion to Nachi as he feels it is unsafe to get off of the ship.

We are leaving in May and I really do not know what to do except cancel and stay safely on board.

I always thought Carival would not even make a stop there if it were unsafe.

Please let me know any thoughts you may have.

I googled this and it does talk of these drug wars, but am not sure of the locations.

Thanks!!

Like most threats, this one is seriously overblown by the news media. You should always travel smart and keep your eyes open, but don't let it ruin your vacation.

The biggest problems are in the border towns anyway.

The closest the drug wars have come to Cozumel was Cancun where a retired Mexican Army General and two of his bodyguards were shot. They were targeted, not a random act.

The only drug related bloodshed I've heard about on Cozumel was the guy that got a nosebleed when he got the straw too far up his nose.

Cozumel is home to a Navy Base and an Air Force Base which means there is heavy military presence always, not just when something happens as in other cities of the country. Cozumel is a very closed community only booming in recent years so the locals are still very accustomed to paying attention to their little ¨barrios¨, or neighbourhoods... anything unusual gets reported to the local police and or military very rapidly. Finally, there are few escape routes from islands making them unattractive to organized crime activities and gangs. In short, it’s about the safest place in Mexico and much safer than many USA cities.

Don’t miss an opportunity to enjoy the beaches and water sports or shopping around town in this island community; it us extraordinarily tranquil.

I was watching the news last night and it was showing lots of gun battles with drug dealers and so forth. My DH wants me to cancel our excurion to Nachi as he feels it is unsafe to get off of the ship.

We are leaving in May and I really do not know what to do except cancel and stay safely on board.

I googled this and it does talk of these drug wars, but am not sure of the locations.

Thanks!!

Tell you husband to not worry and head off to Nachi. I was in Coz a week and a half ago and it was great...

I live in Texas and I can tell you that the problems are in the border towns, Nuevo Laredo, Juarez and such.

Thanks!!

All of the above posts are right.

We've been to Coz on two cruises and two land vacations and have another cruise planned for Jan 2010, and are trying to figure out another land vacation if airline prices would take a drop.

My wife and I have never felt threatened at all. Some of the most friendly people you'll meet.

Nachi is a private beach club and is very safe. Enjoy a relaxing day on a beautiful island. If you have time, visit the main square downtown to visit the shops and restaurants.

You may become a "cozaholic." :D

Thanks!!

Most of the violence that is happening right is happening near the U.S. border. Cozumel is on the other side of the country. Nothing to worry about. The best thing you could do is turn off the TV...

I live in Texas and my partner is in the Texas Guard. They were notified that as of February 22nd no full-time status member of the Texas military force is ALLOWED to go to Mexico, even for pleasure. They will have to obtain permission first. They then posted the new State Department Official Travel Alert in regards to Mexico. The full alert can be found at http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_3028.html . It states that this policy is in effect until 5 March 2009. It will be reassessed every ten day thereafter.

That being said, since Cozumel is an island off the eastern coast of Mexico I don't have a problem going there. Most of the problems are along the border and also along the western coast. We are probably going to cancel our excursion in Costa Maya however. Too many kidnappings are happening on the mainland.:(

The link I typed in for the State Department Travel Alert for Mexico is not what I typed in. There are no "..." between the p and the a. Hence, it probably won't work. You can probably google State Department Travel Alerts and find it. Oh, and partner is not full-time status so breaking no rules there.

Cozumel is a world away from the trouble that is happening in the border towns and on the west coast of mexico. It is a great place to relax at the beach or do any excursion. The frendliest people in the world live in Coz so i wouldnt worry at all. Go and have a great time and have one for me.

The link I typed in for the State Department Travel Alert for Mexico is not what I typed in. There are no "..." between the p and the a. Hence, it probably won't work. You can probably google State Department Travel Alerts and find it. Oh, and partner is not full-time status so breaking no rules there.
The Travel Alert link works just fine, CC shortens them, but they still work.

I just did a post on the Carnival board. I was researching this last night, and for all you positive posters - you may be giving bad advice.

Yes, I've been to Cozumel and had a great time. But last night I read about a cruiser who was walking back to his ship and was robbed at gunpoint in Cozumel, in daylight. Cozumel is not immune to the problems.

If you stay alert, aware, and stay with groups you should be fine. But, like another poster, we have changed our Costa Maya plans. It was a long cab ride to Maya Palms, and this is the type of situation they say to avoid with all the unsolved kidnappings of US tourists that have occurred.

Don't believe that it is only border towns. It's all over.

You can go and have a great time, just be smart and informed.

Do Yahoo or Google searches, you'll be surprised what you learn.

The point is to be aware. Having a heightened awareness is a good thing. I think the organized excursions will be fine. There are a lot of cruise stops that have the potential to be unsafe - Jamaica, PR, etc. - but it's old news, so nobody is talking about it.

Mexico is beautiful, and there is a lot of beautiful and historical things to see - just be safe and don't wander 'off the beaten path.'

I wasn't posting to scare anyone off - I just don't want people to go with blinders on, thinking that because the sun is shining everything is good.

The point is to be aware. Having a heightened awareness is a good thing. I think the organized excursions will be fine. There are a lot of cruise stops that have the potential to be unsafe - Jamaica, PR, etc. - but it's old news, so nobody is talking about it.

Mexico is beautiful, and there is a lot of beautiful and historical things to see - just be safe and don't wander 'off the beaten path.'

I wasn't posting to scare anyone off - I just don't want people to go with blinders on, thinking that because the sun is shining everything is good.

AMEN sister:D:D

I just did a post on the Carnival board. I was researching this last night, and for all you positive posters - you may be giving bad advice.

Yes, I've been to Cozumel and had a great time. But last night I read about a cruiser who was walking back to his ship and was robbed at gunpoint in Cozumel, in daylight. Cozumel is not immune to the problems.

If you stay alert, aware, and stay with groups you should be fine. But, like another poster, we have changed our Costa Maya plans. It was a long cab ride to Maya Palms, and this is the type of situation they say to avoid with all the unsolved kidnappings of US tourists that have occurred.

You can go and have a great time, just be smart and informed.

Do Yahoo or Google searches, you'll be surprised what you learn.

Were is this article that you speak of, and when did it happen? I know there are parts of jacksonville I will not get out of my vehicle, The media is saying parts of mexico that are not even close to cozumel. Yes as with any place you should be aware of what is around you, but I never once thought twice walking around town, getting in a cab or anything.

Most travelers prefer to ignore detailed info.......not sure why......when preparing to step foot into a FOREIGN country. Like the Ya-Hoo spirit takes over, and it's time to party !!

We don't think negative.......just learn from info that's available before making decisions on what to do and what cautions to take to feel at ease. Also, in deciding which ports to stay onboard to enjoy the ship instead.

Here's an example of what we check out before leaving, and recommend same to others that ask:

http://gocaribbean.about.com/od/healthandsafety/a/CaribMurder.htm

Hey PittsburghGirlie,

I heard that on WDVE this morning, we are going to be on the Glory in 2 weeks. I didn't want to hear that news, but we are going. Can't wait!

Thanks for the DVE post. Now I know I am not going nutz. I didn't hear it, but maybe their website has something.

Let me kow who your cruise was when you return. I have never been on the GLORY and am so excited.

Really sick of the weather in the BURG this time of year but....

GO STEELERS......

There's a big difference between a robbery at gunpoint and violence due to drug cartels. There are armed robberies in my city everyday and it isn't coming from drug wars. But, yes, you have to use caution and be careful wherever you go, whether it is Cancun, Cozumel or your local grocery.

I also agree with a previous poster that Coz is prolly one of the safest places around due to military prescense and because it is a small island.

Yes its everywhere. Fifty-two members of the Mexican Sinaloa Cartel were arrested this week along with 750 other drug traffickers connected to them along with confiscated drugs, cash and arms - ALL ACROSS THE UNITED STATES.

Two American guys are facing death penalty arguments in their murder trials in Florida for assassinating a family of four including two children about 4 & 6 years-old. Drug trafficking is the root cause according to the prosecution.

No matter where you are you have to pay attention and be careful but getting in the crossfire of drive-by shootings was a greater risk in the USA then it was in Mexico.

I live in Cozumel and hadn´t heard of a tourist being robbed at gun point. It could have happened but it would be a very rare thing indeed.

Most travelers prefer to ignore detailed info.......not sure why......when preparing to step foot into a FOREIGN country. Like the Ya-Hoo spirit takes over, and it's time to party !!

We don't think negative.......just learn from info that's available before making decisions on what to do and what cautions to take to feel at ease. Also, in deciding which ports to stay onboard to enjoy the ship instead.

Here's an example of what we check out before leaving, and recommend same to others that ask:

http://gocaribbean.about.com/od/healthandsafety/a/CaribMurder.htm

My opinion (and that's all it is) is that the numbers for Mexico in your link is inflated due to the drug wars along the border of the US, in Mexico City, etc.

Based on our first hand experience (most recently Jan 2009 in Cozumel and Majahual) and earlier visits to Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Cozumel, Puerto Morales, Tulum -- we have not experienced nor witnessed any threats. We have always felt safe in Mexico and practice the same common sense we do at home.

It is great to read up on where you are going to visit, but staying on board the ship and passing up all there is to offer on the island of Cozumel is short sighted. Again, my opinion based on my experience.

I live in Cozumel and hadn´t heard of a tourist being robbed at gun point. It could have happened but it would be a very rare thing indeed.

I agree I think it would have been posted here, if something like that did happen.

It is great to read up on where you are going to visit, but staying on board the ship and passing up all there is to offer on the island of Cozumel is short sighted. Again, my opinion based on my experience.

There are ports I would stay on the ship, Cozumel is not one of them. I asked my wife if she felt safe in Cozumel, and her reply was yes more so than the Bahamas.

Archived