Carnival and Goff's Caye

dmoseley

We were in Belize last January. We did a snorkel tour with a local company to Goff's Caye. It was amazing and we would love to do it again, but I am a little concerned. I have noticed that the ship we are on (Elation) is also offering this tour. I really don't want to try to snorkel around hundreds of people on this tiny island. Has anyone had any experience with this? Should I look for another caye or should it be okay.

We were in Belize last January. We did a snorkel tour with a local company to Goff's Caye. It was amazing and we would love to do it again, but I am a little concerned. I have noticed that the ship we are on (Elation) is also offering this tour. I really don't want to try to snorkel around hundreds of people on this tiny island. Has anyone had any experience with this? Should I look for another caye or should it be okay.
"Hundreds" ? :confused:

On the Paradise excursion, we had perhaps 30 people total on the isalnd.

Thanks for the imput. I had heard horror stories about the large number of people on the excursion. Anyone else with experience in this area? I just don't want to be in a situation where the area is so congested that you can't snorkel without being in someone's way. When we went there were about 20 people on our (private) tour.

Does anyone have experience with a non-snorkeler and/or child going on the Goff's Caye snorkel tour? They can swim but would want to enjoy the island while I snorkel.

Also, I am an advanced snorkeler and don't want to be treated like a child and forced to play follow the leader. Will I be happy or unhappy?

Does anyone have experience with a non-snorkeler and/or child going on the Goff's Caye snorkel tour? They can swim but would want to enjoy the island while I snorkel.

Also, I am an advanced snorkeler and don't want to be treated like a child and forced to play follow the leader. Will I be happy or unhappy?

Enjoy the island? :confused:

It's a lump of sand with a few palm trees, a local vendor or two, a "concession stand," and a portapotty at the end of a small dock.

You can "explore" the island in about ninety seconds.

As for snorkeling, there is no organized tour or trail/route to follow. Practice safe habits and they'll leave you alone.

Depending on your tour guide, you may end up playing follow the leader....ready on:

On our trip, through Carnival, you had the option of snorkeling further out from the "island", from the boat, or getting dropped off at the caye. Our friends, who weren't comfortable snorkeling from the boat, got dropped off and had fun snorkeling close to the caye....they said they saw many small, colorful fish. We chose to snorkle from the boat. We did have to play follow the leader and he wouldn't let us go near the reef because of the danger of damaging it. We weren't impressed although we made the best of it. There wasn't much color, or fish. The reefs are dying. After snorkeling, we did get about an hour on the caye. It is very small, but beautiful. You can walk out into the water and take a picture of almost the whole caye. It's in the middle of nowhere! They do sell sodas, hot dogs and chicken if you get hungry. We shared some food and then ordered room service when we got back to the ship, while we each took turns in the shower.

Archived