Trastevere Transportation

Hi Everyone,

We are considering renting an apartment in Trastevere a few blocks from the Ponte Sisto bridge. Via Scala & Via Cedro. I've been looking in my guide books trying to figure out which bus or tram runs near there. I only see Fast Tram 8 that runs several blocks down from there.

I tried the ATAC site where you can type in where you are starting from and where you wish to go............it told us to walk everywhere. LOL

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

thank you,

Jill

I would suggest that you (1) make note of the street address where you are staying and (2) go to maps.google.com. (3) Type in the address you are staying at (incl Rome, Italy) and do a search. (4) Use the 'Get Directions - from here' capability and type in where you want to go. Select the 'Walking' feature and it will tell you how to get there and how long it will take.

Keep in mind that a majority of the buses in Rome tend to hub-and-spoke out of Termini. That tid-bit can be a big help when looking at the bus routes from ATAC. They tend to assume that you have a good working knowledge of the city.

Rome is an immensly walkable city with a very poor transit system. If I remember my time in Rome well I lived on Aventine Hill (Just other side of Ponte Sisto a bit more south and the walk to the vatican took me 20 minutes. The walk to Pyramid Station/train station Roma Ostensie was 15 minutes and to Circo Massimo subway mayby 15 minutes also... So walk my friend and Its the best way to discover the city and in the evening 10 eur will get you home in a taxi!

Have fun!

We were in Rome in November and stayed near the Pantheon. It was about a 10 minute walk to Piazza Navonna/Campo de Fiori. From there it was another 10 minutes to the Jewish Ghetto which is on this side of the Tiber. A few minutes more and you are in Trastevere. Lots of fantastic restaurants. We walked it several times. We even walked from the Pantheon to Villa Borghese, about an hour but we took the #116 bus back. Get a good guide book/map and plan ahead.

Although we walked everywhere we did use public transportation. We found it cheap and easy. The #8 Tram runs often and is easy to use. The metro is also convenient. Really depends on your physical condition + the time of year and weather. Walking lets you see things that public trans will miss but the cobblestone streets can tire you out quickly....Marty

Buses in Rome: www.atac.rome.it

The ATAC site is really quite good, but is in Italian. (To see the English version, click on the British Flag located on the bottom right corner of the header in the red bar.) Under Fares and Tickets, you'll find information on the various types of tickets and the costs as well as where to buy them. The ATAC site also has really good transportation maps of Rome. You can type starting and ending points and it will show you the bus routes and/or metro to take. You can select the quickest route, the one with the fewest transfers or the one with the shortest distance to have to walk. You can also type in an address if you just want to know where something is located. The maps of Rome are quite good.

Rome Metro (subway): www.metroroma.it

This is the site specifically for the Rome subway. It shows maps and schedules. There is also a handy pdf file you can download and print that shows a map of the entire subway and light rail system in Rome.

Tourist Lines: www.trambus.com

This site is unfortunately only available in Italian. You can view maps of the routes of the tourist lines 110 and Archeobus by clicking on vedi il percorso.

Airports of Rome: www.adr.it

Transportation information for getting to and from Rome airports.

Archived