Cost To Purchase Liquor Onboard?

bradrude

Can anyone tell me what it would cost to purchase a bottle of alcohol onboard, as opposed to sneaking it on. I've seen several people say they've brought it on and got by, but what about being upfront and buying it from RCI. And can you get mixers onboard?

:confused:

They charge $9.50 per bottle to take it back to your cabin. There are no mixers for sale, other than cokes and fruit juices, by the glass of course.

Liquor is a very good deal though. For example, here are some prices from my recent cruise:

Absolut Vodka, 1Liter: $11.95 or 2 for $19.95

Bacardi or Bacardi Gold Rum, 1Liter: $9.95 or 2 for $16.95

Dewar's White Lable Scotch, 1Liter: $13.95

Bombay Sapphire Gin, 1Liter: $14.95

Tanqueray Gin, 1Liter: $13.95 or 2 for $24.95

On the last day, they allowed me to take my purchases back to the cabin, of course there was little damage I could do at that point (in terms of impacting my Seapass account I mean)

It seems to me that if you add the consumption fee, the prices are about the same as here. About $20 a bottle for Absolute. It is a great deal of you decide not to drink it.

Here's a funny story about that..

In St. Martin a few trips back, we got a great price on Liquor. It seemed all bottles were about $7.50. Real nice.

I bought a few, knowing full well that they would take them when we got back to the ship. I put the bag on the conveyor belt to be screened, and figured that the person at the end would take the bags. They didn't!! What a trip that was!!! :p :eek:

The big hassle is the addition of the $9 fee. However this does not apply the last day or two - they assume you are taking it off the ship, so party big-time on the last night! There have been a lot of comments both ways on this board about whether the fee is $9 per bottle, or per total purchase, and It appears most of the time it is per bottle, but it varies.

However, a few points: for good brands, the prices are cheaper on many items even with the $9 added, how good a deal depends on what state where you usually buy. Also, as others have pointed out, on the ship you are getting a liter, not 750 ml. Also, for some items (Tangueray gin is one) you are getting a higher proof "export strength", not the 80 proof like at home, so that makes it even a better deal.

for us Canadians the prices are very good, even with the $9.50 extra charge.

We bought ours on board the 1st night. Because we bought 4 bottles they gave us 1 free bottle........ either vodka, rum or gin.

We also bought our duty free to bring home, and it was a good thing, cause when we got to the airport in Honolulu nothing was open. It was a holiday for them.

We just bought our mix the days we were in port.

Also a good tip.

another couple bought a cheap styrofoam cooler the first day and then on the days they were in port, they'd just stop at the local Walmart or Kmart and fill it with ice and beer, coolers and head off to the beach.

Never had any trouble bringing it back on board.

Even with buying the bottles on board, after a 11 day cruise our bill was still $800

But what a great trip on the Radiance.

Guest cruzr44
Is that per bottle?

~Cassie

I purchased two bottles and was only charged $9.50 for both. I have read where some pay per bottle and some pay per purchase.

From what I understand from past posters, it is a $9.50 charge for two bottles on the first night of a seven-night cruise and $9.50 per bottle if purchased past the first night for on ship consumption. Exceptions have been noted, usually attributed to the ignorance of the ship personnel (gosh). I have heard from a recent cruiser on the Rhapsody of the Seas that RCI's policy, no ifs, ands, or buts - a charge of 9.50 per bottle will be charged for in service consumption regardless if it is purchased on the first night or second night. I am confused. Is this enforced fleet wide or by ship or is it one of those ship laws? May I purchase two bottles with a charge of $9.50 per bottle for on ship consumption on the first night of the cruise? Inquiring minds would like to know. My other question about ship's laws was poofed (must have hit a nerve). If this question violates some kind of posting restriction I apologize beforehand for the originator of the thread.

all I know is that we were on the Radiance 11 day Hawaii cruise from Vancouver Sept 25th. We purchased our bottles on Sat that we sailed. we were charged $9.50 for each bottle. I just checked my receipts. I guess maybe that each ship is different. Whether it's per bottle or for more it still is cheaper then buying at home

Archived