I made a 10:05 flight in FLL, but wouldn't recommend it ;)

How is Port Everglades set up to retrieve your luggage after you disembark the ship - are there carousels or is all the luggage lined up warehouse style?

It is lined up, in sections, by departure number. It was extremely, neatly organized.

Hahaha ... I was browsing threads and was like ... wow, there's a blast from the past. :)

I'm definitely interested to hear about disembarking Oasis ... leaving the full ship, finding a cab, and then the airport. I guess FLL should be about the same as flights on departure day were fairly close to capacity anyway, but finding a cab could be more interesting.

When we disembarked the Oasis, we had no trouble getting a cab. We had a late flight, I think 1:30 PM that day. because of that, I volunteered us to the 'late' getting off the ship group. Anyway, of course there were delays, so our group which I think was supposed to be off by 9:30 didnt get off the ship until sometime like 10:15. Then, they had to stage you as you got off the ship because the fire marshal complained too many people in the luggage claim area. So we got off the ship, just to wait some more.

It was more frustrating than long as people didn't seem to really know what was going on. However, once we got down to get our luggage it was just a few minutes to get through customs and into a cab.

A quick drive to the airport where we experienced the same issues as poster. It was fairly quick to check luggage, but then we had to stand in those staggared lines at the security (again too many people causing a fire hazard). Again, it wasn't long of a wait, it was just chaotic. I would think that airport personnel would handle it better if they are dealing with it this often.

We got to our gate plenty early, but not as early as I thought we would. I never got to the state of worry, but I was slightly concerned that it was taking so long. Next time, I will not be volunteering for the late group. Staying on the ship the extra hour wasn't worth avoiding sitting in FLL.

It is lined up, in sections, by departure number. It was extremely, neatly organized.

It can still be a pain retrieving bags, though ... especially if yours is in the middle of the group and you have to pick your way through other luggage to retrieve it.

• 5 months later...

If you really want to try for an early flight on disembarkation day, have a list of nearby hotels/motels available as backup.

It is always a good idea to check the space availability of backup flights too, although that can change quickly.

When there are great differences in airline ticket prices, sometimes it can cost less to get a hotel room and fly out early the next morning than buying airline tickets for later the same day.

Chances of getting on the first flight of the day the following morning are usually pretty good.

As mentioned, the worst that would happen would be that somebody might miss a day or two of work.

For those who are retired, not even that -- it would just give you an extra day or two of vacation in Florida.

Can't understand getting emotional about trying for an early flight and making it a big dramatic issue though. Taking a chance on an early flight home after a cruise and missing it is hardly a matter of life or death, and looking at it in perspective, really a very minor problem, as problems go.

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to say thanks for this thread and the history of how it has evolved. We'll be on the Oasis in April and I had debated between an 11:30am and a 1:20pm flight back home. I should also add I'm a very nervous flyer, so if we get long lines, I start to freak. After reading this, I think we'll be going with the 1:20. DH doesn't like to rush, so leaving the Oasis a bit later and getting to FLL even a bit early for our afternoon flight will be fine.

Thanks!

Ty

Archived