How important is an early departure for Denali Shuttle?

jmarks

• 1 month later...

I hope this is not too confusing, I have a few questions:

1-Our group of 6 are booking the shuttle for the August 11/09.

I was thinking of booking us all to Wonder Lake, because I figured that, if we decide we want to go all the way there (if by any chance the mountain is out) our seats would already be reserved for us. Then if we decide to turn around at Eielson we can just hop on another bus, or do some hiking until our bus comes back. Is this right?

Or is it just best to book to Eielson and then upgrade to Wonder Lake at that point if we decide we want to? Is the price difference of 11$per person worth paying "in case" the mountain is out, seeing as we are a big group?

2-Is it true that some drivers will just turn around at Eielson instead of going to Wonder Lake if the mountain is not out?

3-for the Wonder Lake bus : is there a better choice 5:30am or 6:15am?

or

for the Eielson bus: 6:00am

thanks

I hope this is not too confusing, I have a few questions:

1-Our group of 6 are booking the shuttle for the August 11/09.

I was thinking of booking us all to Wonder Lake, because I figured that, if we decide we want to go all the way there (if by any chance the mountain is out) our seats would already be reserved for us. Then if we decide to turn around at Eielson we can just hop on another bus, or do some hiking until our bus comes back. Is this right?

Or is it just best to book to Eielson and then upgrade to Wonder Lake at that point if we decide we want to? Is the price difference of 11$per person worth paying "in case" the mountain is out, seeing as we are a big group?

2-Is it true that some drivers will just turn around at Eielson instead of going to Wonder Lake if the mountain is not out?

3-for the Wonder Lake bus : is there a better choice 5:30am or 6:15am?

or

for the Eielson bus: 6:00am

thanks

IF your only priority is McKinley, then book to Eielson. It is VERY rare for a view of McKinley, in the short timeframe. IF viewable, immediately head to the ranger for purchase of a Wonder Lake bus upgrade.

But going to Wonder Lake is nice it'self, great hiking, again depends on your interest.

You have some inaccurate information, NO, Wonder Lake buses do not decide to turn back at Eielson, they go as scheduled where they are supposed to, and as I already mention, McKinley is rarely viewable. Once you exit a bus, as you mention if booking Wonder Lake, and getting off in Eielson, you get on ANY bus. You would have a 3 hour wait, if you wanted to get back on the Wonder Lake bus you rode out on. ALSO, your "seats" are no longer "yours" once you do not continue. Wonder Lake is a big pick up point. If you do book a Wonder Lake bus, and exit at Eielson, you need to go to the ranger and put your name on the return list. I most always book the first bus out. Just my preference.

Thanks.

I thought it was odd that they would turn around, but knew someone on these boards could clear that up.

Our main interest is the wildlife, but if the mountain is out, then we would like to continue on to Wonder Lake.

If we decide to upgrade, can we do that once at Eielson, or in the morning before we board the shuttle?

IF your only priority is McKinley, then book to Eielson. It is VERY rare for a view of McKinley, in the short timeframe. IF viewable, immediately head to the ranger for purchase of a Wonder Lake bus upgrade.

Aramark has an expediter at Eielson to sell upgrades and get people on shuttles to where they want to go. They will be wearing an Aramark shirt. The rangers actually don't have anything to do with the buses in Denali.

Aramark has an expediter at Eielson to sell upgrades and get people on shuttles to where they want to go. They will be wearing an Aramark shirt. The rangers actually don't have anything to do with the buses in Denali.

Thank you for the clairfication, they were in similar uniforms that certainly looked like rangers. :)

We are staying at Riley Creek campground in Denali after our cruise. Do we have to book the TWT in advance ???? I don't want to miss the tour !!!! If so, will it be too late to book 6 seats now :confused:. We will be there in less than 3 weeks.

You can book online and I doubt they will be full. http://www.reservedenali.com/

You MUST book the TWT in advance, or at least the day before. You can book either shuttles or the TWT the night before at the Mercantile at the Riley Creek campground.

Your TWT will leave from the Wilderness Access Center, which is roughly across the road from the campground. There is plenty of parking at the WAC if you need to vacate your camping spot. Otherwise you can walk over or take the frontcountry shuttle bus.

Camping at Savage River is superior to Riley Creek if you can get a spot. The TWT will pick you up at the Savage River Campground bus stop or you can drive to the WAC. You can book a campsite on the same website above as the TWT/shuttle. If you are coming on a weekend or over Memorial Day, you should book a campsite in advance - they do sell out of camping spots.

You might also want to consider the shuttle to Eielson, which will be much cheaper than the TWT and you go further into the park. They also tend to be less crowded, although the shuttle doesn't guarantee any narration. The TWT is $105 and the shuttle $35. Also, the people on the shuttle are way cooler than the TWT pax.

We are staying at Riley Creek campground in Denali after our cruise. Do we have to book the TWT in advance ???? I don't want to miss the tour !!!! If so, will it be too late to book 6 seats now :confused:. We will be there in less than 3 weeks.

Yes, you need to book this in advance. Is there a reason, why you want to take this very costly option over the Eielson shuttle bus??? Triple the cost, for less distance.

You can book online and I doubt they will be full. http://www.reservedenali.com/

You MUST book the TWT in advance, or at least the day before. You can book either shuttles or the TWT the night before at the Mercantile at the Riley Creek campground.

Your TWT will leave from the Wilderness Access Center, which is roughly across the road from the campground. There is plenty of parking at the WAC if you need to vacate your camping spot. Otherwise you can walk over or take the frontcountry shuttle bus.

Camping at Savage River is superior to Riley Creek if you can get a spot. The TWT will pick you up at the Savage River Campground bus stop or you can drive to the WAC. You can book a campsite on the same website above as the TWT/shuttle. If you are coming on a weekend or over Memorial Day, you should book a campsite in advance - they do sell out of camping spots.

You might also want to consider the shuttle to Eielson, which will be much cheaper than the TWT and you go further into the park. They also tend to be less crowded, although the shuttle doesn't guarantee any narration. The TWT is $105 and the shuttle $35. Also, the people on the shuttle are way cooler than the TWT pax.

Thanks wolfie11 on the campground information. I will look into the Savage River campground. We will be in Denali the first week of June.

Yes, you need to book this in advance. Is there a reason, why you want to take this very costly option over the Eielson shuttle bus??? Triple the cost, for less distance.

Thank you both on the information regarding the Eilson shuttle. We will definitely look into doing it instead of the TWT. I didn't know about that option.

Archived