How important is an early departure for Denali Shuttle?

jmarks

Is this an easy and safe walk? Is there a shoulder to walk on? Is it all uphill? I want to take an early shuttle and if I can walk to the starting point without getting run over then I wouldn't be worried about whether or not to do it.

It's a wide paved pathway far off to the side of the highway and then through the forest, with some hill but nothing steep.

Thanks for the quick response Yukon.

Three months to go and I can't wait.

Is one box lunch really enough for an 8 hour shuttle? I was thinking of getting a breakfast box and a lunch one. Are there places to get bottled water or soda in glitter gulch or should I try to stock up before I leave Fairbanks?

We are in Denali only one day/night as part of our land package with the cruisetour we have booked. After reading some prior posts, we upgraded from the standard Denali tour to the Tundra Wilderness Tour and it is scheduled from 2 pm to 10 pm. After reading through the posts in this thread, I am concerned that we will not get to see much because of the time of day. Should we reconsider this option? We don't have much choice with the time because of the way the package is designed. Any suggestions or advise here would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks, Wolfie -- just the type of incredibly detailed information I love on this board!

So with four of us -- two of us picture-takers, me seriously -- would you advise sitting behind each other on the left side, or spreading out to capture seats on both sides?

Also, on the first Wonder Lake shuttle of the morning in mid-June, can I try to grab two seats for myself (my camera bag does take up a seat!:)) and have my wife sit in a different row, or should we be polite and just take two seats next to each other because the bus is likely to be close to full? How many seats to they typically leave unsold so they're free for picking up people later in the day on the return trip?

-- Eric

The early shuttles are almost always full, and they may leave a few seats open for picking up people from campgrounds, but they will tally that number in beforehand, so the bus will be full past Savage River or Tek campgrounds usually. There are always a few people standing by for the early shuttles as well. I would ask the dispatcher that is always there directing people onto buses if the bus is full.

If you can get the seat behind the driver, you should be ok to double up with your wife, as you can stand and take pictures through the door if wildlife shows up on the passenger side. Otherwise, you will get random people sitting with you if the bus is full. One of the reasons I take the Eielson shuttle and upgrade to Wonder Lake at Eielson is because of the wheel well, as between that and my huge camera bag, no one wants to share with me.

Is this an easy and safe walk? Is there a shoulder to walk on? Is it all uphill? I want to take an early shuttle and if I can walk to the starting point without getting run over then I wouldn't be worried about whether or not to do it.

Other than encountering the random moose or bear taking a stroll in the early morning, you should be perfectly safe.

Is one box lunch really enough for an 8 hour shuttle? I was thinking of getting a breakfast box and a lunch one. Are there places to get bottled water or soda in glitter gulch or should I try to stock up before I leave Fairbanks?

They sell sodas at the WAC where you will board the shuttle in the standard Coke/Pepsi varieties. I take lots of food with me, but more crackers and pb, yogurt, cookies, etc. with a sandwich. You can fill water bottles along the way, but can't buy anything to eat or drink once you leave the WAC.

We are in Denali only one day/night as part of our land package with the cruisetour we have booked. After reading some prior posts, we upgraded from the standard Denali tour to the Tundra Wilderness Tour and it is scheduled from 2 pm to 10 pm. After reading through the posts in this thread, I am concerned that we will not get to see much because of the time of day. Should we reconsider this option? We don't have much choice with the time because of the way the package is designed. Any suggestions or advise here would be appreciated. Thanks.

You will probably see most of your wildlife on the way back. There are many fewer afternoon tours than morning tours, so bus traffic is less, and the evening is when a lot of animals come out and are active.

The early shuttles are almost always full, and they may leave a few seats open for picking up people from campgrounds, but they will tally that number in beforehand, so the bus will be full past Savage River or Tek campgrounds usually. There are always a few people standing by for the early shuttles as well. I would ask the dispatcher that is always there directing people onto buses if the bus is full.

If you can get the seat behind the driver, you should be ok to double up with your wife, as you can stand and take pictures through the door if wildlife shows up on the passenger side. Otherwise, you will get random people sitting with you if the bus is full. One of the reasons I take the Eielson shuttle and upgrade to Wonder Lake at Eielson is because of the wheel well, as between that and my huge camera bag, no one wants to share with me.

I have the shuttle scheduled at 6:30am to Eielson, what is the cost to 'up grade' to Wonder Lake? TIA

Cathy

I have heard that people are usually good about letting others take photos if animals are sighted on the other side of the bus. Is this generally true? Especially if the animals seem to be in no hurry to get somewhere?

We will be a group of 6 adults (with at least 5 cameras), and rather than take 6 window seats, I think we'd try to make sure we had someone with a good camera (and lens) by a window on each side and then see how things go.

There could be a lot of folks reading these posts and hoping for seats up front and there will be many hoping for a window....

I have heard that people are usually good about letting others take photos if animals are sighted on the other side of the bus. Is this generally true? Especially if the animals seem to be in no hurry to get somewhere?

We will be a group of 6 adults (with at least 5 cameras), and rather than take 6 window seats, I think we'd try to make sure we had someone with a good camera (and lens) by a window on each side and then see how things go.

There could be a lot of folks reading these posts and hoping for seats up front and there will be many hoping for a window....

You won't be very popular if you "hog" the window seats with that big a group, plus you will get random people seated next to you. This is the shuttle, so it could be someone who has been out in the woods for several days, or eats garlic by the clove. Better someone you know.....

Everyone is very good about letting people get the shots. It becomes something of a ritual - the person by the window lets the window down (school bus style drop windows), they kneel on the seat to get their shots, then move out into the aisle to let the person next to them in to get the shot, then the person from across the aisle moves in, etc. When everyone is happy with photos, the driver starts the bus, everyone sits down, the window people close the windows to keep the dust/cold/rain, etc. out and its off down the road to the next sighting.

You won't be very popular if you "hog" the window seats with that big a group, plus you will get random people seated next to you.

I must have expressed myself poorly because I was trying to suggest that it would be inconsiderate for us to take up 6 window seats. Besides, my husband is one of the best spotters around and I would like to right next to him! :D No seriously, he spotted a leopard in South Africa high up on a rocky ledge and tends to do very well without binoculars while I am asking, "Where? Where is it?"

Good to know that there is a well-established protocol for helping everyone get photos and that there will probably be some experienced folks to model how it's done!

Great tip about Savage River and thank you for giving us the link to your photos on Facebook.

You won't be very popular if you "hog" the window seats with that big a group, plus you will get random people seated next to you. This is the shuttle, so it could be someone who has been out in the woods for several days, or eats garlic by the clove. Better someone you know.....

Everyone is very good about letting people get the shots. It becomes something of a ritual - the person by the window lets the window down (school bus style drop windows), they kneel on the seat to get their shots, then move out into the aisle to let the person next to them in to get the shot, then the person from across the aisle moves in, etc. When everyone is happy with photos, the driver starts the bus, everyone sits down, the window people close the windows to keep the dust/cold/rain, etc. out and its off down the road to the next sighting.

While that may be the usual case, I guess I was on an extremely rude and unusual Tundra Wilderness Tour. As most of the animal sightings early on were on the left hand side of the bus, and of course we were seated on the right hand side of the bus. The folks seated on the left stood up to take their photos, blocking the view for those of us on the right hand side. The did not move out of the way. Our friend got so tired of missing shots because someone would not move, he gave up on photo taking, and after the first rest stop, even asked the driver how to get back to the lodge, as he had had enough of the tour.

At the half way point, folks finally realized they weren't going to miss anything, and did start taking photos for other folks if they were seated by the window. But at no time did they move out of their seats into the aisles.

So be prepared for anything. They may be considerate and follow the ritual wolfie11 describes, or they may be rude and selfish, hogging the window and the view as I encountered.

While that may be the usual case, I guess I was on an extremely rude and unusual Tundra Wilderness Tour. As most of the animal sightings early on were on the left hand side of the bus, and of course we were seated on the right hand side of the bus. The folks seated on the left stood up to take their photos, blocking the view for those of us on the right hand side. The did not move out of the way. Our friend got so tired of missing shots because someone would not move, he gave up on photo taking, and after the first rest stop, even asked the driver how to get back to the lodge, as he had had enough of the tour.

At the half way point, folks finally realized they weren't going to miss anything, and did start taking photos for other folks if they were seated by the window. But at no time did they move out of their seats into the aisles.

So be prepared for anything. They may be considerate and follow the ritual wolfie11 describes, or they may be rude and selfish, hogging the window and the view as I encountered.

This is a factor of the TOUR buses, they are frequently loaded completely full, have ALL "tourists" on board. It is completely DIFFERENT with the shuttle buses. People are getting on and off the buses, seats fill and open up. It is rare for buses to be full on the way out. You get a lot of locals and independent travelers, who are WAY more layed back and encouraging of others to get the best views. I've myself, shared my binoculars and given detailed descriptions for sighting areas to those who haven't located spotted wildlife. The photographers who board, are overall fantastic people, extensive knowledge about current sightings, freely giving tips etc etc.

Wolfie has extensive experience riding the shuttle buses, I would definately give him/her significant credbility. My experience is way less, but I too have always found the same thing.

I would say, this is your only option??

I do suggest you take extra food. The Access Center does have a very limited selection of food to consider, if you have no other option for pick up.

My "Denali Park, meal" is a small loaf of bread, peanut butter and jelly, a plastic knife,pile of napkins, and a bag of chips. :) Yummy, cheap, and easy to put together for me to avoid any "sog" factor- which I hate. Needs no refridgeration, freeing up my 6 pack cooler for all my drinks.

IF you have a car in Fairbanks, I would definately buy everything there, you have a FAR bigger selection at cheaper prices.

As BQ states above, the TWT is far different from the shuttle in this regard. However, I'm a bit surprised the driver didn't do more "directiing" of the passengers at stops. Although my TWT experience is much more limited than my shuttle experience, the one's I've been on have been good and the driver will remind passengers to move and let other people in for photos. The drivers get a significant portion of their income from tips and are usually very attentive to the needs of the passengers.

Which reminds me - please tip the shuttle driver!!! Almost no one does, even when they get a great tour!

[

Which reminds me - please tip the shuttle driver!!! Almost no one does, even when they get a great tour!

A great reminder. I ALWAYS tip, and also frequently find many people do not. This is the best wildlife bargain in all of Alaska, and those drivers get you there safely. :) Well deserving of a tip, in my opinion.

Wolfie-

Thank you so much for all of your great insight on this topic. I'm sure I'm speaking for everyone that your advice is truly invaluable for us newbies! We, too, are planning on taking the regular Denali shuttle. I've heard that a lot of people will get off the shuttle and hike for a while either on the road or in the bush, and then catch another park shuttle when they feel like it. I was wondering how easy this actually is, and if it's difficult to find a bus that's not already full when you want to get back on. Also, which areas in the park would you recommend for doing this?

Thanks again!

Wolfie-

Thank you so much for all of your great insight on this topic. I'm sure I'm speaking for everyone that your advice is truly invaluable for us newbies! We, too, are planning on taking the regular Denali shuttle. I've heard that a lot of people will get off the shuttle and hike for a while either on the road or in the bush, and then catch another park shuttle when they feel like it. I was wondering how easy this actually is, and if it's difficult to find a bus that's not already full when you want to get back on. Also, which areas in the park would you recommend for doing this?

Thanks again!

Yes, it is as easy as you describe. :) I like taking the bus out to the turn around point, then get off on the way back. All it is is picking an interesting spot. IF you get off your bus between Eielson and the entrance, you have a lot of buses going by, since you can get on either an Eielson or Wonder Lake bus, usually there aren't extensive waits for a bus with seats. As noted, I know the Wonder Lake and Eielson buses most always hold back a few seats with their bookings.

Budget Queen, whether we make it to the shuttle bus in time to get first row seats is an open question, but it sounds like even sitting near the front might be helpful with folks like you and Wolfie likely to be sharing your expertise.

Still trying to figure out what camera lens to buy with this trip in mind and looking forward to the possibilities of seeing wildlife as well as the gorgeous setting. Thanks again for all the help provided on this great site.

Wolfie-

Thanks again!

You can get off and hike just about anywhere, but there are no trails in the park, so a lot depends on your comfort level with finding your own way and possible wildlife encounters, and what kind of shape you're in. A long but really good hike is to get off before Polychrome and hike the river valley to catch the bus again at Toklat. You will likely see bears sharing the same valley with you though. If you just want to walk around without taking off across country, there are some really nice trails at Eielson with great views of the moutain when it's out. If you go on to Wonder Lake, there is also hiking there, but the bugs are pretty bad. The Savage River trail is short, but excellent and can be accessed any time with a car. Mt. Healy overlook and Horseshoe Lake trails at the park entrance ditto.

I ride the shuttles mainly for pictures, so I am unwilling to give up my good seat to get out and hike much along the route when good hiking is available at the entrance and at Eielson/Wonder Lake. A lot of people do get out though. There's usually not a big problem getting back on although during peak times, you may have to wait for a shuttle with empty seats.

We're taking the first shuttle of the morning, booked to Wonder Lake; if the weather is poor, we might get off at Eielson to shorten the day on the bus. (I know we could have booked to Eielson, then added on to go to Wonder Lake if the weather is good, but this way we have guaranteed seats all the way out if we want them, and the cost difference wasn't that much.)

My question (of this moment!) is what there is to do at the Eielson visitor center, and how long to allot to stopping there? And how long do the shuttles stop there before moving on? I was figuring we'd wait until the way back from Wonder Lake if we'll spend time there and give up our seats on the shuttle, but it just occurred to me I didn't know if the visiter center was worth a 10-minute look before reboarding the same shuttle, or if there are worthwhile things to do to stay there and take a later shuttle back.

Wolfie, you mentioned some nice hiking at Eielson; is there anywhere online that has a map and/or description of those trails? (I'd only be looking for short, relatively easy walks, no long backcountry hikes.) On the NPS web site, I found this information for the entrance area, but not for Eielson -- but maybe I'm just missing it?

Thanks again for all the great advice!

-- Eric

Archived