How important is an early departure for Denali Shuttle?

jmarks

We're taking the first shuttle of the morning, booked to Wonder Lake; if the weather is poor, we might get off at Eielson to shorten the day on the bus. (I know we could have booked to Eielson, then added on to go to Wonder Lake if the weather is good, but this way we have guaranteed seats all the way out if we want them, and the cost difference wasn't that much.)

My question (of this moment!) is what there is to do at the Eielson visitor center, and how long to allot to stopping there? And how long do the shuttles stop there before moving on? I was figuring we'd wait until the way back from Wonder Lake if we'll spend time there and give up our seats on the shuttle, but it just occurred to me I didn't know if the visiter center was worth a 10-minute look before reboarding the same shuttle, or if there are worthwhile things to do to stay there and take a later shuttle back.

Wolfie, you mentioned some nice hiking at Eielson; is there anywhere online that has a map and/or description of those trails? (I'd only be looking for short, relatively easy walks, no long backcountry hikes.) On the NPS web site, I found this information for the entrance area, but not for Eielson -- but maybe I'm just missing it?

Thanks again for all the great advice!

-- Eric

The stop at Eielson is about 45 minutes. They have a small museum, and ranger programs. As already mentioned, there are NO TRAILS, so no "map".

Wolfie, can you tell me more about hiking at Wonder Lake? I think I read somewhere that you need to hike 2.5 miles to get to the reflection Pond.

Thanks

You can hike around the lake area and there is also the McKinley River Bar trail, but if you want to go to Reflection Pond, tell the shuttle driver and he/she will let you off and at the road intersection, which will cut off a good bit of the walk. The drivers stay only about 20-30 minutes, so you may have to catch another shuttle back. If you walk back to the intersection, you can flag down a bus.

We're taking the first shuttle of the morning, booked to Wonder Lake; if the weather is poor, we might get off at Eielson to shorten the day on the bus. (I know we could have booked to Eielson, then added on to go to Wonder Lake if the weather is good, but this way we have guaranteed seats all the way out if we want them, and the cost difference wasn't that much.)

My question (of this moment!) is what there is to do at the Eielson visitor center, and how long to allot to stopping there? And how long do the shuttles stop there before moving on? I was figuring we'd wait until the way back from Wonder Lake if we'll spend time there and give up our seats on the shuttle, but it just occurred to me I didn't know if the visiter center was worth a 10-minute look before reboarding the same shuttle, or if there are worthwhile things to do to stay there and take a later shuttle back.

Wolfie, you mentioned some nice hiking at Eielson; is there anywhere online that has a map and/or description of those trails? (I'd only be looking for short, relatively easy walks, no long backcountry hikes.) On the NPS web site, I found this information for the entrance area, but not for Eielson -- but maybe I'm just missing it?

Thanks again for all the great advice!

-- Eric

The new visitor center is amazing - they really went all out. It's built of native rock into the side of the mountain and was built as green as possible, with hydroelectric power from a nearby stream, solar, etc. If you are interested in sustainable building, it's worth a good look around. Inside there are a number of interesting exhibits and rangers to talk to. Don't miss the huge quilt by Ree Nancarrow, a local quilter. Outside are plenty of benches to lounge on, and the arctic ground squirrels will come right up to you (DON'T feed them!). I've also seen fox, moose, and bear around the visitor's center. There is a gravel path that goes up the hill across the road that is a great walk up for good views and photos if the mountain is out. Otherwise the area is mostly open tundra and you can wander around or walk down towards the river and back. The buses stay here 20-45 minutes depending on how late they're running.

What do you tip and whom if you get on and off the shuttles?

I would recommend a couple of bucks per person if you go one way, and five if you go both ways as a minimum. I usually tip ten for a good driver, and have been known to go higher if they really accomodate me with my photography. After all, the "pros" pay a couple hundred dollars a day for photo permits, and I'm paying a fraction of that amount.

Random comments from our experience last summer:

- Go to the WAC the afternoon before your trip if possible. You will know where it is, where to line up for the buses (obvious anyway), and be able to purchase tickets or exchange your e-vouchers. We had almost no wait in the ticket line; the next morning was "rush hour" and the lines were fairly long.

- If you don't pack your own box lunch most of the hotels take orders the evening before and they are ready for pickup on your way out in the morning.

- We went as far as Eielson and several rangers and our driver said continuing to Wonder Lake wasn't worth it since we had seen the mountain earlier and it was back in the clouds by noon. The day we were there, we heard the mosquitos were bad at Wonder.

- The driver asked if anyone on board was a bird watcher or hunter (several were). He said they make the best wildlife spotters...he was right!

- Everyone on our bus was great about sharing window space even though it was full. The lone exception was a guy with a ton of camera gear who wouldn't share his window, then would cross the aisle and actually cram his lens in front of others taking pictures and push them out of the way! One in every crowd....

- The 8 hour trip was over quickly!

- Be sure batteries are fully charged and you have a lot of free memory with you (or that old-school "film" stuff).

I have just tried to book the Eielson shuttle but...the online site wouldn't do it and then I was told by princess that booking didn't open until May.

Reading some of the forums here it seems that some people already have bookings if so how did you do it??I would be grateful for any help.

thankyou,

Anthin.

I have just tried to book the Eielson shuttle but...the online site wouldn't do it and then I was told by princess that booking didn't open until May.

Reading some of the forums here it seems that some people already have bookings if so how did you do it??I would be grateful for any help.

thankyou,

Anthin.

It most certainly is available. :) http://www.reservedenali.com/

It most certainly is available. :) http://www.reservedenali.com/

hello Budget Queen,

I filled in the form put in my cc details and it wouldn't process my request.

message came up about an interior problem.

I have tried to access the site again and cannot get the page with the times of the shuttles on it goes straight to the cc details page.

What am I doing wrong!! have to say I am getting a bit cheesed off.

Anthin:confused:

hello Budget Queen,

I have tried to access the site again and cannot get the page with the times of the shuttles on it goes straight to the cc details page.

Try clearing your 'cache'. I booked yesterday using the link provided above with no problem.

hello Budget Queen,

The site is working for me, the calendar is a little confusing, but you are going to want to call, IF you have access to do it cheaply??? Since you don't want to pay the park admission fee twice. You are already paying it with Princess. I didn't look, but see if Aramark, has an email and see if you can book that way, if you do not have cheap call access. Be aware of the Alaska time, right now it's about 9am.

Try clearing your 'cache'. I booked yesterday using the link provided above with no problem.

I tried again and it got as far as the cc page then said...Resevation could not be booked due to an internal error.

Will try again tomorrow off out for a good strong drink!!!!!

Thankyou for your reply.

The road is paved and open to anyone to drive to Savage River, 14 miles into the park. There's a parking lot and a loop trail (about 1 1/2-2 miles). If the mountain is out, as it often is in the evening, there is a spectacular view from around Mile 8. We see LOTS of wildlife here later in the evening and if we go early in the morning. This includes bears, wolves, moose, Dall sheep, hawk owls, raptors, ptarmigan (including babies), caribou, fox, pika, and marmot. The attached pictures were all taken along this stretch of the road.

Sorry for jumping in--but is there a way to save or bookmark certain threads? This is great info and I just want to be able to find it again when I am making plans.....

Sorry for jumping in--but is there a way to save or bookmark certain threads? This is great info and I just want to be able to find it again when I am making plans.....

At the top of each page of the thread you will see 'thread tools', click on that and select 'subscribe to this thread'.

You can get off and hike just about anywhere, but there are no trails in the park, so a lot depends on your comfort level with finding your own way and possible wildlife encounters, and what kind of shape you're in. A long but really good hike is to get off before Polychrome and hike the river valley to catch the bus again at Toklat. You will likely see bears sharing the same valley with you though. If you just want to walk around without taking off across country, there are some really nice trails at Eielson with great views of the moutain when it's out. If you go on to Wonder Lake, there is also hiking there, but the bugs are pretty bad. The Savage River trail is short, but excellent and can be accessed any time with a car. Mt. Healy overlook and Horseshoe Lake trails at the park entrance ditto.

I ride the shuttles mainly for pictures, so I am unwilling to give up my good seat to get out and hike much along the route when good hiking is available at the entrance and at Eielson/Wonder Lake. A lot of people do get out though. There's usually not a big problem getting back on although during peak times, you may have to wait for a shuttle with empty seats.

As far as the Savage River Loop trail goes, it appears to be 4 miles long according to Backpacker magazine (http://bp2.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip.aspx?tripId=12334).

Are there any particular locations along the trail that you recommend for wildlife shots? Also, where is the river located in relation to the trail?

Assuming you're using Internet Explorer (most others are very similar) either:

- Point your cursor in the URL box at the top of the screen that contains the address of this page. The addy should turn from gray to black. Right click, the addy will be highlighted in blue, and a menu will pop up. Choose "copy". Then go to a document where you want to save the link, right click, and choose "paste" or CTRL+V

- Add it to your Favorites.

Hope that helps.

As far as the Savage River Loop trail goes, it appears to be 4 miles long according to Backpacker magazine (http://bp2.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip.aspx?tripId=12334).

Are there any particular locations along the trail that you recommend for wildlife shots? Also, where is the river located in relation to the trail?

There is a parking lot before the bridge. This is the best place to park. At the far end of the lot is an NPS outhouse, and the trail takes off from here. There are two trails, one of which goes up to the rock formation that looks like the head of a Native chief looking up at the sky called Savage Rock. The other is the loop trail. The river will be to your left going out. As you walk along the first part of the trail, listen for birds, as this is all low shrub with no trees and birds are often on the bushes close to the trail. Also lots of bunnies (snowshoe hares) and ptarmigan along here. The ptarmigan also hang around the parking lot, and there is a dust bath near the outhouse.

Just before the footbridge across the river, look into the rocks at the right of the trail for marmot and pika, which hang out here frequently. They blend in, so you might have to stand by the bridge for 10 minutes or so and just look before you can see them. After you cross the bridge, there is another rock shelf a few hundred yards down the return path where they can also be found. There are Dall sheep on the hills above the right side of the trail, which sometimes come right down to the river. If they are down low, you need to find a rock to sit on and they will come right up to and past you as they graze.

Last year there was a mama grizzly with two cubs that hung out on the hillsides to the right of the trail quite a bit. I have also seen fox and a black wolf along this trail. There are sometimes lots of caribou on the other side of the road bridge. You can walk under the road bridge and along the gravel bars as well as hike the trail.

The geology here is really cool, as the place where the road bridge is was the terminus of a pleistocene glacier. The land to the left is an open, rounded valley carved out by the ice. As you hike along the trail, you will get into the canyon carved out by the outflow stream from the glacier and it gets narrow and steep.

The official NPS length of the trail is 2 miles, which is to the bridge and back, but there is an "unofficial" trail that goes up the canyon for another mile or so, which is what Backpacker is probably counting. A lot of people go further, but you should make sure you have proper footwear and can find your way back. This is the area the two women got lost in for 3 days last summer.

Assuming you're using Internet Explorer (most others are very similar) either:

- Point your cursor in the URL box at the top of the screen that contains the address of this page. The addy should turn from gray to black. Right click, the addy will be highlighted in blue, and a menu will pop up. Choose "copy". Then go to a document where you want to save the link, right click, and choose "paste" or CTRL+V

- Add it to your Favorites.

Hope that helps.

I tried firefox and IE, I gave up and called them. Toll free, pleasant person. I was able to ask questions. The number is on the website under the bear.

Karen

I talked to a friend of mine today who drives the TWT. He says they get a lot of people on the morning TWT that are also on the afternoon train and they ALWAYS are back in time for the train. The big problem they have is with people who book the 1:45pm flightseeing and need to get back. If necessary, the drivers use the secret hand signal for "I have people going back, do you have room?" or just put them on a returning bus at Toklat or Polychrome.

I will add to the questions. We are going to be in Denali at the end of August which rumor has it is the start of rainy season. If it is raining, does that affect how or when to go through the park - we are only going to be able to go through the park on one day.

How do the shuttles work? Do you get a reservation for a specific time? What happens if you are late?

Thanks in advance for the help.

You reserve a particular time for a shuttle and get a ticket. If you miss the shuttle you can stand by for a later one.

Rain actually gives you a better chance to see animals, as they tend to sleep in the bushes on warm, sunny days. However, your chances of seeing the mountain are nil. Animals tend to be a bit more active in August as berries are ripe, so the bears are out, it's the start of the moose rut, the caribou are gathering to head to winter feeding grounds, and everything else in the park is bulking up for migration, hibernation, or to survive the winter. Another advantage is that this is the height of fall colors in the park and you have less of a chance for rain and more for snow, or at least clear nights below freezing. Dress warm.

I will add to the questions. We are going to be in Denali at the end of August which rumor has it is the start of rainy season. If it is raining, does that affect how or when to go through the park - we are only going to be able to go through the park on one day.

How do the shuttles work? Do you get a reservation for a specific time? What happens if you are late?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Denali Park is still peak in August, you need a reservation for shuttle buses, and yes you get a specific time. In my opinion, don't miss your assigned bus.

We're scheduled on an 8:00a.m. bus to Eielson. We won't have a car, will be coming via shuttle (I hope) from McKinley Chalet Lodge. We'd love to stop by the Subway and pick up sandwiches for the bus ride. Any idea how we could do this and what time we'd need to leave the hotel to

get food and make the bus by 7:30ish? Also, is there some kind of

foodmart or place to pick up snacks while we're in Denali?

Thanks,

PT

Archived