Feb...southern Carib...velvet?

ocean lover

Hi:) I am sailing next month and will be wearing a long black velvet skirt....I think you will be just fine:D ....remember you will be on a ship....so in my opinion the time of year doesn't matter too much...but if you are concerned, it is winter in plenty of places around the country in February.

Have a great cruise:)

Go ahead the ship is air conditioned and sometimes you get surprised by the weather anyway. Last Dec. a cold front came through while we were on our cruise. In Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Belize, it only hit like 65-70-too cold for me to go swiming.

The bad part was too the ship did not seem to be equiped with heat and it was like the air conditioner was stuck on-it felt like maybe 60 degrees all the time-I about froze to death. I had brought a velvet skirt and matching top which I had brought for dinner wear. It was one of the few things I had that gave me warmth since I had brought mostly shorts, capris and summery tops.

Due to the air conditioning on my last cruise, I wore my velvet dress several times (when I only planned to wear it once). Yes I was a bit overdressed for dinner some evenings, but at least I wasn't shivering. Wear it & enjoy.

Ocean Lover,

I'm afraid I'm in disagreement here. I would never wear velvet in the southern Caribbean. It's a tropical climate and velvet, in my opinion, is not suitable, no matter what the temperature of the ship's airconditioning.

Here in the northeast restaurants have plenty of heat, but that doesn't mean I'd wear a cotton tank top and sandals in the middle of February.

This time of year, better clothing stores have "cruise wear" departments and they're filled with cottons and silks, not velvets.

Jane

Ocean Lover,

I'm afraid I'm in disagreement here. I would never wear velvet in the southern Caribbean. It's a tropical climate and velvet, in my opinion, is not suitable, no matter what the temperature of the ship's airconditioning.

Here in the northeast restaurants have plenty of heat, but that doesn't mean I'd wear a cotton tank top and sandals in the middle of February.

This time of year, better clothing stores have "cruise wear" departments and they're filled with cottons and silks, not velvets.

Jane

Jane I am thinking you are the gal that does not do Carnival, RCCL, Princess etc. but on the much more expensive lines right? The code may be stricter there but I saw plenty of velvet in September on Carnival Fascination 4 years ago in the southern carb. The ports we did were St. Thomas, St. Marteen, Dominica, Martinque. and Barbadoes (not sure how that is spelled) . Now it was a little warm then but still plenty wore velvet on formal night. It did not matter the ship was air conditioned. Many will not just go out and buy a gown just for a cruise but would wear something already in their closet- especially on lines like Carnival this may be a once in a lifetime thing for these people as their income does not allow for them to do the cruise thing yearly and more often as many who post here -often the velvet gown they use for christmas parties or New Year's Eve. I did not blame them-heck at least they DRESSED for formal night-as we know many do not even bother and this comes from people who can well afford to as you can tell by their $300 pair of jeans they are wearing.

She will be fine in velvet. Many of the velvet gowns I see now are strapless or spaghetti strapped anyway so you will feel little warmth from those gowns. As I said Last Dec. I was not as far as the southern Carb. but my velvet top and skirt (more of a casual outfit-that I had packed just in case-not formal wear) came in very handy as I was freezing on that ship.

Momofmeg,

I have not been on Carnival or RCCL, though we did do a Princess cruise to the Baltics this past June.

However, you say the on upscale lines, "the code may be stricter", well, there's no "code", and our favorite cruiseline, Oceania, which is more upscale that many others has no formal nights at all........which I'm very happy about - I prefer not to have to pack evening wear for our vacation.

It's really just opinion, I don't think velvet is a a good choice for a tropical climate. However, you're right, if people don't have the extra money to buy summery evening wear, then wearing velvet is certainly better than going casual and ignoring suggested dress codes.

Jane

I think velvet is just fine. I never really understood the "You're in the Caribbean" argument. You're on a cruise ship with central air. Plus, I just don't believe there are "inappropriate" fabrics OR colors according to the location or season.

From what I've seen/heard... People buy pretty little dresses that "belong" in the caribbean, and then they hunt around for a wrap or shawl so they don't freeze their butts off :).

I would wear leather in the Caribbean before I would wear a shawl!!! LOL

If you like your dress, go ahead and wear it!!

Melissa :)

I think velvet is just fine. I never really understood the "You're in the Caribbean" argument. You're on a cruise ship with central air. Plus, I just don't believe there are "inappropriate" fabrics OR colors according to the location or season.

From what I've seen/heard... People buy pretty little dresses that "belong" in the caribbean, and then they hunt around for a wrap or shawl so they don't freeze their butts off :).

I would wear leather in the Caribbean before I would wear a shawl!!! LOL

If you like your dress, go ahead and wear it!!

Melissa :)

Melissa you are SO RIGHT in my case. I about froze my you know what off last DEC. because it was much cooler then the average temp. of 90 it was supposed to be.Thank goodness I had a winter jacket with me as we had flown from Atlanta to Tampa. I looked the fool for sure I know with my winter jacket and my capris and sandals but I was so cold I did not care. There were plenty other "fools" around me though-everyone who had their jackets did as I did.

I was VERY glad I had had the sense to bring the velvet skirt and top. It was a last minute thought-I figured since it folded up small it would not take a lot of room and I might decide to wear it-I am so glad I did.

• 2 weeks later...

I wore velvet in February on Celebrity Constellation last year- plenty of women did the same. My dress was a spaghetti strap gown and I had a velvet bolero jacket- based on the rest of the passengers I saw it fit right in (fashion faux pas or not)- enjoy your cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

I will be wearing a strapless black velvet gown that is also backless on our upcoming cruise in Feb. We are going to the Eastern Carribean. I think it is fine. I didn't already have this dress, I bought it for the cruise on sale. It is a very elegant dress that I got a great deal on.

Joan

ineedacruise,

So you're not talking about wearing velvet in the carribbean. You'll be wearing it in a winter climate.

My vote is no. Velvet is not a fabric for a tropical climate.

It's why the dept stores show "cruisewear" in Dec and Jan and it's silks and cottons. I know there are others here who disagree, but the orignal poster asked for opinions.

Jane

ineedacruise,

You'll be wearing it in a winter climate.

Jane

I am not too sure what the temp will be like the second night but I am thinking cooler. I would not wear it on the second formal because I will be in Aruba and I believe it will be very hot then. To the poster though I will say .... If that is all you have wear it, its no skin off my back.

Hi:) my pictures didn't come out very clear this time:( ...but I wore velvet twice.....on my most recent cruise...which was 2 weeks ago.

Sleeveless sparkly top......with a long black velvet skirt......and a tealish green long dress......(velvet) and I felt totally comfortable:D ....so If I am out of step....so be it.

Wasn't too hot, wasn't too cold...was just right;)

Hi:) my pictures didn't come out very clear this time:( ...but I wore velvet twice.....on my most recent cruise...which was 2 weeks ago.

Sleeveless sparkly top......with a long black velvet skirt......and a tealish green long dress......(velvet) and I felt totally comfortable:D ....so If I am out of step....so be it.

Wasn't too hot, wasn't too cold...was just right;)

Good for you Lois and most of us here know you have a good fashion sense. Did you have good weather? As I said on our cruise last DEC a cold front came through and instead of the normal 90 degree weather we had highs of around 65-70.

So many here get so bent out of shape about what people wear. What I hate is normally the people posting these questions are going on their first cruise and THAT is why they are asking. They read all this stuff and take it for the gospel truth and THEN they go on their first cruise and see people pretty much wear what they want whenever.

I remember being terrified of my clothing being "wrong" my first cruise. Fortunately I had a friend that had cruised before who let me know that I was not going to see people dressed like the "Love Boat". I am glad too that I had taken 5 cruises before I found cruisecritic. I might not have believed her if I read this board first.

I would like to see some people post here who live somewhere like Hawaii. To others reading this board-if you live in Hawaii is it a faux paux to wear velvet since you have a tropicial climate year round? Just curious as some feel so strongly about this.

In answer to the above question, I would be surprised if there were many people in Hawaii who own much velvet due to their all year round tropical climate. But I can see that lots of people who live in the cooler climates might have some gorgeous velvet evening outfits that would look great when cruising. I think that a long sleeved, up to the neck, Christmas type dress would look out of place. Nevertheless, I see nothing wrong with, for instance, a long velvet skirt, partnered with a pretty silk evening top.

ineedacruise,

If you woudn't wear your velvet on the 2nd formal night, then we're in agreement and your vote is "No" for velvet in the carribbean which is a tropical climate.

Jane

My vote is not NO. I would not wear velvet in Aruba but that is just me. I have no problem with someone else wearing it.

There are so many interpretations of formal on a cruise ship, I would not be too concerned. Most of what you will see is black, in every fabric, length and weight, pants, skirts, dresses, long gowns. I typically wear velvet only for the holidays, but I see no reason to avoid it in the Caribbean. You may be a little too warm if you go up on deck.

Jane, Oceania does sound very interesting. It sounds like the kind of cruise my DH and I would like, upscale, but without the formal nights. I'm going to check it out.

hi:) ..we had good weather and the ports were great too......Dominica was put on last minute.....what a beautiful Island........lots of green and mountains.

I understand everyone is different and we all wear different clothing....and we probably dress differently from one another at home as well........and I say it is probably a good thing....because if we all dressed the same life could get quite boring!

Archived