How do they know??

Bibi

When my son was younger, I would call ship services and ask how many children were in his age group. They will just give you the number within an age group - say 10 children age 13-17. They won't tell you if they are boys or girls - and I don't think they will tell you unless you're cruising with a child yourself. They may only tell you a total of children.

HAL's ships' services dept. will tell you the number of children booked on your cruise and the number in each age group. You do not have to be traveling with a child to obtain this information. They do not volunteer the number of either gender.

I've often wondered how in the heck some people can figure out the percentage of people dressed in formal clothing versus casual clothing.

I've seen it time and time again (85% dark suit, 5% tuxedo, 10% casual )

Do they stand there at the entrance to the dining room and count???

I don't think anyone knows for sure unless it is announced by the ships captain/cruise director, or an uneducated guess.

BTW, kids on cruise ships don't really bother me all that much as long as I don't have to babysit.

95% of all statistics are made up!!

......I just made that up. LOL

It's the same cruise as last year, but RCI moved ships and the sailing is a couple days later.

Hope your friend has joined our roll-call for the HOGS cruise. We have around 12 so far on the roll-call and at last count there are over 1144 signed up for the HOGS cruise from Port Canaveral---Come join your friend & us!;)

I forget which line it was, but one line use to (maybe still does) limit the number of children on a cruise. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

QM2 I know does limit the children. When she was leaving from my area, I was ready to book, and when I told them I had 2 children, they said they were up to there quota and could only let one more child in. Hmmmmm which one should I leave home?? Decisions, Decisions!! Needless to say, we skipped that cruise!

On some Princess cruises, there will be a breakdown of how many kids per age that's posted in the kids' area. At least it was for a couple of our cruises. On our holiday one, there was 250 passengers under 18 years.

The staff has this information handy so that enough counselors are hired for that sailing.

Since we cruise Holland America exclusively, I can respond only as applies to that line. Booked pax can call the ship's services dept. for info, e.g., "How many children will be on board our cruise?", and will be informed of the total and the number in each age group. Also, HAL has a person who is designated as ship's coordinator for each vessel; booked pax can contact that person with inquiries pertaining to that particular ship. Would imagine other lines have a similar method of providing info to their booked guests but, of course, can't say with any certainty.

That is so good to know! I'll try that for our Alaska cruise this summer-my 12 year old is praying for other kids his age because his brother will be in the teen club without him.

Archived