How do they know??

Bibi

I have seen posts on this board by people who claim to know the demographics of certain cruises. For instance, I read one today from someone who states that on her upcoming cruise, there will be 700 children on board.

I read another one that said that they knew that a motorcycle "convention" was being held on their upcoming cruise.

How do they know these things? If you know how and where to find these things out...it would be appreciated...just curious!

Clearly, "THEY" are psychic!

How else would they know the answers to all other life mysteries like:

• They say, "If you keep crossing your eyes like that, they'll stick that way."
  • They say, "The early bird, gets the worm."
  • They say, "Life isn't always fair."

Seriously, I've wondered the same question. How do these people know all this stuff? Are they merely speculating, or do they have INSIDE INFORMATION?

Since we cruise Holland America exclusively, I can respond only as applies to that line. Booked pax can call the ship's services dept. for info, e.g., "How many children will be on board our cruise?", and will be informed of the total and the number in each age group. Also, HAL has a person who is designated as ship's coordinator for each vessel; booked pax can contact that person with inquiries pertaining to that particular ship. Would imagine other lines have a similar method of providing info to their booked guests but, of course, can't say with any certainty.

Google your ship and date and it will tell you if there are any groups on the cruise but I have no idea how to find out how many children unless maybe a Gerber convention:confused:

There aren't many good ways of finding groups on a cruise - googling your ship name and date is kind of hit or miss. That won't normally pick up corporate groups (like sales incentives, for instance) or simply ones that don't advertise on the internet. It is really good for theme cruises, though.

It would be great if all of the CC boards had someone to keep track of all the group cruises like the HAL board does. Even that list misses some groups.

Perhaps these people work on ships - or know someone who does.

Every week I receive updated reports months before upcoming cruises on my ship:

Child counts

Other age group counts

Nationality counts

Groups

Service animals

Special requests

Birthdays

Weddings

Anniversaries

Food allergies

When my son was younger, I would call ship services and ask how many children were in his age group. They will just give you the number within an age group - say 10 children age 13-17. They won't tell you if they are boys or girls - and I don't think they will tell you unless you're cruising with a child yourself. They may only tell you a total of children.

I forget which line it was, but one line use to (maybe still does) limit the number of children on a cruise. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I know Disney Cruise Line limits the number of children to be sure the programming can accommodate all of them. It's a high number based on my three cruises with them (and experience working for DCL). Perhaps other lines do as well.

Someone posted a link where you could check for groups on your sailing. I didn't find it particularly helpful, so I deleted it.

"Hogs on the High Seas" sails RCI the last week of October each year. A friend of mine was mortified to find them on the ship her first cruise (large, boisterous group), but decided it was OK, did the same cruise last year and intends to this year.

I'd rather not sail with a large group as it seems that they take over everything. They are mentioned over and over again by the cruise director, as if the rest of us are invisible. So if there is a good resource to assist with choosing a sailing without large groups, I'd use it.

Regarding "demographics" of cruise lines, CLIA has comparisons of the various lines based on age, income, marital status, etc. I don't know if they are available to the general public.

If you are refering to my post that said 700 children???? I said that there were 700 on the same cruise at the same time last year. I just told the op to be prepared for many teen's and children. I did not state that there will be exactly 700 on this years cruise. I have done this cruise now for five years on Spring break and that is my experience...just wanted to clarify!! Have a wonderful day..LPT:D

I've often wondered how in the heck some people can figure out the percentage of people dressed in formal clothing versus casual clothing.

I've seen it time and time again (85% dark suit, 5% tuxedo, 10% casual )

Do they stand there at the entrance to the dining room and count???

I don't think anyone knows for sure unless it is announced by the ships captain/cruise director, or an uneducated guess.

BTW, kids on cruise ships don't really bother me all that much as long as I don't have to babysit.

I've often wondered how in the heck some people can figure out the percentage of people dressed in formal clothing versus casual clothing.

I've seen it time and time again (85% dark suit, 5% tuxedo, 10% casual )

Do they stand there at the entrance to the dining room and count???

I'm one of the people who have quoted such percentages, derived from perusing the photographs taken at table during formal nights. Whilst she who must be obeyed is deciding in which picture I look the most handsome (or at least the most acceptable), I've amused myself by doing a quick count. No, it's probably not mathematically rigorous, and yes, it's probably sad, but that's the methodology.

Since we cruise Holland America exclusively, I can respond only as applies to that line. Booked pax can call the ship's services dept. for info, e.g., "How many children will be on board our cruise?", and will be informed of the total and the number in each age group. Also, HAL has a person who is designated as ship's coordinator for each vessel; booked pax can contact that person with inquiries pertaining to that particular ship. Would imagine other lines have a similar method of providing info to their booked guests but, of course, can't say with any certainty.

You can do this on Princess.:)

On our Costa cruise, the captain told us on the announcements that there were 700 plus children on the ship and it was March Break. He explained to be patient on elevators and in the dinning room since there were many baby strollers and slow walking children. Personally, they were no problem to us. It was the college students that kept us all entertained all week. My sister had 4 children on her cruise to Alaska in 2006. Again, the staff told her the numbers.

"Hogs on the High Seas" sails RCI the last week of October each year. A friend of mine was mortified to find them on the ship her first cruise (large, boisterous group), but decided it was OK, did the same cruise last year and intends to this year.

This is not always the case ----this year HOGS cruise is Nov. 1-7th On RCCL FOS.

Clearly, "THEY" are psychic!

How else would they know the answers to all other life mysteries like:

• They say, "If you keep crossing your eyes like that, they'll stick that way."
  • They say, "The early bird, gets the worm."
  • They say, "Life isn't always fair."

Seriously, I've wondered the same question. How do these people know all this stuff? Are they merely speculating, or do they have INSIDE INFORMATION?

NO they are not psychic! A person can google a ship's name and date of sailing and come up with group tours. This can give a person an idea of groups that a person will be sailing with.

Hi

I have a personal travel journal website where on it

I put a list of resources, that will help you find out if a group is on board.

Which gives you an idea of your demographics

Princess Cruise Lines in the past has given the breakdown of how many kids are on your sailing

Follow the link below and then go into Karen's cruise corner and just scroll down.

http://ourpassportstamps.com/

Ok that's funny - my husband and I did NOT know this and were on the Mariner of the Seas 2 years ago for our honeymoon with the Hogs on the High Seas. It was VERY loud and boisterous for sure. But they were mostly harmless AND they had their own activities that made room for the rest of us at shows and such. It was interesting though.

This is not always the case ----this year HOGS cruise is Nov. 1-7th On RCCL FOS.

I should have put HOGS cruise Nov. 1st thru Nov. 8th---sorry!!

It is a great cruise for a very good cause. Fund raiser for dialysis patients.

Prior to my HAL cruise, I called and was given the # of children on board. Prior to my Carnival cruise I called the cruise line and was told how many kids were on board- with a breakdown by age group. I just tried calling NCL a few weeks ago and was told they can't release the information.....

Archived