Israel guides

Whale Shark

We did a land tour of Israel last year and the Israli guide could not enter Bethleham. I strongly advise you not to try to go in alone. Most of the tours will include the usual shopping part but are pretty safe. Be prepared to do a little walking when you get off the bus to go through the security gates.

We are a party of 4 Canadians just back from a cruise that had 2 days in Israel.

Our guide was excellent and we readily recommend him. His name is Eitan Katz. You can email him at eitankatz40@hotmail.com.

From what I could determine Tour guides in Israel are independent operators and are contracted by tour agencies to do tours but also work independently. They are not employees of the agency. Eitan was contracted for our tours by an agency that we were referred to. You could contact him directly.

The agency required 25% upfront deposit by credit card and full payment just prior to the tour. I do not know what Eitan's requirements are for payment as an independent guide.

I can say the vehicle we had was a late model, air conditioned van in immaculate condition. Eitan is well versed in Architecture , religion and history. His English is excellent. He has a thorough knowledge of the country,,,,,, its history, architecture , cultures and religions. He met us promptly at the gangplank at both ports and returned us there as arranged at days end. He describes his background as retired from Military Security and Israeli Police Services careers. He has been guiding for several years. He is an excellent driver! We felt very safe .

We did a land tour of Israel last year and the Israli guide could not enter Bethleham. I strongly advise you not to try to go in alone. Most of the tours will include the usual shopping part but are pretty safe. Be prepared to do a little walking when you get off the bus to go through the security gates.

There is no problem to go to Beth Lehem and until now it was even safe. Beth Lehem is "Area A" that mean area under full control of The Palestinian Authority and that means that Israeli usually cannot enter there. A lot of shore excursions, mainly from Ashdod include Beth Lehem. The Israeli guides are not allowed to enter so we use local Palestinian guides who are arranged by local suvenirs shop and this is why when tourist are taken to Beth Lehem they will always be taken also to local shops. Never the less Israeli Arabs driver can go into Beth Lehem and to avoid the need to change busses at the gate all excursions to Beth Lehem are with drivers can are Israeli Arab and there for there us no need to change the bus or to walk through the gate and the whole thing takes today less than 1min!!

Getting there alone is complicated but not due to security problems. If you are on a private guided tour most likely that your guide has a contact man in Beth Lehem and he can take you to the gate where someone from the other side will wait for you and take you to the city. This also doesn't take too much time!

We are a party of 4 Canadians just back from a cruise that had 2 days in Israel.

Our guide was excellent and we readily recommend him. His name is Eitan Katz. You can email him at eitankatz40@hotmail.com.

From what I could determine Tour guides in Israel are independent operators and are contracted by tour agencies to do tours but also work independently. They are not employees of the agency. Eitan was contracted for our tours by an agency that we were referred to. You could contact him directly.

The agency required 25% upfront deposit by credit card and full payment just prior to the tour. I do not know what Eitan's requirements are for payment as an independent guide.

I can say the vehicle we had was a late model, air conditioned van in immaculate condition. Eitan is well versed in Architecture , religion and history. His English is excellent. He has a thorough knowledge of the country,,,,,, its history, architecture , cultures and religions. He met us promptly at the gangplank at both ports and returned us there as arranged at days end. He describes his background as retired from Military Security and Israeli Police Services careers. He has been guiding for several years. He is an excellent driver! We felt very safe .

All Israeli tour guide are self imployed. You can book any Israeli tour guide directly or through an agency. Most Israeli tour guide have web sites where you can find them and contact them. Guiding with a private car needs a special driving license along with the tour guide license. Not all tour guide have a licence for private car guiding but they can guide on busses or vehical suplied by tour agencies. Some guides who have no car can arrange transportation using vans, minibuses or any other vehical driven by a proffesional driver. The car used by a licensed guide is called Eshkol and it is marked with the logo of the Israel Tourism Ministery.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been researching private tours for my husband and I for a one day tour. I've received some prices which I believe to be fair, however, I have also been told that it is customary to tip between 15% - 25% percent of the tour price. This comes to about $125.00 if we did the 25%. That kind of tip seems totally outrageous to me. Is that correct? This could be a deal breaker! We usually tip the tour guide $25 and the driver $10.

I have been researching private tours for my husband and I for a one day tour. I've received some prices which I believe to be fair, however, I have also been told that it is customary to tip between 15% - 25% percent of the tour price. This comes to about $125.00 if we did the 25%. That kind of tip seems totally outrageous to me. Is that correct? This could be a deal breaker! We usually tip the tour guide $25 and the driver $10.

May I ask my dear where did you get this information???

On a private tour for 2 people there is no driver. The guide should be a licensed guide with also the correct driving license that allow him to guide a private tours. In that case the guide must come with a car (Either his own or one of a tour operator) that has the car license of a public trasportation vehical with which you can charge money for the trasportation with.

The cost of a private tour with a private car start from 450$ and up according to length of the tour and the distance.

If you booked the tour directly from the guide then the whole payment goes to the guide.

If you booked the tour from a tour operator then the payment goes to the tour operator who hire a guide licensed for such tour and pays him a day guiding worth.

The customary tip in Israel for all services is 10%. For some srevices it can go high up to 12%. It is costom to devide the tip between the guide and the driver - usually 2/3 to the guide and 1/3 to the driver.

Personally when I am booked directly for a private tour I make my calculations and give my price, in that case I don't expect a tip, I get a fair payment for my work and it is OK with me. If the tourist want to tip, it is great but I can never complain since it is always extra to my fair payment.

If I am booked by a tour operator I get paid less but still it is a fair price (according to the contract with the union it is 200$ per day). Tip in that case is even more extra and happily accepted, but in all cases you must be good to be worthy of the tip!

On shore excursions in Israel you should know that no matter who you give the tip to, the guide or the driver, the tip will always be devided equally between the two....

Hope I help you sort the the problem.... or maybe I caused a problem...?

We booked a private overnight tour for 4 people in October 2009 through a tour operator. Our guide served as the driver and guide and was driving her own vehicle. We had not read anything about tips and were not made aware of the suggested tip by the tour operator.At the end of our 2 day tour we handed the guide her tip and she let us know in no uncertain terms that it was not what she expected. She informed us that she should be tipped between 15 to 25 % (we had tipped about 10%). The situation was uncomfortable and sort of spoiled the tour for us.

We booked a private overnight tour for 4 people in October 2009 through a tour operator. Our guide served as the driver and guide and was driving her own vehicle. We had not read anything about tips and were not made aware of the suggested tip by the tour operator.At the end of our 2 day tour we handed the guide her tip and she let us know in no uncertain terms that it was not what she expected. She informed us that she should be tipped between 15 to 25 % (we had tipped about 10%). The situation was uncomfortable and sort of spoiled the tour for us.

You must be a stupid guide to do so!

Sorry to hear this was your experience.

I hopes you've enjoyed the rest of your tour.

We used a guide named Moshe Nov (recommended by family that lives in Israel). He was fantastic, and really made the old city of Jerusalem come alive for us. He is very well versed in both the Christian and Jewish histories of israel, and offered a flexible and personalized tour. His email address is rnv@internet-zahav.net

We just returned from the Azamara Holy Land cruise which was incredible from start to finish. However, the highlight by far was our time in Jerusalem with our outstanding tour guide Joe Yudin. We did Jerusalem from Haifa as we wanted to see Masada from Ashdod. It was a long day but we got such an outstanding education from Joe on Jewish history, biblical interpretation and the history and politics of Israel that the drive seemed too short. We spent about six hours just walking through the old town of Jerusalem, including the amazing temple mount excavations which I highly recommend. Joe knows the city and the history so well that he makes this complex and fascinating city really come alive. We were able to pay with a credit card which was really helpful and he only requires a 10% deposit. I would highly recommend Joe for any kind of tour in Israel - we can't wait to go back! You can find him online at touringisrael.com.

We just returned from the Azamara Holy Land cruise which was incredible from start to finish. However, the highlight by far was our time in Jerusalem with our outstanding tour guide Joe Yudin. We did Jerusalem from Haifa as we wanted to see Masada from Ashdod. It was a long day but we got such an outstanding education from Joe on Jewish history, biblical interpretation and the history and politics of Israel that the drive seemed too short. We spent about six hours just walking through the old town of Jerusalem, including the amazing temple mount excavations which I highly recommend. Joe knows the city and the history so well that he makes this complex and fascinating city really come alive. We were able to pay with a credit card which was really helpful and he only requires a 10% deposit. I would highly recommend Joe for any kind of tour in Israel - we can't wait to go back! You can find him online at touringisrael.com.

6 hr in the old city that is way more than the usual for one day, great you've enjoyed it. Those 2 days were the rainiest day this winter this year it was almost impossible to make a tour!

Eitan Shomron <eshomron@netvision.net.il> We traveled on Vision of the Seas in November and highly recomend Eitan. He is knowledgeable, helpful and patient. He shares many of his life experiences in Israel as we vivisted different parts of the country. I found his name on this site and confrim what the original critic said about him being a wonderful person.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from a 33 days cruise on the Royal Princess. One of the highlights of the trip was our visit to Israel. We did an overnight stay in Jerusalem with another couple from the message board.

Our guide Moti Barness email k9@013.net.il arranged everything for us. We did Mount of Olives, the Dead Sea float and mud, Massada,and Ein Gedi on the first day. On the second day we went to Jerusalem and walked the old city and Via dolo rossa, western wall, tunnels and etc.

Moti has a Range Rover SUV and took us off track to see some places no one else sees. He paid for everything along the way including meals while charging us a flat rate. Everyone seems to know Moti and it was great to meet his friends and family

It was one of the best tours we have ever had.

Saundra

Couldn't agree more with what Kanuk2 posted above.

We were a group of 12 who spent two days with Eitan in October. We traveled in a modern, comfortable van with driver (probably about 16-18 passenger, so plenty of space). He picked us up early in Haifa and spent all day with us until about 8 pm. We overnighted in Jerusalem, and he was with us from early the next day until he dropped us off in Ashdod. He is very well known, tailors the activities to meet the group's interest, and puts so much of himself into the tour. He's amazingly practical and balanced.

Can't go wrong with Eitan.

Bruce

• 3 months later...
We used Kalman Goldner last Aug. and we pleased. kalman.goldner@gmail.com

Hi Steve,

I heard from another post that he is geared for Jewish sites and not very "enthusiastic" about Christian sites. They had a hard time getting him to adjust. Did you feel this way. We are down to booking with him or with Guided tours. Any help would be great. Thanks

I would like to add my support for Joe Yudin. We toured with him last August and had a fantastic time. He is full of energy and extremely educated. He is relaxed about the style of tour - Christian, Jewish or, as we wanted, just a general tour without any particular religious emphasis. We had 3 children/teens in our party and they all thoroughly the two days we spent with Joe and despite the August heat they never complained once. We did a tour of Acre and Caesarea from Haifa and Jerusalem from Ashdod. It was fantastic!

Archived