RSVP Alaska AUG 09

mikec5426

thanks Jamie,now why couldn't I be one of those creative gays who could whip up a costume out of things already in the suite....(perhaps a couple of towel animals held on with Purell) :>)

and Nick we upgraded to an aft suite on deck six as well....I am not sure how thin the walls are, I hope you bring your earplugs. (we both snore)

------------------------------------------

:D LOL - I have been told I snore like a grizzly bear myself so I guess I will fit in. We are in 6166 on the corner. I have seen pictures of this room on cruisestateroom.com and it looks pretty cool.

See you guys on board!

Nick (& Greg)

My partner and I are staying a couple of days after the cruise and we plan on going to a Mariner's game on Sunday afternoon after we get back. If there are any other baseball fans, it would be fun to go.

Bill and Bob

------------------------------------------

:D LOL - I have been told I snore like a grizzly bear myself so I guess I will fit in. We are in 6166 on the corner. I have seen pictures of this room on cruisestateroom.com and it looks pretty cool.

See you guys on board!

Nick (& Greg)

cruisestateroom.com as well to try and see our room. A great idea! Photos are not there for my room yet, but I will upload them after our trip if no one else has by then. You are in luck, we are several rooms over from you so you will get some rest after all :>)

speaking of entertainment. What type will they probably have for this trip?

Themes for events are often related to the area that the cruise takes place in. Standard events for RVSP cruises are a costume contest and party, a leather party and an underwear party as well as a T-dance or two. T-dances can have a theme such Trashy Tourist or 70's or have a color theme (lime green, blue etc) and it can be combined (retro blue disco). On our Alaska cruise there was a lumberjock party - it could have been an underwear/T-dance combination.

Hopefully Sister Helen Holy will be on board for some good old Church Bingo - bring your Sunday Best church hat for that.

The desired fast route on KLM to Seattle even more expensive than the whole cruise.:mad: And I have not desire in an over 20 hour trip on US Airways. So wait and see for now

For those of you who have been before. Where do the parties take place and T dances? (not in the open air I suppose). Or will it be pretty dead at night?

My TA told me sales have been very slow for this one so it won't be full at all.

Atlantis is now offering companion fares on the Baltic Eurodam in order to fill it up. And I really wonder what Atlantis will do with that expensive Solstice Med cruise to Egypt in September. (I can book for nearly half the fare on the Equinox a couple of days later for even a longer cruise.)

For those of you who have been before. Where do the parties take place and T dances? (not in the open air I suppose). Or will it be pretty dead at night?

On the Amsterdam the parties were in the theater (!) or the Crow's Nest. It was not like the Caribbean cruises but it was still fun - I wasn't quite as exhausted after the cruise!

Atlantis is now offering companion fares on the Baltic Eurodam in order to fill it up. And I really wonder what Atlantis will do with that expensive Solstice Med cruise to Egypt in September. (I can book for nearly half the fare on the Equinox a couple of days later for even a longer cruise.)

Perhaps Atlantis has too many cruises in the economic climate.

It seems like the RSVP Eurodam cruise is still selling well.

Hello everyone.

We are looking forward to this great cruise. This will be my 48th cruise and my partners 5th; but our first to Alaska. We have been following this thread and look forward to meeting all of you onboard.

We are coming in to Seattle a few days before and staying at the W. On Saturday we are getting married in Vancouver so this is our honeymoon cruise!

We have a single friend that wants to join the cruise but is unsure on how to find a person to share a cabin. I realize that RSVP does have a share program. Is there any site or option that you can tell me of how someone would look for a specific cabin-mate?

We have a single friend that wants to join the cruise but is unsure on how to find a person to share a cabin. I realize that RSVP does have a share program. Is there any site or option that you can tell me of how someone would look for a specific cabin-mate?

Try Meet Me On Board, where your friend could post for a cabin mate. I don't think I am allowed to post the web site here, but I think you can figure it out or do a search. That being said, RSVP does do a pretty good job of matching solo travelers on their share program. I believe they try to match similar age groups and smoking preferences.

I am looking forward to meeting you guys at our Cruise Critic meet on board.

Jamie

thanks for all the info..I will read the disabled boards as well.

The wine card sounds good...I read somewhere it is better to buy it after on the ship so the employees get the funds from the sale instead of the HA company?

There is an accessible helicopter ride that even has a lift..but I believe it stops on several glaciers, which would leave Steve left stuck in the helicopter while other passengers got out to explore the glacier (There is no room for a wheelchair) While I applaud any company that thinks to install a lift..I find it unacceptable in my mind that he would be left behind while others went exploring. What I might do is find a company that offers arial only tours as well (helicopter or float plane). Is nothing personal to the helicopter company, but I want this trip to accent things he can do rather than point out things he can't be a part of.

We look forward to meeting y'all on board...

oh, the tipping policy...I know they say it is billed daily, but is it a good idea to tip extra for dinner or drinks, room service, etc? It will be hard not to.......

Hey, I'm going on this cruise too. I'm a straight woman going with my gay "brother " in spirit, (and my dad as my attendant, lol. The best sport EVER!!) I use a wheelchair, and am actually taking the helicopter tour as the scenery is supposed to be just amazing, Hope we can connect. Can't seem to PM you.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear in the previous posting. I would like any of you out there who are interested in a Cruise Critic meet and greet on board the Westerdam to actually reply here and be counted. Once I have an approximate idea of how many of you would like to attend, I will contact RSVP and request one.

Jamie

If girls are allowed.:)

Hey, I'm going on this cruise too. I'm a straight woman going with my gay "brother " in spirit, (and my dad as my attendant, lol. The best sport EVER!!) I use a wheelchair, and am actually taking the helicopter tour as the scenery is supposed to be just amazing, Hope we can connect. Can't seem to PM you.

hey there...we will definitely have to connect..and yes at the CC meeting as well. Yours sounds like an interesting group! We are looking forward to all the new friends we can meet on this trip which I have a feeling will be so beautiful!

I hope you found a great accessible suite, and that your experience in working with the access and compliance people with HAL has been as good as ours!

I accepted your friend request, so now maybe you can reach me in private topic...(I am not too technically inclined, but hopefully it will work now :) If not let me know...

oh, I am Russ

hey there...we will definitely have to connect..and yes at the CC meeting as well. Yours sounds like an interesting group! We are looking forward to all the new friends we can meet on this trip which I have a feeling will be so beautiful!

I hope you found a great accessible suite, and that your experience in working with the access and compliance people with HAL has been as good as ours!

I accepted your friend request, so now maybe you can reach me in private topic...(I am not too technically inclined, but hopefully it will work now :) If not let me know...

oh, I am Russ

Grrrrrrrrr, it won't work. I both love and hate technology at times!! My dad has lived in SF for over 30 years, and is very accepting of everyone. He may not go to the t-dances though. I have two very young siblings, so it will be a good break for him.

I have dealt with just the guys at RSVP, who have been great. I have a speech impairnent so emailing them in the early days was great.

I'm in a lowly (accessible, lol) inside cabin. I would rather spend money on excursions, other fun extras rather than a cabin I just plan to sleep in.

my email is saschah at aol dot com, if you want to connect.

I have dealt with just the guys at RSVP, who have been great. I have a speech impairnent so emailing them in the early days was great.

I'm in a lowly (accessible, lol) inside cabin. I would rather spend money on excursions, other fun extras rather than a cabin I just plan to sleep in.

my email is saschah at aol dot com, if you want to connect.

the RSVP group are great to deal with as well. Your father sounds great to deal with such a crowd of gay people, as are you to travel with your gay friend!

I am glad you have an accessible room..we really needed a veranda.(Steve smokes, so it was either a veranda or having to explain to security about the suspicious splash at 3 AM) :)

my email is rbyrd2531 at aol dot com

Scottsdale Guys,

Welcome, welcome !

As I usually sail solo and book a whole cabin during the previous cruise for the discount, and later, needing to halve that expense, I have found someone to share through two methods.

Once with excellent luck through RSVP (even my travel agent says they are very good at it) and once from an ask just like yours here on CC.

Though CC's official rules do not allow "advertising" for shares. Once the hint was dropped, we went to Yahoo groups specific to the cruise and/or Facebook Groups and completed the connections. ;)

This last one ended up with a Fabulous new friend for life AND lots of laughs whenever we crossed paths comparing notes on our two very separate cruises operating out of one cabin. :eek:

My TA also frequently has singles needing to double up. (He is one of the biggest bookers of RSVP cruises) {I would give you that contact, but CC also does not allow discussions of TA information}

As someone mentioned earlier, I don't think there is a way to PM via CC :(

Re-read my 1st sentence and do the math. :cool:

For Alaska, I will be in a highly sought-after Stern VA veranda cabin.

Good luck for your friend. :rolleyes:

r.

RSVP has posted the start of the entertainment line up on the website for our cruise. Amy and Freddie, of course, are now listed. If you haven't heard them before, you are in for a treat. Some of the DJ's are posted too. This list will grow as the entertainment is confirmed. The headliner is not usually announced until closer to departure.

Glad that Amy & Freddy are back. Wouldn't be an RSVP cruise without them. Entertainment is always great. Now hopefully music will have improved over last cruise. The only time we get to dance anymore is on our cruises but last cruise, not so much. Too much techno garbage (just my opinion....guess I'm showing my age). Yes, I'll say it...me love the disco music!

Too much techno garbage (just my opinion....guess I'm showing my age). Yes, I'll say it...me love the disco music!

Amen to that! Nothing wrong with some techno for those that enjoy it, and it is the current music, but since the age group tends to be a little older on an RSVP Alaska itinerary, at least it was on the last one I was on, more of a mix of music would be nice. 70's, 80's, 90's is good too. That way, they touch on all the dance generations. Even a 60's party would be fun! The disco music on the last Mexican Riviera cruise was a blast! I miss it so. :(

Glad that Amy & Freddy are back. Wouldn't be an RSVP cruise without them. Entertainment is always great. Now hopefully music will have improved over last cruise. The only time we get to dance anymore is on our cruises but last cruise, not so much. Too much techno garbage (just my opinion....guess I'm showing my age). Yes, I'll say it...me love the disco music!

Unfortunately it looks like the same DJ's as the last Caribbean cruise. Hopefully we'll get an upgrade for 2010. :rolleyes:

http://www.rsvpvacations.com/cruise_2009_alaska_entertainment.aspx

Have fun folks, I'll see you on the 2010 Southern Caribbean!

The events have now been listed:

RSVP “Bon Voyage” Party

Lido Pool Deck 9 Midship

RSVP “Sailing Solo” Singles Party

Crow’s Nest Observation Deck 10 Forward

RSVP “Women’s” Cocktail Hour

Piano Bar Deck 2 Forward

BearCruise.com Meet & Greet

Northern Lights Night Club Deck 2

Midship Captain’s “Champagne” Reception

Lido Pool Deck 9 Midship

RSVP “Long Johns Underwear” Party

Vista Lounge Decks 1, 2 & 3 Forward

RSVP “Stuck in the ‘80’s” Retro T-Dance

RSVP “Costume” Contest

RSVP “Cowboy Country” Dance Party

RSVP “Leather” Party

RSVP “Purple Plaid” T-Dance

Crow’s Nest Observation Deck 10 Forward

*subject to change

Start thinking about what to pack!

I'm thinking a mermaid or Dorothy in 0z costume.:) Which do you guys think? Dorothy would be easier, but my mom was reminding me that Bette Midler has a character who is a mermaid in a pwerchair.

would be great....Last year I had Steve dressed as Fred Flintstone and his chair was the Flintstone car..

Archived