RSVP Alaska AUG 09

mikec5426

have they ever had to cancel an RSVP cruise from lack of sales? I noticed there are still a lot of cabins available

Not that I know of. RSVP woud surely have paid for the charter in full by now; they would lose everything if they had to refund everyone due to canccelling it. In 2007 the Caribbean Princess and QM2 both sailed and even though it wasn't sold out.

It is...we booked the flights about a month ago to reserve the bulkhead seats for easier transferring to his seat......now if I can figure out to only have carry on luggage with all we need to take it will be a miracle. If they decide there will be a formal night we will opt out or find some wrinkle free tux that can reverse to become a hoodie t-shirt and sweat pants ;)

have they ever had to cancel an RSVP cruise from lack of sales? I noticed there are still a lot of cabins available

thanks again for all the ino..we are getting excited about this trip!

I agree with Peter that they wouldn't cancel. RSVP is a reputable company and I think it would cause a public relation nightmare for them since it is so close many of us have our plane/hotel reservation and have taken vacation time off. In the long run it would cause a lack of trust issue. I've even noticed that Atlantis is no longer selling out all their cruises. On our last cruise Rich Campbell (head honcho Of RSVP/Atlantis) had a Q&A session. Seems like a pretty smart guy and understands economic realities. I got the impression that going foward both RSVP & Atlantis will continue to offer quality vacations but have a reduced selection until the economy picks back up.

Ha Ha...If you can figure out how to pack for an Alaskan cruise with just carry on's please share your secret. :rolleyes: We're also forgoing any formal night. Trying to pack as few suitcases as possible and just can't justify taking clothes that we can only wear for a couple of hours. I think with increased luggage charges for most airlines more and more folks will forgo a formal atmosphere. Would be nice if they changed this to a more business casual event. At least you'd be able to reuse clothing at other times during cruise.

Just a little of four months!

Mike

Mike,

I agree with you about skipping formal night.

I am on the RSVP Mexican Riviera cruise that leaves on Saturday (getting excited!) and they did not schedule any formal nights. I hope that they will keep with this plan for our Alaskan cruise.

I used to enjoy formal nights but agree that it is hard to justify packing the tux and all it's accessories for just a few hours of wear!

I look forward to meeting you guys and will post a note when I return from the Mexican cruise.

Hobie.

I was not really worried about their reputation..They seem great to work with. I just was wondering if the economy tanked would it be possible they would have to cancel. If it did, who could blame them? I guess you are right we will have to check some luggage as well. I was even considering sending a few packages UPS to the hotel in Seattle a to be waiting for us. I wonder if it is hard to get a porter to help with things once you get to the port?

Hobie, Hope u have a great time on Mexican Riviera cruise. Enjoy!

Sorry rbyrd.....I reread my post and must have had a duh moment (not the first time that has happened). Meant to say that because of their reputation and quality, I am confident that they would have given us notice long before now so everyone could adjust their plans.

Sending packages in advance is a good idea. I'm just not that organized. Maybe I should just get some of those vacuum space bags. According to the ads I should be able to shrink a week's worth of clothing into a carryon!

You shouldn't have any problems getting a porter at cruiseport. There's always plenty of help for embarkation/disembarkation. I think you'll be surprised how well Holland American has streamlined this process..

Mike

no need at all for you to apologize..I was just worried it looked like I was concerned about their reputation. I have mainly dealt with my travel agent, but when I have talked with anyone at HAL they have been great to work with!

I had a dream the other night about already being on the cruise and the stormy seas were sending us flying sll over our cabin...and still we were having fun :>)

I had a dream the other night about already being on the cruise and the stormy seas were sending us flying sll over our cabin...and still we were having fun :>)

Just remember...dreams can come true. We had a similar experience on our first cruise. Of course our adventure involved rough seas and a little too much drinking.:eek: On the pulse side, other passengers (including my partner) did have loads of fun watching me trying to keep my balance. Have never made that mistake again, although I will say that over the years they seemed to have made great improvements in the stabilizers.

IN that case, I will also make a doc appt and have him prescribe some kind of seasick med...anyone have experience with which one is best? Our cabin is at the front of the ship, so it should experience some of the movement

Hi guys,

I disembarked the Norwegian Star today after the RSVP Mexican Riviera cruise. It was a lot of fun. Now I'm getting ready for our Alaskan adventure.

I saw a few guys who were wearing the patch for seasickness. The seas were very mild and I didn't hear about anybody who became ill. I recommend Bonine. I usually take it on the first night and don't end up taking it again. It's non drowsy and can be bought in any drugstore.

Less than 4 months to go!

I look forward to meeting you guys.

Hi guys,

I disembarked the Norwegian Star today after the RSVP Mexican Riviera cruise. It was a lot of fun. Now I'm getting ready for our Alaskan adventure.

I saw a few guys who were wearing the patch for seasickness. The seas were very mild and I didn't hear about anybody who became ill. I recommend Bonine. I usually take it on the first night and don't end up taking it again. It's non drowsy and can be bought in any drugstore.

Less than 4 months to go!

I look forward to meeting you guys.

Glad you had a great time. What did you think of the ship? Haven't been on NCL and just curious.

Hopefully will have nice calm sea's. The one and only time I needed something for seasickness I took a dramaine. Good stuff...really works, but made me very sleepy.

Does this mean the offical countdown has begun? I'm so ready!

Yes. The countdown has begun.

I wasn't real crazy about the Norwegian Star. My first time on a NCL ship. The rooms were very basic although comfortable. The food in the buffet and main dining rooms was average but the food in the specialty restaurants was very good. I think I will prefer the HAL Westerday and definitely like the RCL ships that Atlantis uses.

I booked my air yesterday using my frequent flyer points. I'm flying into Seattle on Saturday afternoon.

Looking forward to meeting all you guys.

Hobie.

Wow! A lot of first-time experiences for me right now! First cruise I have ever booked, first posting I am making to this board. Glad to see that there is a thread dedicated to this cruise! Met some RSVP cruisers who happened to be staying at the same guesthouse (Worthington/Alcazar) in Ft. Lauderdale where we were staying on our way back from the Yucatan a little over a year ago...seemed like an interesting bunch, but getting 1500 or so on one ship would be way more than the guesthouse had in terms of capacity.

My partner and I are German (though I was born and raised in the US, and emigrated to become a naturalized German), coming into Seattle on Friday before the cruise departure. Seattle doesn't seem to have quite the same guesthouse culture as Ft. Lauderdale does--any suggestions of good places to stay? I guess there are plenty of chain hotels near the airport and convention type places downtown, and several upscale, Victorian B&Bs to choose from. Ideally, a place that is walking distance to restaurants, shopping and the gay scene, or maybe some pretty outdoors stuff would be nice, preferably not much more than $100 a night (less is just fine). And what about transport to this new Pier 91 thing? There are some limo services and such like, but how far away is the nearest transit stop?

How can I find out more about these mysterious wine cards and the pricing of various bottles in advance? Or are corkage fees and a Seattle wine shop a better way to go? I think I read something like $18 was the corkage fee. I assume that is per table and not per person? Does it also apply to magnum bottles (1.5 liters)? Normally I would choose to drink wines that retail for about $9-15 (well, that's what I'm usually willing to pay...don't mind drinking more expensive stuff, just don't like the bill at the end), and wouldn't want to pay more than about double to two and a half times retail to drink them on board--is this a realistic expectation or should I plan on drinking the free iced tea with every meal?

What else should I know about life on board?

Welcome to Cruise Critic and RSVP cruises!

I am not on your cruise but did the RSVP Alaska cruise in 2007. And I spend a lot of time on Cruise Critic. ;)

You can get a lot of info here and also on the HAL threads.

And what about transport to this new Pier 91 thing? There are some limo services and such like, but how far away is the nearest transit stop?

Taxi's are reasonable from what I remember - and much easier that dragging luggage on public transportation.

How can I find out more about these mysterious wine cards and the pricing of various bottles in advance?

Check the HAL threads, there are frequently posts about it. I don't recall the prices.

Or are corkage fees and a Seattle wine shop a better way to go? I think I read something like $18 was the corkage fee. I assume that is per table and not per person? Does it also apply to magnum bottles (1.5 liters)?

We took a case of wine on the last Caribbean cruise and I don't think I will do that again. One bottle broke on the way to being delivered to the cabin and one bottle had gone bad (usually a good wine). They charged us $18 for every bottle - sometimes they will waive it but don't count on it. It is per bottle, no matter the size, and is charged in dining areas and lounges - no charge for in room drinnking. You can buy a 10 or 20 glass wine card for the house wines that are not bad and I think it comes out to around $6 a glass (or less). You can order more than one glass at a time so you can share it.

Normally I would choose to drink wines that retail for about $9-15 (well, that's what I'm usually willing to pay...don't mind drinking more expensive stuff, just don't like the bill at the end), and wouldn't want to pay more than about double to two and a half times retail to drink them on board--is this a realistic expectation or should I plan on drinking the free iced tea with every meal?

I think there are enough wines in that price range onboard. By the time you bought wine in your price range and add the corkage fee it could be similar to what you can get onboard.

What else should I know about life on board?

Well, there is so much to know! Where to begin? Maybe narrow it down to more specific questions. :)

Do attend church bingo (and bring a church hat for extra fun). Don't try to attend every activity - it's too much.

Ok, then, how about the land excursions? Are they any different in the gay variety than what HAL posts for its mainstream cruises? (Not necessarily different in that the vendor offers something different, but different in the way the crowd reacts--like pork tenderloin is the same at the dining table on a mainstream cruise as it is on an RSVP cruise, but the company at the dining table might be different.)

RSVP and HAL don't arrange all-gay excursions but sometimes travel agents will.If you book through HAL chances are that it will be filled with just RSVPers.

We did a helicoper landing on a glacier excursion independently and Richard and I ended up joining three ladies on a 60th birthday cruise on Celebrity. We had fun with them and then ran into them back in town and stopped to chat and take pictures.Sometimes other ships' passengers are confused. 'What did you do with the women?' is a common question. And they could not figure our why were lining up to take pictures in front of a certain sign on the main street in Juneau. :D

If you hit a small town like Sitka and there's only one ship there it becomes a gay town. :)

We were at the day's first showing of the Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show in Ketchikan and about half the audience was form our ship and the rest was form the other ships. The MC would do her usual act and get all these weird - and sometimes raunchy - responses. It took her a while to figure our what was going on but when she and the lumberjacks figured it out they hammed it up. The two younger lumberjacks were a bit weary and shy but the other two camped it up. The RSVP crowd liked bearish Jamie from NJ and invited him to come sailing with us. His response: 'Do you have beer on board?' Jamie could have had all the beer he wanted if he came with us. ;) Unfortunately we were sailing at 1 pm and he had a show at 4 pm.

ketchikan1746.JPG

Oh, that's interesting that the land tours mix people from different cruise ships! What I have observed from Rhine cruise ships here in Mainz is different...instead each ship's passengers get broken up into groups of up to thirty people (I give tours to these groups!)--but river cruising and the big ships are two different kettle of fish, anyway. Jamie from NJ seems like a nice fellow from the photo.

Anyone else happy about today's e-mail from RSVP announcing the price reductions?

Welcome ConradMZ. Haven't received any email about price reduction. Perhaps it's because we received a discount when we booked on the Eurodam (although an additional reduction would be nice).

As far as hotels I think it just depends on what you want. Price range varies widely. We decided to stay at hotel near the airport to save a little money. Last time we stayed in seattle it was at Crown Plaza and got to do seattle sightseeing. Nice hotel and good location but I think it's a little overprice (as are many of the hotels in downtown seattle). We plan on arriving sat and just want a place to sleep thats near restaurants. We're debating if we will have hotel drop us back off at airport and catch a shuttle or just take a taxi. Pier 91 appears to be a bit futher away than Pier 30 from airport so will depend on prices.

Oh, that's interesting that the land tours mix people from different cruise ships!

We were not booked through the ship for the excursion where we were on a helicopter excursion - we booked directly with the helicopter company. I believe ship's excursions are usually booked just for that ship (and maybe even more so for a gay charter).

Anyone else happy about today's e-mail from RSVP announcing the price reductions?

Haven't received any email about price reduction. Perhaps it's because we received a discount when we booked on the Eurodam (although an additional reduction would be nice).

I am not booked on Alaska but did get an email from RSVP today with price reductions.

As far as hotels I think it just depends on what you want. Price range varies widely. We decided to stay at hotel near the airport to save a little money. Last time we stayed in seattle it was at Crown Plaza and got to do seattle sightseeing. Nice hotel and good location but I think it's a little overprice (as are many of the hotels in downtown seattle). We plan on arriving sat and just want a place to sleep thats near restaurants. We're debating if we will have hotel drop us back off at airport and catch a shuttle or just take a taxi. Pier 91 appears to be a bit futher away than Pier 30 from airport so will depend on prices.

In 2007 we stayed at the Mediterranean Inn near the Space Needle. It was reasonable priced, near restaurants in the funky Lower Queen Anne district and is about 2 miles from Pier 91, the new cruise terminal HAL uses.

wow...this is very generous of Holland America..we did recieve the email saying that our cruise price is reduced by 250.00 per person...!

I think you should thank RSVP, not HAL. ;)

Yes...I am sorry! I get confused about these things:)

It was very generous of RSVP to give the discount.

I was wondering if the same amenities apply for the RSVP cruises as with the regular HAL cruise...? Like the free laundry service for suites, etc

I was wondering if the same amenities apply for the RSVP cruises as with the regular HAL cruise...? Like the free laundry service for suites, etc

I do the know the one time we had a suite all amenities were included. Don't think that has changed.

Did I understand that discount is now $250 per person? Is that for all cabins? Since I didn't receive the email just wanted to clarify. Thanks.

I am not sure if it is for all cabins..maybe it depends on the category? Our is a superior veranda suite..they did send me a brochure to send to friends with the new prices, but I am not sure how to post it or if it is allowed here

Archived