The Shrimp Factory

4luv2cruise

Years ago the Shrimp Factory was a reasonable place to get a decent meal. Now it is very expensive for what you get. Just a block and a half behind it is restaurant row where all the best restaurants in Cabo are. Try Maros of Panchos for great shrimp. If you do head for the beach the Grill at the Cascadas resort right behind Tabascos has the best coconut almond shrimp I have ever had. On the marina, Solomons Landing is great.

we usually do margaritas, chips and guac in Cabo. Cabo has better views than food, and you will pay dearly for fine food with views

IMG_1073.jpg

I very much disagree with that statement. We spend up to a month a year in Cabo and the food is incredible! As I stated above if you stay away from the tourist trap restaurants like the Office, Cabo Wabo etc there are some excellent places, specially for fresh fish and shrimp.

Househunter - any recommends for fish tacos? Looking for "classic" baja style, ideally the kind where they give you fish on a tortilla and a condiments platter on the side.

You have to try Taco Loco, it's in the courtyard below Cabo Wabo. Great authentic fish tacos baja style! Great cheap prices. We make it a point to stop there everytime we hit Cabo.

househunter, do tell, we always go on a cruise ship, and cabo is a limited time port, in May we will arrive at 7am and leave at 3pm, as I recall. Mexico does not open till 10am, so that leaves about 4 hours for Cabo. We walk over to medano beach to rent a scooter, as all nearby scooter rental locations have closed up. That takes nearly an hour. Lunch can take an hour or more in the slow lane, so that leaves not much for sightseeing. Cruise ship food is already fantastic; so unless it is cheap, great, and interesting ambience, like some puerto vallarta resturants are, we skip long meals in cabo. That's why we will do chips and drinks with views, so we can multi-task.

I would love to know where great bargain priced food with views is?

Cabo is world class fishing, so there must be inexpensive world class fish tacos? Where?

The best tacos in Cabo (carne asada, shrimp and fish) are at a tiny place called Gordo Leles. It is located a couple blocks off of the main street (Marina Blvd) kind of behind Cabo Wabo, right next to the Los Milagros hotel. They are $1.50 each! Also Taco Loco in the courtyard in front of Cabo Wabo has ok fish tacos for cheap but not as good as Gordo Leles.

If you are walking on Marina Blvd from the Tesoro resort toward town, there is a tiny bar called the Good Times Bar. There is a sign on the street that says 3x1 but you really have to look for it. It is on the opposite side of the street from the Tesoro. This bar not only has incredible made from scratch margaritas but right next to it inside the little shopping plaza is a awesome little taco place. You can walk over and get them or Nacho the bartender will grab them for you.

Maros shrimp house has the best fresh shrimp! It is located on "Restaurant Row" which borders Hidalgo street which is a block in from Marina Blvd. If you are walking toward town, turn left at the Shrimp Factory. Those 3 blocks of Cabo have the best food and shopping of the whole town. Along with Maros, Panchos is an awesome full service restaurant that serves the best chile rellanos that I have ever had.

You just have to get off the beaten path to find the best. The Mango Deck is fun for an afternoon of drinking but the food is not that great and is very overpriced.

I have also traveled to PV many times and have found the food in Cabo to be much better.

I don't understand "Mexico doesn't open until 10am"?? We are often walking around the marina by 8 and having breakfast at one of our favorite restaurants. Mama's Royal Cafe for lobster benedict or stuffed frenchtoast on Restaurant Row or shrimp benedict and a killer fruit plate at Baja Cantina are great ones to try. The shops near Restaurant Row are all open early as well.

• 2 months later...

Maros shrimp house has the best fresh shrimp! It is located on "Restaurant Row" which borders Hidalgo street which is a block in from Marina Blvd. If you are walking toward town, turn left at the Shrimp Factory. Those 3 blocks of Cabo have the best food and shopping of the whole town. Along with Maros, Panchos is an awesome full service restaurant that serves the best chile rellanos that I have ever had.

I have been looking at a map of Cabo and I found Maros on what appears to be Hidalgo Street across from Zapata St. Is that right? I am not sure what 3 blocks you are referring to, though. We will more than likely be looking for good shopping and a nice place to eat. I am more interested in shopping for crafts and locally made art pieces than in jewelry and t-shirts. Please point me in the right direction!

Heard a lot of great things about Maros. Wanted to try it in April when our cruise stopped in Cabo (7am-3pm). Problem -- didn't open for lunch until 1pm. Much too close to reboarding time! Had lobster and shrimp at shrimp factory. Yes it was expensive, but alot more reasonalbe than the states ($50 included 2 beers, a kilo of shrimp for each of the two of us and a two pound lobster we split).

I have been looking at a map of Cabo and I found Maros on what appears to be Hidalgo Street across from Zapata St. Is that right? I am not sure what 3 blocks you are referring to, though. We will more than likely be looking for good shopping and a nice place to eat. I am more interested in shopping for crafts and locally made art pieces than in jewelry and t-shirts. Please point me in the right direction!

That whole area around Hilalgo will also be your best shopping. There are several flea market type shops that have many vendors in each one. Just stay off the main streets and venture back a block or 2 and you will find the best prices.

Heard a lot of great things about Maros. Wanted to try it in April when our cruise stopped in Cabo (7am-3pm). Problem -- didn't open for lunch until 1pm. Much too close to reboarding time! Had lobster and shrimp at shrimp factory. Yes it was expensive, but alot more reasonalbe than the states ($50 included 2 beers, a kilo of shrimp for each of the two of us and a two pound lobster we split).

Sorry you missed Maros- he usually opens at about 11. Right in that same area are some other great choices that are much better than the Shrimp Factory which is a Mexican chain restaurant. Pancos, Luckys Cabo Grill, Crazy Lobster and of course Gordo Leles are all right there!

Hi Sandy,

Just got back from Cabo on Saturday. Had a fantastic trip. Went to Gordo Lele's place a couple of times. Had the lasagna at Salvatore's on Wed night and leftovers for Thursday lunch. Had a 2 kilo Red Snapper grilled whole at Mocambo's. That's @ 4 1/2 pounds of fish for Holly & I. Lots left over, so we shared with other customers.

Surprised you didn't mention Gardenia's for fish tacos. I haven't had them at Gordo's because we always get the carne asada, but we think Gardina's over behind the McDonalds has the best fish taco's and certainly the largest selection of condiments to go with them. We only got there once (Gardenina's) this trip but Holly has already requested more lunches there next year (probably February/March). So much for having a ham sandwich for lunch at Sunset Beach. Now it will just be alternating between Gordo Lele's and Gardina's each day.

Has Tooley gotten a hold of you. Javier needs a carburator for his Suzuki Samurai (small SUV). Guess there are none in the Cabo area. Right now he just has to take the bus each day.

Welcome back Darrell-

We haven't been to Gardenias yet because they are only open during the day and we are usually at the beach or the pool. I need to try it though, maybe this trip. We are staying in town at the Mar de Cortez for the first 3 nights so we will be wandering town more than usual since they only have a small pool.

I have been talking to Lyndi (Tooley) and it doesn't look like we can help Javier with the carburator. Apparantly you cannot take auto parts on the plane as carry on or checked baggage- considered hazardous. So hopefully he will be able to find someone there who can rebuild his. We do have some money in the fund left to help out.

I can't wait to try his new menu! When we were there in December he only had the carne asada. Now with all the new items and the beer and margaritas we will probably be there often.

Glad you had a great trip, we have 16 days left before ours!

Archived