Question about Bonine

rchauv

GENERIC NAME: meclizine

BRAND NAMES: Antivert, Bonine

DRUG CLASS AND MECHANISM: Meclizine is classified as a histamine receptor blocker medication.

PRESCRIPTION: yes

GENERIC AVAILABLE: no

==============

I copied the above from the first hit on Google. Is this out of date?

I am reading on threads that some people are getting it over the counter and in generic form as well. If it is over the counter, what major outlets and in what location in that store might I find it?

Until the wife can travel better, cruising will be a hard sell. I have recently obtained Sea-bands and they will be tried on our upcoming cruise.

Looks fairly accurate with the exception that you can purchase Meclizine over the counter at most drug stores. (I suppose a doctor might be able to get higher dosage by prescription.)

We buy the generic stuff from Wal-mart. I think it's like $2.50 for a bottle of 50 chewable tablets (raspberry?).

Seabands never worked for us but that may just be psychological. Meclizine has been very good with no side effects. The patch, TransDerm Scop (Scopalamine) was great but had some weird side effects (dry mouth, blurry vision).

Try taking wife on a short 3-day cruise to get her feet wet so to speak. There will be no sea days and you will cruise only at night. If she can make it through dinner and the shows, then your set.

HTH, Steve

" If she can make it through dinner and the shows, then your set."

Funny you should say...

Actually, she did not make it through the first dinner as the seas were quite rough. Barf bags were placed around every elevator. The lounge act that night said six only people showed up. I asked for the ages old remedy of apples and crackers. She then went to bed and (the imagination thing) pictured that she was on a carnival ride. She made it through the night and rest of the cruise all right, especially since our son joined us at the first port.

However, the memory lingers.

I found Bonine on www.walgreens.com..

I think there is a Walgreens on every corner of the US....

Hope this helps.

Is the generic kind at Walmart like the Bonine also???

This is going to be our first cruise and I think we will take it just for safe measure. Have waited this long don't want to ruin the fun by sea sickness...

I have heard its good to start taking it the night before and then take the meds at night if you have any side effects you will be asleep.

Correct me if I am wrong on any of this as I am very new to all of this.

Thanks!!!

Laurie :)

On 8 days worth of cruising (two 4-day cruises combined), I've been sick a total of 2 hrs...the last evening of my second cruise. There were very rough seas. After I got physically ill (trying not to be too graphic), I desperately took two bonine. I got better, but I was either asleep or drugged for about 48 hrs. The pharmacist told me that I'd have been better off to take half in the morning, half in the evening, etc. So just be sure not to let her take *too* much, or she will sleep through the cruise.

~Memrie

Over the years I started with Dramamine, but found it difficult to always be near a glass of water to take an hour before the flight (or whatever), and settled on Bonine. The Bonine can be chewed. Also the Dramamine made me much more sleepy than the Bonine. I'm going to take the tip of having the Bonine at night and maybe the sleepiness won't be so much of a problem. I also just bought the Sea Band to try. I get everything at WalMart...hate the store, love the prices. Have a great time on your cruise!:D :D JYL

I have always used seabands when traveling by car (more than 30 minutes in a car is all I can take) and they work wonderfully for me. On a ship, I use both seabands and Bonine. I take 2 Bonine's a day, one in the morning and one in the early evening and I have never been seasick. What works for some, might not work for others tho.:)

Also a note to those first-timers taking Dramamine or its Wal-Mart "Equate" brand generic....

I had never heard of Bonine before coming to these boards, so I took the tried-and-true regular Dramamine with me on our first cruise (back in June)...it made me sooooooo sleepy...we slept for 8-10 hours straight after taking it. I'd definitely go with the Bonine/Meclizine or a non-drowsy version of Dramamine.

Any suggestions for medicine to help with motion sickness that will not

make you sleepy. I am looking at something for my 9 year old. She has

never been on a cruise but does get motion sickness in the car.

Ginger, ginger, ginger!!! NO side effects, 100% natural and it works. I take 1g the night before, 1g in the morning and 1g about an hour before sailing... I then take 1g the first night.... I just take the pills, but have taken crystallized ginger for nausea as well as ginger ale and snaps.... I have taken it also on deep sea fishing and catamaran tours.... works like a charm for me, and very inexpensive.

To the OP.........availability may depend on where you live??

Bonine and Dramamine are available over the counter, everywhere. But, for example, the generic Meclizine is available over the counter in New Hampshire (say a Wal-Mart), but only available by prescription in Massachusetts. Go figure..............

Ginger, ginger, ginger!!! NO side effects, 100% natural and it works. I take 1g the night before, 1g in the morning and 1g about an hour before sailing... I then take 1g the first night.... I just take the pills, but have taken crystallized ginger for nausea as well as ginger ale and snaps.... I have taken it also on deep sea fishing and catamaran tours.... works like a charm for me, and very inexpensive.

I have an herb business and ginger is the BEST thing for motion sickness (or morning sickness for you pregnant women). There is even a company that makes ginger lollipops for pregnant women. They are called "preggie pops" and you can buy them at http://www.preggiepop.com. They come in different flavors, but the straight ginger ones are the best for motion sickness. I also recently bought ginger Altoids. They also work, but are VERY strong and taste almost like pepper. You've REALLY gotta like ginger to take them! Other natural helpers are licorice and mints. Both are good choices for tea bags to bring along.

One interesting note is Ginger Ale- forget about it unless you've got some sort of natural brand handy. There is no major commercial brand that makes thier ginger ale with natural ginger. They are all now made with artificial ginger flavor. Useless for ANY kind of nausha. (sorry moms, another tried and true remedy we grew up with bites the dust in the wake of "modern technology"

Karen

Archived