Transportation to Old Lahaina Luau from Kahului

Louise45

We will be in Maui overnight but docked at Kahului. We already have a tour that day until 2:30. I seen on the Travel Channel last night about the best authenetic luau in Hawaii was on Maui. It's the Old Lahaina Luau. The ship or Roberts Hawaii doesn't offer that luau. We don't want to rent a car and won't have time. Does anyone know of a tour company that will pick us up at the ship and take us there?

I know there is a bus service but I think its stops running about 9:30.

We did this Luau back last January and its was excellent. I recommend you reconsider car rental as you can be picked up and dropped off at the pier via car rental co. The drive is quite easy and little traffic with many kodak moments along the coast. It's about a 45 min drive if you make a few stops along the way. You can also spend some time in Lahaina walking around town, go see the old banyon tree that is an entire block in size before the luau. Your drive from town to the Luau is no more than 10 min.

The drive back home will be no more then 30 min.and its a well lit highway. I cant remember for sure what time we made it back but if you call the Old Lahaina they will tell you what time the show is over (Im guessing 9:30)

I put in that town and it said the only pick up was at the airport. Are you sure they will bring it to us at the ship? And what about when we get back? We have another tour the next morning so we'd prefer to turn the car in that night. How much of a discount do you get with the blue chip? I couldn't sign up without putting in a credit card # and I'm not sure yet. Thanks for your help and suggestion.

go to: discounthawaiicarrental.com. At the top left click on "Cruise ship passengers". The shuttle will pick you up at the ship and bring you back when you return the car.

I havent used them yet, but they have good reviews on here and we have them booked for two stops next month.

I put in that town and it said the only pick up was at the airport. Are you sure they will bring it to us at the ship? And what about when we get back? We have another tour the next morning so we'd prefer to turn the car in that night. How much of a discount do you get with the blue chip? I couldn't sign up without putting in a credit card # and I'm not sure yet. Thanks for your help and suggestion.

They do pick up in Maui. Go into Thriftys, click on "find location" then put in Maui. You will then see two locations one is the airport and the the other is

KAHULUI HARBOR which is the cruise ship pier.

Their bus will pick you up just outside of the cruise terminal.

As for coming back! Park at the luau in an easy getaway location (close to road) you will be able to sense when the end of luau is going to happen and leave before the crowd does (2 to 5 min). The drive back is an easy one with little traffic. This drive both back and forth is not a complicated drive, its a couple of turns to get on the highway and just follow the signs.

Any of the car rental companies will give you a straight forward map or you can even rent a gps device.

You should plan on returning the car same night as parking at the cruise terminal after 7 pm is very very limited.

You should be able to make back to ship and in bed by 11 pm.

Trust me! This is not a complicated or stressful drive.

The only downside is the driver should limit drinking booze to one or two drinks. I found their drinks to be very good and not watered down so I only had one.

Also the sooner you make reservations for the luau the better your seating location will be. They offer two types of seating, one is on pillows on the floor which gets you in front of stage but if your up there in age it can be tough to sit like that, the second is at tables in a tiered settings and you still have a good view of show. This is a small intimate venue (about 500 people) and it sells out fast. The location is perfect for sunset.

I have attached one picture .

DSC00070.jpg.59714f3230d2d383c03966302e25120a.jpg

They do pick up in Maui. Go into Thriftys, click on "find location" then put in Maui. You will then see two locations one is the airport and the the other is

KAHULUI HARBOR which is the cruise ship pier.

Their bus will pick you up just outside of the cruise terminal.

As for coming back! Park at the luau in an easy getaway location (close to road) you will be able to sense when the end of luau is going to happen and leave before the crowd does (2 to 5 min). The drive back is an easy one with little traffic. This drive both back and forth is not a complicated drive, its a couple of turns to get on the highway and just follow the signs.

Any of the car rental companies will give you a straight forward map or you can even rent a gps device.

You should plan on returning the car same night as parking at the cruise terminal after 7 pm is very very limited.

You should be able to make back to ship and in bed by 11 pm.

Trust me! This is not a complicated or stressful drive.

The only downside is the driver should limit drinking booze to one or two drinks. I found their drinks to be very good and not watered down so I only had one.

Also the sooner you make reservations for the luau the better your seating location will be. They offer two types of seating, one is on pillows on the floor which gets you in front of stage but if your up there in age it can be tough to sit like that, the second is at tables in a tiered settings and you still have a good view of show. This is a small intimate venue (about 500 people) and it sells out fast. The location is perfect for sunset.

I have attached one picture .

Is KAHULUI HARBOR where POA docks or is this for another ship?

I too have reservations for the Old Lahaina Luau. NCL's luau offering is inside a theater...what's up with that??

I considered taking a taxi...until I discovered that the fare could be around $80/each way.

Instead, I rented a car. That way we can also drive around a bit and explore.

I went to Priceline.com and did the option to bid your own price. I offered $40/day....and they accepted!...and here's the kicker....I optioned for a convertible at that price:D.

There are shuttle buses at the dock that take you to the airport to pick up your car and take you back after you drop it off. I am taking my 83 year old mother on this cruise, and although she is spry as a cat, I can drop her off at the dock and then go return the car after the Luau.

Yes, if I recall this is what I'd call a semi industrial port/harbor.

Hmmm...we reserved our rental car in Maui for pick up and drop off at the airport. Will the shuttle take us to the airport? If you opt for the harbor pick up, doesn't it have to bring you to the airport anyway?

Sorry no they won't as the airport is not close to the pier/harbor. You can either call and change your pick up location or you can cancel and rebook on line, if you decide to do it on line, book it as a new reservation in order to make sure you can get a car then cancel your original one. If by chance there are no cars left then call them.

I too have reservations for the Old Lahaina Luau. NCL's luau offering is inside a theater...what's up with that??

I considered taking a taxi...until I discovered that the fare could be around $80/each way.

Instead, I rented a car. That way we can also drive around a bit and explore.

I went to Priceline.com and did the option to bid your own price. I offered $40/day....and they accepted!...and here's the kicker....I optioned for a convertible at that price:D.

There are shuttle buses at the dock that take you to the airport to pick up your car and take you back after you drop it off. I am taking my 83 year old mother on this cruise, and although she is spry as a cat, I can drop her off at the dock and then go return the car after the Luau.

2 points! We were picked up at the dock and taken directly to the rental car lot not to any airport. Secondly I'm not sure If you are keeping your car overnight or not but you may be running into closing time if you plan on going to ship first and then back with car. Just a thought!

2 points! We were picked up at the dock and taken directly to the rental car lot not to any airport. Secondly I'm not sure If you are keeping your car overnight or not but you may be running into closing time if you plan on going to ship first and then back with car. Just a thought!

How far was the drive from the pier to the airport?

Sorry no they won't as the airport is not close to the pier/harbor. You can either call and change your pick up location or you can cancel and rebook on line, if you decide to do it on line, book it as a new reservation in order to make sure you can get a car then cancel your original one. If by chance there are no cars left then call them.

The rental companies probably added the Kahului Harbor pickup location for a few reasons. One is so they will know how many pax have reservations with them that day in order to plan resources (shuttles and drivers). Another is that it costs a tad more to go back and forth picking up/dropping off cruise pax from the pier and airport. Customers coming in by plane do not require the extra expense involved with the shuttle service.

However, the Kahului airport is most certainly quite close to the Kahului pier. It's maybe 2-1/2 or 3 miles (give or take) from the pier to the rental car pickup area at the airport. It's less than 10 minutes by shuttle. (Of course, Lahaina is almost an hour's drive away on the west side, so pax whose ships tender at Lahaina must not--ever--try to rent from the Kahului airport locations. There are several options for them on the west side.)

beachchick

Hi,

I just returned on sunday from this cruise. My DH and I went to the Old Lahaina Luau. We did take the bus. There were free shuttles from the port that took you to the Mall where we got on. However, we went very early in the morning the shuttles from the pier didn't start running until 9 am so we took a cab to the mall. The Lahaina Islander #20 runs every hour on the 1/2 hour. It was $1 each to ride out to Lahaina. The last bus back to Kahului is 8:30 pm. We had arranded for a shuttle thru Executive Transportation, but our table mates at the Luau had a car and dropped back at the bus station in time to catch the bus back. Once we got to the Mall, we took a cab back to the ship. Cab far to and from the mall /ship $7.70 each way. Bus fare for 2 round trip $4. Although it was poring rain during the first part of the Luau, it was still a good show. FYI: As soon as I get myself siuated from the trip, I'll post a review.

Teri

Sorry don't know for sure have never done it but I don't think its that far. I would suggest you get the airport address and the pier address and put them into "google map" which will map it out and give you distance and approx driving time. I use this tool all the time for all of our cruises in order to figure out points of interest from hotel or ship pier.

• 2 years later...
Any members know where the RCCL Radiance docks when in Mauii ? also any thoughts on the Old Lahina Luau ?

Your cruise itinerary should tell you whether you will be docked at Kahului or tendered at Lahaina.

Old Lahaina Luau gets rave reviews almost all the time. One thing to remember is that they stick with strictly Hawaiian culture and so do not have the fire dancers (that is Samoan, I think). For some people, it's a deal breaker; for others, they'd rather have the more authentic Hawaiian luau in a wonderful setting. (A note: We do not attend commercial luaus, so I cannot give you firsthand feedback. I can tell you that the OLL location is wonderful and that, if you're tendered at Lahaina, it's only a couple of miles from the tender pier.)

beachchick

also any thoughts on the Old Lahina Luau ?

Did OLL and LOVED it!! It was the second luau we did on our trip and definitely the best. We chose them because it has been widely touted as the "best" and "most authentic" luau in Hawaii by several guide books and Travel Channel shows.

You can see my full review with photos and video of Old Lahaina Luau here:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/category/cruises/hawaii-2010/

Click on the first Maui link. Hope that helps!

Archived