TravelPass/Oyster Card

I have heard quite a bit of reference to the Travelpass and Oyster Card...the transportation cards used in/around London. Specifically, I have questions questions about the advantages to combining and using both. In all honesty, I'm very confused, and have tried to research the official websites for these. But I remain confused. Can someone explain these, in simple terms. We plan to spend two days in London, post-cruise, and do some general sightseeing. What would be our best course of action for purchasing a transportation card?

Thanks for any help!

Oyster Card v Travelcard is very complex, but certainly its not a matter of purchasing both you'd buy one or the other.

Very crudely if you're doing lots of classic sightseeing like the Tower of London, HOHO buses its cheaper to go for Travelcard which has extremely attractive 2 for 1 offers if you purchase them from a railway station.

If you want just pure public transport get an Oyster Card which is priced crudely 0.50 GBP below that of Travelcard.

There are a lot of ifs and buts though. If you have 11-15 year old kids then Travelcard has its advantages over Oyster. Oyster is also not compatable with the ticketing system of much of the suburban train system which for the most part doesn't affect most visitors, the train to Hampton Court being the most high profile transport where Travelcard works and Oyster doesn't.

I know you've read a few articles that have confused, but spend some time with the link page below and all should be come clearer

Oyster Card v Travelcard

One thing that is probably confusing is that often "travelcards" are referred to as the daily/weekly/monthly fee for unlimited travel on the tube/buses. These are something you put ON the oyster card. They used to be sold on their own as paper tickets. I *think* daily travelcards are the ones that are still sold this way, all of the others go on the oyster card.

One thing that is probably confusing is that often "travelcards" are referred to as the daily/weekly/monthly fee for unlimited travel on the tube/buses. These are something you put ON the oyster card. They used to be sold on their own as paper tickets. I *think* daily travelcards are the ones that are still sold this way, all of the others go on the oyster card.

Its slightly more complicated.

If you buy a 1 or 3 day Travelcard anywhere it comes on a card.

If you buy a 7 day, Monthly Travelcard it comes on an Oyster Card.

If you buy a 7 day Travelcard from a railway station (not an Underground station) it comes on a card.

The last subtle difference is important if you want to take advantage of the 2 for 1 admission offers or travel to Hampton Court or anywhere else on the suburban trains that cannot read the electronic Oyster Cards.

Oyster Card v Travelcard is very complex, but certainly its not a matter of purchasing both you'd buy one or the other.

Very crudely if you're doing lots of classic sightseeing like the Tower of London, HOHO buses its cheaper to go for Travelcard which has extremely attractive 2 for 1 offers if you purchase them from a railway station.

If you want just pure public transport get an Oyster Card which is priced crudely 0.50 GBP below that of Travelcard.

There are a lot of ifs and buts though. If you have 11-15 year old kids then Travelcard has its advantages over Oyster. Oyster is also not compatable with the ticketing system of much of the suburban train system which for the most part doesn't affect most visitors, the train to Hampton Court being the most high profile transport where Travelcard works and Oyster doesn't.

I know you've read a few articles that have confused, but spend some time with the link page below and all should be come clearer

Oyster Card v Travelcard

We will be on London for 7 days but plan on a lot of sightseeing (Tower of London, Hop on/Hop off, etc.) Please give me details on how to get the 2 for 1 offer. Also, is it difficult to find a railway station to but the card?

I have heard quite a bit of reference to the Travelpass and Oyster Card...the transportation cards used in/around London. Specifically, I have questions questions about the advantages to combining and using both. In all honesty, I'm very confused, and have tried to research the official websites for these. But I remain confused. Can someone explain these, in simple terms. We plan to spend two days in London, post-cruise, and do some general sightseeing. What would be our best course of action for purchasing a transportation card?

Thanks for any help!

Try this web page. I stumbled on it while researching London travel options.

http://www.londontoolkit.com/briefing/travelcard_oyster.htm

Okay, I am a little (?) confused. I willb e in London for a week. It is our first time so we will be going to lots of attractions. I have a choice between the Oyster Card and the Travelpass. Seems as if the Travelpass is a good option since it comes with the 2for1 options of lots of places we want to visit. It says in order to get the 2for1 we need to buy the Travelpass at the Railroad station. So do we just go to the London Victoria station (which OP said is closest to our hotel) and buy this Travelpass? Has anyone done this and is this how it works? I assume I have to go to the 2for1 area to print off my selections?

I guess I am just a little confused as this does not sound overly easy.

Okay, I am a little (?) confused. I willb e in London for a week. It is our first time so we will be going to lots of attractions. I have a choice between the Oyster Card and the Travelpass. Seems as if the Travelpass is a good option since it comes with the 2for1 options of lots of places we want to visit. It says in order to get the 2for1 we need to buy the Travelpass at the Railroad station. So do we just go to the London Victoria station (which OP said is closest to our hotel) and buy this Travelpass? Has anyone done this and is this how it works? I assume I have to go to the 2for1 area to print off my selections?

What you want to accompany the 2 for 1 promotion vouchers is a Travelcard with a rail logo. These are sold for 1,3 or 7 days duration. They cover all public transport and also give you 33% discount on scheduled river services.

You go the rail ticket office at Victoria Rail Station, (not the London Underground ticket office) and ask for x Travelcards for x days for x people for zones 1 & 2.

It says in order to get the 2for1 we need to buy the Travelpass at the Railroad station. So do we just go to the London Victoria station (which OP said is closest to our hotel) and buy this Travelpass? Has anyone done this and is this how it works? I assume I have to go to the 2for1 area to print off my selections?

Handfordr explains it well. In addition, pick up a number of Days Out brochures at the rail station. If you do not find them displayed in a rack ask when purchasing your travel cards. Each brochure has two or three blank vouchers. The brochure vouchers are easier to use than printing off vouchers on the Days Out website.

What you want to accompany the 2 for 1 promotion vouchers is a Travelcard with a rail logo. These are sold for 1,3 or 7 days duration. They cover all public transport and also give you 33% discount on scheduled river services.

You go the rail ticket office at Victoria Rail Station, (not the London Underground ticket office) and ask for x Travelcards for x days for x people for zones 1 & 2.

Thank you. We re staying at Crown Plaza St. James, 45 Buckingham Gate, Westminster, London. Is that near the Victoria Rail Station?

Marilee

Handfordr explains it well. In addition, pick up a number of Days Out brochures at the rail station. If you do not find them displayed in a rack ask when purchasing your travel cards. Each brochure has two or three blank vouchers. The brochure vouchers are easier to use than printing off vouchers on the Days Out website.

Thank you, I'll put this information in my notes.

Marilee

Thank you. We re staying at Crown Plaza St. James, 45 Buckingham Gate, Westminster, London. Is that near the Victoria Rail Station?

Marilee

Its a walk of about 800 yards down Victoria Street, a main thoroughfare.

Your hotel is quite central, going the other way down Victoria Street a similar distance is Westminster Abbey / Big Ben / Houses of Parliament.

Even closer is Buckingham Palace at the other end of Buckingham Gate to your hotel.

Your nearest Underground is St James Park, about 250 yards away.

Your hotel is quite central, going the other way down Victoria Street a similar distance is Westminster Abbey / Big Ben / Houses of Parliament.

Even closer is Buckingham Palace at the other end of Buckingham Gate to your hotel.

Thank you so much. This is great information.

SO we just print off the 2 for 1 coupons and go to the Victoria Station to buy our Travel Pass, correct? We will be there for 7 days do we buy a 7-day pass (is there such thing)?

Marilee

SO we just print off the 2 for 1 coupons and go to the Victoria Station to buy our Travel Pass, correct? We will be there for 7 days do we buy a 7-day pass (is there such thing)?

Marilee

You ask for a 7 Day Travelcard for zones 1 & 2, asking for a Travel Pass will result in you be asked to clarify what exactly you want.

You will know you have got the right product if they give you a ticket as a thin piece of card. If its a plastic credit card style ticket you've gone to the wrong place to purchase. 7 Day Travelcards not bought at a rail ticket office come on an Oyster Card Smartcard, these are not valid for the 2 for 1 offers.

You hand the coupons in at the attraction prior to payment. Many places don't even ask to see the Travelcard but you should be ready to show it if requested.

Thank you, once again, for the responses. I did have one additional question...along the same lines...to ask. We plan to cruise out of Dover, and will need to make arrangements to/from London. It's my understanding that there is a bus option as well as a train option. Do either of these (bus or train) have any co-program or benefit with the Travel Card/Oyster Card? Or are they all totally separate forms of travel? Thanks so much!

Thank you, once again, for the responses. I did have one additional question...along the same lines...to ask. We plan to cruise out of Dover, and will need to make arrangements to/from London. It's my understanding that there is a bus option as well as a train option. Do either of these (bus or train) have any co-program or benefit with the Travel Card/Oyster Card? Or are they all totally separate forms of travel? Thanks so much!

You cannot use Travelcard or Oystercard to travel on the Dover buses and trains from London.

At the moment both these passes just cover the London urban area

The public transport options between Dover and London are covered at the link below:

London to Dover by Public Transport

You ask for a 7 Day Travelcard for zones 1 & 2, asking for a Travel Pass will result in you be asked to clarify what exactly you want.

You will know you have got the right product if they give you a ticket as a thin piece of card. If its a plastic credit card style ticket you've gone to the wrong place to purchase. 7 Day Travelcards not bought at a rail ticket office come on an Oyster Card Smartcard, these are not valid for the 2 for 1 offers.

You hand the coupons in at the attraction prior to payment. Many places don't even ask to see the Travelcard but you should be ready to show it if requested.

Thanks so much for the information.

We are staying at the Marriot Kensington. Where would I get the travel card and is the hop on hop off bus definitely on the 2 for 1? Thanks for any help you can give me.

I'd like to know this also as I cannot find it on the 2 for 1.

We are staying at the Marriot Kensington. Where would I get the travel card and is the hop on hop off bus definitely on the 2 for 1? Thanks for any help you can give me.

The HOHO bus on the 2 for 1 scheme is the Original London Tour.

I must say buying a Travelcard to enable a discount on a hop on, hop off bus doesn't sound right, so do your sums.

The whole point of getting a Travelcard is to use public transport to get around instead of a HOHO bus.

The Marriott Kensington is not really near a mainline railway station. Nearest one I guess would be Victoria, 4 stops on the Underground.

Your nearest Underground Station is Earls Court which is outside the area covered by the HOHO buses. If you buy a Travelcard from Earls Court it won't be valid for the 2 for 1 offers.

Archived