Royal Caribbean & Universal Orlando partnership

Anyone catch today's news release about Royal Caribbean and Universal Orlando Resort partnering to offer Ultimate Land and Cruise Vacation?

http://www.prweb.com/releases/Royal_Caribbean/Universal_Orlando_Resort/prweb2240074.htm

Bookings for Way More Than a Cruise are open for travel starting March 31, 2009.

As a Florida resident, it doesn't appeal much to me but it might interest out-of-state vacationers looking for a land/cruise vacation. And here is the direct link to RCI's Way More Than a Cruise website:

http://www.waymorethanacruise.com/

Anyone catch today's news release about Royal Caribbean and Universal Orlando Resort partnering to offer Ultimate Land and Cruise Vacation?

http://www.prweb.com/releases/Royal_Caribbean/Universal_Orlando_Resort/prweb2240074.htm

I think this is a very cool idea. Very similar to Disney's concept, of a park stay then a cruise. Thanks for pointing it out!

Mike

I won a trip for 4 to Universal Studios over the weekend. Flight, inpark motel and tickets included. We already booked a cruise out of Cape Liberty for August. As soon as we receive the info, I'm definitely going to check out the options on this one.

Interesting. I just checked prices for adding 3 nights in Orlando before our June 8th cruise....they wanted about $600 more per person to add 3 days in Orlando.

I think this would be a great idea but they need to bring the technology of the site up to speed. For instance, you see "approx" prices and have to call a "Vacation Planner" to get exact prices.

You should be able to do it all online like the Disney Reservation site.

I notice that RCCL has hooked up with Universal to offer a cruise/hotel /theme park package.

I am booked on the Jan 2010 Oasis but it appears that this ship is excluded from the package. Why the discrimination?

Sy

Interesting idea.

I like the idea. But I think it should be able to be added on to other cruises in the area, just not Port Canaveral. Also, I think the price needs to be more reasonable. But I am not sure of the exact pricing because I did not call their hotline.

I notice that RCCL has hooked up with Universal to offer a cruise/hotel /theme park package.

I am booked on the Jan 2010 Oasis but it appears that this ship is excluded from the package. Why the discrimination?

Looks like they're only doing the packages with ship sailing from Port Canaveral. Port Canaveral is only about an hour from Universal while fort lauderdale would be at least a 3 hour trip and Miami at least a 4 hour trip.

We love Universal, especially the "fast pass" lines with your hotel room key. What a great combo!

Oh yeah makes the extra price of staying on property well worth it. Of course thats only for the two lowes hotels and the hard rock hotel. The other hotels listed don't have that perk included but are of course cheaper.

Interesting. I just checked prices for adding 3 nights in Orlando before our June 8th cruise....they wanted about $600 more per person to add 3 days in Orlando.

I think this would be a great idea but they need to bring the technology of the site up to speed. For instance, you see "approx" prices and have to call a "Vacation Planner" to get exact prices.

You should be able to do it all online like the Disney Reservation site.

Yes, the website is lacking in that you can't get exact prices and would have to call for 3rd/4th rates.

The 3-night package I looked at was $622 more pp than 7-night cruise alone but it actually comes down to $553 pp because it includes all taxes & fees (roughly $70 pp for the cruise). This morning I did tests for separately priced out 6/18/09 3-nights at Hard Rock and 6/17/09 4-nights at Hard Rock followed by 7 night Freedom cruise in balcony stateroom (without any senior/residency or other discounts).

With the 3-night, total package cost is $20 more than separatly priced (cruise, hotel, park ticket, taxes and fees) but it includes all ground transfers (airport, resort, port and return).

With the 4-night however, the additional night at Hard Rock cost $148 more pp, for $298 more total, through RCI's package, while directly through Hard Rock it was only $65 more total including tax! So the package cost $233 extra!! :eek:!!! And it's not because of an extra day at Universal (both the 3 and 4 night packages state a 7-day Universal 2-park ticket is included)!

Yet the land/cruise package was supposed to save you up to 25%! :confused: I think they need to tweak the new website's pricing. Until then, I suggest everyone price out the items separately to make sure the package deal really is a deal. :rolleyes:

Sy

I'm guessing, depending upon the success of this program, they may eventually extend it to other ships sailing from Port Canaveral.

We love Universal, especially the "fast pass" lines with your hotel room key. What a great combo!

Yes, we love fast passes at all the theme parks. For those not staying in on-site hotels, Universal offers 2-park Universal Express VIP Pass (7 day ticket) for $250 vs. $100 regular ticket.

Being Florida residents, we can get discounted tickets or season passes to the various theme parks and just go when everything is less crowded. :p

Universal is running some nice deals of their own, deep discounts on the hotel room when you book multiple nights. That could be what you are seeing when you check prices.

Yes, the website is lacking in that you can't get exact prices and would have to call for 3rd/4th rates.

The 3-night package I looked at was $622 more pp than 7-night cruise alone but it actually comes down to $553 pp because it includes all taxes & fees (roughly $70 pp for the cruise). This morning I did tests for separately priced out 6/18/09 3-nights at Hard Rock and 6/17/09 4-nights at Hard Rock followed by 7 night Freedom cruise in balcony stateroom (without any senior/residency or other discounts).

With the 3-night, total package cost is $20 more than separatly priced (cruise, hotel, park ticket, taxes and fees) but it includes all ground transfers (airport, resort, port and return).

With the 4-night however, the additional night at Hard Rock cost $148 more pp, for $298 more total, through RCI's package, while directly through Hard Rock it was only $65 more total including tax! So the package cost $233 extra!! :eek:!!! And it's not because of an extra day at Universal (both the 3 and 4 night packages state a 7-day Universal 2-park ticket is included)!

Yet the land/cruise package was supposed to save you up to 25%! :confused: I think they need to tweak the new website's pricing. Until then, I suggest everyone price out the items separately to make sure the package deal really is a deal. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing, depending upon the success of this program, they may eventually extend it to other ships sailing from Port Canaveral.

Yes, we love fast passes at all the theme parks. For those not staying in on-site hotels, Universal offers 2-park Universal Express VIP Pass (7 day ticket) for $250 vs. $100 regular ticket.

Being Florida residents, we can get discounted tickets or season passes to the various theme parks and just go when everything is less crowded. :p

We booked it for three days pre-cruise in June. I priced it out and we could have done it slightly cheaper on our own but we really like the idea of the transfers from airport to hotel to pier to airport! I actually think it is relatively cheaper than most other land/cruise package deals I've seen. We picked the Royal Pacific Resort and we'll do the Luau there one night and we have tickets for the Blue Man Group one night. It's all very new right now so I wouldn't be surprised if there are some initial problems so I'm hoping they are all worked out by June.

We booked it for three days pre-cruise in June. I priced it out and we could have done it slightly cheaper on our own but we really like the idea of the transfers from airport to hotel to pier to airport! I actually think it is relatively cheaper than most other land/cruise package deals I've seen. We picked the Royal Pacific Resort and we'll do the Luau there one night and we have tickets for the Blue Man Group one night. It's all very new right now so I wouldn't be surprised if there are some initial problems so I'm hoping they are all worked out by June.

Looks like you made some real nice choices! :D The only drawback I see is fitting it all into 3 days! Thank goodness you'll have Universal's Express ride access. Yes, I think the transfers will insure peace of mind. Enjoy your land/cruise vacation!

Happy sailing to all ~ Judy & Don (and Robbie :cool: )

Looks like you made some real nice choices! :D The only drawback I see is fitting it all into 3 days! Thank goodness you'll have Universal's Express ride access. Yes, I think the transfers will insure peace of mind. Enjoy your land/cruise vacation!

Happy sailing to all ~ Judy & Don (and Robbie :cool: )

But you see that was the point! DH and I aren't so crazy about doing the rides at the parks and we'll have our 10 yr old granddaughter. So we're hoping a few shows and rides each day and some pool time plus the night activities will make her very happy!

I just called and priority embarkation is included in this package.

Sweet!

*Update*

The Royal Rep who told me this called and told me this isnt true. She apologized for the misunderstanding and claimed to be confused since this program is so new and they havent received training. Be careful, as the reps really dont know that much yet.

I booked it just for the priority embarkation. :(

Im deciding if I want to keep it now.

To me it is easier to put together what I want for when I want instead of buying any package. The package approach like Disney uses only works for me if there is significant savings.

Besides I prefer WDW property to Universal, but I know others feel just differently so to each their own with regard to what parks they prefer.

We are having issues figuring out the best way to get to Ft Lauderdale from Orlando on May 2. We are renting a car as we will be there 5 days but it seems costly to leave it at Ft Lauderdale. The other question is what are other options that I can book now so I don't have to worry. We arrive in Orlando on 4/27 and the cruise sails 5/2 at 5:00 pm

Thanks

We are having issues figuring out the best way to get to Ft Lauderdale from Orlando on May 2. We are renting a car as we will be there 5 days but it seems costly to leave it at Ft Lauderdale. The other question is what are other options that I can book now so I don't have to worry. We arrive in Orlando on 4/27 and the cruise sails 5/2 at 5:00 pm

Thanks

I would fly Southwest. The cost per person is $49 for a one way ticket.

• 2 weeks later...
I would fly Southwest. The cost per person is $49 for a one way ticket.

Yeap flying Southwest. Got on the net and got a pretty good deal renting a car in Orlando for the week then driving to FT Lauderdale and leaving it at the rental drop-off on Miami Blvd near the terminal. They shuttle to the cruise terminal for free. One more worry off my back. :cool:

Archived