New to Cruising - Boudicca 9th April 09

motorcar48

Hi to you all

Yes, Thursday 15th April was an interesting day to travel.

Take off was 09.15, so we were in Stanstead airport at 06.00, last minute panic buying, in the Exec Lounge by 06.30, cereals and plenty of coffee, Sheila taking her happy pills, watching the aircraft, when Sheila noticed something on the TV about some volcano & ash cloud, then flights started to get cancelled at other airports, then some flights from Stanstead, still watching the TV and talking to others we assumed these were flights going in a northerly direction so didnt get to concerned.

Flight called, boarded aircraft, taxied out, as we lined up for take off noticed another Thompson aircraft taxing out, off we went and that was it.

About 2 hours out the Captain came around talking to people and that was when the full story came out, the flight behind us was the last take off from Stanstead. All UK airspace had been closed, he had not seen anything like it in his 20 years of flying. He was aware that there was another Thompson flight some distance behind us but did not know if it was from Gatwick or Manchester.

It turned out later to be the Gatwick flight, it would be 2 more days before the Manchester flight arrived but not from Manchester but Glasgow and thats a long story for them to tell.

There is more to tell, we will save it for a Part 2 & 3

Best wishes, happy cruising

David & Sheila

countdown.pl?name=motorcar 48&date=4-15-2010&image=Beach-8&text=is it time to go yet&ship=Braemar

• 1 month later...

Still waiting for parts 2 and 3 lol

Anyway how is the gang?

Quite a lot going on in our lives here, work wise and health wise, dop me an e-mail if you want to get really bored and listen to it all - but basically now got the summer off now

We have just changed our next cruise to be on the Balmoral at Christmas, somehow we both like that idea.

Have to catch up some time

Steve

Still waiting for parts 2 and 3 lol

Anyway how is the gang?

Quite a lot going on in our lives here, work wise and health wise, dop me an e-mail if you want to get really bored and listen to it all - but basically now got the summer off now

We have just changed our next cruise to be on the Balmoral at Christmas, somehow we both like that idea.

Have to catch up some time

Steve

Hey Steve,

The summer off sounds nice in this weather, although I hope that's by choice and not related to the health/work issues you mention.

Been a busy couple of months for us as our youngest has been taking GCSEs and our eldest has landed home from uni for the summer.

No more cruises booked at the moment although we are on the hunt for next year. Seen a couple we like the look of. One on Boudicca covering Italy, Croatia, Montenegro, Malta and Tunis and another on P&O's Aurora which sails out of Southampton to the Azures and then the Carribean and then comes back again via Madeira. Really fancy the second one but at 21 nights got to work out time of work and money!!

Say hello to Jan for us.

Sue

Hi Steve

Decided not to post a full part 2 & 3 for a number of reasons.

On arrival at Stanstead we were told the ship would not be calling at the Azores a problem with obtaining fuel, there was a lot of talk on board and of course rumour mongers were working overtime, not the first time the Azores had been cancelled.

Then I ended up being taken off the ship on the first night and into hospital in Barbados. I must be the only person to benefit from the delays caused by the volcano, because the Manchester flight was delayed, Contary to what is published on the Olsen web site Braemar did not sail on time and we also missed out on the stop in Dominica. I did get back on ship in time, unfortunately had to stay in the cabin for a few days.

Overall we enjoyed Braemar, everything seems to revolve around deck 5, either up or down one deck, the shows were good and of course you had the additional show in the coral club each night, enjoyed the facilities. The food was not as good as Boudicca. The suite was nice plenty of room and we enjoyed the balcony especially as I was tied to the cabin, the decor and bathroom are a bit tired and in need of refurbishment.

Nice to hear youve booked another, Balmoral youll have to tell us about that. As you can see at the bottom we have booked another one, no doubt it will bring a smile and comment from Sue & Phil after everything Ive said previously, but my excuse is its all about time, price & itinery. The one we wanted to do was from Callao (Peru) to Southampton on Black Watch, to many days holiday required and the price, one day when we retire. I want to do the Panama Canal

Hope everyone is well and we hear from you soon

David & Sheila

countdown.pl?image=Beach-10&name=&date=5-14-2011&text=&ship=Independence of the Seas

Hi Steve

Decided not to post a full part 2 & 3 for a number of reasons.

On arrival at Stanstead we were told the ship would not be calling at the Azores a problem with obtaining fuel, there was a lot of talk on board and of course rumour mongers were working overtime, not the first time the Azores had been cancelled.

Then I ended up being taken off the ship on the first night and into hospital in Barbados. I must be the only person to benefit from the delays caused by the volcano, because the Manchester flight was delayed, Contary to what is published on the Olsen web site Braemar did not sail on time and we also missed out on the stop in Dominica. I did get back on ship in time, unfortunately had to stay in the cabin for a few days.

Overall we enjoyed Braemar, everything seems to revolve around deck 5, either up or down one deck, the shows were good and of course you had the additional show in the coral club each night, enjoyed the facilities. The food was not as good as Boudicca. The suite was nice plenty of room and we enjoyed the balcony especially as I was tied to the cabin, the decor and bathroom are a bit tired and in need of refurbishment.

Nice to hear youve booked another, Balmoral youll have to tell us about that. As you can see at the bottom we have booked another one, no doubt it will bring a smile and comment from Sue & Phil after everything Ive said previously, but my excuse is its all about time, price & itinery. The one we wanted to do was from Callao (Peru) to Southampton on Black Watch, to many days holiday required and the price, one day when we retire. I want to do the Panama Canal

Hope everyone is well and we hear from you soon

David & Sheila

countdown.pl?image=Beach-10&name=&date=5-14-2011&text=&ship=Independence of the Seas

That sounds like an eventful cruise. Hope you are fully recovered. Can't imagine hospital in a foreign country was much fun.

Wow Independence of the Seas, now that's big! I seem to remember the words "Wouldn't catch me on a floating block of flats" or something to that effect, whilst admiring asaid block of flats docked next to us. Mind you I think I was nodding in agreement and look what we ended up on this year! Just don't look down from the top deck. It's a long way!

It'll be interesting to get a comparison report back from an American ship as we've all been on the British lines so far. (Yes, I know Fred is a Norwegian line but it's been adopted!)

Great to hear from everyone.

Sue & Phil

It'll be interesting to get a comparison report back from an American ship as we've all been on the British lines so far. (Yes, I know Fred is a Norwegian line but it's been adopted!).

... and MSC are Italian so not British either :)

That sounds like an eventful cruise. Hope you are fully recovered. Can't imagine hospital in a foreign country was much fun.

Wow Independence of the Seas, now that's big! I seem to remember the words "Wouldn't catch me on a floating block of flats" or something to that effect, whilst admiring asaid block of flats docked next to us. Mind you I think I was nodding in agreement and look what we ended up on this year! Just don't look down from the top deck. It's a long way!

It'll be interesting to get a comparison report back from an American ship as we've all been on the British lines so far. (Yes, I know Fred is a Norwegian line but it's been adopted!)

Sue & Phil

Sue

It is an experience I wouldnt like to repeat, but hospital was the best place for me at the time.

The ambulance crew were very proffesional, knew what they were doing.

The Queen Elizabeth Hospital could do with a few bob spent on it, but the staff were excellent, I know I jumped queues, they understood and said they would get me back on board the ship before it sailed, if my condition allowed it.

My main concern was Sheila if I didnt get back on board she would have to go into a Hotel in Bridgetown, not a problem that would be arranged by the port agent, what didnt help was when a member of his staff told her "it would be alright, they knew a safe hotel", wonder what the rest are like.

They knew there were 2 Doctors on board plus they said it was better for me to sail home than fly.

I got back on board before it sailed thanks to a volcano, otherwise we might have been chasing the ship around the Caribbean.

Back at work part time, still have some more tests to be carried out at hospital, feeling a lot better.

The biggest bill I had was from the ships Medical Centre, insurance company have already paid up

David

Sue & Phil

Hi Sue

I knew I'd have to eat humble pie, the only thing I can say is I think its bigger than a block of flats, the statistics are a wow

160,000 tons 1100ft long 70ft wide 3600 passengers 1400 crew

the only cruise ship I can think of thats bigger is Oasis, no doubt someone will tell me if i'm wrong

Between us we have spoken to a few people that have been on board and they all enjoyed it, from late 20's to over 70

Weve fond memories of the 2 Olsen cruises and can see us going with them again in the future

Hope everyone is well

David & Sheila

• 1 month later...

I was this the NCL Epic, on the July Transatlantic and could not wait to get off!! As an American who has liked most of the British I have cruised with, I would like to try Fred Olsen/P&O. If you all want to try a good American line I would suggest Royal Caribbean and its Voyager, Freedom, or Oasis Class ships.

My San Juan to Barcelona Adventure of the Seas Transatlantic May cruise was among the best I have been on. Most people I met seemed to feel the same way, while the Epic transatlantic was a disappointment to many.

GKBiiii

As you can see our next cruise is with RCI on Independance, this is a big jump in size for us, hopefully not a step to far, everyone we have spoken to that has been on Independance speaks highly of it.

We will however go back to FOCL, if you like traditional cruising they are good, ships a bit old, theatres need updating some views arent good. Food was particularly good on Boudicca, enjoyed the layout on Braemar.

Ships are of a size that on a two week cruise you get to see and talk to them same people. If it makes sence 'the pace of life' on board is right, for us

As you can see I started this thread and the 4 names that figure prominently, Robbo 123, Curlywurly, Shecat 7 and ourselves all sailed together on Boudicca, we used to meet up at night for a drink, still speak on this thread and by email, I think that is a good recommendation for small ship cruising

Its all about the style, itinery that suits you, if you dont try it you cant talk about it, we might not be as brash as our colonial cousins but we can enjoy ourselves

Happy cruising

Motorcar:)

For a complete A-Z guide of everything you need to know in preparation for your cruise please visit www.fredolsencruises.co.uk/About-Cruising/A-Z-Holiday-Cruise-Guide/A

This will tell you most things you may need to know about travelling on our ships. Regards Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines, Head Office, Ipswich

Hi friends, had to make some changes, yet again, so not going at Christmas but in February next year to the Caribbean, including Cuba.

Few things happened recently, health wise and job wise, will email you over the weekend when i am more with it

Steve

• 1 month later...

Having been on short cruises to Norway, Spain and river cruises on the Rhine & Seine this thread started with a couple of simple questions about longer cruises and in particular transatlantic, it developed into a site with 4 people talking both pre & post cruise. For us it was good in that we got on board with pretty good idea of what to expect.

A couple of comments from Fred and others have kept it going.

On more personal matters we have kept in touch by Email, unfortunately I can't find Shecat7, if you read this please post your email address.

To reach 9000 hits I find amazing and hope you have enjoyed our chat. I intend to post my comments comparing my next cruise with those on FOCL and hope my friends will also

They say its good to talk

David :)

• 1 month later...

R.I.P. David.

Who could guess that a simple question posted on a message board would start a friendship between people who had never met before and that would continue long after the cruise was over.

A special cruise made even more memorable by special people.

You will not be forgotten David.

I have been reading this thread through and although I didn't meet David, he seems a great Guy. So sad that he has died, was it sudden?

It was in a way, he had been ill since the spring, but seemed to have got over/battled through the worse, and think we were all pleased the way it was going, but alas, one more operation was needed, an operation too far!

On a lighter note, see we are booked on the same cruise in February, so hopefully may meet up at some point

Steve

On a lighter note, see we are booked on the same cruise in February, so hopefully may meet up at some point

Steve

Hi Steve,

Yes, we are really looking forward to it (not the flight though:eek:) We went on Sea Princess in January and thought we would not get there because of the snow, but we did get there, albeit a bit late, and loved the Caribbean and thought we would like to see Cuba, so tried our Fred in July and loved it, so booked it. Must be popular as couldn't get a balcony even back in August.

Are you flying from Gatwick?

Hi Steve,

Yes, we are really looking forward to it (not the flight though:eek:) We went on Sea Princess in January and thought we would not get there because of the snow, but we did get there, albeit a bit late, and loved the Caribbean and thought we would like to see Cuba, so tried our Fred in July and loved it, so booked it. Must be popular as couldn't get a balcony even back in August.

Are you flying from Gatwick?

We could not get a balcony, either, and we booked it about the same time

We have done the Caribbean twice and yes Cuba was the one place that swung it for us, as we had never been there before

Yes we are flying from Gatwick, so may meet up with you at Gatwick, if you want a coffee!

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Yes its me Sheila.

Have just phoned Virgin Cruises to ask about cancelling our cruise booked for 15th May. Paid £770 deposit. Have just been told I will not get the deposit back. How can these people do this. I have given them plenty of notice. Unfortunatly when we booked the cruise last year David didnt have a crystal ball to say he was going to die. Sorry but am so so cross :mad:

Yes its me Sheila.

Have just phoned Virgin Cruises to ask about cancelling our cruise booked for 15th May. Paid £770 deposit. Have just been told I will not get the deposit back. How can these people do this. I have given them plenty of notice. Unfortunatly when we booked the cruise last year David didnt have a crystal ball to say he was going to die. Sorry but am so so cross :mad:

Hi Sheila, So sorry about your sad loss. We lost our younger daughter last year. We had booked a cruise to celebrate our Ruby wedding and had to cancel it one week before. They would not transfer our booking to a later holiday, so they sent us a form to fill in and send to our insurers - Lloyds. We were worried, as she was alcoholic, and we thought they would say it was a pre-existing condition, but after a couple of phone calls to confirm that she did not have liver and kidney failure when we had booked it a year before, we were sent a cheque for the full amount, minus a small admin. fee.

Will you be able to claim the deposit back from your insurers? Failing that, would you consider finding someone to go with you rather than losing the money? I know it wouldn't be the same, but we felt we needed a holiday a bit later and went on the IOTS, which despite the bad weather was a nice break - just lovely to get away for a few days.:)

Yes its me Sheila.

Hello Sheila, it is Steve

Contact the insurers as that is what insurance covers.

I would also have thought with another 4 to 5 months to go then they would also consider transferring your deposit to another cruise if you wanted to do that

Please let me know how you get on,

Steve x

• 1 month later...
R.I.P. David.

Who could guess that a simple question posted on a message board would start a friendship between people who had never met before and that would continue long after the cruise was over.

A special cruise made even more memorable by special people.

You will not be forgotten David.

sorry about your sad loss shelia , not been on the forum for quite a while, will always remember him taking photo,s at st mataan with his hat on , pleased as punch.

steve check local store , you might find something

• 1 month later...

Its me again Sheila, David's wife. Have not been a regular mesanger on this site. It was always David who communicated with you all. I just want to say thankyou all for the lovely comments you made. We both loved our cruising so much and planned to do many more. For all of you out there, live life to the full and spend the time with your loved ones. I miss him so much he was a lovely kind person and I am proud to have had 40 wonderful years with him. Wish it could have been more.

My 80 year old neighbour asked me last week if I would go on a cruise with her in October. I slept on it before making a decision and first I said no I couldnt do it then again i thought why not. I will always have Davids memories with me. So am going on Arcadia on 29th October for 23 days. Hope I have done the right thing. So anyone who has been on this ship please give me some useful feedback. xx Sheila

Archived