What if you get sick or break a tooth?

Hellolost

Cruise ships do have a medical facility on board, equipped to handle minor emergencies and illnesses. If the emergency is difficult, they will medically evacuate you to the nearest US port for treatment. BTW, those evac's can cost upwards of $30,000 or more, so it's good to have insurance that will cover any evacuations.

As for teeth, there are no dentists or dental facilities on board, but if it's severe, they can find a local dentist in a port of call.

All of the larger mainline cruise ships have a doctor/nurse/clinic onboard. Don't know about the small ships like Cruise West; I seriously doubt. Generally there's not a dentist. You have to wait until you get to a port. Depending on the port, the dental care may leave a lot to be desired.

Roz

dentist no...but all ships do have a medical facility. Unfortunatly I found out the hard way that the facilities are quite good and the physicians are very responsive. I knocke myself out and cut my head opena few cruises ago...while it was a bit expensive it was very good for a ship board facility

I had one of my crowns fall out on my Carnival Inpiration cruise. In St. Thomas, I asked a couple of people where a dentist was. They pointed me in the direction of a dentist within walking distance. When I got there, he was gone but the lady there gave me some dental wax and the number of the dentist in the next port. I never hurt, so I figured the wax was good enough. Nevertheless, if you need a dentist, there will probably be one in port somewhere. The one in St Thomas had gotten a divorce and moved there to get away from everything. He had been there for 12 years at that point. (the receptionist was rather chatty that day;-)

dentist no...but all ships do have a medical facility. Unfortunatly I found out the hard way that the facilities are quite good and the physicians are very responsive. I knocke myself out and cut my head opena few cruises ago...while it was a bit expensive it was very good for a ship board facility

So how much do their services typically cost?

I am guessing one's insurance would cover it as an "Out of Network" service.

If the emergency is difficult, they will medically evacuate you to the nearest US port for treatment.
There are many reports of pax being taken from the ship to the nearest local hospital, not necessarily a US hospital. Some insurance plans provide evac coverage that will get you to the US, but sometimes they will require a Dr.'s statement that you are medically stable for evacuation. That may not happen right from the ship, so be sure you know what type of evacuation coverage you have.

So how much do their services typically cost?
It depends on what you need done. I know that the first time I visited the medical facilities onboard the ship, it was $175 just to be seen. The medical facilities do not take insurance but instead give you forms to fill out to file with your own insurance.

I am guessing one's insurance would cover it as an "Out of Network" service.
It depends on your insurance. In the above example, my health insurance did not cover me at all because it was outside the country - that's when I found out my company's health insurance only covered me within the US. Since then I get travel insurance, so that I know I'm covered outside the US (also my current employer's health plan does cover me out of the US).

It depends on what you need done. I know that the first time I visited the medical facilities onboard the ship, it was $175 just to be seen. The medical facilities do not take insurance but instead give you forms to fill out to file with your own insurance.

It depends on your insurance. In the above example, my health insurance did not cover me at all because it was outside the country - that's when I found out my company's health insurance only covered me within the US. Since then I get travel insurance, so that I know I'm covered outside the US (also my current employer's health plan does cover me out of the US).

Wow, $175 is pretty steep for just a consult. This is a major reason why the wife and I bring a well stocked first aide kit with us.

I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield and was told that I am covered outside of the US, but it is considered "Out of Network" so they only pay 70%, and it is only 70% of a "Reasonable cost" which means if I was overcharged I am out that additional charge.

I also purchase medexassist.com which covers my wife and I if we run into any health issues. It is a secondary provider so whatever my BCBS doesn't pay they tend to cover. I mainly got it for the medevac features, so if anything serious happens I should be covered. Medexassist also will guarantee payment to the foreign hospitals, and do all the health consultation, arrangements, and coordination via translators to ensure that there are no communication problems.

Do you have any recommendations on medical travel policies?

Archived