Cruise line for first time cruiser?

SUSIEK

We just posted a guide to assist first time cruisers in choosing one of the three mass-market cruise lines (Carnival, Norwegian, Royal). Based on the article, do you agree with our pros/cons of the cruise lines?

The article can be read by clicking here:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1582742/2009_massmarket_cruise_line_directory.html

Nice article. Fair to all of the cruise lines. Two things I would question is 1) why Holland America isn't considered mass market...in my mind they are and 2) why Carnival is considered cheaper. I've always been able to find better prices on NCL then Carnival for the same sailings.

CG

Nice article. Fair to all of the cruise lines. Two things I would question is 1) why Holland America isn't considered mass market...in my mind they are and 2) why Carnival is considered cheaper. I've always been able to find better prices on NCL then Carnival for the same sailings.

CG

Holland America appeals to a much older crowd, so it's not mass market in the same way Carnival, NCL and RCI are. Those three appeal to a broad range of age groups.

We just posted a guide to assist first time cruisers in choosing one of the three mass-market cruise lines (Carnival, Norwegian, Royal). Based on the article, do you agree with our pros/cons of the cruise lines?

The article can be read by clicking here:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1582742/2009_massmarket_cruise_line_directory.html

I'm not sure why you didn't include Princess Cruise Line in your guide?

DT

Holland America appeals to a much older crowd, so it's not mass market in the same way Carnival, NCL and RCI are. Those three appeal to a broad range of age groups.

The same can be said about Carnival appealing much more to the younger set. Should that remove it from the mass market classification? I think when talking about mass marketing, Princess, HAL, and Celebrity could also be in that category. Agreed, each has their own appeal, marketing strategies, and high and low points. JMHO! :)

DT

I might agree that Holland is slightly less mass market. I would have included Princess in the group though.

I did not really see a good reason to select any of these three other than the freestyle with NCL, which really should be explained a bit more. Not only is fixed dining a unique concept for new cruisers, so is the lack of it.

As to reccomended NCL ships, if you were only going to list a few, I would have included the Jade and the Spirit, and not the NCLA ship.

Archived