Galapagos -What to bring and do

drfun48

If it is a virulent form of 'tourista' then perhaps measures to prevent that can be instigated.

I would be very interested in finding out if the number of people getting ill on each trip is increasing as the weeks go by, especially since Eliot indicated no one on his trip became sick, yet Kami's trip had quite a few, and my trip seemed to have even more of a percentage getting sick.

We just returned from Expedition over Thanksgiving. The four of us in our party thought it was the best vacation ever. We loved it!! The naturalists were great, the ship was lovely, the staff was attentive, the "activities" were wonderful. Our only complaint was that there were two small children on the ship and they were quite disruptive. We think there should be a minimum age for children on this trip....we recommend 12. There were three teen-age boys on board and they were fine and seemed to be having a great time.

The ship was packed...94 passengers, which seemed to put some stress on the crew, particularly the kitchen crew. But it certainly caused us no problem.

There were several people who were sick for a day or two. One of our group, a 33 year old woman who does not travel extensively was sick for a day.

I think those who are pointing the finger at Celebrity or expedition should stop and think. This is NOT a trip to a well developed tourist destination. We all develop immunities to germs we are used to. IMHO, the more parts of the world we visit, the more immunities we develop. BUT, you must carefully use good judgement. For Instance, I saw a few people in Quito eating Ice Cream dipped from a container. I saw people eating raw fruit, or having lime or lemon slices put into their mixed drinks (which contained ice by the way, which as I recall is made from WATER). And what about brushing your teeth? Do you use bottled water? And our hands....my, my nasty little germ collectors. Normal hygiene for hand washing should be vastly increased in remote locations. I recommend a purell treatment every couple of hours. Any cuts or scrapes should be immediately treated with a disinfectant and neosporin (or something of the sort). Remember, any cut or scrape that bleeds is a pathway for germs. In our own environments, we can shrug off small scrapes easily relying on our immune system. In a remote location we must be more vigilent, because the germs may be foreign to our systems.

AND, we all flew there on planes. You know that planes recirculate air. Long flights mean lots of recirculated air. So, if someone is ill on the plane, you may likely breath their germs. Now, once again, IMHO, on flights that originate from the US we are subject to recirculated air bearing little bugs we are used to. On foreign originating flights (i.e., Quito to Balthus) the recirculated air may contain germs or viruses totally foreign to our immune systems. What to do? Just accept this as a risk of travel and recognize that &*# happens. Use the purell.

FURTHER, I love snorkeling as did many others on this trip. The seas that we snorkeled in were abundant with marine life, sea lions, marine birds, turtles, etc. All of these creatures generate waste that impact the water we are snorkeling in. The person who first taught me to snorkel told me to never, never, never swallow sea water if I can avoid it. When you are snorkeling, some water is likely to get into your mouth during a major wave, or when you dive down. When that happens, surface, remove your snorkel and spit it out. Be diligent about this!!

Now, I know I sound like a germ freak, but I travel over 150,000 miles a year, including visits to many foreign countries, and knock on wood, am very seldom sick. The key is to remember that this is not the good ol' U.S.of A. with our clean water act, water treatment plants, and FDA oversite. You have to think. Even then, you have to recognize that occasionally !@#@@# is going to happen.

What? Every single person who has contacted this is:

a) not washing their hands enough

b) deliberately drinking the water, ice, uncooked food in Quito

c) drinking the waste while snorkeling

e) had duct tape over their mouth every time they showered

f) sprayed every surface with lysol spray upon entering their cabin

g) wore latex gloves when out of their properly sanitized cabin

d) should have cooked their own food in their cabin with their own blender, microwave, coffee maker from food they carried in their roll on cooler, using water they brought with them from the States because no one can trust Xpedition to be careful not to serve a raw vegetable unless it was bought on an organic farm in ...

all of the above

some of the above

Never should post their opinions in case ... .

There's the problem every messenger has.

Shame on me for suggesting that people who travel in third world environments should:

A. Recognize that "tourista" is likely to affect many individuals and

B. Take all reasonable precautions not to be the one impacted and

C. Shrug it off as luck of the draw when it does affect you.

I know it is no fun to be sick on vacation and I certainly feel sorry for those who were. Mahini, I know you felt really bad for about 36 hours and I certainly sympathize. As for how many in our group got sick....I really don't think it was rampant. I chatted extensively with about half of the people on board, and I know of only three who actually had "Montezuma's revenge".

I think that believing that Celebrity should launch some big investigation is typical of our current American belief that when something goes badly for us, obviously some one is guilty of some major malfeasance...we have no personal responsibility and ...luck of the draw is totally unacceptable.

Wait! I know. We should blame terrorism!! Since non of the locals on the ship got sick (that we know about), obviously this was some plot directed at Americans abroad. Call in the CIA, convene a senate investigation and notify the TSA. We are clearly under attack!!

Lets get real. On Expedition type vacations more people are going to be sick than on a vacation cruise to Alaska. If you choose an exotic vacation, you must recognize that increased risk of gastro-intestinal maladies exists.

Mahini, I know you felt really bad for about 36 hours and I certainly sympathize. As for how many in our group got sick....I really don't think it was rampant. I chatted extensively with about half of the people on board, and I know of only three who actually had "Montezuma's revenge".

Birdmom, I specifically did not respond to your previous posting about how it must be someone's own fault if they become sick on a trip since they obviously did not follow adequate precautions for traveling in a third world country. The purpose of these boards is to allow a free exchange of opinions and personal experience. I respect your ability to present your personal experience. I would have hoped you would grant me the same respect. However, I do take exception to the fact that you are making representations about how long and how badly I was affected by this illness. I'm especially puzzled by the fact that you are claiming I only felt bad for about 36 hours, yet I don't recall discussing my illness with you in any great detail. Let me correct your so called "facts". My father and I each had a "touch" of diarrhea on the Tuesday on board the ship. Taking the cipro which my travel clinic had prescribed seemed to do the trick. Dad has not had any problems since that time. I, however, was up all night Thanksgiving night with diarrhea, and I again took cipro. There was no relief. I then resorted to immodium AD which stopped the diarrhea. By Friday afternoon, after having only had a cup of tea for breakfast and one slice of pizza for lunch, I was feeling better and opted to go snorkeling. Upon returning to the ship I began to vomit. Although I went down for the presentation by Phillipe, I felt too ill to go to the dining room for dinner, and ordered soup and cheese and crackers in the cabin (that was the night lobster was served for dinner and I missed out on it!). Upon waking Saturday morning, I had developed an extremely bad cough and congestion. I continue have the cough and congestion, and have been under a doctor's care since returning from the trip. I am now on my third dosage of antibiotics to try and clear up this infection. Can I point fingers and say it was this or that or Celebrity's fault? No, but what I can say is that I become ill while on the Xpedition.

You indicated that you spoke to half the people on the ship and only 3 had Montezuma's Revenge. Well, let's see, that should include me and Dad, so right there we have a count of two. The pediatric cardiologist and her friend (I'm being polite and not using personal names here for privacy) both told me at breakfast on Friday (when I was having my cup of tea), that they had both been sick since Tuesday, but were doing the excursions since they didn't want to miss out on anything. In discussions with the lady who was going on to Macchu Pichu with her husband, she told Dad and I that her husband had been sick for three days and had had to call the ship's doctor. The wife of the retired pathologist developed diarrhea the last day on board the ship, and she has since emailed me to say that both she and her husband suffered diarrhea and vomiting on the way home. At the final dinner in Quito, one of the people sharing my table stated he had been sick on Tuesday before ever snorkeling, in response to my comment about the doctor indicating it was caused by swimming in the lagoons with the various animals. These are just a few of the people I spoke to who indicated they had been ill.

Disneygal has posted regarding her recent trip, and she indicated that there were a number of people sick on her trip. She also indicated that Celebrity is now trying to determine what may be the cause.

The fact that I became sick doesn't change my high opinion of this ship and its crew. I would absolutely recommend that people take this trip. The level of luxury and service is phenomenal. My point in posting was to make sure people were prepared in the event they did become ill...after all, forewarned is forearmed.

First of all - I am a total hypochondriac to begin with - and there is absolutely nothing worse to me than throwing up. I have already bought a small canister of oxygen in case I feel ill in Quito. (only holds 75 puffs of air.) I guess my question is: does anyone think that another cruiseship may be better? I am fully paid but have the insurance to cancel.

Perhaps the newness of the ship - they havent gotten the hygiene down yet?

Shame on me for suggesting that people who travel in third world environments should:

A. Recognize that "tourista" is likely to affect many individuals and

B. Take all reasonable precautions not to be the one impacted and

C. Shrug it off as luck of the draw when it does affect you.

I know it is no fun to be sick on vacation and I certainly feel sorry for those who were. Mahini, I know you felt really bad for about 36 hours and I certainly sympathize. As for how many in our group got sick....I really don't think it was rampant. I chatted extensively with about half of the people on board, and I know of only three who actually had "Montezuma's revenge".

I think that believing that Celebrity should launch some big investigation is typical of our current American belief that when something goes badly for us, obviously some one is guilty of some major malfeasance...we have no personal responsibility and ...luck of the draw is totally unacceptable.

Wait! I know. We should blame terrorism!! Since non of the locals on the ship got sick (that we know about), obviously this was some plot directed at Americans abroad. Call in the CIA, convene a senate investigation and notify the TSA. We are clearly under attack!!

This is so offensive.

Lets get real. On Expedition type vacations more people are going to be sick than on a vacation cruise to Alaska. If you choose an exotic vacation, you must recognize that increased risk of gastro-intestinal maladies exists.

Of course we know this. Read my posts. I said that. So did others. We compared pharmceutical remedies to bring.

This is a discussion. I realize that you haven't read all of the posting on this board. My original posting, Xpedition, incredible!, can be found by clicking on my name. I think it was on November 10th. Since I returned on the 7th, I did wait 'til I was somewhat recovered from the plane ride. And I know I was very discrete in how I worded that first information, and gave, I thought, a balanced pros and cons report. If you follow the discussion, you will understand how this one topic has developed. Many more passengers than I have reported, keeping the information current. You would also note the precautions listed by me, and by others.

I don't understand the vehemence with which you attack. And sarcasm is an attack. So is minimizing the seriousness of the problem. Those of us who are asking Celebrity to investigate are genuinely interested in looking for the source or sources of a persistent 'tourista' type malady. This illness didn't "just interrupt our trip for 36 hours." It caused bloody vomiting, very violent convulsive vomiting where I came close to passing out, and very painful cramping, backache, headache, mild fever. Furthermore it has returned 3 times. The first relapse was in the hotel, 60 hours after the first episode of diarrhea. I had to fly out in that condition. And so did an 80 year old fellow passenger. We 'joked' about packing adult pampers on our next trip.

However, all this explicit description is only now being posted because I see that perhaps I was remiss in not describing it carefully. I didn't suggest that everyone would get sick. Several times I've posted that 80% did not get sick.

And I did:

-wash my hands . I used individually wrapped foil alcohol wipes after each bathroom visit, and before I ate. I used hand sanitizer wash in my cabin.

- not drink tap water in Quito. I didn't use tap water to brush my teeth.

- ask about the ship's water and salad supply BEFORE I used them. I was assured that everything served in the dining room was safe.

- not snorkel.

Note that I didn't get sick until late Thursday night. That is a long time after Quito. But:

-since no one knows what we had, no one knows the incubation period for this

-no one asked any history

-no one took any samples

-and I observed a few instances of incorrect handling of contagious patients and their belongings.

I am very pleased that you didn't get sick. That you had the same great hospitality We have all noted. And yes, this is a very special place which I hope many will experience.

Perhaps Celebrity can make it even safe for all those who haven't gone yet.

I applaud their courage in openly investigating on board. They are now taking action which will reassure all of us that Celebrity is a classy operation, willing to stand behind their product and improve it instead of trying to ignore a problem in the hope that people will tire of asking for answers.

In fact, I think all of us who have persisted in asking for this investigation are the ones who behaved responsibly. We might have gone to our doctors, received the proper treatments and never bothered to warn anyone about a potential problem. That way, we don't risk your type of attack.

First of all - I am a total hypochondriac to begin with - and there is absolutely nothing worse to me than throwing up. I have already bought a small canister of oxygen in case I feel ill in Quito. (only holds 75 puffs of air.) I guess my question is: does anyone think that another cruiseship may be better? I am fully paid but have the insurance to cancel.

Perhaps the newness of the ship - they havent gotten the hygiene down yet?

The oxygen will help if you are really adversely affected by the altitude. I was really scared of this before I got there, but I found that if I just remembered to take my time and breath more deeply, I didn't feel ill. No nausea, no headache. Quito is 9300 feet. That sounds high, but it isn't so high that one's body is terribly oxygen deprived.

I do not think you could find a better cruise ship or itinerary or program than Celebrity has put together. I saw the other cruise ships, and even priced a couple. Celebrity has the best product.

The gastrointestinal problem is scary. I do think that some measures will be found to cut down the spread of it. Once Celebrity discovers the cause(s), be it bacteria, virus or parasite, passengers will be informed about more specific precautions and treatments will be possible. It is ignorance right now that is so frustrating.

Read Baron, when are you booked?

One prophylactic measure I read about (actually was recommended for travel in Africa) is to take pepto bismal tablets staring 48 hours before entering the new country. Apparently this lines the digestive tract, thus preventing the bacteria from affecting the body. I used the pepto in Quito but felt so safe on the ship that I stopped using it.

Has anyone else used this?

Should you cancel? I can't answer that. If you are frail, have an inadequate immune system, ulcers, irritable bowel syndrome or some other debilitating illness, I would check with your doctor. However if you have traveled in foreign lands before, you likely know what your body can handle.

This is such a special type of cruise that I would encourage everyone to go. I am hopeful that Celebrity is getting on top of this now, and we'll soon hear of real answers, which will make the illness even less likely.

Kami's Pal,

I read you first post, thought it was great, and forwarded it on to several current and potential Galapagos cruisers. I agreed with your first post completely when we returned from the trip. Considered posting my own review by simply suggesting people read yours.

Sorry you don't think my sarcasm is funny, but I don't see it as offensive.

My only point here is that I think this "tourista" concern has been drastically overblown in this thread and is needlessly frightening future cruisers rather than offering helpful advice. Obviously you disagree. Viva la difference!!

Birdmom

even hearing someone talk to me has calmed me a bit.

Do you think that taking the pepto the whole time would have been a good preventative. Frankly, I will do anything at this point - I called a couple of other cruises, first of all - sold out for when we have the plane tickets (feb 13th sailing.) and 2nd, an awful value regardless (lindblad wants 3800 without 900 per person in airfare.)

I will definitely take along the pepto tablets (is liquid ok too?) did you have Cipro on you? Any bad side effects with that?

I have none of the ailments you've listed, but my husband has IBS. I just hope for once he listens to me regarding food, sanitary precautions. He is the type to stop at a sidewalk vendor and down a piece of raw fish.

How did you manage to shower without water getting into your mouth? Did the Marriot have a shower head that could be removed from the base? I know this question is totally bonkers - but would rather know now if I shouldnt shower for 2 days.

What about coffee? did you have any in the morning? was the water adequately boiled? how do you know? is the milk pasteurized? should I bring bottled water from home? This is just getting complicated!

Thanks for letting me rant!

By then you will havea lot of answers from the generous people on this board, and from Celebrity.

even hearing someone talk to me has calmed me a bit.

Rant away. That is what I did about the altitude. People calmed me too.

Do you think that taking the pepto the whole time would have been a good preventative.

I do think so. Wouldn't hurt. I wish that I had done that. My daughter did in Africa and she didn't get sick. I'm sure the liquid is the same as the tablets.

Frankly, I will do anything at this point - I called a couple of other cruises, first of all - sold out for when we have the plane tickets (feb 13th sailing.) and 2nd, an awful value regardless (lindblad wants 3800 without 900 per person in airfare.)

I will definitely take along the pepto tablets (is liquid ok too?) did you have Cipro on you? Any bad side effects with that?

My doctor advised against using the Cipro unless I saw blood, developed a cough,or it was prescribed by a doctor. I had it, still have it, but I have not taken it yet. I'm waiting for the results of a physical which is booked for Dec. 15. Generally, one should not take antibiotics unless one knows that they will be effective. Otherwise one risks developing antibiotic resistent strains of bacteria. We have too many bacteria resistent to our usual armament already.

I have none of the ailments you've listed, but my husband has IBS. I just hope for once he listens to me regarding food, sanitary precautions. He is the type to stop at a sidewalk vendor and down a piece of raw fish.

I hope he listens to you too! Shellfish and raw fish feed on waste in the water. This defintely a source of gastrointestinal problems. As for IBS, his doctor has to refer him to travel specialists.

How did you manage to shower without water getting into your mouth? Did the Marriot have a shower head that could be removed from the base? I know this question is totally bonkers - but would rather know now if I shouldnt shower for 2 days.

I didn't shower. I took baths, washing my face with Oxy pads I brought from home. I knelt in the tub to wash my hair, and covered my lips with polysporin. I don't think I got any of the tap water in Quito.[/color

What about coffee? did you have any in the morning? was the water adequately boiled? how do you know? is the milk pasteurized? should I bring bottled water from home? This is just getting complicated!

Bottled water is provided in the room and in the tour buses. I did drink coffee and tea. I assumed that the water would have reached boiling before brewing tea and coffee. However, hopefully that is one of the possibilities Celebrity is investigating. I don't drink milk, (lactose intolerance) but I did eat yoghurt. Cheese was reported to be very good. I think I would ask about the milk, but expect that it is pasturized.

Thanks for letting me rant!

I will be on the March trip.

Back in my climbing days with the American Alpine Institute, we were warned to carry the Pepto Bismo for climbs in Mexico and Peru, and Ecuador. We were warned that other therapy like Immodium would not be effective. This was around 11 years ago.

People who are on the medication Coumadin, should have a talk with their doctor before using Pepto Bismo.

The sickest I have been yet was in Alaska on the Summit this Summer. I attributed it to the noro-virius.

John

Very interesting your choice of bathing method. I think I just wont wash my hair for 2 days! Is that stuff on your mouth similar to neosporin? would you recommend bringing american bottled water?

I appreciate you total honesty on these boards and dont find this to be a laughing matter. Cruises are known for getting NoroVirus but if it isnt that then Celebrity needs to get to the bottom of this, becuase I for one am a nervous wreck!

an antibiotic ointment that looks like clear Vaseline or petroleum jelly. Ingredients list: PolymyxinB (as sulfate), Bacitracin zinc and gramicidin and vitamin E. I think Neosporin is likely a similar product. Polysporin is sold here as a mild antiseptic ointment for cuts and abrasions. I used it thickly to remind myself not to lick my lips while washing my hair. Could probably have done the same thing in the shower, but I tend to breathe through my mouth in the shower. So by changing the way I bathed and washed my hair, I didn't go on automatic and forget. I also moved away from the sink to brush my teeth so that I didn't absent mindedly rinse my brush under the tap.

I trusted that the bottled water was treated in some way, likely by pasteurization. I don't know how to bring 10 days supply of bottled water.

Beyond normal precautions one does have to trust the providers, or one could never travel. That's why I chose a reputable known line rather than try for a cheaper local ship. I do trust that Celebrity would not be purchasing an untreated water. And I did assume that any food on the ship was safe. I know they used local suppliers, so if salad was served I assumed that it had been washed correctly. After all, I buy lettuce in January. It has to be shipped from Mexico or California. I wash it, of course, but that's more to freshen it, get any dust off etc. On Xpedition, I expected that it would be washed in a disinfectant (mild fluorine?) solution.

These are questions that I now expect Celebrity is investigating.

I assume they are looking at kitchen procedures, staff health, water supply, normal cabin cleaning, and sanitation, disinfectant procedures after a passenger leaves. We know that some people were ill and did not ask for the doctor so didn't report being ill. I've been ill on ships and not reported to the medical clinic. I've never disinfected my cabin with Lysol as some people report that they do. I trust the cruise lines to train the cabin stewards and cleaners to disinfect a cabin after every voyage. If they didn't, there would be many reports of epidemics.

I'm prepared to wait now and let Celebrity do their investigation.

TheReadBaron, there might be a little splash on the zodiac ride. Most folks had a small backpack or waistpack. I carried a waistpack with a waterbottle holder and that worked well. They always advised to carry a light rain jacket, so that might go into the backpack if you bring one. For the wet landings, I just wore water sandals, which was fine. So I didn't need a towel or change of footwear.

Marla

One prophylactic measure I read about (actually was recommended for travel in Africa) is to take pepto bismal tablets staring 48 hours before entering the new country. Apparently this lines the digestive tract' date=' thus preventing the bacteria from affecting the body. I used the pepto in Quito but felt so safe on the ship that I stopped using it.

Has anyone else used this?

[/color']

Here if the scoop on PeptoBismol from a Travel Web site (http://secure.medicalweb.com/help/travelersd.html):

Bismuth Subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismal): take two tablets (252mg) or 30ml of the liquid, four times a day to prevent diarrhea. It cannot be taken by people already taking aspirin. It may cause a black tongue and ringing in the ears.

Suggest you check with your local Travel Clinic or health dept to get a recommendation that fits your health status.

Sheila

I have been reading the various posts with great interest and care as we have the 1/16/05 sailing booked.

Several of you have mentioned being in touch with a special Celebrity Accts. Executive or Xpedition representative and I am curious what you are being told about the GI illness reports some have told about here.

Yesterday, since I had my concerns, I called Xpeditions and was told that the "Office of Risk Management" at RCCL was handling this matter. That seemed like a large corporate jump but I called the number I was given. I was put into the voicemail of someone named Lorraine. Is that someone any of you have talked to? If not, who is the right person?

What is the explanation and update of the illness reports? Did it affect 1 sailing only (kami's pal) or were there others? What steps are being taken? Is this something the CDC tracks since no part of the cruise ever touches U.S. shores?

Now on to the passengers. Did the affected guests perchance arrange something on their own in Quito pre-cruise outside of Celebrity? Someone at some point speculated about passengers contracting something in Quito and coming onboard ill. Today I read a review of a Dec. passenger, just returned, who reports having "Gallapagos Gallup" symptoms by the time she left Quito and even boarded.

Has the origin been tracked to a pre-Xpedition experience? We do not want to be overly concerned but at the same time will take additional precautions. Thanks for the many suggestions.

Where do things stand information - wise?

Did it affect 1 sailing only (kami's pal) or were there others?

Now on to the passengers. Did the affected guests perchance arrange something on their own in Quito pre-cruise outside of Celebrity?

If you have been reading the boards, you will note that this problem has affected sailings other than the one Kami's Pal was on. If you read my earlier posts on this thread, you will see when and how I was affected on the November 19-29 trip.

I did not arrange anything on my own in Quito, either pre or post cruise.

I have been reading the various posts with great interest and care as we have the 1/16/05 sailing booked.

Several of you have mentioned being in touch with a special Celebrity Accts. Executive or Xpedition representative and I am curious what you are being told about the GI illness reports some have told about here.

Yesterday' date=' since I had my concerns, I called Xpeditions and was told that the "Office of Risk Management" at RCCL was handling this matter. That seemed like a large corporate jump but I called the number I was given. I was put into the voicemail of someone named Lorraine. Is that someone any of you have talked to? If not, who is the right person?

What is the explanation and update of the illness reports? Did it affect 1 sailing only (kami's pal) or were there others? What steps are being taken? Is this something the CDC tracks since no part of the cruise ever touches U.S. shores?

Now on to the passengers. Did the affected guests perchance arrange something on their own in Quito pre-cruise outside of Celebrity? Someone at some point speculated about passengers contracting something in Quito and coming onboard ill. Today I read a review of a Dec. passenger, just returned, who reports having "Gallapagos Gallup" symptoms by the time she left Quito and even boarded.

Has the origin been tracked to a pre-Xpedition experience? We do not want to be overly concerned but at the same time will take additional precautions. Thanks for the many suggestions.

Where do things stand information - wise?[/quote']

No, I didn't talk to Lorraine. I emailed DWertanzl@celebritycruises.com. He replied with usual 'probably third world pathogens and first world immune system incompatible ' but gave me another contact, and eventually I heard from Faye Miles cfeedcci@celebritycruises.com who answered that Celebrity is now instigating a more comprehensive awareness campaign with some compensation to those get ill aboard a Celebrity ship AND report that to the medical authorities. I am satisfied now that all that is possible is being done. We may never know the origin of 'Galapagos Gallop' but I do know that people on the cruise before mine (Oct 31 - Nov. 6) and people after me on Nov 7, 14, 21, 28 and now Dec 5 sailings all reported getting this GI infection. Others also had an upper respiratory infection. Some had both. Some had a minor 24 hour problem and some, like me, had relapses up to 2 weeks after they came home. I am now being tested for parasites. However, my doctor really thinks I had a 'tourista' infection. Since I was very careful about hand washing and water consumption, I think the problem is likely that we passengers initially brought something aboard, and kept passing it along. There are so many possibilities: on remote controls, the "Galapagos Grip" (assist from guides when boarding the zodiac), using the serving utensils in the buffet, hand rails, door knobs etc. These new protocols are likely going to be resented by some, but I think if we try to cooperate with them, Xpedition should become as safe as all the other cruises I've enjoyed.

Do read Judy's review. She, (and Ingrid and Sandy) just posted for Dec 5 sailing, and I think have put it in perspective.

Thank you for bringing the discussion back to a focus. It had seemed that there were a few voyages reportedly affected but I got lost in some of the later chatter and couldn't get a clear picture.

We've been taking a little packet of antibacterial Wet Ones wipes along even on our main cruises just to swipe down the TV remote, phone, lightswitches, etc. Will definitely be tucking those in.

Just an update for those still trying to get an answer from Celebrity (via RCCL) on illness reported aboard Xpedition. It's now the 5th day and no response at all from 2 voicemails left this week left at RCCL.

Very excited about our Jan. 16th trip but not very impressed with the customer service on this issue. There must be sick pax from previous cruises trying to get some official word as well as potential or booked cruisers and ignoring phone calls doesn't seem to be the way to handle your customers. If anyone has had a response, please post.

Barb,

It is frustrating trying to talk to a real person. I don't even know if their call center is in the United States! Maybe instead, try calling Quito long distance information and try with an overseas operator, to contact Celebrity staff in Quito.

The information being posted now about Dec 5 sailing seems to indicate that "more cleaning" etc was being done. If that is apparent up front, I'd guess that behind the scenes much more care is being taken that staff aren't inadvertently spreading this because they don't understand just how vulnerable we are to pathogens they can't even see.

Email me and I'll give you my phone number if that will help.

Archived