Help me pick my formal night dresses

Please vote for your favorite 2 dresses. See attatched photos below.  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Please vote for your favorite 2 dresses. See attatched photos below.

• Black Dress
    • Dark Red Halter Dress
    • Purple Flowered Halter Dress
    • Gold Dress w/ Black Dots
    • Buy the Red Dress

Please see my linked images and then vote in the poll!!! I'm cruising Carnival (see tag at bottom). I will take 2 dresses. For reference I have blond hair, blue eyes, medium skin tone and am 5'2" with an average build.

Sorry the pics aren't of the dresses on me, but I didn't have anyone to take the shots and no good mirror.

The second one is a darker red than in the photo. The bling on the black one is removable.

The final one is a dress that I would like to buy, but that I don't really need. It would cost $37 and I was thinking I could wear it for my college graduation as well (a year away!!!). It is one of my school colors so I felt it was appropriate, but is it too dressy for graduation???

JUST FYI: I bought the black dress for $12 and the gold dotted one for 5$ from my local Name Brand Clothing 1/2 of 1/2 store. If you have one near you it is a great place to look for dresses. They are new with tags on, but some have been damaged. For example the black had a strap pulling free and I had to fix where the fabric was sewn to the zipper in one spot. The gold one was in perfect condition.

DSC05412.jpg.1feed34e2d856dfc94a12648ab4b925e.jpg

DSC05414.jpg.0b52ef1a8bb4a59ec2fb2c753b25dd49.jpg

DSC05419.jpg.be77d27d32de54610f6448e46eff39b0.jpg

DSC05417.jpg.fcc934d369968de98e8a36e3af85e3f7.jpg

IMG_1152E.jpg.21fb58622544526a655c72ea48fc5f6b.jpg

I like the last dress. It has a classic look to it. I like the gold/polka dot dress as well. It is different and you will not look like everyone else.

All of the dresses are beautiful and you will look lovely no matter which you choose.

Thanks! I hadn't thought about how many lbds there will be, but it fits really well so maybe i can throw a cute wrap with it to make it stand out more. I like the gold, but my only concern was gold with my blond hair and skin tone. I couldn't tell how close they were until I got it home since the mirrors in the store have this weird pink ting to them. I already avoid anything in the beige family since it just washes me out completely. Of course I'll be using some fake tanner so maybe that'll help???

The thing about the red dress...I want it...mom says I should shop out of my closet instead. As you can see I have no shortage of dresses.

For reference I have blond hair, blue eyes, medium skin tone
I like the gold, but my only concern was gold with my blond hair and skin tone. I couldn't tell how close they were until I got it home since the mirrors in the store have this weird pink ting to them. I already avoid anything in the beige family since it just washes me out completely. Of course I'll be using some fake tanner so maybe that'll help???

Not voting on the dresses yet, because it already sounds like your not 100% sure on your own best colors yet!

You have blond hair and blue eyes, and I'm going to guess that the blond hair is natural? (Unless you actually have brown hair and you color it blond)...

So this info will be according to if you are blond naturally...

With blond hair and blue eyes, you are either a Spring or a Summer.

Spring people look best in warm and bright colors.

Summer people look best in cool and muted colors.

A bright warm gold is definitely a Spring color.

A muted cool beige is definitely a Summer color.

With your makeup, if you are a Spring, you are going to look better in peachy, warm, coral-y colors.

If you are a Summer, you are going to look better in pinky, cool, rose-y colors.

If true beige truly washes you out, then you are not a Summer and you are a Spring. So anything bright and warm should make your skin look great - regardless of how tan or pale you are.

Tanners don't make a difference how good you look, if the colors are your correct colors!

Read that and see if it makes sense...

If you really are a Spring and look great in the Gold, then I'm going to also vote for the new Bright Red Dress.

If you really are a Summer, then I'm voting the the Black and the second Darker Red Dress.

If you can figure out your coloring, then it will help you shop for the best dress colors in the future.

I hope this is helpful to you!

The flowered dress and polka-dots are NOT formal! They're nice, but not for a formal evening!

I thought they renamed it to "elegant night" instead of "formal". I've read that some women will choose to wear dressy pant suits as well as church dresses. So, given that, I think she should be fine in any of these dresses.

The flowered dress and polka-dots are NOT formal! They're nice, but not for a formal evening!

The purple one was in my closet so i threw it in the mix. Actually I'm thinking I'll probably take the dark red one or the gold one for another night just 'cause I like them, but we'll see.

Today i ran into this dress. I've spent lots of time in dress stores lately since I'm a bridesmaid in 2 weddings. The dress was super cheap and a very timeless look (at least i think so), so I bought it. It's definitely formal! ...please ignore the messy dorm room...

Oh and addressing another post...I definitely do NOT look good in beige, so I would be a Spring. I think it's just that gold is a color I've never worn before, so I'm not used to seeing myself in it.

1389967560_DSC05462-Copy.jpg.9552a5351224eccc295c9382164481f2.jpg

I thought they renamed it to "elegant night" instead of "formal". I've read that some women will choose to wear dressy pant suits as well as church dresses. So, given that, I think she should be fine in any of these dresses.

Thanks. As far as I can gather, it's a mix of everything and that's fine. I think there are still a few lines that are dressier though. I wouldn't complain to be on one though. I love dressing up!

The dress that you recently posted is very nice. You have a darling figure and should great no matter what you end up taking.

After having seen a picture of you, I think you'd look amazing in the bright red dress, and the grey long dress would be lovely as well.

I like the gold polka dot because it's cute and out of the norm.

All of the dresses you've selected are perfect for Carnival's elegant evening dress codes. But please take to heart Curt's advice about finding the colors that are absolutely gorgeous on you (he is an expert on this, seriously)! You and another girl could be wearing the same exact thing, color and all, and if the shade/color is the "right" one for one of you, that's the person who will stand out (in a very good way) and even kind of glow!

So think about the colors that everyone just raves about when you wear them. That's always a good clue.

All of the dresses you've selected are perfect for Carnival's elegant evening dress codes. But please take to heart Curt's advice about finding the colors that are absolutely gorgeous on you (he is an expert on this, seriously)! You and another girl could be wearing the same exact thing, color and all, and if the shade/color is the "right" one for one of you, that's the person who will stand out (in a very good way) and even kind of glow!

So think about the colors that everyone just raves about when you wear them. That's always a good clue.

I will definitely keep that in mind! I'm trying to start really considering what I buy instead of just getting something on a whim...i can be bad about that sometimes.

My pick of the dresses would be the black and red. The red dress that you haven't bought looks incredible but save your money with the ones you already have and maybe purchase some bling to go with one of your dresses that you pick of your own. Bling is always good!:)

Have fun dressing up!

Do you mind me asking where you found the last dress? The red one? Was it online or in a store? It's really cute and just what I'm looking for for my first cruise in June, I'm having a hard time finding any like that that are affordable. Thanks

I like all of them, except the printed one. It's a little "muddly" with a large print and washy colors. On a person of 5'2" it probably won't be as flattering as the other three.

Personally, I like the red ones best, but you can't go wrong with an lbd dressed up with some unique accessories. If you can think of more places to wear #4, I say go for it. :)

Do you mind me asking where you found the last dress? The red one? Was it online or in a store? It's really cute and just what I'm looking for for my first cruise in June, I'm having a hard time finding any like that that are affordable. Thanks

It is a Windsor store dress that dressespayless98 sells on ebay in a few different sizes.

i like the red one for you.

curt is right, color is everything.

i am not crazy about the last one that you just bought. if you do not have to wear floor length i wouldn't.

with your height it is more becoming to wear something cocktail length.

I think what i may do is sew my own version of the red one for graduation (later on)...I'm just not a huge fan of the pleats and I have lots of help from more experienced sewers. The long one looks a little "off" in the photo imo. That's probably because it hasn't been altered to fit. The straps are too long, the top part is too big around, and of course it's too long. As far as long vs. short. I can't help my height and I won't let that keep me from wearing a long dress.

Hi Caity,

I voted for the first and last (black and red) dresses. The purple and gold ones are pretty but aren't as formal. It is hard to tell what the magenta one is made out of which would certainly influence how dressy it is.

I do think the red dress is a bit much for a college graduation (congrats on one more year!) unless it is held after 6 or 7 in the evening. It is beautiful, but not a daytime dress IMHO.

It sounds like you've already made some decisions, but I couldn't resist throwing my 2 cents in just in case. Have fun!

Archived