Canceling due to sick family or death in the family??

fightingokra

I am so sorry to hear about your families situation. As someone who lost their mother unexpectedly just 4 weeks ago and 2 weeks of getting back from our cruise, our thoughts and prayers are with your family.

Since your cruise is still 20 something days away and you are already in the penalty phase. I would not cancel right now. Just wait a few days and see if he improves.

As you stated in a situation like this, money/vacation are not important. I know it would be frustrating to loose half your money but looking at the big picture it really does not matter.

And as someone else pointed out. He knows he should have bought insurance so stop, beating him with it!

Sadly, when I asked a similar question 1 year ago, people jumped at me and said "should have bought the insurance, don't you feel bad now" type answers. People on cruise critic are some of the snobbiest, rudest people I have ever meant.

But were they wrong?

If you felt they are snobbiest and rudest,what would you call someone who needed insurance and did not purchase it?

OP, sorry to hear of your situation, but it might be better to lose half than all.

But were they wrong?

If you felt they are snobbiest and rudest,what would you call someone who needed insurance and did not purchase it?

OP, sorry to hear of your situation, but it might be better to lose half than all.

No, I didn't say they were wrong. There is just a difference between telling someone "I'm sorry for your loss, please remember insurance next time" and "You should have thought of that, so serves you right, you don't deserve anything, and I am so sick of hearing people ask about this, it's what you get stupid, etc".

I would call that person "unfortunate". However, they will live and learn and be prepared for the next cruise. Snobby and rude people seem to be eternal. What exactly was the point you were trying to make with your post? You certainly made my point...

I have all my full travel insurance through my Master card.

I pay $69 a year for it. As long as I book the trip with my mastercard..its covered.

we travel alot , We were use to paying $200 per trip for insurance each trip..a couple times a year. This way we are covered for unlimited trips up to 91 days in length each trip. $69 for a year is worth the expense!

Do you mind sharing what kind of Mastercard you have where you can buy travel insurance for $69/yr?

Jane

I hope the best for your wife’s father and the rest of the family. It is very important to be with him right now, way more important than a cruise. Sadly, when I asked a similar question 1 year ago, people jumped at me and said "should have bought the insurance, don't you feel bad now" type answers. People on cruise critic are some of the snobbiest, rudest people I have ever meant.

My BIL past away 3 weeks prior to our cruise. When I canceled we got 50% back and the Carnival Rep gave me an address for me to write a letter to. She said put in the letter why you had to cancel last minute. She said sometimes, depending if that particular ship sailed full capacity, you may get credit for the money you lost (but it’s not guaranteed).

Here is that address:

Carnival Cruise Lines

Research MSRV25oS

3655 NW 87 Ave

Miami, FL 31179-2426

I did write the letter and Carnival was gracious enough to credit me for the other 50%. Because of their kindness, I will always be loyal to Carnival.

So my two cents is to go ahead and cancel. Even if your FIL pulls through, do you think your wife will still be in the mood to go on vacation? I wouldn’t be…

Was it really necessary that you had to air your grips about CC in this of all threads? Is this going to help the OP with his problem, not likely? :(

Do you mind sharing what kind of Mastercard you have where you can buy travel insurance for $69/yr?

Jane

I am in Canada. It is through my BMO master card. But I have the option of purchasing for my mastercards, or visa ...through any branch. I was purchasing it per trip from my travel agent until I was talking with my banking agent. At first I wasn't listening when I spoke with her. she said $69 and I was like "what why would I pay $69 for my credit card per year that I rarely use.....Then she explained. The travel insurance coverage is for 365 days....trips must be 61 days in length or shorter to be covered fully. You can travel as much or as often as you wish. It saved us alot of money. your trip must be booked with your credit card to qualify

This is what my insurance covers on my credit card.

• Collision Damage Waiver Insurance
  • Common Carrier Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance2
  • Unexpected Return Home
  • Trip Assistance
    • Trip Cancellation Insurance (up to a maximum of $5,000)
    • Baggage and Personal Effects Insurance
    • Trip Interruption/Trip Delay Insurance
    • Flight Delay Insurance

Emergency Medical/Dental Expense - Provides benefits for covered expenses incurred during your trip for the cost of care and supplies needed by a licensed doctor, hospital or dentist if you experience a medical or dental sudden and unforeseen emergency while travelling. This includes x-rays and lab tests; required private duty nursing if necessary; prescription drugs; medical appliances; ambulance services and many other important costs.

Emergency Transportation - Refers to the air and/or ground transportation services required as a result of an injury or illness while you are travelling. If necessary, World Access can arrange to move you to a more appropriate facility or back home after you have been stabilized. World Access will pay the expenses up to the maximum level of coverage shown in your policy.

Lost, Stolen or Delayed Baggage - If your checked baggage is delayed or misdirected by a Common Carrier, you can receive reimbursement for the purchase of essential items. If your bags never show up, you can be reimbursed for the lost items. Certain items are not covered and there are limits on the maximum levels of coverage you can receive. For additional information please refer to the certificate on the BMO Travel Insurance quote page .

Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption - Trip Cancellation provides reimbursement of covered, nonrefundable trip payments or deposits if your trip is cancelled prior to departure for one of the covered reasons. Please refer to the certificate on the BMO Travel Insurance quote page for a complete list.

Trip Interruption provides reimbursement for covered expenses resulting from a trip interruption, which occurs after departure. Covered expenses include transportation and lodging. If your ability to travel is affected by one of the events listed below, and you meet eligibility requirements (refer to the certificate on the BMO Travel Insurance quote page for eligibility requirements) you will be reimbursed.

Events include:

• Unforeseen accidents, injuries or death
  • Fire or flood in your home
  • Quarantine
  • Pregnancy and adoption
  • Government advisories
  • Job loss

Legal Assistance Services

If while travelling you require legal assistance, you can obtain a referral to a local legal advisor, assistance with arrangements for the posting of bail and the payment of legal fees, to a maximum of $5,000

For $99 it also included Medical insurance. I have global medical through work so I don't need it....this is what the Medical covers.Travel Medical

This out-of-province emergency medical insurance covers such services arising from a medical emergency as:

Emergency Hospital, Ambulance & Medical Expenses

The costs incurred for hospital room and board charges, up to semi-private or the equivalent, are covered under this Plan. Other covered expenses include treatment by a physician, diagnostic tests, the cost of licensed ambulance service, Emergency Room charges, and prescribed drugs and medication. The cost for rental or purchase of minor medical appliances, such as wheelchairs and crutches, is also covered.

Private Duty Nursing Expenses

If medically necessary and while hospitalized, up to $5,000 is available for the professional services of a registered nurse.

Emergency Air Transportation or Evacuation

Depending on the situation, an insured person may be covered for the costs of an air ambulance or transport on an airline for an emergency return to the province or territory of their residence. The expense charged by an accompanying medical attendant on the flight back to Canada, may also be covered.

Other Professional Services

The professional services of a physiotherapist, chiropractor, osteopath, chiropodist or podiatrist are covered within limitations.

Emergency Dental Expenses

If an insured person suffers an injury to the mouth and is treated during their trip, the repair or replacement of natural teeth or permanently attached artificial teeth is covered to a maximum of $2,000.

Transportation to the Bedside

If an insured person is travelling alone when a medical emergency occurs, an immediate family member can be covered for one round-trip economy airfare, plus lodging and meals up to a maximum of $250 to be with the insured in the hospital.

Return of Deceased

In the event of the death of an insured person while on a trip, this insurance covers up to $3,000 for the preparation and transportation of the deceased’s

remains to his/her province or territory of residence.

Additional Hotel and Meal Expenses

If the return to Canada is delayed due to a medical emergency, an insured person is covered for the cost of hotel and meal expenses incurred after the planned return date, up to a maximum of $2,000.

He admitted that he knew he made a mistake by not buying insurance....I don't think it's necessary to keep hitting him over the head with it. As far as the chance being zip to none that he'll get the money back, obviously that isn't 100% true because several people have posted thus far saying that Carnival was very kind to them so he DOES have some chance.

To the OP - talk to your wife first and then talk to Carnival and see what they say. It cannot hurt to ask (at the worst they will say there is nothing they can do).

Certainly not hitting anyone over the head. He asked what others think and what experience they've had......

Carnival will work with you when they can. My advice is to not wait but cancel while there is some guarantee that some money can be recovered.

Jane

That sure covers a lot. But I wonder about medical evacuation at sea or a port. I will have to do some checking. That sure could save a lot of money if all is equal.

I agree with a previous poster, wait & see how things go with your FIL. It doesn't sound like there's any further penalties to incur by waiting it out. Carnival might be more apt to help you out closer to the cruise date since then you will have a more up to the minute update on his condition.

My gut feeling is that Carnival will try to do what they can since they don't want to get a rep as being insensitive to these things. You also sound like you would approach them in an appropriate manner.

Let us know how things turn out. We'll be thinking of you & your family.

That sure covers a lot. But I wonder about medical evacuation at sea or a port. I will have to do some checking. That sure could save a lot of money if all is equal.

type in bmo mastercard in g**gle and it will bring up my banks website....and you can see the whole package it covers in the insurance section....I just copied and pasted most of it...click on for BMO Mosiac mastercard holders...that is the annual coverage not the per trip coverege. We were advised it was at sea is needed.

Believe me it was compared to other insurance policies that we could have purchased through our travel agent. My husband MADE me check and call back 25 million times with questions just to be sure!

It saves alot of money! The previous year we paid $290 in insurance for our Disney trip alone!

I am in Canada. It is through my BMO master card. But I have the option of purchasing for my mastercards, or visa ...through any branch. I was purchasing it per trip from my travel agent until I was talking with my banking agent. At first I wasn't listening when I spoke with her. she said $69 and I was like "what why would I pay $69 for my credit card per year that I rarely use.....

That is such a good deal.....I wish my bank cards offered that...think I'll check on it right now!

Jane

We have had 2 deaths in the last 14 months to cancer, my 29 year old daughter (ovarion cancer) and my wife's 43 year old brother (began with lung cancer-smoker) just 2 weeks ago.

OMG, so young, how terrible. My condolences to all of you with Cancer in your family. My DH passed away with it a few weeks ago after fighting it for 2 years.

People don't intend to get sick or die but that it what the insurance is for. Last year we has booked the Spirit out of California and were very excited about it. But my uncle who is like my dad to me had esophegeal cancer. I saw him in August and knew I should change it to something closer. So we changed it to the Legend out of Tampa a 6 hour drive. Deep down I probably should have cx my cruise and rebooked after he died but working as a nurse I need a break and crusing is my outlet. He sounded good for the most part. We got to Tampa Saturday and between Wed-Saturday there had been a big change. I knew being the nurse that he would loose the battle while we are gone. But I knew he would like us to go ahead with the cruise. He did die while we were on the cruise on a sea day. The funeral would be Saturday we did not get back to FL till Sunday. I did check prices even with the insurance to get us back to FL and it was almost $1000 per person. If I know someone is sick and in my uncles case was dying. I should have just moved the cruiser until later.

Lexi

I am in Canada. It is through my BMO master card. But I have the option of purchasing for my mastercards, or visa ...through any branch. I was purchasing it per trip from my travel agent until I was talking with my banking agent. At first I wasn't listening when I spoke with her. she said $69 and I was like "what why would I pay $69 for my credit card per year that I rarely use.....

That is such a good deal.....I wish my bank cards offered that...think I'll check on it right now!

Jane

I had no idea about it.

When I went to Cuba (Nov/07) with a group of girls I bought my personal travel insurance through my local back. It was like $36 for just myself. Which was great compard to the $115 through my TA.

When we were going to Disney I called the bank and they explained it was not something they offered anymore. About a week after I called the bank. I received a friendly telemarketing call from the bank about travel insurance. I didn't listen to the person on the phone and just asked how much. She said $99 . I thought forget that why would I pay $99 for my credit card that I don't use except to book trips...lol

So that week we purchased the insurance through Disney. Our trip Disney & Disney cruise cost us over $300 for insurance trips combined. Which I used my Mastercard to book them with any ways.

And that was what I get for not listening. I paid way too much.

Then a few months later I was doing my on-line banking and clicked on the travel insurance part.

That is when I read the $99 is the cost for the actual annual Travel insurance coverage.

Since I did not need the medical portion (I have global medical coverage through work). I purchased the annual Trip protection coverage. $69

Lesson learnt: sometimes its best to listen to a telemarketer..they may actually be giving you some valuable information.

I am not sure if its available in the US. but I checked and it is available in Canada for both Visa & Mastercards.

type in bmo mastercard in g**gle and it will bring up my banks website....and you can see the whole package it covers in the insurance section....I just copied and pasted most of it...click on for BMO Mosiac mastercard holders...that is the annual coverage not the per trip coverege. We were advised it was at sea is needed.

Believe me it was compared to other insurance policies that we could have purchased through our travel agent. My husband MADE me check and call back 25 million times with questions just to be sure!

It saves alot of money! The previous year we paid $290 in insurance for our Disney trip alone!

Thank you so much! We will check it out.

I have all my full travel insurance through my Master card.

I pay $69 a year for it. As long as I book the trip with my mastercard..its covered.

we travel alot , We were use to paying $200 per trip for insurance each trip..a couple times a year. This way we are covered for unlimited trips up to 91 days in length each trip. $69 for a year is worth the expense!

This might be an option for the OP to look into. I use AMEX for all my traveling and they have special things, like car rental insurance for members. So you might check your credit card and see if this might help. It's a long shot, I guess, but better than nothing. So sorry about your FIL.

Was it really necessary that you had to air your grips about CC in this of all threads? Is this going to help the OP with his problem, not likely? :(

My point to the OP was just to shrug off the rude people on here who will chide him about not buying insurance. Now tell me how your post helped? Your post wasn't even to the OP it was to me. Whatever, I'm done with this thread...not gonna defend my post anymore...sorry to the OP, I hope the address I gave you will help. Good luck.

hoe much is insurance pp typically?

Mexico through my TA. I paid $146 for just me!

Disney World & Cruise we paid I think it was $330 for 3 people

Usually over $100 per person per trip!!!

This covers me for unlimited trip for myself and my family memeber as long as they are all booked under my credit card!!! for $69 per year.

As a family of 2 adults and 1 child we were paying over $500 per year for travel insurance!

now its just the $69

I hope its availabe for you all in the U.S. cause it saves so much money!!!!

I have booked 4 cruises and took 3. The one that I canceled was the only one that I had insurance on. MY DW had ovarian cancer but was encouraged by her doctor to take the cruise and he felt she was in good enough shape to do it. That was right after he said there was nothing else he could do for her. We booked the cruise and got insurance. I even admitted why I wanted insurance. Well, a month before the cruise she took a very bad turn for the worse. We canceled and got the difference back in what Carnival refunded and the cost. She passed away a month later. I probably am risking it going without insurance but I usually think very hard before I decide one way other the other. I have learn some things today reading this.

To the OP, my thoughts and prayers are your wife and extended family.

I don't think you are completely out of luck.

My family has had some bad luck with cruising and we have had to cancel two cruises due to emergencies/sickness, one of them including this summer. We did not have insurance. First, if you cancel far enough in advance (over a week I think) you get a 50% refund. Second, we called our PVP who spoke to a supervisor. With the proper papers and proof, we were awarded a 50% credit on top of the refund. So we didn't lose any money on the trip. Yes, this is not Carnival's policy, but from these two experiences, we have learned that Carnival has a heart and is willing to listen. Call who you booked the cruise with (maybe booking directly is better), explain your situation, and see if they can do anything. In the end, Carnival is not losing anything by giving you a credit. You will spend your money again, and they can sell the room you vacated to someone else. they also gain some brownie points for being nice. It's worth a shot!

Good luck, and I am so sorry for what your family is going through.

No, I didn't say they were wrong. There is just a difference between telling someone "I'm sorry for your loss, please remember insurance next time" and "You should have thought of that, so serves you right, you don't deserve anything, and I am so sick of hearing people ask about this, it's what you get stupid, etc".

I would call that person "unfortunate". However, they will live and learn and be prepared for the next cruise. Snobby and rude people seem to be eternal. What exactly was the point you were trying to make with your post? You certainly made my point...

And you made my point as well....what do you call people who should have purchased insurance but did not?

I agree with the people you think are rude.Do you drive a car without insurance?

Coming on a public chat board trying to get an intelligent answer to a poor choice made earlier...what do you expect.The only other answer would be cheapness.To cheap to buy it,now because of cheapness there is an issue.Since you had an issue before,did you learn anything?

Steve

And you made my point as well....what do you call people who should have purchased insurance but did not?

I agree with the people you think are rude.Do you drive a car without insurance?

Coming on a public chat board trying to get an intelligent answer to a poor choice made earlier...what do you expect.The only other answer would be cheapness.To cheap to buy it,now because of cheapness there is an issue.Since you had an issue before,did you learn anything?

Steve

I disagree. He wasn't coming to the board to find out what he SHOULD HAVE DONE. Travel insurance that he doesn't have isn't going to help him now. He was finding out how to make the most of a bad situation. I'm sure he'll think really hard about travel insurance next time but you live and learn. Have some compassion and help with the problem at hand. "I told you so" helps NOTHING!

Steve

Well, I expected an intelligent answer or some advise since I have no prior experience with cruises. I also expected to get some backlash because we have some real losers in this world.

For the others who have offered their kind words and prayers, thank you. I spoke to my wife and she is bound and determined to go on this cruise no matter what. So, as of today, we will go on this cruise. I'm really not concerned one way or the other except that I wanted to be able to have the facts available to give to my wife when we discussed it.

She wants to go, so we will go. If she changes her mind then we won't go and I'll take some of the knowledge I have gained from this forum to attempt to get a credit on a future cruise with Carnival. If Carnival doesn't want to grant a credit if my wife does change her mind then I will harbor no bad feelings towards Carnival.

Life is full of risks. When you book a trip, you are taking a risk that you may have to forfeit deposits and such if you are forced to cancel. I'm not upset about it. Life goes on.

One more thing, my FIL is improving/improved over the weekend but has a long way to go.

Thanks again for your concern and prayers.

Archived