Pool Question and other ???

trace1208

Ok I am traveling on Carnival Pride April 18 th. Will be traveling with 21 month old twins, after popping in and out of some threads, am I to undersand that children are not allowed in pools on board the ship, really, cause this may create a huge problem for me. Any help would be appreciated.

Also if anyone has any tips for packing for 2 toddlers and anything you pack that you would absolutely be without, I would appreciate it. I have a list a mile long and already packed their clothes, but just feel like its so much between diapers wipes, toys stroller (double one at that). I dont want to bring umbrella strollers cause I want them to be comfy if they fall asleep. Luckily DH works for airline so we wont have to pay for extra bags!!!!

What you understand about the pools is correct. Non-potty trained children are not allowed in the pools onboard the ships. A few ships have splash areas for non-potty trained children but Carnival Pride is not one of them.

Some folks will bring a small wading pool for their diapered kids....you may want to consider that.

Not all of the older ships have the proper filtration for kids (or adults!) that may have an "accident". Even swim diapers, tho they hold in the solids, allow the pool water to filter through whatever is in the diaper.....nasty!

Ok I am traveling on Carnival Pride April 18 th. Will be traveling with 21 month old twins, after popping in and out of some threads, am I to undersand that children are not allowed in pools on board the ship, really, cause this may create a huge problem for me. Any help would be appreciated.

Also if anyone has any tips for packing for 2 toddlers and anything you pack that you would absolutely be without, I would appreciate it. I have a list a mile long and already packed their clothes, but just feel like its so much between diapers wipes, toys stroller (double one at that). I dont want to bring umbrella strollers cause I want them to be comfy if they fall asleep. Luckily DH works for airline so we wont have to pay for extra bags!!!!

A double stroller might not fit through the hall on a cruise ship-= PLUS the cabins stewards will be out and about in the morning and in the eveninging with their carts. Please rethink about bringing "2" umbrella type strollers so both can fit through the hall-- never even mind the cabin door. (we had to take GD out of the umbrella type stroller to fit into the cabin.

Cruiselines should have a pack and play-- use your own sheets.

Your kids cant use the camps either-- Not until 2. but camps are opened to your kids at noon til 2 as long as you stay with them- This is the time we used to use up pented energy. Lots of toys etc. We borrowed a toy or two during the week.-instead of bringing our own.

High chairs are the kind that pull to the table-- no tray. I thought they sat very low. We got the chilled soups and let her eat them with a straw, We took the throw away cups and utensils for her.

Take plenty of diapers-- expensive on the ship-- and if they have your size--

As for the pools=sorry it causes a huge problem for you-- but it could cause huge problems for other people- Putting children in pools that are not pottied trained can be a health hazard- these pools are not like pools at home. Besides the pools are salt water and many kids dont like it coz it tastes funny and burns their eyes.

I took my twins on the Pride when they were just a few months older than yours and I think they had the most fun on that ship of any we've been on (they've been on 6 cruises now). Of course we didn't use the pool and we didn't miss at all - we just went to pools/the beach in Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan.

The best thing I bring is lots of little new toys for the dining room. The Pride has booths, so you may want to request one ahead of time. Let me know if you have any questions. Pool aside, the Pride is a fantastic ship for toddlers.

Best,

Mia

A double stroller might not fit through the hall on a cruise ship-= PLUS the cabins stewards will be out and about in the morning and in the eveninging with their carts. Please rethink about bringing "2" umbrella type strollers so both can fit through the hall-- never even mind the cabin door. (we had to take GD out of the umbrella type stroller to fit into the cabin.

Your kids cant use the camps either-- Not until 2. but camps are opened to your kids at noon til 2 as long as you stay with them- This is the time we used to use up pented energy. Lots of toys etc. We borrowed a toy or two during the week.-instead of bringing our own.

High chairs are the kind that pull to the table-- no tray. I thought they sat very low. It also put everything within reaching distance for our 18 month old. We got the chilled soups and let her eat them with a straw, We took the throw away cups and utensils for her.

As for the pools=sorry it causes a huge problem for you-- but it could cause huge problems for other people- Putting children in pools that are not pottied trained can be a health hazard- these pools are not like pools at home. Besides the pools are salt water and many kids dont like it coz it tastes funny and burns their eyes.

High chairs are the kind that pull to the table-- no tray. I thought they sat very low. It also put everything within reaching distance for our 18 month old. We got the chilled soups and let her eat them with a straw, We took the throw away cups and utensils for her.

As for the pools=sorry it causes a huge problem for you-- but it could cause huge problems for other people- Putting children in pools that are not pottied trained can be a health hazard- these pools are not like pools at home. Besides the pools are salt water and many kids dont like it coz it tastes funny and burns their eyes. Our baby didnt miss the pool that week

As for the pools=sorry it causes a huge problem for you-- but it could cause huge problems for other people- Putting children in pools that are not pottied trained can be a health hazard- these pools are not like pools at home. Besides the pools are salt water and many kids dont like it coz it tastes funny and burns their eyes. Our baby didnt miss the pool that week

I took my twins on the Pride when they were just a few months older than yours and I think they had the most fun on that ship of any we've been on (they've been on 6 cruises now). Of course we didn't use the pool and we didn't miss at all - we just went to pools/the beach in Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan.

The best thing I bring is lots of little new toys for the dining room. The Pride has booths, so you may want to request one ahead of time. Let me know if you have any questions. Pool aside, the Pride is a fantastic ship for toddlers.

Best,

Mia

thanks for all the responses, we already requested pack and plays,kerry what kind of room did you have how did sleeping arrangements work, we booked a balcony and its ajoining with my parents room so the kids can kind of wander between the 2 rooms. Im so aggravated about the pool, I wish I could cancel, no one informed me of this, My kids are such nuts for the water I cannot even imagining them seeing the pool and not freaking out. I figured there was atleast a childrens pool or something. Im really upset. I knew they couldnt use the camp, so thats not a surprise, I have thought about the double stroller not fitting but really think they will not be as comfortable in the umbrella strollers, especially if they fall asleep. I figured we could always fold up the stroller and carry it if it didnt fit in the hallways were prety close to elevator so. Now if I bring an inflatable pool, will I be able to use it on the ship..... this is quite a dilemma for me now, lol, oh boy

Yes, you can bring an inflatable pool.

And actually, they do have group babysitting in Camp Carnival for Under 2's during certain hours - babysitting fees apply.

You should have been told by your TA about the pools. And it will appear in your cruise contract when you get that.

Now if I bring an inflatable pool, will I be able to use it on the ship..... this is quite a dilemma for me now, lol, oh boy

You can use the inflatable pool on your balcony or on an open deck. We used it with our DD on our last 2 cruises. Just empty it in the nearest deck drain. You can also find places for your kids to swim when in port/at the beach. I'm sure you will have a great time.

I am sorry that the pool situation is a "huge issue" for you, but the rules are not hidden or unstated. The rules are from the CDC and are for the health and safety of everyone. These pools are not like the large heavily chlorinated public pools on land. Even most "childrens" pools on cruise ships do not allow non-potty trained children. What kind of huge issue do you expect that would be so severe that you would have cancelled the cruise (and everything else it involves) because there are rules for using the pools? I understand how hard it can be to explain to toddlers that they can't do/have everything they want, but will it truly ruin the whole trip for you and them?

Did you book through a TA or directly with a cruise line rep? I suppose he or she should have told you that non-potty trained children aren't allowed in the pools, but it is really your job to know what the rules are. Did a family member book for you? If he or she knew the rules, it sure would have been nice for him or her to tell you. Better yet, they could have directed you to any of the various sources that include onboard regulations, activities, and so forth. On the website, it's right in the FAQs and the Age Restrictions information. I can't imagine it's not in the brochures or the cruise documents too.

I hope you are able to have a nice time anyway, but honestly it gets tedious to hear "no one informed me" of whatever-the-issue-is. Isn't it our job as customers and passengers to be well informed? You knew that the children's program is for ages 2 and up, so you must have done some research. If you had known about the regulations and cancelled, it wouldn't make a difference on other ships or cruise lines. The regular pools on ships do not (cannot) allow non-potty trained children (in swim diapers or not) in the pools. You will find that only a few cruise ships have special water play areas for non-potty trained children. These are not "pools" (for swimming, etc.) and are either very shallow and specially treated and filtered splash pools or water zones with spraying things, fountains, and such. For example, some of RCI's newest and largest ships have a special "Infant Splash Zone" that's near, but separate from, the regular splash zone.

As others have mentioned, you can consider bringing a small blow up pool for use onboard. It must be small so that it can fit on your balcony and/or not take up to much space on deck (near the kids pool area is where they usually have parents set their own blow up pools). You will fill it with a few inches of water that you'll haul from the cabin shower (if the pool is on the balcony) or from the outdoor showers and sometimes from the main pools (if you're bringing it to use on deck). When you empty it, you will drain it into the drain on your deck or down one of the deck drains (ask a crew member to show you). You cannot just empty it onto the balcony or deck. (I have trouble imagining how hazardous that area of the deck could become if 40 parents all decided to put out blow up pools that everyone had to navigate around. But as long as the cruise line allows it and has a way to handle any potential issues, then it shouldn't be any problem for you.)

Is your double stroller a side-by-side or tandem? The side-by-side will be more challenging to navigate and you'll need to find a place to store it in your cabin when you're not using it. There is no room to keep it outside the cabin door or anything. For the dining room, there is usually a spot where parents can stow strollers during dinner. If you decide you want to bring the stroller to the table, ask your waiter to simply remove the highchairs so you have room. And make sure the stroller itself isn't sticking out between other tables where people and waiters have to pass. Space can be quite tight, so many parents request a table by the wall so that the highchairs and strollers can be placed away from the walking spaces. If you decide to go to any of the evening shows, you'll find areas for parents with strollers to "park" the strollers and, generally, parents with young children are requested to sit in an area where they can easily leave if necessary. There are also areas in the theaters for wheelchair users; sometimes parents don't realize that and leave strollers there. If in doubt, ask for assistance and the crew will be happy to help you find a spot for the stroller and good seats in the theater.

It's true that cruising (or really any traveling) with infants and toddlers can be daunting because there is so much "stuff" to bring along. Even though you'll still have all the usual parenting duties, you will have someone to cook, clean, and take care of everything else all week, and that is a real treat for any parent.

Hope you don't let the pool issue color your whole trip. There is so much else to do and see and so much fun to be had that it would be a shame if you missed it.

beachchick

p.s., Yes, I am a parent, so I'm speaking from experience.

I am sorry that the pool situation is a "huge issue" for you, but the rules are not hidden or unstated. The rules are from the CDC and are for the health and safety of everyone. These pools are not like the large heavily chlorinated public pools on land. Even most "childrens" pools on cruise ships do not allow non-potty trained children. What kind of huge issue do you expect that would be so severe that you would have cancelled the cruise (and everything else it involves) because there are rules for using the pools? I understand how hard it can be to explain to toddlers that they can't do/have everything they want, but will it truly ruin the whole trip for you and them?

Did you book through a TA or directly with a cruise line rep? I suppose he or she should have told you that non-potty trained children aren't allowed in the pools, but it is really your job to know what the rules are. Did a family member book for you? If he or she knew the rules, it sure would have been nice for him or her to tell you. Better yet, they could have directed you to any of the various sources that include onboard regulations, activities, and so forth. On the website, it's right in the FAQs and the Age Restrictions information. I can't imagine it's not in the brochures or the cruise documents too.

I hope you are able to have a nice time anyway, but honestly it gets tedious to hear "no one informed me" of whatever-the-issue-is. Isn't it our job as customers and passengers to be well informed? You knew that the children's program is for ages 2 and up, so you must have done some research. If you had known about the regulations and cancelled, it wouldn't make a difference on other ships or cruise lines. The regular pools on ships do not (cannot) allow non-potty trained children (in swim diapers or not) in the pools. You will find that only a few cruise ships have special water play areas for non-potty trained children. These are not "pools" (for swimming, etc.) and are either very shallow and specially treated and filtered splash pools or water zones with spraying things, fountains, and such. For example, some of RCI's newest and largest ships have a special "Infant Splash Zone" that's near, but separate from, the regular splash zone.

As others have mentioned, you can consider bringing a small blow up pool for use onboard. It must be small so that it can fit on your balcony and/or not take up to much space on deck (near the kids pool area is where they usually have parents set their own blow up pools). You will fill it with a few inches of water that you'll haul from the cabin shower (if the pool is on the balcony) or from the outdoor showers and sometimes from the main pools (if you're bringing it to use on deck). When you empty it, you will drain it into the drain on your deck or down one of the deck drains (ask a crew member to show you). You cannot just empty it onto the balcony or deck. (I have trouble imagining how hazardous that area of the deck could become if 40 parents all decided to put out blow up pools that everyone had to navigate around. But as long as the cruise line allows it and has a way to handle any potential issues, then it shouldn't be any problem for you.)

Is your double stroller a side-by-side or tandem? The side-by-side will be more challenging to navigate and you'll need to find a place to store it in your cabin when you're not using it. There is no room to keep it outside the cabin door or anything. For the dining room, there is usually a spot where parents can stow strollers during dinner. If you decide you want to bring the stroller to the table, ask your waiter to simply remove the highchairs so you have room. And make sure the stroller itself isn't sticking out between other tables where people and waiters have to pass. Space can be quite tight, so many parents request a table by the wall so that the highchairs and strollers can be placed away from the walking spaces. If you decide to go to any of the evening shows, you'll find areas for parents with strollers to "park" the strollers and, generally, parents with young children are requested to sit in an area where they can easily leave if necessary. There are also areas in the theaters for wheelchair users; sometimes parents don't realize that and leave strollers there. If in doubt, ask for assistance and the crew will be happy to help you find a spot for the stroller and good seats in the theater.

It's true that cruising (or really any traveling) with infants and toddlers can be daunting because there is so much "stuff" to bring along. Even though you'll still have all the usual parenting duties, you will have someone to cook, clean, and take care of everything else all week, and that is a real treat for any parent.

Hope you don't let the pool issue color your whole trip. There is so much else to do and see and so much fun to be had that it would be a shame if you missed it.

beachchick

p.s., Yes, I am a parent, so I'm speaking from experience.

I dont mean to aound like a b**** but we are a pool family, my children swim ALL THE TIME, so thats my issue, I cant imagine them seeing the pool and not throwing a tantrum to get in it. My brother booked the trip for us through some on line agency and have taken care of anything and I called him last night and he was not aware of the rules either. I have already dug out an inflatable pool, we do have another child in our group same age so hopefully the three of them will be content with the blow up pool. I have also put an email into to the CL to see if there is anything else I need to do to prepare or be aware of, we are leaving in 3 weeks so doesnt leave much time. Honestly I if I was aware of the regulations, I may have chosen a resort over a cruise til the babies were potty trained, but lesson learned. I am not a first time cruiser so am aware of the constrictions of room as far as the stroller is concerned. But I think my first concern is the babies comfort, and considering they could be spending a large amount of time in the stroller I want them to be comfortable, plus the fact that my side by side has a large storage area, for when we are off the ship. I honestly cannot see my children being as comfortable in an umbrella stroller, so I am willing to take my chances there. COnsidering they still nap about 2 hours a day I want them comfy. I appreciate everyones responses and hope this will be somewhat relaxing. We do have several family memebers traveling with us, so hopefully everyone will pitch in and keep the babies amused. Thanks again for everyones help, I am looking forward to just getting away and relaxing a bit, Happy Cruising to all!!!!!

None of the cruise lines I've been with have allowed non-potty trained children in any of the pools and in Ocean Village and Royal Caribbean's brochures it's well-publicised information.

Ocean Village did have a very small paddling pool outside the children's club where babies and toddlers could splash but to be honest it wasn't much bigger than an inflatable pool anyway, so I think taking an inflatable pool to use on your balcony is your best bet.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Dont worry, your babies wont miss the pool especially if you bring a blow-up one. We have cruised with our DD at that age and there was so much going on on-deck that she was just as excited to dance with the pool side band or people watch or play with toys sitting by the pool. We brought the blow-up pool and she was happy with that and she is a big swimmer too. In ports we would always choose a beach excursion so she could get swim time in there as well.

As far as the double stroller, tandem would work best. You could bring a side by side but you may have to fold it and carry it in some places like the ramps on and off the ship (our single stroller barely fits and sometimes has to be carried off) and some corridors that are small or blocked by housekeeping carts, vacuums etc. Otherwise it should fit everywhere else. Also camp carnival rents side by side strollers for $25 a week so it can work. You want the most comfortable stroller for your kids if they will sleep in it. My DD would not sleep in it on the cruise after 12mo (we sailed at 7mo, 12mo, 19mo, 24mo).

Camp carnival has under 2 time from noon-2pm on sea days where you can play with them or leave them for $6/hr babysitting. They will give you a cell phone to contact you at any time. This was a nice break for us to have a few hours of no kid time on sea days. They also will babysit from Arrival in port until noon on port days or longer if arrival is later in the day and every evening from 10pm-2am.

As far as stuff to bring, we brought DVD player and einstein movies, blow up beach ball (go to an empty lounge during the day and let them throw the ball and run around), bubbles, small water toys, stacking cups, stickers, disposable bibs, colapsible softside cooler for room, tell the steward to keep it filled with ice and just grab milk from the morning buffet to keep in there.

Have a great cruise. Sorry it wasnt what you were expecting, but it still can be fun.

Good post beahchick!

Right from the Carnival website:

Use of the pools :

Due to United States Public Health (USPH) Regulations, we do not allow children in diapers, in swimming diapers or those not toilet-trained in the pools.

A travel agent cannot inform about everything.....a bit of personal responsibility....ie search the Carnival website for (infants and toddlers) would be a place to start .........or search here on the CC site before you book is a good idea.

Good advice about strollers too.

Happy Cruising!

Archived