Does Seabourn have free wine and alcohol?

Fblack

Is is any different than my paying for someone else's bigger appetite? I frankly don't know if the amount of wine I consume justifies the added cost of Seabourn but I like the convenience of not having to keep track, sign chits and then have a wonderful vacation ruined at the end by being faced with a large bill. And that is also not the only reason I choose Seabourn over other cruise lines. (Though I must say this has me curious now -- I just might keep track of how many drinks -- both alcoholic and non alcoholic -- we consume on our upcoming cruise -- maybe if I am not too embarrassed I will report back and we will see if we can assign a dollar value to it.):rolleyes:

And what about some people's caviar appetite....?

Or orders for special dishes every night.....?

We all have our special wishes, don't we?

We just all have paid for it already and that is the good thing about it!

Some people make their stewardesses work harder and longer, some take a lot of time of the hotel manager (complaining). Some people need room service all the time and others don't.

As long as we enjoy ourselves!

Marja

Looking strictly at "value" those passengers who make a habit of reaching for the top shelf for everything Seabourn has to offer---premium liquors, opening & closing the Sky Bar, special food orders, caviar burgers, etc---certainly get great value. For more moderate passengers, however, "convenience" has a fairly high price. BTW-I've seen plenty of "top shelf" passengers on Seabourn, including one memorable couple that took along a Seabourn waiter to serve them at a Champaign picnic onshore (champaign & food, including caviar, furnished by Seabourn).

This subject of whether non drinking passengers are subsidizing drinkers has been discussed ad nauseum over the years. Thank God it is Seabourn's policy to be all inclusive and if anyone doesn't like it there are plenty of other options out there. Use them!

I suppose that if was a glutton and I cared for caviar I'd have them fill my bathtub with it. Same with champagne.

However, since my wife doesn't drink alcohol at all, I shudder whenever the literature or videos tout that aspect as she figures it's money wasted.

I remind her that she can empty the fruit bowl without concern as I delight in not having to put a figure on my weakness for wine. Anyone is welcome to our share of sushi as long as we find something else to be ravenous about, beyond the bread sticks, that is.

Wripro-Sorry if the discussion nauseates you but my comments as well those of others are in line with the topic thread. I've sailed many weeks on Seabourn but not for its perceived value nor for the "included" alcohol" (I don't like caviar). For me it was the service, small ship size, ability to get to know your fellow passengers well and the itineraries (I tended to sail the "exotics" rather than TAs and Caribbean itineraries). I guess you "hang" with a different crowd onboard but I encountered plenty of discussions on my cruises about "'abuse" of the all-inclusive features.

My wife doesn't touch a drop, so her fare subsidizes mine. We're a self subsidizing couple.:p

As a seafood lover, she can nibble on my share of the Caviar, and I'll make sure her flute gathers no moss!

Breadsticks! I see Seabourn 'breadsticks' popping up in all sorts of threads, I'm usually tempted to hit the waiter over the head with them in most commercial estamblishments! Will someone please clue us in?

I'm no ships purser, but in reference to the couple who 'commandeered' their own private picnic waiter, I'd hazard they either paid a concession, or they were in one of the top suites/loyalty brackets to begin with, or they were due a 'customer recovery' gesture. Any further ideas anyone?

Please, good people, no need to get all bothered about who's drinking what or for how much! Let's all just relax and agree to disagree over a (free) wee dram!

Apart from the fact I do justice to the bar tab, the best thing is not having to 'transact' at a moment or mood when things are otherwise 'as good as they get', it's a priceless indulgence once experienced anywhere, never forgotten! Best summed up by that terrific statement made elsewhere about Seabourn, "If you see an outstretched palm, give it 'five!'":D

I know that people who have never cruised on Seabourn must think we are nuts by our constant references to the breadsticks. All I can say is that they are thin, crisp, flavorful and consumed by the thousands on board Seabourn. I have the recipe and make bread quite often but mine have never tasted as good as on Seabourn -- must be the missing ingredient of sea air. But honestly, so many are consumed on each cruise that one of the chefs once clued me in on one of the secrets -- they use a pasta machine to roll them out and cut them. All I can say is go on Seabourn and you too will become addicted.

This subject of whether non drinking passengers are subsidizing drinkers has been discussed ad nauseum over the years. Thank God it is Seabourn's policy to be all inclusive and if anyone doesn't like it there are plenty of other options out there. Use them!

For us, being all-inclusive is a very important feature of Seabourn. Not the only one but if it were dropped we would probably go elsewhere.

I never realized how convenient it is, until my first non-Seabourn cruise. Then I went on the QM2 and i was more annoyed with the need to sign for everything and tip for room service than with 2700 passengers. btw, (I think at least the Queen's & Princess Grilles should be all inclusive.)

Cruiseyguy,

I hope you didn't misconstrue my post to think that yours nauseated me. Not at all. What I was saying is that there have been countless threads on this subject and it had been covered over and over and over. There cannot possibly be anything new to say on the subject.

I travel with someone who does not touch a drop of alcohol and I only drink moderately myself (one cocktail before dinner and wine with meals.) Still, I could care less that others drink more because I am on Sebaourn, as has been stated by others for the service and overall experience. I pay my fare for the overall value I perceive Seabourn provides.

Hi-I haven't posted on CC for awhile; in fact, I haven't cruised in awhile. But I do like to keep up on cruising matters and this is an interesting thread. I know I could have used the "search" function to get more info on "all-inclusive" but it is useful to read current opinions--especially given the poor economy. Perhaps in the past people were a little freer with their money and the premium for "all-inclusive" seemed more justifiable. But maybe Seabourn passengers generally have been less affected by the economic downturn.

Hi-I haven't posted on CC for awhile; in fact, I haven't cruised in awhile. But I do like to keep up on cruising matters and this is an interesting thread. I know I could have used the "search" function to get more info on "all-inclusive" but it is useful to read current opinions--especially given the poor economy. Perhaps in the past people were a little freer with their money and the premium for "all-inclusive" seemed more justifiable. But maybe Seabourn passengers generally have been less affected by the economic downturn.

fPetrarca. In my view, Seabourn is excellent value for money, even in this economy, and especially with the discounts they are offering at the moment (plus the onboard open booking discount). When I am on vacation, I don't want to feel like I am getting "nickel and dimed" for every little thing. All-inclusive takes that away.

Of course, the term "all-inclusive" is in the eye of the beholder. Justifiably, some would call it a misnomer.

"All-inclusive" doesn't cover the tours, and those of us who use the tour desk liberally end up with a far larger bill than we would if tours were included and booze wasn't. "Tours included?", you ask. Yup, our first six cruises were with Intrav/Clipper (no longer in business), and tours were included. (Wine at meals was covered on some of them.) Luxury? Nope. But well equipped small ships with interesting itineraries.

That said, we have always been a little uncomfortable ordering wine by the bottle on cruises where it isn't included. Especially, since my wife drinks white wine with everything and I drink red with meats. So, what can happen is that you end up with two bottles of wine on a table, for say, 6 or 8, and what do you do? Share? So when it's included (as long as it's drinkable), it eliminates this issue.

Well sure, on expedition style trips " tours" are included -- but to my mind that is a totaly different type of trip -- apples and oranges.When we travel with Lindblad or A&K we to the Galapagos or Africa we are paying for activities and an education. And while the accomodations are usually rather nice we are not pampered the way we are on Seabourn. So for a similar price we make tradeoffs based on our objectives.

As a total novice to the cruising life I can only state that it was a combination of the unbridled enthusiasm which repeat customers have expressed, along with the all-inclusive aspect of Seabourn, which swayed me.

I know that I would be so turned off by the uncertainty of tipping levels, and the impending doom of seeing a final bill for beverages, that my first cruise might very well be my last.

Thanks to your guidance and candidness, I hope it will be the first of many. Sometimes singing to the choir brings in a new congregant.

"All-inclusive" doesn't cover the tours, and those of us who use the tour desk liberally end up with a far larger bill than we would if tours were included and booze wasn't. "Tours included?", you ask. Yup, our first six cruises were with Intrav/Clipper (no longer in business), and tours were included. (Wine at meals was covered on some of them.) Luxury? Nope. But well equipped small ships with interesting itineraries.

A good point. All-inclusive does not cover tours, spa or internet (this latter was a bone of contention for me). Other than the internet, I am fine with this arrangement.

Interesting thread. I requested a specific brand of bourbon not listed in the guest registration and received an immediate e-mail stating that they would forward my request. So we'll see what happens. One in our group doesn't eat seafood and another doesn't drink at all, so it should all work out. My preference is to pay more upfront and not be nickel and dimed while on board even if it turns out to be a bit more expensive.

We do not drink alcohol at all. We love Seabourn and feel we get good value for money.

We eat, and eat and eat. Whenever we can we enjoy 3 courses at lunch in the dining room and 5 courses at dinner every day. We try as many different things as we can from the menu and it feels like heaven. (and we always finish everything on the plate:eek:).

We haven't felt the need to order exotica 'off menu' as we enjoy the regular food so much.

Steve.

Archived