PV restaraunts

Jules7226

I'll apologize now if I'm asking a repeat question but I searched and didn't find anything this specific. We'll be on the Splendor soon and since we are in PV until late, I was thinking that maybe we would have dinner in port that night. Has anyone ever dined off the ship for dinner in PV? If so I would appreciate any recommendations that you could give. Would prefer authentic mexican or cuban. Thanks. :D

We just sailed from PV tonight, and got really excited about a couple of the restaurants all the way down the last stretch of beach just beyond the Malecon--you just keep walking the Malecon and when it looks like it's ended, keep going toward the ocean. It's very easy; there are many posts about it around. Then you'll be walking on a sidewalk in front of a bunch of lovely condo towers, with the beach on your right. Keep going, and there will be a short wooden boardwalk which goes by a few restaurants with tables outside. They are charming, and all the people eating there recommended every single one of them very highly! You can walk from the end of the Malecon (where it starts) to that area in about 20 minutes.

We spend two months a year in PV and eat in over 50 different restaurants each season (just returned at the end of February). There is a cuban restaurant located just off the Malecon, but I do not know anyone who has every eaten at that place. As to authentic Mexican food, after spending 3 seasons in Mexico we do not know what this means. You can eat anything from fish tacos (street food) to gourmet Mexican (Agave Grill) and about 1000 things between and it would all be Mexican food. You need to be a bit more specific as to what you are looking for and your budget.

Hank

I agree that Barcelona Tapas is an excellent restaurant, but the OP asked about Mexican and Cuban food,,,,not Spanish. By the way, Barcelona Tapas is owned by a guy from Chicago (hi Bill). I disagree about the restaurants near the Malecon. Many of the better places are several blocks off the Malecon and residents have long known that the best deals for the money are very often found in the Romantic Zone (south side). I can have a great dinner with fresh grilled Red Snapper, rice, appetizer, and a drink for about $30 total for two, if we stay away from the touristy Melcon area places. There is a reason the Malecon has McDonalds, Bubba Gumps, Subway, etc. It gets a lot of foot traffic from those that do not know better.

I'll apologize now if I'm asking a repeat question but I searched and didn't find anything this specific. We'll be on the Splendor soon and since we are in PV until late, I was thinking that maybe we would have dinner in port that night. Has anyone ever dined off the ship for dinner in PV? If so I would appreciate any recommendations that you could give. Would prefer authentic mexican or cuban. Thanks. :D

Hi Jules,

I'm with Hlitner on this one. After spending a while in Mexico, you begin to understand that there is no such thing as "authentic Mexican", only regional styles. We could recommend any number of quality Mexican restaurants based on where you would like to eat (beach, city view, Malecon/sunset view) and how much you want to spend.

Although I haven't eaten there (yet), the top rated Cuban restaurant is La Bodeguita del Medio. They are located on the Malecon near the north end http://www.vallartaonline.com/restaurants/labodeguitadelmedio/

Enjoy!

Below is Barcelona Tapas with it's view. We did not eat the tapas. If you like a good view, there is a restaurant much higher in the same area, as seen in the third pic down. We will stop by at the El Brujo for a meal when we go next on the Splendor 05/10/09. We will move around in port alot, and we will briefly visit new to us places for food and drink and views. My must visit list also includes Joe Jacks, Cafe Roma, cheeky bar, beach house, marisma taco, and Casa Islabel Hotel bar (view)

The link below has a list.

Puerto Vallarta restaurant list link ==> http://vallarta-info.com/restaurants.html

Barcelona Tapas

IMG_1483.jpg

Barcelona Tapas view

IMG_1469-1.jpg

a much higher up view restaurant (I forgot the name)

IMG_1319.jpg

Thank you all for the great info. I guess it does sound a little silly for me to say "authentic" mexican food beings as we'll be in PV. I guess that I'm just so used to that term in the states when I want the non-americanized mexican food if that makes sense. :confused:

As far as the location goes, I'm not too picky as long as the food is great. As to the price range, there are 4 in my family and I would like to try and stay under around $80 or so. That amount may need to be adjusted so that I can enjoy a margarita.....or 2. :D

I also absolutely LOVE Cuban food so if anyone happens to visit the restaurants mentioned, please post and let me know. ;)

Hi Jules,

I'm with Hlitner on this one. After spending a while in Mexico, you begin to understand that there is no such thing as "authentic Mexican", only regional styles. We could recommend any number of quality Mexican restaurants based on where you would like to eat (beach, city view, Malecon/sunset view) and how much you want to spend.

Although I haven't eaten there (yet), the top rated Cuban restaurant is La Bodeguita del Medio. They are located on the Malecon near the north end http://www.vallartaonline.com/restaurants/labodeguitadelmedio/

Enjoy!

MSN - Thanks for the great link. This restaurant sounds wonderful. Right up my alley for sure. The mojitos are calling my name already. :p Thanks again!!

Archived