Please Help Me Decide What To Do In Cabo/PV/Mazatlan

voton91

yep, we also loved the pools on the back, & Sapphire is the youngest of the Sister Ships

IMG_5268.jpg

On the Splendor, we are looking forward to the 1st west coast

GIANT SCREEN TV

we watched a exciting football game onetime at night, and when the Colts white uniforms were closeup, you could feel the heat off the screen, an amazing cruise experience! Evening movies w/blankets & popcorn was nice also!

CIMG2330.jpg

IMG_5327.jpg

We had MUTS on our Caribbean Princess cruise and LOVED it :)

LittleChef:

We are on Princess Saphire in a couple of weeks. We booked the noon zipline (on our own) and a 5:00 massage at Krystals. I checked with the zipline company and they said that we would return between 4:00 -4:30 - since Krystal's is only a 5-10 minute walk from the ship terminal - we figure we can do both. We won't have time to go back to our room after zipline and change- but that is okay.

The trick is once we are done with zipline- is to get the first shuttle back to town - we won't have time to hang around afterwards - it is worth it to be able to do the massage.

Mary

meliko91900 and mary(mrobinson): Thank you so much for your advice. I do have a silly question...I have heard from so many to not eat or drink in Mexico --for fear of getting sick. My husband thinks all the establishments are going to tell us that the water, ice cubes, etc. are safe. Any advice? I am assuming that the tours that offer lunch should be safe. I can't imagine going to Mexico and not have a drink or sample the food. My husband does not even want to try any drinks because of the ice.

Mary-have a wonderful time on your trip. You must be so excited that it is so close...Enjoy and fill me in when you get back!! I think I am going to go with the times you gave me. Have fun!!!!

Can you tell me more about the sealion swim? That sounds interesting.

Like, who with, cost, etc.

Cabo - Zodiac Whale Watching - this was the best!

http://www.cabosanlucastours.net/Zod...e-Watching.htm

At the beginning of the trip we went very close to the Arch and got a close up view of the sea lions and pelicans on the cliffs.

PV - This walking tour and margaritas at the Cheeky Monkey was a lot of fun!

(The churches are beautiful - we were also there during the Our Lady of Guadalupe celebration and saw many parades in PV and Acapulco.)

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/puertovallarta/152010008.html

Don't miss Casa Kimberley - Liz Taylor and Richard Burton's love nest

http://www.casakimberley.com/

Here's a interesting article about the home - now a Bed and Breakfast!

http://www.squidoo.com/Taylorburton

For a beautiful view and cheap drinks go to the Cheeky Monkey

http://www.cheekymonkeypv.com/

1628186928_caboarch2.jpg.d269975f719ac44b149969f9e1d8ff23.jpg

Cabo - Zodiac Whale Watching - this was the best!

http://www.cabosanlucastours.net/Zod...e-Watching.htm

At the beginning of the trip we went very close to the Arch and got a close up view of the sea lions and pelicans on the cliffs.

PV - This walking tour and margaritas at the Cheeky Monkey was a lot of fun!

(The churches are beautiful - we were also there during the Our Lady of Guadalupe celebration and saw many parades in PV and Acapulco.)

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/puertovallarta/152010008.html

Don't miss Casa Kimberley - Liz Taylor and Richard Burton's love nest

http://www.casakimberley.com/

Here's a interesting article about the home - now a Bed and Breakfast!

http://www.squidoo.com/Taylorburton

For a beautiful view and cheap drinks go to the Cheeky Monkey

http://www.cheekymonkeypv.com/

One question: for the zodiak whale watching and the link you provided I didnt see a tour with the same name lisiting. Is "Zodiak" the name of a particular boat, or a type of boats for ex., an inflatable boat that would use zodiak type boats.

Is the place the "cheeky monkey" similar to carlos and charlies or senior frogs?

We just got back from our cruise. I highly recommend the Extreme Canopy in PV, was a blast! We booked online, had no problem finding out tour, we were to meet at 1030 ship time, and then we didn't leave the meeting place until 11. Got back at 5 ship time.

In Mazatlan we booked online for Stone Island with 2 free water activities with Puerto Advantures. I can't highly recommend them, but can't dog them either, they get a C+. I think I'd try booking with a different company next time, the tour had potential to be great.

CAbo, we swam with dolphins, the 30 minute one, awesome! We paid $100 in pictures too. Very pricey, but so worth it.

We just got back from our cruise. I highly recommend the Extreme Canopy in PV, was a blast! We booked online, had no problem finding out tour, we were to meet at 1030 ship time, and then we didn't leave the meeting place until 11. Got back at 5 ship time.

In Mazatlan we booked online for Stone Island with 2 free water activities with Puerto Advantures. I can't highly recommend them, but can't dog them either, they get a C+. I think I'd try booking with a different company next time, the tour had potential to be great.

CAbo, we swam with dolphins, the 30 minute one, awesome! We paid $100 in pictures too. Very pricey, but so worth it.

That sounds great! I think I am going to go ahead and book the Extreme Canopy!! I think I will try to do Mazatlan on my own. Somebody mentioned that we could pretty much find taxis all over the place to take us to the beach. I had just wanted to parasail and was told that it is pretty easy to do on our own once we get there. I think I will take my chances there. As long as I don't miss the Canopy in PV--I am pretty easy about the other ports. Did you book the dolphin swim on your own, as well or with the ship? Did you happen to cruise with Carnival? Thanks for the info!

Please be smart and check with your cruise line before booking anything! Many lines are not stopping in Mexico at all now due to the flu problems and who know what kind of refunds tour operators will give you. RCCL announced it is not going to Mexico through June 14 sailing. Be careful. :eek:

Please be smart and check with your cruise line before booking anything! Many lines are not stopping in Mexico at all now due to the flu problems and who know what kind of refunds tour operators will give you. RCCL announced it is not going to Mexico through June 14 sailing. Be careful. :eek:

I was just talking to my husband about this a few moments ago. I am glad I have not booked anything yet. We aren't going on the cruise until October--thank goodness. Hopefully things will be better by then. I feel so bad for the people that are on the ship this week and the upcoming sailings :( I may call the company in PV and speak to somebody and see what their refund policy is. They may be a little bit more understanding with this whole flu situation. If not, I will probably just pay the extra money and book with Carnival--just to be on the safe side. Thank you!!

littlechief,

I was on Carnival Splendor. I booked online for the PV extreme Canopy (I saved $51 each), Mazatlan Stone Island (I saved $40), and Cabo dolphins (I didn't save any money but I booked so I wasn't disappointed with a sellout which always happens with dolphins.) All of these tour companys have a policy that your money is refunded if the ship changes it schedule, or can't dock, or can't anchor etc.

When do you go? I too heard that all ships are canceling Mexican ports due to the swine flu. I am so glad we went before it was publized. And we aren't sick!

littlechief,

I was on Carnival Splendor. I booked online for the PV extreme Canopy (I saved $51 each), Mazatlan Stone Island (I saved $40), and Cabo dolphins (I didn't save any money but I booked so I wasn't disappointed with a sellout which always happens with dolphins.) All of these tour companys have a policy that your money is refunded if the ship changes it schedule, or can't dock, or can't anchor etc.

When do you go? I too heard that all ships are canceling Mexican ports due to the swine flu. I am so glad we went before it was publized. And we aren't sick!

Good for you that you were able to enjoy!! With all the unhappy postings--it's nice to read one with a happy ending. I feel so bad for those that had their heart set on Mexico in the upcoming sailings. I am not going until October, so I'm not too worried. Do you happen to have the names of the companies you booked with and would you say they were all okay? You saved a lot of $--that's great! Thank you for the info, especially the time for PV. I would probably mess up the time--if left to me. What did you think of Splendor? Any advise about the ship? Thanks again!!

I can't post links here, so I will try to get you there, I googled "puerto vallarta tours", a few links came up, I looked at a few of them, all very similar. I went with puertovallartatours , was very pleased with the extreme canopy tour. Had a little bit of a problem finding the meeting location, but not as bad as in mazatlan.

I did the same for Mazatlan, went with Puesta del Sol Charters . I do not recommend them, but I don't want to dog them either, the tour had potential to be great. Biggest disappointment was, it took me 45 minutes to find the tour meeting place. It was a skinny guy walking around the terminal area. Then he spoke 90% spanish on the tour, due to many nationals on the tour, he left us Americans out. Then the banana boat ride, it took 1 hr 20 minutes to get a 5 minute ride for us Americans. the nationals got 10-15 minute rides.

In Cabo, I went with bestontravelnetwork. Had a great time, excellent instructions.

As for the ship, I do not recommend cabin 6204. All the way forward is not a problem but this room was very noisy, lots of creaks and groans in the walls and ceiling, and it sounded like a cargo area below us, lots of crash booms at all hours. Even my husband complained (to me).

The ship, like all Carnival ships, is cold, they crank up the air conditioning to high, I was always cold, and I am not a cold person. I am warm blooded. I would suggest tshirts, not tanks. And a sweater.

One suggestion....get some rest before you go. I started the cruise exhausted and never caught up. We didn't go to one club, missed the comedy shows etc. Oh, we did try to go to the last comedy show, got there 15 minutes early but it was standing room only. We went to bed.

If you smuggle your own booze on board (we did, google rum runner flasks, get a 10% discount with the code "repeat") I suggest the breakfast guava juice as a mixer, found next to the OJ.

I can't post links here, so I will try to get you there, I googled "puerto vallarta tours", a few links came up, I looked at a few of them, all very similar. I went with puertovallartatours , was very pleased with the extreme canopy tour. Had a little bit of a problem finding the meeting location, but not as bad as in mazatlan.

I did the same for Mazatlan, went with Puesta del Sol Charters . I do not recommend them, but I don't want to dog them either, the tour had potential to be great. Biggest disappointment was, it took me 45 minutes to find the tour meeting place. It was a skinny guy walking around the terminal area. Then he spoke 90% spanish on the tour, due to many nationals on the tour, he left us Americans out. Then the banana boat ride, it took 1 hr 20 minutes to get a 5 minute ride for us Americans. the nationals got 10-15 minute rides.

In Cabo, I went with bestontravelnetwork. Had a great time, excellent instructions.

As for the ship, I do not recommend cabin 6204. All the way forward is not a problem but this room was very noisy, lots of creaks and groans in the walls and ceiling, and it sounded like a cargo area below us, lots of crash booms at all hours. Even my husband complained (to me).

The ship, like all Carnival ships, is cold, they crank up the air conditioning to high, I was always cold, and I am not a cold person. I am warm blooded. I would suggest tshirts, not tanks. And a sweater.

One suggestion....get some rest before you go. I started the cruise exhausted and never caught up. We didn't go to one club, missed the comedy shows etc. Oh, we did try to go to the last comedy show, got there 15 minutes early but it was standing room only. We went to bed.

If you smuggle your own booze on board (we did, google rum runner flasks, get a 10% discount with the code "repeat") I suggest the breakfast guava juice as a mixer, found next to the OJ.

You're great!! I will hope to book this weekend. You are a big help with the ports and what to do.

Thank you for the tip about the ac. My husband will love it, but I am like you--hate the cold. I will bring a few sweaters.

Good point about rest before the cruise. On our honeymoon-we took a flight out--probably one of the first for the day--the morning after our wedding. It took us days to finally get some energy. That was 10 years ago and could never do that again.

We are driving from SF to LA the week before the cruise. I didn't plan too much and want to go with the flow--with the thought of not being too tired before the cruise. We are coming from the east and knew we would be messed up with the time change.

Thank you again for all your help. I am glad you were able to catch the "mexican" cruise and glad you had a good time :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello. I was just about to book my "Los Veranos Canopy", but am a bit confused and wanted to check with you all at CC first. Is "Los Veranos" that has been suggested the same as "Puertavallarta Tours By Johann and Sandra"? I typed in Los Veranos Canopy earlier and it brought me to "Puertavallarta Tours". Before the "swine flu"...I thought the site I had gone on was different, so I am wondering if it is one and the same or if I am in the wrong area. Help:confused: I just know that many have mentioned "Los Verranos Canopy" and I want to make sure I book with the correct company. Do you all suggest booking earlier in PV--rather than later? I think we get to PV (Carnival) at 10. Thank you:D

• 2 weeks later...
littlechief,

My adult daughter and I are going on the Splendor July 12th. Did you like the ship? In Mazatlan, Cabo, and PV, were there transports or taxis near the ship? We are geocachers and we would like a combination of a tour of the cities (my daughter has never been to the Mexican Riviera) and also to take us to the location of geocaches.Do we negotiate the price?

• 1 month later...

I want to bump and kind of "hijack", so to speak, this thread so that I don't have to start another one. I have lots of questions that have been touched on, but haven't found my specific answers that I am looking for.

We are going to these ports in Oct. on the Mariner. The canopy zip line tour is sounding like a for sure thing in PV. So now who is the best company to book with? Can my mom & 2 nieces, 2 & 5, come along and have something to do while we do the zip line, and then be able to meet up afterwards and enjoy the water? Is the water area safe for a 2 year old? Is there a nice beach walking distance or a short taxi ride away from the pier?

With all the talk and cruise excursions to Stone Island in Mazatlan, will it be crowded? How's the snorkeling there? What about Deer Island? I haven't heard much about that place.

Any recommendations for any good beach snorkeling spots that we can do on our own and that are easily accesible at any of these ports?

Thanx in advance!!

I want to bump and kind of "hijack", so to speak, this thread so that I don't have to start another one. I have lots of questions that have been touched on, but haven't found my specific answers that I am looking for.

We are going to these ports in Oct. on the Mariner. The canopy zip line tour is sounding like a for sure thing in PV. So now who is the best company to book with? Can my mom & 2 nieces, 2 & 5, come along and have something to do while we do the zip line, and then be able to meet up afterwards and enjoy the water? Is the water area safe for a 2 year old? Is there a nice beach walking distance or a short taxi ride away from the pier?

With all the talk and cruise excursions to Stone Island in Mazatlan, will it be crowded? How's the snorkeling there? What about Deer Island? I haven't heard much about that place.

Any recommendations for any good beach snorkeling spots that we can do on our own and that are easily accesible at any of these ports?

Thanx in advance!!

Please see this thread... specifically my report about PV Outdoor adventure. I am not sure about the canopy tour, but it is probably the same. You have to book this through the cruise ship. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1004065

I am sure your relatives could take a taxi to a beach somewhere, but I wouldn't recommend that they go along on the canopy tour.

Not sure about Stone Island, as it was raining while we were there.

Have fun!

Archived