Trinkets for Cabin Steward

tammi0916

The only thing give from my state is a picture of Andrew Jackson ($20) at the beginning of the cruise! (I leave the auto tips on also). At the end, if he/she has "exceeded my expectations", then I might give him/her another one!

I will also leave paperback books, insulated mugs, etc. But I have a suspect that those are shared or thrown away!

I know some give big candy bars, that went over just fine. I give mine books as I read them and they always say thanks, not to give them something, just figure they probably have a crew library to add them too. I take some good mysteries with me that would be popular light reading.

Iv never taken anything from my home state or current state.

I read a post from an ex cruise director that said that cash is what is appreciated. However if you are going to give something it should be something that has personal meaning. They do not usually like calling cards, candy, etc.

I have seen that some people give their cabin steward "trinkets" from their home state. Can someone give me an example of things they have given?

And does it really help get better service?

The only thing give from my state is a picture of Andrew Jackson ($20) at the beginning of the cruise! (I leave the auto tips on also). At the end, if he/she has "exceeded my expectations", then I might give him/her another one!

I will also leave paperback books, insulated mugs, etc. But I have a suspect that those are shared or thrown away!

I would hope that you would do it as a token of good will, and not to get better service.;)

Like kjunea said, cask is king!:cool:

I leave some booze behind on most cruises, but not sure if they appreciate it or not.

I have heard that a lot of crew members likes movie dvd's. That way they have some sort of entrtainment. I am taking some moveies for them that I have already watched.

Hopefully they like them.

I think they would love a T-Shirt this is the one I made for my last cruise..

shirtp.png

Didn't seem to go over too well tho.... :p;)

Lol! Do you know where I can get a couple of those?

I'm just kidding. I don't wan't to make the cabin steward angry. But the shirt is kind of funny.

As long as the trinket is in addition to a cash tip and small, they might, just might be appreciated by the crew.

When I was in Mexico a few years ago I tried to give the bartender a deck of cards with a 20 or 50 peso bill sticking out as a tip, I don't think they play many card games there as he didn't seem to know what they were.

Now I just give cash, it's always the right color and usually the right size.

We leave a couple of bucks on the pillow each day wrapped around a mini sized candy bar. We also give our room service tips around the candy. They want cash!! But a little chocolate to go along with it is not a crime. :)

I really like this idea. I wonder if it would work for our dining room servers as well?

I have seen that some people give their cabin steward "trinkets" from their home state. Can someone give me an example of things they have given?

My cabin steward always gets the small green paper trinkets in $5.00 $10.00 $20.00 and $50.00 denominations :D

Put a $5 or $10 each night in a towel animal mouth. I would not suggest any trinkets as they have very little personal space on the ship. Just think about what you would want if you had absolutely no room for storage.... money always finds a spot!!!!!!

I agree with everyone in that cash is the best. I would rather get my paycheck from my boss than a "trinket". The staff works hard and only has a small amount of storage, if I were guessing most of those gifts probably get thrown away. Just leave cash.

Trinkets? We don't need no steenking trinkets. Respectfully, ... don't waste your time or theirs. Recall the ABBA song from Mamma Mia (the musical):

I work all night, I work all day, to pay the bills I have to pay

Ain't it sad

And still there never seems to be a single penny left for me

That's too bad

In my dreams I have a plan

If I got me a wealthy man

I wouldn't have to work at all, I'd fool around and have a ball

Money, money, money

Must be funny

In the rich man's world

Money, money, money

Always sunny

In the rich man's world

Aha-ahaaa

All the things I could do

If I had a little money

It's a rich man's world

I see two options here:

1. Give them cash and trinkets. They will like the cash and there is a chance they will like the trinkets.

2. Give them cash and give them the cash you would have used to buy the trinkets. They're guaranteed to like both.

Only one of these options is a sure bet.

Thanks for all the great info -

First I had always planned to hand out the cold hard cash

Second - I am not doing it for my self satisfaction, I was just trying to find out if there was something small that the steward might like so I could accommadate it.

I happen to really like to build a relationship with my steward and I feel they work extremely hard and really just was looking alittle something special to include with my extra tip!

I will never understand why people buy gifts for their cabin stewards. They don't know anything about them, their likes and dislikes, so how can you shop for them? The crew live in very cramped quarters and really don't have anywhere to store the "trinkets". I'm sure most of this stuff ends up in the trash. I'd rather show my appreciation with an extra tip. Money is always appreciated.

Archived