Trinkets for Cabin Steward

tammi0916

I have seen that some people give their cabin steward "trinkets" from their home state. Can someone give me an example of things they have given?

And does it really help get better service?

Please do not give your cabin steward JUNK, they do not need. They do not have the room to hold all of that JUNK, The only Trinkets I give them is what they and their family need and that is CASH !!!

Another Trinket that is very useful and small is the International Calling Card, that was a great idea someone posted long ago.

Fred

On our last cruise DH and I were chatting with a Lido bartender on the first day who was so sweet as the time passed we said we were going to take our drinks and go for a walk and she said please finish your drink here and talk to me, you're both so nice. The next day we were walking by and she was setting up the bar and called out to us asking us what we did the night before and how our cruise was going, from that day every time we saw her she would make it a point to say hello to us.

One day we stopped for a drink and watched some donkey berate her because he was certain there was no booze in his drink, she dumped it out and made him another and he said this drink too wasn't made right and he continued to treat her rudely. DH at one point attempted to say something to this guy but I convinced him otherwise but my heart went out to the bartender because her eyes were welling up with tears. When the donkey left I said I was sorry that she was treated like that and she said "it's ok he's not the first fool and he won't be the last" and we all laughed.

Through the next few days we visited her a lot and I got to hear all about her and her life and she asked us so many questions about us/family/life etc, she truly made our cruise more enjoyable. On the last night I ended up finding her and giving her a card with a nice handwritten note and some cash and she was so emotional, it was well worth the few minutes it took to write :)

I also always take the time to fill out comment cards as well as sending a letter to Carnival with the names of those who made a difference :)

EXCELLENT!!

And the most important gift is the COMMENT CARD!!!

Right? The acting the staff performs that goes on to get more cash out of your wallet and into their account should get an academy award. Again, read FACEBOOK and you will see what they think of notes, candy, and trinkets.

A positive comment card is almost as important as cash.

No matter how often it's said, people don't get it.

My god !!!, what are these people thinking? This is about a person or people going on Vacation and not suppling the crew with Junk.

I was in the U.S. Navy and even on those Tin Cans we did not have enough Locker space or the storage under our Racks (beds) to keep all of those JUNK.

If you gave me some Junk from your home state even if it was my own state, it would surely go into the Round File.

The only thing these Crew Members want from you is CASH !!!!

Fred

On the Island Princess, the first night our assistant waitress remarked how much she loved my DelSol keyring bear - so, at the last port (Jamaica - the only one with a store), I made a special trip in to the shopping center to get her one. No biggie for me - but the look on her face when she clipped it to her vest that night at dinner - brings tears to my eyes right now. I've done similar over the years for some who like certain items they can't find. If I find it during my "shore" time, I pick it up. Simple as that.

That makes much more sense (to me anyway)....also, after reading this suggestion here years back, I always talk to the waiters/cabin stewards prior to a port day and ask them if they are getting off the ship. If they say no, that they have to work, I always ask them if there is anything they'd like for us to pick up for them while in port. This way, if it is something they want, it is truly a gift to them. I don't think giving things that 'I' think would be fun or useful as gifts is really gift giving.

My god !!!, what are these people thinking? This is about a person or people going on Vacation and not suppling the crew with Junk.

I was in the U.S. Navy and even on those Tin Cans we did not have enough Locker space or the storage under our Racks (beds) to keep all of those JUNK.

If you gave me some Junk from your home state even if it was my own state, it would surely go into the Round File.

The only thing these Crew Members want from you is CASH !!!!

Fred

To me it's so embarrassing...I feel it's utterly condescending to hand hard working adults little trinkets (again, like they are children)...not to mention (again) that these passegers must feel like they are the only people taking a cruise.

THOUSANDS of THOUSANDS of passengers each week.....!!!!!

Do the math for goodness sake..

to me it's so embarrassing...i feel it's utterly condescending to hand hard working adults little trinkets (again, like they are children)...not to mention (again) that these passegers must feel like they are the only people taking a cruise.

Thousands of thousands of passengers each week.....!!!!!

Do the math for goodness sake..

thank you !!! :) I totally feel the same. SO FREAKIN EMBARRASSING !!!

Don't get me wrong, the THOUGHT is totally nice, but come on people, lets get real here, CASH is what they want.

Fred

A positive comment card is almost as important as cash.

Actually, positive comments on the comment cards are as good as cash, perhaps even better at times.

Good comments from pax help staff move up the assignment ladder in their given areas of service. We've had many waiters tell us that good comment cards enable them to chose their dining room station for the next cruise.

Dianne

I, too, leave the steward the over the door shoe storage unit.....along with my wrinkle release...........of course, as well as $$

As a gift, or because you don't want to bother to pack it and bring it home??

That's 2 over-the-door shoe things just out of this miniscule group of people chatting here alone.

It seems to me that multiple items such as this are not gifts, they're trash left behind by the passengers.

Sorry to be so blunt, but I call it like I see it. Downy wrinkle release??...seriously.

I, too, leave the steward the over the door shoe storage unit.....along with my wrinkle release...........of course, as well as $$

A used shoe holder must be very appreciated by them.

This topic arises every once in awhile. I remember a post a few years ago where a guest thought it appropriate to give the steward a coffee maker and blender. :confused:

You really have to consider how much space (or lack of) the crew members have. It's not like they have a storage locker to hold stuff. Have to imagine that most of those types of "gifts" end up in trash.

This topic arises every once in awhile. I remember a post a few years ago where a guest thought it appropriate to give the steward a coffee maker and blender. :confused:

no way :eek: LMAO :p

*shakes head*

Well lets do some math.

A ship like the Valor holds on an average 2974 paxs. If the Valor sailed 52 weeks in a year, that 152,648 passengers. A cabin steward has around 20+ cabins to deal with which he shares his work with helpers. If you do not believe me, check the list that you have to sign stating you spoke and met your cabin steward and count the names on his list.

So we can say that if he had 20 Cabins per cruise times 52 weeks that comes out to 1040 passengers he had to service and thats not including the spouse and kids.

Do you think that a cabin steward had room for the junk given to him from 1040 passengers? Nope. 99.2% of it goes into the round file.

Fred

A used shoe holder must be very appreciated by them.

I love it when people go out of their way to be nice on the boards :rolleyes:

In my situation the stewards asked if I was planning on taking it or leaving it so apparently some of them do use them or know someone that would like one or they probably wouldn't have asked~

Anything to bust chops on this board, amazing~

Trinkets?? What will they think up next? Walmart giftcards for the Captain!

No gift cards for the Captain. He gets the blender and coffee maker since he's the only one with a cabin large enough to store them.:D;)

Dianne

I love it when people go out of their way to be nice on the boards :rolleyes:

In my situation the stewards asked if I was planning on taking it or leaving it so apparently some of them do use them or know someone that would like one or they probably wouldn't have asked~

Anything to bust chops on this board, amazing~

I would think that if a cabin steward requested somthing like that, it doesn't fall into the same category as 'tipping' them with 'things'.

They asked you for it and you gave it to them....I wouldn't call that a tip or a gift. This is different than the poster nunu quoted who just leaves the shoe thing along with wrinkle release doncha think, which kinda does deserve busted chops because it's giving 'trash'.

If I had an item of clothing that I was going to toss or give to Goodwill or something and say, my DD asked if she could have it, I'd give it to her. I certainly wouldn't wrap it up and give it to her on her birthday though.

Do you see the difference here?

You don't think that he keeps that stuff do you. Guaranteed to go into the trash as the cabin is cleaned. They don't have room for the shoe holder and they don't do laundry, it is done for them.

I like to fold the tips origami style into little things.. Its like a tip and a trinket in one and always much appreciated.

Found out how to do it on the internet somewhere.

The cash is appreciated, the origami is nothing but a pain for them to deal with.

Archived