Trinkets for Cabin Steward

tammi0916

I'm not a fan of tipping in advance since I believe a tip is for services rendered but I don't mind tipping along the way if the cabin steward is good. We often start leaving tips daily on the second day of the cruise ($5 some days / $10 others).

I fold the bill lengthwise several times and tie it around a mini pkg of Skittles or some kind of candy - anything other than chocolate since it seems they have access to quite a bit of chocolate. I leave a note for them the first time with their name on it saying "have a nice day" or something like that. After the first time, no need for notes....they get it. LOL

I have seen that some people give their cabin steward "trinkets" from their home state. Can someone give me an example of things they have given?

And does it really help get better service?

These people are not children. They don't need "trinkets".

They live in very, very cramped quarters -- usually 4 to a room in the same size cabin or smaller. They live there for months at a time. There is only room for the most essential things they need for living aboard full time and being in cramped quarters. They have no room for trinkets or other souveniers.

The best thing to do for those who have helped make your vacation terrific is; leave the auto-tips in place and, for those who take care of your cabin or wait your tables, clean up after you and make sure your towels are fresh, lay the napkin in your lap and remember you like iced tea with dinner....is a few extra $$$ at the end of your cruise.\

As for service; the service level is the same for everyone....whether you tip or not, whether you smile and say "good morning" or not, whether your pleasant or grumpy. They are much too busy to pick and choose who gets good service and who doesn't.

Thanks for all the great info -

First I had always planned to hand out the cold hard cash

Second - I am not doing it for my self satisfaction, I was just trying to find out if there was something small that the steward might like so I could accommadate it.

I happen to really like to build a relationship with my steward and I feel they work extremely hard and really just was looking alittle something special to include with my extra tip!

Cash of course..that's been covered. But some of the better suggestions I've heard.

a) Ask them if they need anything from port. They don't get off ship much.

Basicaly, treat them like humans. Or ask if they'd like a plate of fruit from the Lido.

b) Small candies. Maybe something Asian like Ginger candies or Almond cookies. They can't take them back to their cabins to store.

Good green tea in bags might also be appreciated.

c) Take a photo of just them. Have several copies printed..so they can mail them back home to family.

Imagine you are from a country where the average person earns $45 a month. Would you rather have a coffee mug or the 5 bucks to send home? If you insist on something other than cold hard cash the post above has some reasonable suggestions.

One thing I'll be taking for my use next cruise is a automatic LED battery night light. Like one of these.

For the bathroom, so you don't wake your cabin mates or blind yourself in the middle of the night. I might just leave that for the steward after the trip. (Do the crew quarters for stewards even have bathrooms, or do they share a common one on the same deck?)

I leave cash in a thank you note for my room steward. I also tip for room service and they look at me like I am crazy, but are thankful. I also leave a dated note with my email address in the Bible, just to see if I might hear from someone. Everyone have a great trip...................

I don't bring trinkets, I leave the auto tips in place, and I ask if they need anything while I'm in port. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, but they seem to appreciate the thought.

For the ones we have picked something up for, it has always been easy to find and practical - shampoo, toothpaste, cute postcards and they have ALWAYS tried to pay us back - in cash. It's usualy like this -

"Oh, thank you. How much do I owe you."

"Nothing, please - you take such good care of us, it's the least we can do."

"Well, Thank you."

Takes no time - I'm shopping anyway. And it's something one human being does for another. I think simple consideration goes further than almost anything, it's simply the right thing to do. It's funny though our boys (who also ask - they think it's normal) get the fun requests - like pudding, slices of chocolate covered cheesecake, one asked for pictures of hot girls in bikinis - our son 17 at the time took about 50 pictures for the cabin guy and put them on a CD for him. Me I get the practical requests.:confused:

I have read through many of these posts - the last three cruises I have been on I always ask when I go ashore if there is anything that I can pick up for them. It has ALWAYS been nice - good chocolate. I will pick up the higher end chocolate for them and they have always been very appreciative, they have said that they take it home for their family as they never get the good stuff. Others say "they have access to all the chocolate that they want - those little things they put on your pillow" ever eat a MacDonald's burger for 200 days of the year - it gets tired very fast. That being said - I always leave on the auto tip and tip at the end as well. I was told by one steward that when I offered him money at the beginning he felt that I expected better service from him and that I would get what everyone else did - he was awesome - put me in my place but also at the same time told me that I did not have to give money up front.

One thing I'll be taking for my use next cruise is a automatic LED battery night light. Like one of these.

For the bathroom, so you don't wake your cabin mates or blind yourself in the middle of the night. I might just leave that for the steward after the trip. (Do the crew quarters for stewards even have bathrooms, or do they share a common one on the same deck?)

They have a bathroom attached to their cabin.

I have seen that some people give their cabin steward "trinkets" from their home state. Can someone give me an example of things they have given?

And does it really help get better service?

They live in a tiny room, work 12 hours a day. They have no room for "stuff".

Cash is the best option.

Your attendant has to share a cabin that is smaller than any passenger cabin...they don't have room for "trinkets'! Give them money! That way, they can buy all the 'trinkets' they want (if they want them!!!)

I know you think it's personal and nice, but money is nicer, and that's what they're working for, after all!

I always take a nitelight for the bathroom on a cruise. Just a simple $1.00 one will do. But I use one that comes on when it gets dark, not one that senses movement. If it's already on at night and you just leave the bathroom door cracked a little, you can easily find your way to the bathroom. If it is a motion sensor one, then you would have to get to the bathroom in the dark before it comes on.

Second - I am not doing it for my self satisfaction, I was just trying to find out if there was something small that the steward might like so I could accommadate it.

I happen to really like to build a relationship with my steward and I feel they work extremely hard and really just was looking alittle something special to include with my extra tip!

With an extra big tip they can buy what they want/need and appreciate it even more......

On our last cruise out room attendant was outstanding. This was on RCI what I did was prepay the tips and then give him a envelope with a extra $20.00 in it after he thanked me I asked if he could do me a small favor. he said yes I will, I then gave him a another $20.00 and asked him the next time he got home if he would take the Money and buy his daughter something special from me. This was the best money i spent on the cruise.

Im just curious how many of you folks give trinkets to your waiters? or bar-tenders?

I just have a visual of some of you folks at a gentlemans club trying to slide a travel alarm clock down her thong.... :eek:

I just dont get it. We would never tip a waiter trinkets why would we think to tip a steward with such items?

*ps my post isnt a slam i just honestly dont get it :confused:

Im just curious how many of you folks give trinkets to your waiters? or bar-tenders?

I just have a visual of some of you folks at a gentlemans club trying to slide a travel alarm clock down her thong.... :eek:

I just dont get it. We would never tip a waiter trinkets why would we think to tip a steward with such items?

*ps my post isnt a slam i just honestly dont get it :confused:

Straight and to the point:D

First, I'm betting they want cold hard cash. The other VERY personal thing you could do that they would really appreciate, would be to write a nice THANK YOU note to them AND let them know you are going to send a note to Carnival (or the front desk or someone in authority) about how much you appreciated their hard work and how terrific they were. This kind of thing really does count and they get recognition for being singled out by their customers.

for our last cruise, and something we are going to start doing, we get little gift bags from a party supply store. Put about 3 - 4 pcs of candy in them and a dollar bill. we give 1 or 2 to each person that does something special ie... room service, room stewards, bar waiters that are special, photographers that take special interest, etc.

just a thought.

How abount a small basket or state coffee mug with cash and hersey hugs & kisses!

Do the math. If everyone followed your idea and if each attendant did 20 cabins per weekly cruise for 6 months, at the end of 6 months, they would have 480 mugs. What in the world would they do with 480 mugs - have a mug sale? Perhaps they could have a mug exchange where they traded mugs they did not want for more valuable mugs.

I could continue and figure out the volume that the 480 mugs would take in their limited cabin space but this would be difficult because you need to figure out how closely they can be packed together.

Finally, what do you expect that they will do with their 480 mugs at the end of their stint when they go home - pack them into a suitcase and take them home.

Did you bother to figure this out before you made this suggestion?

The same math applies to any other piece of junk that you give them.

There is only one thing that they want and appreciate - money and respect.

DON

Consider me cynical but do you really think that your steward wants to have a relationship with you. He or she is doing a job and that includes keep your cabin clean and being polite to you. At the end of the week, you disappear and he/she has to deal with someone else who feels guilty about having someone serve him.

I definitely agree that they work very hard and are not well paid (although they may be well paid in terms of their local economy) so if you need to feel guilty, cash does wonders to assuage the guilt.

DON

Well, let's think about this. When you stay in a hotel do you tip in trinkets for the room, the bellman, the doorman, the cocktail waitress, valet, or anyone else. No.

Does anyone give a cabbie or shuttle driver candy, t-shirts, trinkets...I don't think so.

Now if you stay with friends or family you might leave a gift..but never cash.

See..people are confusing cruise help with family or friends.

Archived