Lower Price for Early Final Payment on Princess Cruise

Sapphire73

We just saved over $400 on our Sapphire Princess cruise to Alaska by making the final payment now (about 2 weeks early). Not sure whether this option shows up on the Princess website or not. Our travel agent (through a large online agency) just happened to mention it when we called about something today.

This is our first cruise in quite a few years, so this may be something quite common (and even expected), but thought I'd mention it here in case it helps someone.

I haven't heard of an early payment discount on any of the cruise lines I've been on. However, I know my mom used to get a small discount (maybe 5%) on Crystal (I think) for paying off the cruise ~ 6 months in advance.

Prices dropped on my Holland America cruise just before final payment last year, and I switched cabins to save money.

I don't claim to understand it, but my new confirmation is definitely $400 lower than it was before. The travel agent told someone else traveling in our group that it was a discount for making the final payment early. I asked him specifically if it was an agency discount or a Princess fare drop, and he said it was the price Princess gave him today. If there is another drop before April 15th (when our payment was due) we are supposed to get that if we call. So who knows....

I don't claim to understand it, but my new confirmation is definitely $400 lower than it was before. The travel agent told someone else traveling in our group that it was a discount for making the final payment early. I asked him specifically if it was an agency discount or a Princess fare drop, and he said it was the price Princess gave him today. If there is another drop before April 15th (when our payment was due) we are supposed to get that if we call. So who knows....

It was a fare drop - so keep checking prices in the next 2.5 weeks.

If there is another drop before April 15th (when our payment was due) we are supposed to get that if we call. So who knows....

I suggest, you, keep track of pricing trends right up to final payment day.

Going to echo the fare drop sentiment here. Depending on what category you booked and what cruise, I noticed that while watching our own cruise fares there was a significant decrease in the fares for certain categories of rooms . . . and those same categories that I've been watching for 3 mos also are back up close to where they were in January.

Glad you were able to save the $!

Going to echo the fare drop sentiment here. Depending on what category you booked and what cruise, I noticed that while watching our own cruise fares there was a significant decrease in the fares for certain categories of rooms . . . and those same categories that I've been watching for 3 mos also are back up close to where they were in January.

Glad you were able to save the $!

We had not received any of the earlier price breaks except for the early January fare drop that someone here alerted us to, so it was nice to save a bit.

I had hoped that my posting might help someone else....

called the cruiseline and no go for us.

One possibility, I guess, is that the travel agency is offering this incentive to encourage to people to make that final payment.

I am going to take Budget Queen's advice and keep a close eye on any discounts on Princess over the next two weeks, just in case there is a further drop in price for our category BB room.

If anyone else booked a Princess cruise through an online travel agency (that specializes in vacations and contains two words that spell the name of a country near Ghana), you could try calling to see if you get an early payment discount through the agency. Am I allowed to hint at the name of an agency like this? If not, I will edit this message....

Archived