CENTURY..Sanitation inspection score of 79

gwrod

[quote name='dkjretired']The rumors about the balconies are a couple of years old, I think they are well before Horizon leaving the fleet rumors. The Horizon situation is being fueled by the web site only showing cruises up until I believe Oct. 05.[/QUOTE]They've both been floating around for a long time. Certainly there was some truth to the balcony rumor - that is, Celebrity were obviously considering building balconies as they did after all install that "test" balcony.

The HORIZON and ZENITH leaving-the-fleet rumors are much older than the latest HORIZON rumor though; as I said they've been floating around for at least three years. There may have been some truth to these too - I was told probably about two years ago that their departure was imminent by a very well-connected cruise industry "somebody" (not somebody who works for RCI, but a somebody who knows everybody who is anybody in the cruise business). I'm sure they'll leave eventually but at this point I'll believe it when I see it.

As for CENTURY, who knows. Adding balconies, stretching, all this is possible - look at the ENCHANTMENT OF THE SEAS stretching. But will it happen, and if so, when? There's no way to know until it's announced or at least until it comes from a reliable source (no, your assistant waiter is [i]not[/i] a reliable source ;) ).

I have been a Foodservice Director, and that is a BAD report, with numerous violations. Amazing that the score could deteriorate so much, with previous years being so high...

The insects are not even the worst part, only 3 points deducted for that... temperature violations were numerous, and a consistent theme with deteriorating surfaces being difficult to clean.

Yikes, I'm glad this is not my kitchen!

I just looked at the CDC website . Sure enough there it was . The Century with a failing score!
[url]http://www2.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/VSPresult.asp?lstShip2=ALL_SHIPS&rtoInspDate=Most_Recent_Date&txtBdate=12%2F10%2F2002&rtoScore=%3C%3D+85&lstSort=ship_name[/url]

Doug. There was a discussion last night in the Cruise Critic Cruise Cafe about Horizon and possibly Zenith leaving the fleet. A new ship will take a couple of years to bring online. Would Celebrity want to reduce capacity in the meantime? Although smaller, aren't there a couple of the Renn ships still on the market or idle? To loose the service of one or both of these great ships will certainly effect the Bermuda runs. And if rumors are correct, how many loyal Celebrity cruisers will accept 110 to 120,000 ton ships? If in fact the H&Z are to leave the fleet in the forseeable future, purchasing ships that are relatively new seems logical. What happened to the ships of First European? Will be on Horizon in Feb again.

Just having returned from Century I will say that those of us who sailed her in the past might not have the same warm and fuzzy feeling after a current cruise.
I heard it said several times by people who were great Century fans that they didn't think they would sail her again, myself included.

I did not know about the report on my first portion o f the b2b. I do know one of the Penthouses was not up to snuff per the occupants who were also on b2b with me. And I do know that all the milk I was served in the little cartons, either at the buffet or in cabin, were not anywhere near cold. I did think that strange. They were more lukewarm. For this reason I stopped eating the cereal and just went with croissants from room service.

It's not ony the CDC scores X needs to worry about on Century, but also a fall in the degree of service provided. While MOST of the staff is upbeat, positive and competent, the ones who aren't are very evident. I was lied to by dinng room staff, dissed (as the kinds say) by the Captains Club Hostess and generally not treated well by several staff members. This is not just me, others reported the same and worse. I know there are to be quite a few letters sent about the disappointments experienced. It will be interesting to see if replies are recieved and what they say.

Gail

[quote name='hdawson']Although smaller, aren't there a couple of the Renn ships still on the market or idle?[/QUOTE]All the Ren ships are taken.

[quote name='hdawson']If in fact the H&Z are to leave the fleet in the forseeable future, purchasing ships that are relatively new seems logical.[/QUOTE]There's really nothing suitable on the market right now - and I doubt that there will be any time soon. So it will have to be newbuilds, unless they want to transfer RADIANCE-class ships from RCI or something like that.

[quote name='hdawson']What happened to the ships of First European?[/QUOTE]MISTRAL has just been sold to the Spanish tour operator [url=http://cruceros.iberojet.es]Iberojet[/url] and will become IBEROSTAR MISTRAL. EUROPEAN VISION and STARS are with MSC as MSC ARMONIA and SINFONIA respectively.

Tuggers: Oh no, not another rude Capatin's Circle Hostess on Century. We were on her last May and had the Hostess from hell. Do you know what her name was on your cruise?

If it is the same lady we had I am going no where near her or the parties. In a nutshell she told us our son was not welcome aboard Celebrity. We had went to her to book our next cruise while our son (5 years old) was in the Fun Factory. She did not know we were frequent cruisers (had not got to our names yet) or that we had our son aboard. She basically told us that there were "too many" Captian's Circle folks aboard. Since the club stopped charging there just "let everyone" join. Implying if you were not Elite or Select Members (which we are) you are not worthy and a waste of time. To add insult to injury after that inspiring speech, she proceeded to tell us "all the ships are full" in Jan 2005. We were looking for a Cat 3 or higher room so we would have plenty of room for our son. Not only would this be impossible (yeah right-we're in a Cat 3 on Century on Jan 29th), but Celebrity was really not the place to bring our son. We left furious :mad: and left without booking a cruise for the first time EVER.

When we returned home I wrote a review of the cruise. The staff was fabulous and our son had a fantastic time! We are hoping to have our same waiter this cruise, he and our son were instant buddies. I mentioned briefly our run in with the Hostess in my review. I got several replies that others were treated the same way by the Hostess. After that, I wrote Celebrity about what happened. I got back the most obviously canned letter ever written. It answered none of my questions. I found out the Hostess had went to another ship so at least she would not be my problem anymore.

I will admit we cruised another line this fall. We were really upset about the Hostess and the canned letter. We decided to get over it and booked Century for January. Then comes the failing CDC score. Now if I find out that Hostess is back I'm gonna scream!

What was so different that you would not go back to Century?

Rene

Tuggers. Please tell me what was wrong with the penthouse suite. We are scheduled to be in 1049 penthouse suite in May and if there are problems we may cancel. Those rooms cost too much to take chances. Was the interactive TV system functioning? Any other input would be great. Thanks!

The penthouse I was referring to was 1048. you could look up rubyslippers and ask her.

Century in June was Mahalea. Not good. She is now on Horizon or was a month ago. Not much improvement to my way of thinking. This one was Amanda and she was getting off the ship. No word on where she was going (Carnival if I get to choose!). Tiffany was to be new one and was quite nice, bubbly, upbeat. Liked her.

Interactive TV was off for everyone on 11/27. I think this is right and about 400 cabins were out on 12/4. I never had it even though I changed rooms. Two weeks of asking what my bill was. Also no pay per view for those interested.

Dorin, asst matre' d was horrible. Doing dining assignements and could have cared less if we were happy. Have about 7 witnesses to that.

Amanda was downright rude. Left me sitting at her desk when her hours were up. Just took her stuff and left. She was closed. Yes, we were in the middle of something!

Phototog never showed up for 12/4 party. We finally moved chairs and took our own photo at 12:15 so we could go to lunch!

Hey Gail, Welcome back. Sorry about that social hostess. I thought Amanda had a nice smile but was shallow inside. Did you keep the martini bar seats warm and think of me. I agree I love Celebrity but the Century was just not right the week we sailed with you. The T pool water was cold at least 3 days that week. No where near the temp of 98 degrees that we were told it was supposed to be. This was the first time I ever had to carry my tray to my table at the buffet. Very few times were there someone to do that for me. Also when I wanted another cup of coffee my tongue would hang out waiting for someone to refill it for me. Our next two trips will be on Constellation, here's hoping it is better. Nice sailing with you. Pat

hdawson,

You are correct. Century has always been 'a state of mind' ship. It wasn't just the ship it was the warm and fuzzy you got being on her. While there is some of that still evident, it is waning. The family feel between passengers and crew is just not the same.

However, until you hear from others, this is just my opinion and you know what those are!

Pat,

Second week was about the same, even to the t-pool! Only difference was the abundance of lousy filets! People were sending them back. They had so much grizzle and tendon you couldn't cut some of them. Mine was fine but some people gave up after the 2nd was bad!

Loved sailing with you and your crew! Hope we can do it again!

Gail

[quote name='tuggers']I don't know how to search on here for a person but she posts on the 12/4 Century rollcall. Her name is Pat. Try looking there. Sorry can't give you more.
She was in 1048 on that cruise.[/QUOTE]
[font=Times New Roman][size=3]Go to Search and click on Advanced Search. On the right, you’ll see a column for “search by user name”. Type in her name. Under the search options, check the “show the results as… “posts”, and enter. That’s all there is to it. She's still posting on the Century 12/4 thread, and in fact, posted yesterday.[/size][/font]
[font=Times New Roman][size=3][/size][/font]
[font=Times New Roman][size=3]Good luck, olectric!;) [/size][/font]
[font=Times New Roman][size=3]Garry[/size][/font]
[font=Times New Roman][size=3] [/size][/font]

Archived