Ketchikan excursion help

pbk917

We are a family of 3 (mom,dad & 12yo daughter) cruising Alaska this summer. Any suggestions of tours other than helicopter/seaplane flights? We love to see nature & history. Shopping is also an option if all else fails.

On our cruise in June, we did a combined Totem Bight/Saxman Village tour to see the Totem poles ,that we booked independently through Sourdough Tours. Totem Bight, in particular, is located in beautiful surroundings in the rain forest. Our tour guide was wonderful -- a native of Ketchikan, with lots of historical information about the town.

We went 1st to Totem Bight, then to Saxman Village, and concluded with a trip to Dolly's House on Creek Street. We then had time to walk back to the ship and shop on the way. Our family really enjoyed it.

Once you've ruled out a flight to the Mistys, I would strongly consider a kayaking trip in Ketchikan...if your interest tends more to the nature side. Many here prefer Southeast Sea Kayaks' Orca Cove tour. It maxes out at 6 people, so it is far more intimate than the cruise-booked tours. We ended up with just the 2 of us and the guide, so it was fantastic. A quick shuttle ride takes you a few islands away from the busyness of the tourist areas. After that point, it was complete solitude with not another kayak in sight. We had king salmon jumping all around us and bald eagles flying overhead. There were 2 bald eagles sitting on a log on the beach...we paddled right up to them. After the kayaking, they serve up a snack (which for 2 people is a full meal) of smoked salmon, cheese, crackers, grapes, etc. If you're fully abled, I'd say the trip is not particularly physically demanding...particularly with a small group where you end up setting the pace yourself.

For native culture, your best bet is Totem Bight or Saxman.

There are certainly things to do on your own in town -- walking along Creek St., Totem Heritage Center, Salmon Hatchery, watching the happening at the fish ladder if during the salmon run, etc. -- but we were definitely glad that we treated this as an add-on to our kayaking experience rather than doing it for the bulk of the day.

In ketchikan I did the flightseeing with island wings, but I met a woman on my ship who did the orca cove kayaking and claimed it was her favorite excursion of the whole cruise. I LOVED misty fjords, but wish I could have done both.

We took a private tour with Lois. Her web site is classictours.com She was great! She took us out of the town to a place where we were among 30 to 40 eagles all around us. She lives there and we enjoyed all the history and insiders point of view! She meets you right on the dock. She is very easy to work with! We still email each other! Pam

Classic Tours has been getting rave reviews on CC for a long time. Another relatively new thing in Ketchikan is the "duck" tour (similar to those in Boston, Seattle,Halifax and now even St Maarten!). Southeast Kayak also has a closer in kayaking tour to Pennock Island which isn't as long for those with a shorter port call who want some time in town although Orca Cove is much much better IMHO only.

We went on the canoe/rainforest adventure. A bus took us to Harriot Hunt lake where we boarded a 12? person canoe. It was beautiful. Canoed around the lake. Stopped for a short walk in the rainforest and to pee in the woods. Then there was a "snack", clam chowder, smoked salmon, crackers, rolls, jam. Back to the canoe and to our starting point. The guides were young girls and guys who were great with the kids. Told indian stories and taught us songs along the way.

We booked through NCL but I've seen this through other ships also.

Archived