Traveling with an picky 8yr old food advise.

You shouldn't have a problem at all. Your daughter can pick something from the children's menu............hot dog, chicken nuggets, mac & cheese, pasta, etc. Burgers & Hot dogs are served plain, with condiments on the side, if requested.

Karen

Im Sailing with Carnival Dream Oct 15, 09 my little girl like everything plain, cheeseburgers, chicken nuggets and corn dogs. We are first time cruisers...do you think I will have problem with food for her?

I have one of the pickiest kids known and believe me she did not go hungry on our cruise. If they do bring your daughter something she doesn't like she can always ask for something else.

We cruised on the Celebrity Constellation this past January. Our first evening in the main dining room, the assistant Maitre de came to our table and asked what our 2 & 3 yr old liked. He wanted to know what items they would like to see on the kid's menu. It was great! He said if they don't have the item, they can get it in a port. (It was a 10 night cruise.) Every other night, he stopped back to see if we needed anything else for the kids.

It doesn't have to be a child. LOL I am a picky eater too. I usually end up at dinner and just get a salad, because I don't like the entrees to choose from. I order a different entree that my husband wants as a second choice to eat. Then afterwards we go to the lido deck for me. LOL Never thought of ordering off the childs menu for me. Hmmmmmmm

Hello,

This is not about food specifically but about going on a cruise with an 8 year old.

You have got to get them involved, that is, show them the brochures and get a DVD on the ship you are sailing. Tell them that it is a big adventure, with different food, all kinds of people, and lots to see and do. Appeal to their sense of growing up... that they understand that this is a new experience for you and that you do not have all the answers. The kids should also know that in order for everyone to have a great time, they will have to do their best to have a great time. And it might help to talk about some of the ports and especially ports where you tender so that they get at least some idea of the places you will visit.

Our children were 11 and 6 when they went on a cruise with us. They are grown now but we always have fun remembering when the ice cream blew off the ice cream cone my 6 year old son was holding (we were standing outside on deck, and it was windy. My son was surprised and then he started to laugh. We went to the buffet to get another one and that made him laugh even more.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

We traveled with our then 10 year old who was very picky about food. He ordered a hamburger at dinner every night. Every night I tried to convince him to order the plain chicken breast. Finally on the last night he tried it, looked at me and said "Why didn't you tell me I would like that!". We still laugh about it now - 7 years later. There is lots of stuff for picky eaters. The above posters are right!

• 3 weeks later...
Im Sailing with Carnival Dream Oct 15, 09 my little girl like everything plain, cheeseburgers, chicken nuggets and corn dogs. We are first time cruisers...do you think I will have problem with food for her?

we travelled with our Picky 8 year old on the Carnival Glory in January.

He did not complain once about food! Just when he was hungry and wanted more!!!!!

Enjoy your trip and make sure she experiences Camp Carinval!! she is a wonderful age.

we will be on the Dream in January!

Our youngest had the problem of being not only a picky eater but not eating anything that you couldn't/wouldn't put ketchup on. He was soooo worried the first night when his hot dog came out with out ketchup on it. It was soon rectified by our waiter and every night after that he had a side of ketchup waiting for him when he got to the table. Luckily as he's gotten older he's been better about it and has even moved on and explored the wonderfullness of Barbeque Sauce.:rolleyes:

Archived