Question about QM2 planetarium

Abby Ruth

We're on the April 20 trans-Atlantic crossing from Southampton on the QM2. I was wondering about the planetarium. Are reservations needed? If so, do I need to make a reservation ahead of time or can I wait until we're on board?

Hi Gail,

The planetarium is ticket only but can't be booked in advance. The tickets are available each day for that days shows from connexions (or the concierge, if you're in a P or Q grade cabin). Check your daily programme for the times.

Have a great trip, Colin.

We're on the April 20 trans-Atlantic crossing from Southampton on the QM2. I was wondering about the planetarium. Are reservations needed? If so, do I need to make a reservation ahead of time or can I wait until we're on board?

The tickets are normally available as stated at Connexions from 9am, there are usually 3 or 4 shows each day and I feel that most people get to see the show that they wish to.

When I went early in the morning 9 to 10, I would get the show I wanted. If I went early afternoon, their were some times that were no more available but still had tickets for other times.

The 4 shows are presented 4 times the same day and, on the last day of the crossing, they had only 1 presentation of every show. If you missed one, you could see it the last day but the tickets were harder to get that day.

I've attended the QM2's planetarium shows on both transatlantics I've taken. While they were interesting and nicely done, I was surprised and disappointed that --except for vague seasonal references -- there was no attempt to discuss the night sky conditions occurring on the actual dates of the voyage. This is particularly disappointing because, in the middle of the Atlantic, the night sky is so spectacular with the total lack of "city glow."

It would add greatly to the shows if an officer trained in celestial navigation (which I think they all are) could make some brief introductory remarks about the upcoming night's sky conditions, visible constellations, etc., and then segue into the standard show (which is recorded and not hosted, at least as of September 2008). As long as Cunard has a planetarium on the QM2, they should make the most of it.

It would add greatly to the shows if an officer trained in celestial navigation (which I think they all are) could make some brief introductory remarks about the upcoming night's sky conditions, visible constellations, etc., and then segue into the standard show (which is recorded and not hosted, at least as of September 2008). As long as Cunard has a planetarium on the QM2, they should make the most of it.

You should write to Cunard with the suggestion, I think it makes good sense.

Archived