Whale watching question

Tvisitor

I have never done a whale watching excursion in Cabo, but have been there 2 times for a week each during the season. I have, also, been in Hawaii during whale season, and in my opinion time of the day is not critcal. When the whales are there they are there, and they surface all day and all night. Last time we were in Cabo was December 2000. We were on the highway coming back from Todos los santos (sp?) north of Cabo, and the whales were not suppossed to be there yet, and we watched them all afternoon from the roads and the beaches. When we got back to Cabo we told the operators that we had been watching them all day, they said we couldn't have because they weren't there yet! Too funny. Obviously, you can watch them better from a boat than the shore, but there was no doubt that the west coast that day had the first of the seasons migration! The next day the operator at our resort was offering whale watching trips! :D

jc

I agree there is no certain time to see whales it is just a matter of luck. I have been on several whales watches in Hawaii, two in Alaska and the most recent excursion in Cabo turned into a whale watch. We were just in Cabo 2 weeks ago and took the Deluxe Coastal Cruise offered on the Ryndam, what was suppose to be sort of a booze cruise turned into a wonderful whale watch. We had not been more than 20 minutes out and they spotted Blue Whales. This was a surprise for everyone especially the crew of the boat. Whales do not normally appear till later December into January. We followed at least 2 pods of whales for the next 2 hours. We were so close and so many flukes. It was just as good as the whales watches we went on in Alaska. This particular cruise left at 1:30 in the afternoon and we were the last tender to get back on the ship at 4 PM.

I am sure what ever time it is you will have fun and hopefully will see lots of whales.

Archived