2009/2010: Ionian/Venice to Rome, ?'s, Options/Comparisons?

TLCOhio

We are looking at either the 2009 or 2010 "Ionian Inspiration" cruise on the Nautica for twelve days from Rome to Venice, hitting such places as Dubrovnik, Kotor, Corfu, Taormina, Amalfi Coast, Cinque Terre, Portofino, etc.

Our only two previous cruises have been in 2006 on Seabourn for Greek Isles/Turkish Coast, Athens to Istanbul and last summer on Crystal for the Baltics and Russia. Loved both! Different sized ships, but both had excellent service, nice ships and staff, great fellow passengers, etc. Two key areas of questions and comparison:

1. SHIP DIFFERENCES?: Due to my supposed snoring, we need two single rooms to make my wife happy and rested. The Oceania rooms being smaller, are, therefore, not a problem for our needs and can work well in the more basic level for our budget. Food service seems very good on all three ship lines with Oceania, like Crystal, having more specialized dining options than what is offered with Seabourn. Doing so many ports, this makes any limitations on Oceania evening "entertainment" less of a concern or question. The country club casual is a nice plus with Oceania. For the summer in the Med, my assumption is that on these three lines, the customer base/mix is going to be about the same for these rough comparison purposes. What I am missing or what should be compared and considered for such an analysis? Any other pro or con "surprises" that are being missed or not considered on Oceania versus Crystal and Seabourn for these ports in the Med?

2. THESE MEDITERRANEAN PORTS?: We have done many parts of Italy by land, including Tuscany and the Amalfi Coast. We really want to see Portofino, Cinque Terre, Sicily, Croatian Coast. Those are top priorities in looking at this cruise option. Haven't done Pisa/Lucca. There's always more to see and explore around the Amalfi Coast, in Venice and nearby to Monte Carlo in some of the smaller vilages. Have done Eze previously and loved it. We like lots of ports and have been told that visiting Portofino and Cinque Terre is by ship, rather than trying it via land. Are there any other factors to consider on this cruise and its many prime ports? From those of you who have done this cruise, does this timing in the ports work pretty well? What's your top favorites and absolutely loves that you would suggest focusing most for this cruise option on Oceania?

Appreciate all of your comparisons, suggestions and feed-back. Or, any other “words of wisdom” for a first-timer on Oceania!

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

We have never sailed Crystal or Seabourn so will that comparison up to those that have

I am just thinking I wonder if sharing an OS or VS would work for you?

Your spouse could have the bedroom & you the sofabed but it would be more spacious than 2 cabins at the single supplement price usually 200%

Lyn

We have never sailed Crystal or Seabourn so will that comparison up to those that have I am just thinking I wonder if sharing an OS or VS would work for you? Your spouse could have the bedroom & you the sofabed but it would be more spacious than 2 cabins at the single supplement price usually 200%. Lyn

For 2009, the added single cost is now 125% versus 150% in 2010. That's much better on the single upcharge compared to their normal 200% that Oceania has done in previous years. These single costs on smaller outside rooms would be much less than trying to do an OS or VS, especially since things are so port intensive for this cruise. Having a larger suite is not, in my view, as important on this type of cruise where there are no sea days.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

These single costs on smaller outside rooms would be much less than trying to do an OS or VS, especially since things are so port intensive for this cruise. Having a larger suite is not, in my view, as important on this type of cruise where there are no sea days.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

It was just a thought

I usually look at all the options & the bottom line

Enjoy whatever you choose

Lyn

They both look great, and both have pros and cons. Not that I've been everywhere, all the ports, but some. On the Azamara side, Geiranger would be a big incentive, and Alesund, whereas Oslo not so much (not that it's not a really nice city.) Scrabster I looked up, and is right by Thurso, which is right up at the very northern tip of Scotland--I've been there in fact, and it's beautiful, but in a bleak way, if you know what I mean. On the Oceania side, there's Oban, in the west highlands, which lends itself to a trip out to the island of Mull and Iona. Also a day in Amsterdam which is nice if you haven't been there, Amsterdam is a wonderful city.

Just my two cents based on my knowledge of the ports.

We are looking at either the 2009 or 2010 "Ionian Inspiration" cruise on the Nautica for twelve days from Rome to Venice, hitting such places as Dubrovnik, Kotor, Corfu, Taormina, Amalfi Coast, Cinque Terre, Portofino, etc.

Our only two previous cruises have been in 2006 on Seabourn for Greek Isles/Turkish Coast, Athens to Istanbul and last summer on Crystal for the Baltics and Russia. Loved both! Different sized ships, but both had excellent service, nice ships and staff, great fellow passengers, etc. Two key areas of questions and comparison:

1. SHIP DIFFERENCES?: Due to my supposed snoring, we need two single rooms to make my wife happy and rested. The Oceania rooms being smaller, are, therefore, not a problem for our needs and can work well in the more basic level for our budget. Food service seems very good on all three ship lines with Oceania, like Crystal, having more specialized dining options than what is offered with Seabourn. Doing so many ports, this makes any limitations on Oceania evening "entertainment" less of a concern or question. The country club casual is a nice plus with Oceania. For the summer in the Med, my assumption is that on these three lines, the customer base/mix is going to be about the same for these rough comparison purposes. What I am missing or what should be compared and considered for such an analysis? Any other pro or con "surprises" that are being missed or not considered on Oceania versus Crystal and Seabourn for these ports in the Med?

2. THESE MEDITERRANEAN PORTS?: We have done many parts of Italy by land, including Tuscany and the Amalfi Coast. We really want to see Portofino, Cinque Terre, Sicily, Croatian Coast. Those are top priorities in looking at this cruise option. Haven't done Pisa/Lucca. There's always more to see and explore around the Amalfi Coast, in Venice and nearby to Monte Carlo in some of the smaller vilages. Have done Eze previously and loved it. We like lots of ports and have been told that visiting Portofino and Cinque Terre is by ship, rather than trying it via land. Are there any other factors to consider on this cruise and its many prime ports? From those of you who have done this cruise, does this timing in the ports work pretty well? What's your top favorites and absolutely loves that you would suggest focusing most for this cruise option on Oceania?

Appreciate all of your comparisons, suggestions and feed-back. Or, any other “words of wisdom” for a first-timer on Oceania!

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

We did this cruise last October on Oceania and loved it.We have also done one Seabourn cruise and found Oceania very comparable except that the fact that drinks (alcoholic and sodas) are not included. The food was fabulous in the specialty restaurants as well as the MDR - think that I ate lobster the first 5 nights in a row. Liked country club casual. Really liked the size of the ship. You are correct that the entertainment is lacking but we didn't really miss it as there weren't any sea days.My choice would be to start in Venice as we had the most beautiful sail away.

Re ports We really enjoyed Dubrovnik (walked the wall), Montenegro wasn't so great, on Corfu my husband a a friend rented scooters (ok on a sunday but perhaps not when traffic is busy) and the rest found a taxi for an island tour) . We missed taking the train to Cinque Terre due to a general strike- very disappointing- but enjoyed LaSpezia. We did Florence on your Own but our friends took the ship's tour to Sienna and Lucca and enjoyed it. We went to Genoa and only spent a short time in Portofino. We stopped in Corsica instead of Monte Carlo - Monaco is likely a better choice .The time and timing in ports was good.

Haven't been on Crystal so can't compare but if I was to do the same cruise again am sure that I would go with Oceania

We did this cruise last October on Oceania and loved it.We have also done one Seabourn cruise and found Oceania very comparable except that the fact that drinks (alcoholic and sodas) are not included. The food was fabulous in the specialty restaurants as well as the MDR - think that I ate lobster the first 5 nights in a row. Liked country club casual. Really liked the size of the ship. You are correct that the entertainment is lacking but we didn't really miss it as there weren't any sea days.My choice would be to start in Venice as we had the most beautiful sail away.

Re ports We really enjoyed Dubrovnik (walked the wall), Montenegro wasn't so great, on Corfu my husband a a friend rented scooters (ok on a sunday but perhaps not when traffic is busy) and the rest found a taxi for an island tour) . We missed taking the train to Cinque Terre due to a general strike- very disappointing- but enjoyed LaSpezia. We did Florence on your Own but our friends took the ship's tour to Sienna and Lucca and enjoyed it. We went to Genoa and only spent a short time in Portofino. We stopped in Corsica instead of Monte Carlo - Monaco is likely a better choice .The time and timing in ports was good.

Haven't been on Crystal so can't compare but if I was to do the same cruise again am sure that I would go with Oceania

THANKS for the feed-back and comments! Very helpful. Terry in Ohio

I agree with Eden, Terry. I love Oceania for it's port-intensive itineraries and Crystal for the sea days. If you enjoyed Crystal, then you'll love Oceania for it's great-food and (almost) no-smoking policy. I'll be on Nautica and Symphony this year.

Archived