Alaska cruise out of Vancouver

here2cruise

We are going to be in Vancouver 2 days before the cruise and are staying at the Pan Pacific. We are trying to figure out things to do while we are there. Any ideas? Someone had mentioned the hop on & hop off bus, but am wondering if there is a site I can go to so that we can see all the stops it makes. we are also thinking of taking a seaplane and are hoping that is an option for us. Any ideas on what kinds of things to do with be much appreciated!

I would suggest the following: a city tour of Vancouver (we are doing vancouvertours.com), a day or overnight trip to Victoria, or go visit Stanley Park. Victoria is really pretty but it takes a little while to get to so you may want to overnight there. Just some suggestions...

One of the best tour we have taken there and we have done a few is the day tour to Victoria and Butchart Gardens.

The ferry trip over there is just magnificent and worth the price of the tour itself. Victoria is also just outstanding from a tourist view point. The gardens, its Butchart Gardens one of the very best.

Also did one other I might bring up little costly but a wow. Tour bus up day to explore Whistler and the Mountaineer RR back. We went first class and it was as exceptional as the scenery was magnificent.

But anything you do in Vancouver will be fun and expensive but you already know that your staying at the Pan Pacific.

Have fun.

Jack

for the

A day trip to Victoria that includes Butchart Gardens is well worth the time and expense. On our first time in Vancouver, we enjoyed experiencing the Capilano Suspension Bridge, and some have suggested a visit to Grouse Mountain. Stanley and Queen Elizabeth Parks are beautiful and worth a visit. Vancouver offers a lot to see and do and we always try to add on a few days there when we are getting on or off a cruise. We will probably book two days in Vancouver to follow our June 2010 cruisetour on Radiance of the Seas. Last time we did an Alaska cruise we stayed at the Pan Pacific afterward and were very pleased with it, although we were on a floor that was being renovated and there was a slight smell of fresh paint when you got off the elevator. It wasn't objectionable enough to ask to be moved.:)

I am not discounting a trip to Victoria but it is a very long and full day, upwards of 4 hrs in either direction, unless you go by float plane at a cost of about $250 pp rtn. I genuinely believe that if you only have 2 days in Vancouver...you will be kept busy.

What you're missing is that Butchart Gardens is not free; I believe the current entrance fee for adults is $28.00. I'm presuming that the $179 you are referring to is for a tour; so you're paying for the tour bus to take you from downtown Vancouver onto the ferry and then to Butchart's; plus a drive by tour of Victoria.

We have always enjoyed the seaquarium in Stanley Park. They have an under water viewing area where you can get a good look at the Beluga whales. Grenville Island is another place that you can go, it is an ecclectic mix of shops selling everything from blown glass to clothing. In my opinion the hop on hop off is good value and will stop within walking distance of these places. Grouse Mountain has a cable to the top where you may want to have dinner with the vista of the city at night. There is another area called Gastown that has street performers (in warmer weather) and a very interesting steam powered clock that goes off on the hour (it might on thehalf hour as well). You can also get a horse drawn buggy ride around the park.

We are going to be in Vancouver 2 days before the cruise and are staying at the Pan Pacific. We are trying to figure out things to do while we are there. Any ideas? Someone had mentioned the hop on & hop off bus, but am wondering if there is a site I can go to so that we can see all the stops it makes. we are also thinking of taking a seaplane and are hoping that is an option for us. Any ideas on what kinds of things to do with be much appreciated!

Sorry you kind of got lost in the shuffle:o .... here are links to the HOHO shuttles in Vancouver. Hope you have a great time.

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/

http://www.bigbus.ca/

I am not discounting a trip to Victoria but it is a very long and full day, upwards of 4 hrs in either direction, unless you go by float plane at a cost of about $250 pp rtn. I genuinely believe that if you only have 2 days in Vancouver...you will be kept busy.

I agree. Love Buchardt Gardens and have been there several times, but it makes for a full (and very long day). I'd spend the time in Vancouver:

• Stanley Park (bike around it, go to the aquarium, etc)
  • Queen Elizabeth Park
  • Glanville Island and Market (take the water taxi there and back)
  • HOHO bus
  • Gas Town
  • Chinatown
  • Robson Street
  • Have a desert at Death By Chocolate
  • If it is going on while you are there, I'd suggest Bard on the Beach

Love Vancouver. It is my favorite city in North America.

If the budget allows and you really want to do Victoria and the gardens (both wonderful but time consuming) then you can do a seaplane/tour with harbour air - I believe you get the seaplane there are then the ferry back, but it is at least all arranged so you would have more time on your hands. We also did the Whistler train and seaplane combo last summer - again, expensive and time consuming but well worth it for both portions. Now if I only had 2 days in our fabulous city, I would most definitely just stay Downtown and see the sights - Stanley Park can take up an entire day and walking around the neghbourhoods/beaches/shopping district could easily take up another. I recommend Granville Island, Grouse Mountain and both Capilano and Lynn Park...I've lived here for 4 years and still haven't seen and done all I want to in Vancouver!

here2cruise: I think you are on the same cruise as my husband and I: Diamond Princess, May 23rd. We are also staying at the Pan Pacific. If you would like to learn something about some things we will hopefully see on our cruise, I would recommend two places:

1) The Aquarium at Stanley Park. I've been in a number of aquariums, and this one is excellent.

2) The Museum of Anthropology at UBC which has an outstanding collection of totem poles and other First Nations art. This might be of interest if you're not planning to take any of the totem excursions in Ketchikan. It's also a good thing to do if the weather turns nasty. I think it's about a 20 min drive away, but I found it pretty easy to take a taxi back and forth.

I also highly recommend a walk on the seawall which skirts the water side of Stanley Park. It's free, a pleasant walk (flat and paved) and has truly gorgeous views. You can get some great pictures of the Pan Pacific and Canada Place across the water and awesome city shots, if you're interested. You can also wander into Stanley Park if you see something interesting.

My husband and I are thinking of going to the Chinatown Night Market on Friday evening (runs from 6:30 - 11:00pm). I've never been to this before, so I can't say how good it is yet.

here2cruise: I think you are on the same cruise as my husband and I: Diamond Princess, May 23rd. We are also staying at the Pan Pacific. If you would like to learn something about some things we will hopefully see on our cruise, I would recommend two places:

1) The Aquarium at Stanley Park. I've been in a number of aquariums, and this one is excellent.

2) The Museum of Anthropology at UBC which has an outstanding collection of totem poles and other First Nations art. This might be of interest if you're not planning to take any of the totem excursions in Ketchikan. It's also a good thing to do if the weather turns nasty. I think it's about a 20 min drive away, but I found it pretty easy to take a taxi back and forth.

I also highly recommend a walk on the seawall which skirts the water side of Stanley Park. It's free, a pleasant walk (flat and paved) and has truly gorgeous views. You can get some great pictures of the Pan Pacific and Canada Place across the water and awesome city shots, if you're interested. You can also wander into Stanley Park if you see something interesting.

My husband and I are thinking of going to the Chinatown Night Market on Friday evening (runs from 6:30 - 11:00pm). I've never been to this before, so I can't say how good it is yet.

thanks to eveyrone for the great ideas...gives us something to think about...i went to http://www.viator.com and now have several more possibilities!!!! guess we should have given ourselves more time to do it all....so many things we want to do...yes we are on the same cruise & same hotel....it has been nice being able to say NEXT month is the cruise...pretty soon it will be in a couple of weeks...we are getting excited!!!! any news on Mt Redoubt? I haven't heard much....

The Pan Pacific is a great choice - it's a beautiful hotel and you'll have wonderful "up close" views of the various ships coming in to dock. We were excited about our cruise but that sent us into overdrive!

Another idea is Grouse Mountain. http://www.grousemountain.com Wonderful tram ride on the North Shore - beautiful view of Vancouver.

The Vancouver Aquarium is worth a visit as well. http://www.vanaqua.org

There is lots to see and do in Vancouver - you shouldn't have too much trouble finding something to do.

Archived