Ice and Water

QuakerBoy

Going to Bermuda on NCL Majesty May 2. First cruise. Staying in category C, deluxe outside cabin. How does one get ice to the room? Is the water from the tap drinkable, or how does one get decent water? IE: do you need to use room service or are there ice machines like in hotels?

The stewards fill the ice bucket twice daily. The first time in the morning and the second time in the evening. If you require more, call room service. The tap water aboard the ship is very good, as drinkable as bottled water, its the same reverse osmosis filtering process. They use the same ice machines but they are kept in areas marked for the crew only. A suggestion if you go through a lot of ice is to bring a foldable ice chest and ask the stewards to fill it with ice too.

Just my opinion, but I rarely find the ship's tap water to be as good as bottled water or water from a good municipal system. This is particularly true on older ships, where a lot of "who knows what" has accumulated in the pipes over the years.

In your cabin there is an ice bucket which is filled in the morning, when they make up your room, and again in the evening when they turn down your bed. Depending on how much ice you need or use, just let the steward know and they will bring you more if needed. You can always get ice thru room service, or during the hours the buffet is open. I don't think we ever drank water from the faucet, so I don't know about that, but in every place to eat, the water is fine.

Just my opinion, but I rarely find the ship's tap water to be as good as bottled water or water from a good municipal system. This is particularly true on older ships, where a lot of "who knows what" has accumulated in the pipes over the years.

And the bottled water mostly done by soda companies come from city water supplies with pipes four or five times the age of most ships. They use the same reverse osmosis filtering systems at the bottling plants ships use. However, if you feel better buying bottled water, and lugging the weight of the water around, you are welcome to bring the water.

Also NCL is now printing new luggage limits, although their web site has different information. If NCL does limit checked baggage to two fifty pound bags in the future, not many are going to afford the luxury of a case of bottled water replacing one of their bags.

And the bottled water mostly done by soda companies come from city water supplies with pipes four or five times the age of most ships. They use the same reverse osmosis filtering systems at the bottling plants ships use. However, if you feel better buying bottled water, and lugging the weight of the water around, you are welcome to bring the water.

Also NCL is now printing new luggage limits, although their web site has different information. If NCL does limit checked baggage to two fifty pound bags in the future, not many are going to afford the luxury of a case of bottled water replacing one of their bags.

I don't buy the bottled water from the two biggest soda companies.

In any event, I never carry water onto the ship. If I find the water on board is not to my taste, I'll buy a couple of bottles of Evian during the course of the cruise as I need it. Since I'm not much of a drinker...maybe just having a glass of wine or a beer now and again, I don't have a big bar bill, so spending or $25 or $30 for water for the week doesn't significantly dent my wallet.

The idea of the ships water being as good or better than bottled water may be true for the newest ships it certainly is NOT for the Majesty, I love her but her water is awful.

Bring water with you or buy it on board.

The idea of the ships water being as good or better than bottled water may be true for the newest ships it certainly is NOT for the Majesty, I love her but her water is awful.

Bring water with you or buy it on board.

Exactly as I said...I've found the problem to be mostly with older ships.

Archived