Zaandam Chairs on Public balcony/ Navigation Deck

cruisinmom68

We are all set for our May Alaska Cruise on the Zaandam!But I have one question for those that have encountered the small public balcony on the back of the ship, Navigation Deck.

Are there chairs out there or loungers? If not who would we ask to have a couple put there for our use?

Thanks so much!

We are all set for our May Alaska Cruise on the Zaandam!But I have one question for those that have encountered the small public balcony on the back of the ship, Navigation Deck.

Are there chairs out there or loungers? If not who would we ask to have a couple put there for our use?

Thanks so much!

I've never been on the Zaandam, but on S&R HAL ships that we have been on we've found 1 to 4 loungers on those small stern decks.

I don't know if your cabin steward could get one or two put there if there was none, but in any case they wouldn't be for your exclusive use, and you may find them occupied when you got there! :)

I realize I cannot reserve chairs. I should have phrased my original question a little better.

I have seen photos of this area and I have not seen any showing a place to sit. We plan on spending many hours there so a couple of chairs would be great. If there are not usually chairs in this area I was thinking about bringing something like chair pads so we can at least sit down and have something comfy under our rears.

I am in the "secret cabin" so all I have to do is look out the window and see if anyone is there or not before I venture out.:)

From those that I have spoken to or those that have been in this cabin say this is a very quiet deck and the aft portion is very rarely discovered by passengers. No guarantees I know but my heart is counting on it.

Thanks for your replies.

When we were on the Volendam Alaska cruise this was our favorite place and we had a balcony cabin. It was always nice and quiet. There were loungers one deck down too but the railing was solid so you couldn't see out if you were sitting down.

We have sailed on the Zaandam -- there are a few laounge chairs on the aft portion of Naviagation Deck. First come -- first served. No reservations here.
And this has always surprised me ... the fact that anyone could use that deck (as it used to be ... not now with the new areas being built there). I always thought it was funny how people could walk through the Navigation Deck corridors to get out on that deck ... people who were not staying in those suites. I was always surprised that the Navigation Deck wasn't the private enclave of passengers staying on that deck. But, no ... that's not the way it is, and anyone could snag those few loungers there, even the person staying down on the Dolphin deck in an inside cabin.

Like I said, though ... I never understood that.

Blue skies ...

--rita

And this has always surprised me ... the fact that anyone could use that deck (as it used to be ... not now with the new areas being built there).

There's no new areas being built there on the Zaandam, Volendam or Amsterdam. This has always been a cabin area, and not just suites, either.

Archived